Iron Man Casting Poll 3.0 (I'm sending link to Jon Favreau's Blog)

hunter rider said:
Well i knew of him from Party of 5 (JLH the good days:( ) but i think the fact he is now well known shouldn't be a factor,he has the look and build for Stark and is also a decent actor with enough interest him to gain attention in the project without the unwanted attention a megastar would bring,good balance IMO

he would be a pretty good choice.

Advanced Dark said:
Collateral was a good film but every actor wants a franchise because if successful it gives you the monster checks. Actors might pretend they're above that but that's because they can't get into a franchise that does well.

This is sooo true.

Iron Man's original artist is said to have based Stark's LOOKS off of Errol Flynn

Subsequent artists haven't really. And Jude Law isn't an amazing physical match for Flynn anyway, just as Leo wasn't for Howard Hughes. Edward Burns looks more like Errol Flynn than Jude Law.

If you're gonna cast someone from Gattaca to play Stark it should definately be Ethan Hawke, not Jude Law. He's got more range and more depth. Particularly when compared to an American accent immitating Jude Law. Law's Yank-speak is good, not great, and it usually brings with it a self-awareness that hurts his performance.

Much like Ewan McGregor, Jude Law can't do an American accent to save his life.

BT18 said:
Iron Man's original artist is said to have based Stark's LOOKS off of Errol Flynn

Subsequent artists haven't really. And Jude Law isn't an amazing physical match for Flynn anyway, just as Leo wasn't for Howard Hughes. Edward Burns looks more like Errol Flynn than Jude Law.

If you're gonna cast someone from Gattaca to play Stark it should definately be Ethan Hawke, not Jude Law. He's got more range and more depth. Particularly when compared to an American accent immitating Jude Law. Law's Yank-speak is good, not great, and it usually brings with it a self-awareness that hurts his performance.

Errol Flynn? I always saw Clark Gable as Stark.

Anyway, I agree that Hawke would be better than Law. I like Law, but he's the same in everything (I haven't seen Road To Perdition, which I hear is a departure for him), the same friendly, charming British guy. I understand that charm is essential for Stark, and Law could probably pull off that aspect. But when it comes to Stark's alcoholism, Law would probably fall flat.

I still think the best choice would be Crudup, even if he doesn't have any interest in a comic book role (though I think he may have screentested for Batman Begins). The guy was plaint brilliant in Almost Famous (which is my favorite movie), he really showed he could nail both aspects of Stark.

My Top 5 picks for Stark are Crudup, Caviezel, Hawke, Norton and Fox (though I'd prefer him for Captain America).

Tom Cruise: I like the guy. His movies are consistent and a good creative team and nice budget go hand and hand with the man's name. I don't give a crap about his personel life.

Charlie Sheen: ughh

Mark Whalberg:dear lord no

Ed Norton: no. good actor, but not Stark.

Jim Caviezel: I can live with him, although Hal Jordan would be better.

Oded Fehr: come one man. He's cool, but no way he'd be cast.

Leonardo DiCaprio: I have no problem with Leo as Stark, even though he don't look like him.

James Franco: Harry Osbourne

Viggo Mortenson: I like him,but as Stark??? I don't know.

Clive Owen: No

Orlando Bloom: Why is this guy considered A-list? Don't care how much Hollywood tries to shove this guy down our throat, he'll never be a box office draw to me. How many films has this guy made with him in the lead and the film tanked? POTC and LOTR were not vehicles for him. He has the look somewhat, but he doesn't sit right with me.

Gerard Butler: Who????

Matt Dillion: he'd be OK, but his voice.

Brendan Fraser: I wouldn't be mad at this, but i'd pick someone else first.

Joseph Fiennes: no

Josh Lucas: Maj Talbert or whatever and no.

Vince Vaughn: good lord no. This isn't the Madd version of IM.

Eddie Cibrian: Who? NO star power. The Cave. He'd work looks wise.

Matthew Fox: Very cool

Billy Zane: no. Good actor who never caught a big break, but he's not stark.

Guy Pearce: as Tony Stark??? Nah.

Matthew McConaughey: Wow Tony Stark with a texas twang. hell no.

Joaquin Phoenix: I could live with this choice.

Ashton Kutchner: is this a joke

Other &/or an Unknown: probably, but the film won't get a good budget.

John Depp: Hell Yeah!!

Martin Henderson: From Torque? Oh jebus.

Jude Law: what? Lord No

Dylan McDermott: cool choice, but it'll never happen. The guy's a tv star at best.

Billy Crudup: One of my top picks, but sadly he has no star power and would never be cast as a lead in a big budget unless it's something that can sell itself without a list stars like King Kong or something.

Liev Schreiber: Hmm, I don't know. Not really. Don't see him as Stark.

At least nobody has mentioned "Screech" to play Stark yet?

screech.jpg

i think all this hatred for Ashton Kutcher is hilarious

everyone is basing thier opinion on past career choices when damn near everyone anyone has named has done a horrible film

I think Kutcher would be an inspired choice and Ive seen good things when actors are cast outside their norm

BRUTAL said:

everyone is basing thier opinion on past career choices when damn near everyone anyone has named has done a horrible film

I think Kutcher would be an inspired choice and Ive seen good things when actors are cast outside their norm
:down :down

BRUTAL said:

Every film hes done has been horrible.

Darthphere said:
Every film hes done has been horrible.

Thats kind of a personal opinion now isn't it?

i actualy thought the butterfly effect was pretty good, aside from needing a bit of help on the writing and some direction as far as the visuals go i thought all of the performances were actually very well done

Advanced Dark said:
At least nobody has mentioned "Screech" to play Stark yet?

screech.jpg

You have a sick and twisted mind. :eek:

BRUTAL said:
intelligence prevails

i bow to your wisdom
Ashton Kutcher playing a respectable superhero is unacceptable.

It would be like Justin Timberlake playing Thomas Jefferson.

I can't believe I'm debating this.

blind_fury said:
Ashton Kutcher playing a respectable superhero is unacceptable.

It would be like Justin Timberlake playing Thomas Jefferson.

I can't believe I'm debating this.

Once again this comes down to personal opinion

Where is the difference between casting someone with little film SUCCESS (Kutcher) and casting someone with ZERO film experience like an unknown?

I personally want Johnny Depp, that way Stark is as interesting outside of the costume as in the armor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"