Jon Watts Exits As Director

I actually would have loved Peyton Reed for this, but I'm definitely curious what Jon Watts's take will be.

Feige has entrusted Watts with an IP that needs special care. I wonder what pitch Watts had or why he was chosen for this. Either way in Feige I trust.

I think what fans seem to forget is Watts has done 2 Spider-Man movies that performed very well and are liked by the general movie going public. Most of the things us fans may complain about I never see echoed by people who don't read comics. All they see are fun movies. Marvel clearly love his work. During that brief spat after FFH, dude was being recruited by BOTH Marvel and Sony. So, I don't think he had a pitch. I am pretty sure he was recruited.

I have mixed feelings on Watts as director. On one hand, the Spider-man movies do not have the correct tone or theme for a Fantastic Four movie, and thus are not indicative. . . and the ending of the second especially is utterly crap, not something I want for the FF. OTOH, judging Watts by the Spider-man movies is probably unfair, since those are ultimately kludges produced from an awkward joint custody arrangement.

If he can recapture the dynamic such as in the intimate moment Peter had with Mysterio before he betrayed him then I have a good feeling that Watts will present the family dynamic exceptionally well

I actually would have loved Peyton Reed for this, but I'm definitely curious what Jon Watts's take will be.
Getting Peyton would definitely have been a coming of full circle thing since Reed was the originally going to direct the first Fox FF movie before he left due to creative differences. That would be a happy ending to his FF story.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh I completely forgot Watts has been chosen. I almost made a “who do you want to be the director” thread! I never would have lived that down lol

I think what fans seem to forget is Watts has done 2 Spider-Man movies that performed very well and are liked by the general movie going public. Most of the things us fans may complain about I never see echoed by people who don't read comics. All they see are fun movies. Marvel clearly love his work. During that brief spat after FFH, dude was being recruited by BOTH Marvel and Sony. So, I don't think he had a pitch. I am pretty sure he was recruited.
Right, but my real question is why did he get recruited for the Fantastic Four. Of all the potential projects that would've been up at the time?

I recognize watts is capable especially since I personally like his spiderman movies. And I imagine that if they do another trilogy for spidey they'll hire a new guy to tell new stories.

I definitely hope Watts ups his game, because I found his Spider-Man movies nothing special. I'm hoping he doesn't change everything up with characters that are unrecognisable like in the Spider-Man films.

I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but after years of hope and anticipation this choice is a splash of cold water.

Remember when Tommy Wiseau was rumoured to be directing the sequel to Fant4stic?

Tommy Wiseau to direct FF2?

I suppose Feige was never going to entertain him as a possibility for the MCU.

Ha. “Oh hai Johnny”

no seriously, I think although we are all excited and we should be, let’s just keep in mind it’s just a movie and it’s not going to cure cancer. I think watts will be fine but if you have insanely high expectations they’ll never be met

Right, but my real question is why did he get recruited for the Fantastic Four. Of all the potential projects that would've been up at the time?

I recognize watts is capable especially since I personally like his spiderman movies. And I imagine that if they do another trilogy for spidey they'll hire a new guy to tell new stories.
Question
Has KEVIN Feige made a bad decision in choosing a director?

I’ve said from the beginning I trust Marvel’s ability to pick a director more than I trust my own.

Watts didn’t excite me when I first heard the announcement, but I think they could have done worse.

I also think Spider-man is bogged down by some Sony baggage and a general concept and framework that Watts is forced to work within and has limited control over.

I want the FF tone to be different and more epic than the Spidey films and I’m confident Watts and Feige will do that.

The Spider-Man films have a different feel than other Marvel films, and I don’t think that’s Watts. I think that has a lot to do with the Sony situation and the general concept of the high school setting.

I almost feel like Watts is in an awkward situation on the Spidey films and both he and Feige are looking forward to him being set free on a “real” Marvel film.

I’ve said from the beginning I trust Marvel’s ability to pick a director more than I trust my own.

Watts didn’t excite me when I first heard the announcement, but I think they could have done worse.

I also think Spider-man is bogged down by some Sony baggage and a general concept and framework that Watts is forced to work within and has limited control over.

I want the FF tone to be different and more epic than the Spidey films and I’m confident Watts and Feige will do that.

The Spider-Man films have a different feel than other Marvel films, and I don’t think that’s Watts. I think that has a lot to do with the Sony situation and the general concept of the high school setting.

I almost feel like Watts is in an awkward situation on the Spidey films and both he and Feige are looking forward to him being set free on a “real” Marvel film.

yes I feel that he tried to do his best John Hughes impression for the spiderman films. Now with Fantastic Four he can do something that can be a family centred movie thy hope a to be a superhero film. Not sure who he would take inspiration from. Something that was a strong family oriented show or movie. Without being too cheesy. Like a sitcom. For some reason Galaxy Quest comes to mind as well as Star Trek TNG.

How come Marvel passed over someone like Scott Buck for the FF after his fantastic renditions of Inhumans and Iron Fist? :o

Now that's a name I'd forgotten about. Is he even doing anything these days?

Heh. Oh dear that name is a cursed name. I wonder why he was able to get some many plum jobs though for so long?

Question
Has KEVIN Feige made a bad decision in choosing a director?

Alan Taylor for Thor The Dark World. Granted he was something like the third choice, but knowing how Marvel basically had to ask Whedon to help during the shooting, re-edited the movie to cut a lot of what he shot on top of shooting two new scenes at the start and a different ending scene, they really must not have liked his work.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but both MCU Spider-Man films have been a mixed bag for me so I was underwhelmed when I heard that he got the job.

But as has been pointed out, he wont have to deal with the weird corporate dynamics between two competing studios and the FF obviously require a different approach than Spidey so he may surprise us.

The Captain Marvel team wasn't particularly impressive. I do trust in his judgment on capable directors that can deliver the production they want.

Pretty much my first thought. At least 75% of everything wrong in Captain Marvel comes down to "Poor execution and/or overreach by the directors".

There's also Alan Taylor in Thor 2, but honestly I kind of suspect that was BTS drama vis a vis Perlmutter, myself.

If Jon Watts brings this type of energy with Fantastic Four I think we’re in for a treat.

This scene from Far From Home is an example of the visual flare he could bring to key staples of the FF mythos like the Negative Zone or some other dimension if he wants to realize them in live-action.

Last edited:
My response to those who still have an issue with Jon Watts being tapped to direct Fantastic Four ...

gotg-guardians-of-the-galaxy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"