• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

King Kong extended edition

oh I'll be getting it. Granted, I'll have to plan ahead when I want to watch it:o

I've got it and its superb, watched it last night, ALL of the new bits are great, but the actual movie is only 13 mins longer, with 40mins of deleted scenes on the first disk. It is a better cut of the movie though and i loved the TC, the highlights are the swamp scene's and an extended chase scene after the ice-skating scene in NY. ANYONE who loved the TC will love this.

^Is the swamp scene,and the chase scene after the ice skating the entire 13 minutes of the extra footage?How long is the swamp scene?

^No, there are other scene's as well, one with a Triceratops and one were Lumpy thinks he's shot Anne, and some other extended scene's, like the escape from the island after they fail to capture Kong in the village, Kong goes ape**** on the village! The swamp scene is about 3-4 mins long and is great!

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
^No, there are other scene's as well, one with a Triceratops and one were Lumpy thinks he's shot Anne, and some other extended scene's, like the escape from the island after they fail to capture Kong in the village, Kong goes ape**** on the village! The swamp scene is about 3-4 mins long and is great!

How are the making of featurettes, are they long like in the LOTR extended editions?

I havent watched yet! I've barely had time to watch the movie but i know there are over 6 hours of bonus features on the 3rd disc alone! With more like deleted scene's, a commentary and gag reel on the 1st 2 discs.

superkong 500 said:
Is anyone here gonna buy the extended 3 disc dvd set?

I was wondering, if I'am the only one who's gonna buy it. I though the film was great, except for the damn too long first hour. But the extended scens and new scenes will be action stuff, more kong killing millitary and more new dinosaurs and other insects I think. plus the making of alone will be worth the price. I read somewhere that it is a three hour documentary explaining every detail of the production. How can we expect less from the guys who gave us the LOTR extended edtion dvds. What do you guys think?

I'm not sure. What else was there to show in such long film?

superkong 500 said:
Is anyone here gonna buy the extended 3 disc dvd set?

I was wondering, if I'am the only one who's gonna buy it. I though the film was great, except for the damn too long first hour. But the extended scens and new scenes will be action stuff, more kong killing millitary and more new dinosaurs and other insects I think. plus the making of alone will be worth the price. I read somewhere that it is a three hour documentary explaining every detail of the production. How can we expect less from the guys who gave us the LOTR extended edtion dvds. What do you guys think?

I'm getting it for sure.
I'm hoping they expand a LITTLE on the intro. And also expand on the military scenes.

This is what's called overdoing it. It was already full of extraneous stuff, heck it was really just some big rich fanboys wetdream than a real film. It's about as good as a kid recording themself playing with their action figures. I'm not surgar coating this for its fans. It's a bloated copy of the original film with a bunch of unnecessary junk added.

I'll stick with the giant robot in the 70s movie.

So how long is added in? 13 minutes?

In the special features does it show Peter Jackson with a double-bladed lightsaber fighting off dinousaurs?

GoldGoblin said:
In the special features does it show Peter Jackson with a double-bladed lightsaber fighting off dinousaurs?

Of course. The special features are amazing on this. It's definitely worth buying for that alone.

War Party said:
Of course. The special features are amazing on this. It's definitely worth buying for that alone.

^Sounds cool.

Wesyeed said:
This is what's called overdoing it. It was already full of extraneous stuff, heck it was really just some big rich fanboys wetdream than a real film. It's about as good as a kid recording themself playing with their action figures. I'm not surgar coating this for its fans. It's a bloated copy of the original film with a bunch of unnecessary junk added.

I'll stick with the giant robot in the 70s movie.

The original film was nothing but junk, they couldn't even make characters out of the characters, let alone out of the creatures.
Overdoing it would've been including the tons of extraneous stuff that was shown in the deleted scenes, as is he made an incredibly moving, exhilerating genre-bender that took a story that had great potential but was always horrendously executed since its conception.
Oh, and I'm not sugar-coating how horrid and unintentionally funny the so bad it's hilarious original was for its fans.
It's nice to know this very dated, bad to be generous film inspired much, much better films down the road, this being one of the many.

Did you seriously just diss the original King Kong?

The original feels a bit bogged down in parts, and that is HALF THE LEGNTH of the TC of the newest remake.
I never bought the new one, but will pick up this extended edition for all the dinosaurs. Curse my love of dinosaurs, otherwise there is no way in hell I would be buying this bloated excuse of a film.

Rez said:
Did you seriously just diss the original King Kong?

The original feels a bit bogged down in parts, and that is HALF THE LEGNTH of the TC of the newest remake.
I never bought the new one, but will pick up this extended edition for all the dinosaurs. Curse my love of dinosaurs, otherwise there is no way in hell I would be buying this bloated excuse of a film.

Yes, because it's terrible and only good for unintentional laughs. Pacing was the least of the problem with the original, the characterization was downright idiotic. Kong was nothing but a stupid, dumb brute that liked to break stuff with nothing else to his so-called character, Ann was a greedy ***** that wanted to sell him out for cash when he was brought back to NY without thinking twice about it and she clearly felt nothing but fear for him...the writing was ****ing pitiful.

Unintentional laughs? That alone would be more entertainment value than anything in this bore fest of a remake. You want to talk idiotic characterization and piss poor writing, we can start with the 30 minutes worth of scenes on Jimmy the Cabin boy and that Black guy that had nothing to do with anything. Kong was exactly the same; he was in love with the girl. The difference was we didn't have to put up with an hour of her loving him back- and cut right to the "Man is the real monster" message and cue credits, instead of the bloated back and forth garbage in this remake.

Jimmy had about 2 scenes devoted mainly to him, and I agree that they sucked, but he didn't have enough of an impact on the overall film for it to matter much. Kong wasn't the same in the least, he bonded with her rather than doing nothing but frightning her. She was the reason that he climbed the empire state building to spend his final moments with her, false hope of seeing her again was the reason that sparked his rampage in NY, seeing her being forcefully pulled away is why he fights so furiously during his capture; in the remake he just rampages and climbs around for the sake of it, there was no feeling whatsoever between them (not that I can blame them, since they were both such horrible excuses for characters in the original that there wasn't really much of anything to like, let alone love)...
The only difference we have is their relationship is deeply moving and fleshed out rather than a bunch of an idiotic Kong growling and breaking things while Ann screams in terror because he is the monster that he's labeled as, and there's nothing more to him, unlike PJ's wildly entertaining, moving, brilliantly crafted even if it is flawed film.
Jackson adapting such a bad movie into such a beautiful story that effectively showed how destructive the ignorance of humanity can be rather than just showing an action figure break toy models gave me even more respect for an already great (to put it mildly) filmmaker.

Ah, you reveal yourself. I wasn't going to say anything before, but it's obvious from your statement's now that you just can't handle a film that doesn't have WOW OMFG CGI effects in it.

Like I said before, Kong is exactly the same; you can deny it all you want, it simply isn't true. I suggest you watch the original again if you really think this. Perhaps it's conveyed in a more convincing matter in the remake(ie expressions) given the technology at hand, but they are still the same charecter. Like you said, the only difference is that in the remake they bond- but at the end of the day that bond is not necessary. Darrow still serves as the catalyst for Kong to become captured, escape, chased, and ultimately killed- whether or not she's screaming in terror or crying in sadness doesn't really make a damn bit of difference- except that the crying took an hour, and the screaming took a few minutes.

Actually, the effects are the least of why I think PJ's films is terrific and why I think the original film is terrible, hence why I commented on how horrible and uneven the characterization is in the original. The Ann/Kong relationship in PJ's film is the moving relationship I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing between two characters, in the original it's an angry simian carrying around a terrified blond woman perfectly willing to sell him out if she can profit from it that's terrified, because he is nothing but the monster that he's labeled as, defeating entirely what should be the purpose of the story.

Yes, you said before that Kong is exactly the same, and you can insist upon it all you want, but it won't make it accurate. The bond is a HUGE difference in the character, why he reacts the way he does rather than just doing it because he's a big pissed off ape is a HUGE difference in the character. Kong really didn't become captured, escape, chased, and killed because of her in the original, that happened because he was a big pissed off ape that liked to break stuff, he didn't react to situations based on how he felt about her because they really didn't feel a damn thing for each other(except for the terror he made her feel). Ann pouring her heart out at what happens to Kong makes a massive difference compared to showing nothing but fear (since that's all he gave her reason to show in the original), and the subtely of their reunion in NY is beautiful, the look in her eyes when she sees him again is incredibly moving(has nothing to do with CGI by the way)and vastly more powerful than the entire original film, which isn't saying much.
In the original she's just there while things happen to Kong, she's not really the reason. The piss poor execution(and I'm talking about characterization and storytelling primarily, not effects work)make the original completely void of the heart and of the message present in PJ's film. They did the best they could with what was available at the time effects-wise, that's understandable, but there's no excuse for the plethora of other massive flaws, larger than Kong himself, that make it a horrible film.

The extended version is great (of course)....I've only watched the movie, none of the extras...but it's worth the money as is.

Ah well, clearly we aren't going to change eachothers mind... at least we know where we stand. Agree to disagree?

Kaboom said:
i wonder if peter jackson films all this extra fotageknowing itll never make it into the movie, but just for the Extended cuts

Although I'm sure that some scenes are filmed so that you want to be the same movie for the third time, I'm sure that all film makers film scenes that don't make it in their releases simply because they either weren't the best scenes or that they were the least necessary to make a film fit within a certain time frame.

I cant understand anyone who doesnt like PJ's KK, sure, i loved the original as a kid, and it was superb for its time, but PJ's KK just has so much heart, and the extended edition just makes it even better! Anyone who was a fan of the TC should buy this straight away.

I am for sure getting this...after many viewings of the film in the theatres and on DVD...I am ready for my full lenght longer version. I know everyone and their mother's mother complained about the length...I felt that it was well paced. I did get the feeling things were missing from the already long running time...but I didn't realize how much until now...Its clear though, Peter Jackson really only wanted to film the Skull Island/Jungle adventure portion of the movie...who could blame him? Those were the most thrilling moments in the movie...damn straight I want more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"