Jon Favreau directing Iron Man, good or bad?

Nightwing 52

Things change
Reaction score
As alot of us know, it was announced Friday that Jon Favreau would be helming Iron Man. I've noticed some people here seem to enjoy the choice, while others do not and wanted someone else like Alex Proyas directing instead. Or because Favreau has mostly directed comedies since first becoming a director. I was a bit curious as to hearing your opinions on the news, and wanted to talk about it fairly in this thread.

Personally, I think he'll do a great job. He's admitted to knowing and being a fan of comics when he played Foggy Nelson in Daredevil, along with being the one to talk Famke Janssen into taking the role of Jean Grey for the X-Men franchise. My only hope is that he'll get rid of the thought of Tony Stark facing his own father in the film, and will come up with something fresh or taking an actual villain from the comics. Favreau seems to be well on his way with the film's progression since first signing on to direct it, he even talked about how he'll be using an extensive use of CGI.

Discuss.

I dont have any basis of thinking that he will do a great job, i just dont like to be negative. I'd like to think he'll do fine, and as u say he's a comic fan so that comforts me a lil.

SWEET CHRISTMAS.

'Course, I think he'll do an awesome job. He's the right guy for it, I don't have any doubts at all.

Mixed, but more bad than good :o

On the good side, i like the man as an actor and he knows comics.
On the bad side, nothing he did so far as a director gives any nothing that he is the right man for the job.
He only did comedies so far, and none of those are particulary great. They are funny, cool, but nowhere near great.

Jon is a Good Story Teller, he`s deep with the characters, and his vision is for all ages, plus he knows a character like Iron Man, because Jon Favreau is a great Comicbook fan. Jon Favreau as director for Iron Man Movie is a Great Choice.

Oh I hope he will be good. Iron Man is one of my favorites. What movies did he direct?

psylockolussus said:
Oh I hope he will be good. Iron Man is one of my favorites. What movies did he direct?

Mainly Elf and Zathura, both were comedies.

Favreau has great talent at directing and storytelling. His directing style is very simple and he seems to worry more about storytelling than making it look overly pretty with crazy camera moves.

I think he'll do a good job, granted its very early in this process, and he still needs a script and actor, but as have been said, he is a comicbook fan and thats a positive.

cerealkiller182 said:
Favreau has great talent at directing and storytelling. His directing style is very simple and he seems to worry more about storytelling than making it look overly pretty with crazy camera moves.

He was saying something close to that when talking about directing the film and using CGI in this interview.

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68735

As Favreau said in an interview quoted in the trade, he’ll be looking to use CGI with the project, something he has been reluctant to do, making Iron Man his first film which will use the technology extensively. “I think that now, through motion-capture and the integration of miniatures with CGI, like in King Kong, I'm starting to be a lot more convinced by what the technology can do,” Favreau is quoted as saying. “But the idea of using CGI and relying solely on that to tell your story, those days are past. I think that integrating practical filmmaking and augmenting it with CGI is the key to making it an emotionally involved story."

I hope he rises to the occasion. Who would have thought Sam Raimi would do the job he did?

There is zero doubt in my mind with Favreau. I loved Elf but Zathura was awesome. I liked Jumanji a little but when I heard they were making this movie Zathura I was like "REHASH"...boring. Anyways I went to see it and I was shocked at how well put together the film was and how the characters really came alive. I was sucked into that movie. Really well done film.

i'll give him the benefit of the doubt

I too will give him the benefit of the doubt.

and from what I've read from the articles and the posters here, he genuinly seems to be very passionate about comic book characters.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, Bryan Singer and Sam Raimi have done excellent jobs with their franchises and they have all most the same backgrounds as Jon when it comes to directing movies.

i don't care either way, as long as they make a descent iron man film.

Batman said:
Mainly Elf and Zathura, both were comedies.

What about Made? The movie had some pretty heavy and dark material in it.

TheVileOne said:
What about Made? The movie had some pretty heavy and dark material in it.

I've never watched it, was it any good? When I get the chance, I'll check it out. All I know is that Vince Vaughn was in it, that's where I see the whole "Vince Vaugn for Iron Man" coming from.

I think the fact that he's so into Marvel bodes well for this project. I'm not too familiar with his work so I can't really comment on it, but I've heard a lot of good buzz. Overall, I have a good feeling. :up:

*sigh*....maybe, but I am not hopeful...not digging the script or premise.

Sounds like the script needs alot of work. Better not go father-son route.

I have no idea how he'll be. Elf was pretty damn good but I never saw Zathura. I'll at least wait for some casting announcements/official pics to make any sort of judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"