With Watts Gone…Who Should Direct This Film?

Wes Anderson.

Jason Schwartsman as Reed
Greta Gerwig as Sue
Lucas Hedges as Johnny
Luke Wilson as Ben
Adrien Brody as Doom
Bill Murray as Galactus

Unlikely, I know.

Last edited:
How about Tom Hanks as Galactus? He's played astronauts before. I guess he's not the villain type, but hey Galactus is not a villain, he's a force of nature.

Tom Hanks has the potential to play a villain, see the underrated Sam Mendes film Road To Perdition.

Bill Murray is a great suggestion for the MCU - probably not as Galactus though. I could see him as an out of left field Mephisto or perhaps even an older version of Paladin or alternate dimension older version of Star Lord or Nova?

Wes Anderson.

Greta Gerwig as Sue
Lucas Hedges as Johnny
Luke Wilson as Ben
Adrien Brody as Doom
Bill Murray as Galactus

Unlikely, I know.

Owen Wilson as Silver Surfer? Ben Stiller as Annihilius?

I actually love Wes Anderson so I would totally watch this but I think he would struggle because marvel had a house style that might challenge his own

Wes Anderson.

Greta Gerwig as Sue
Lucas Hedges as Johnny
Luke Wilson as Ben
Adrien Brody as Doom
Bill Murray as Galactus

Unlikely, I know.
It's not that I dislike this fancasting. I am physically repulsed.

Bill Murray is a great suggestion for the MCU - probably not as Galactus though. I could see him as an out of left field Mephisto or perhaps even an older version of Paladin or alternate dimension older version of Star Lord or Nova?
I could see Murray as Mephisto, or the other guys you mentioned. But not as Galactus.
Maybe if Belushi or Farley were still alive - they looked like they could eat a planet.

Having just rewatched Jurassic Park (1993), I’d love to see a director approach Fantastic Four in a similar approach — ground the story in character interplay, but dazzle with the fantastic. It’s not necessarily about hero vs. villain but about the adventure and the thrills along the way as our characters grow and change.

Mole Man & the monsters of Subterranea are an easy way to bring some fun to the MCU—part of me is even tempted to merging/swapping it with Savage Land altogether. Have the Fantastic Four ever fought Sauron lol?

For director, I’m still on the Jon Favreau train—I think he can deliver the fantastic and spectacle, while bringing some heart to the proceedings too. Or Feige can go all the way back to Phase 1 and call in Joe Johnston. If he was announced I’d be (cautiously) optimistic. He at least knows adventure filmmaking.

Last edited:
Having just rewatched Jurassic Park (1993), I’d love to see a director approach Fantastic Four in a similar approach — ground the story in character interplay, but dazzle with the fantastic. It’s not necessarily about hero vs. villain but about the adventure and the thrills along the way as our characters grow and change.
Something they always used to say about Marvel comics was the best parts were when the heroes were just talking in a room, or doing something mundane like trying to catch a bus.

But one thing that bothered me about all of the FF movies was it always looked like they didn't have quite the budget to get a real spectacular display of their powers. I was always expecting more (except for the Trank film, where it was so bad I didn't care anyway).

re: director - hot take but whoever directed galaxy quest. That is a cult classic imo

Something they always used to say about Marvel comics was the best parts were when the heroes were just talking in a room, or doing something mundane like trying to catch a bus.

But one thing that bothered me about all of the FF movies was it always looked like they didn't have quite the budget to get a real spectacular display of their powers. I was always expecting more (except for the Trank film, where it was so bad I didn't care anyway).

yes that’s what makes The Avengers 2012 so good the talking scenes - honestly. I love me some Firefly and Whedon doesn’t get enough credit. He captured the Marvel comics spirit of heroes doing mundane things, such as arguing in a board room meeting like a dysfunctional family

I could see Murray as Mephisto, or the other guys you mentioned. But not as Galactus.
Maybe if Belushi or Farley were still alive - they looked like they could eat a planet.

If they choose Murray they can de age him as Mephisto
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Those smaller moments are what made the comics for me.

I think you need the smaller moments so that audiences care about the characters and what happens in the big moments.

But I also think the default shouldn’t be a lengthy, noisy, confusing battle scene at the end as has become the norm.

There should be danger and we should see the heroes use their powers, but when it gets too big, I think it just becomes visual noise and loses any sense of intensity.

There should be slow, quiet moments mixed in with the battle to make the danger, when it comes, feel more intense.

I like the Krascinski idea, Quiet Place is well regarded, and we know he has solid comedic sensibilities. Plus, ya know...

Those smaller moments are what made the comics for me.

I think you need the smaller moments so that audiences care about the characters and what happens in the big moments.

But I also think the default shouldn’t be a lengthy, noisy, confusing battle scene at the end as has become the norm.

There should be danger and we should see the heroes use their powers, but when it gets too big, I think it just becomes visual noise and loses any sense of intensity.

There should be slow, quiet moments mixed in with the battle to make the danger, when it comes, feel more intense.

I think Spider Man No Way Home executed what you said in the last paragraph very well

Currently I am enjoying the show “Our flag means death”. Some of the best episodes are directed by Nacho Vigalondo who also did the kaiju film Collosal.

anyway, I think he would be a stupendous pick. Marvel loves hiring television directors and he understands the link between comedy and genre as well as the theme of family and he’s worked with taika who I’m sure he could get tips from in terms of adapting Kirby stories very well. He would do very well

There is currently a rumour going around that Spielberg may be directing F4…

if this pans out as true, Feige is taking F4 with the most seriousness bringing on the biggest gun in the business that is not James Cameron…

i would not rule this out simply because Spielberg does not seem to have his playe full at the moment. Only one project in the plans while he typically has multiple at the same time

Last edited:
That would be amazing, but from what I’m reading, they may be interested him him, but he may not be interested in them.

But just getting it out there that they were considering him could be a selling point for other directors.

already debunked.

Last edited:
I hadn’t really thought of something like this as an option, but if Spielberg is being suggested, what about Peter Jackson?

I hope it's not a big name... they need someone like The Daniels or Dan Trachtenberg.

The Speilberg thing is never happening. But boy, if Kevin Feige somehow made that happen....I can only dream of how awesome that would be.

But, let's be real.....Steven Speilberg would be punching down to direct the FF. That dude has a blank check to do whatever he wants basically whenever he wants and have full creative control. He wouldn't get that with the FF, and there is no universe where Speilberg needs the FF to make a name for himself or something.

Obviously Spielberg is a capable director, but would he respect the legacy of the Fantastic Four, or would he want to impose his own vision on them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"