King Kong Extended Edition Announced!

Maybe i'm just used to obscenely long foreign films...but King Kong didn't feel that long to me.

For me, the quiet scene on the frozen pond in Central Park makes the whole movie worth it. The innocence, the piano, snow and Christmas setting - it's all just perfect and wonderful and heartbreaking, knowing what's coming.

I actually like the film, I mean I agree its too damn long to even watch but everyone acts well and the great majority is entertaining. I actually think Jack Black could make it as a serious actor. But I digress.

For me, the quiet scene on the frozen pond in Central Park makes the whole movie worth it. The innocence, the piano, snow and Christmas setting - it's all just perfect and wonderful and heartbreaking, knowing what's coming.
And right after it is overtaken by excess again. Moments of genuine goodness overpowered right after by vain indulgence. A good film trapped by debilitating fat.

What's different about the extended cut other than more action scenes?

The difference is almost entirely action sequences on Skull Island.

A triceratops storming the crow in the woods, The crew getting attacked in a swamp by a giant piranha, Kong's capture is a bit longer, and some extended dialogue here and there. Nothing is added to the first hour at all.

And right after it is overtaken by excess again. Moments of genuine goodness overpowered right after by vain indulgence. A good film trapped by debilitating fat.

The whole point of that scene was to be the calm before the storm scene. It goes from a massive action that stops on a dime when Kong sees Ann and instantly turns all of his attention to her, to a quiet, personal moment between the two of them that is interrupted by the military leading into the finale.
The calm before the storm moment of course wouldn't work without the storm.

I have no idea how someone can call the empire state building sequence "debilitating fat" or "vain indulgence," what follows that is the very iconic finale of the story.

Last edited:
My favorite segments were the Skull Islanders kidnapping Ann (Anne?), plus the dinosaur chases. A whole movie on Jackson's Skull Island would've been more interesting, I think, than a remake.

This thread is back from the dead since 2006

Any word on a possible 3D re-release ?

I know every one hates 3D but watching PJ's Kong. It truly needs 3D is just. Beautiful picture.

Easily my favorite Peter Jackson film.

Do these additional action scenes really add anything to the movie though? They could just save them for a game if they're just more set pieces. I even thought some of these action scenes on the island went on too long, almost for the sake of just showing off special effects.

They should release a King Kong reduced edition DVD. :p

Massive action set pieces with giant creatures are always a major part of the Kong experience, they add fun and spectable to the movie and show what's going on with everyone else in the film while Kong is with Ann.

Allways loved this film, even as a kid. I think the setting was perfect, does the extended version offer much more?

Allways loved this film, even as a kid. I think the setting was perfect, does the extended version offer much more?

Not really. Some scenes are extended, some are new (for instance the Triceratops/Sea Monster attack), but ultimately the scenes don't really add to the overall film itself. As the film is just as entertaining without them.

The theatrical version is too long let alone an extended version.

I recently picked the EE up on Bluray recently and one thing I was really disappointed in was the the Special Features were missing like what the DVD Edition did. Might have to go back to NZ and dig it out of storage.

this movie was my first real date when I was 14. :up:

Oh lord, how the hell do you make it any longer? :facepalm:

I was wondering the same. I guess you can add 5 other post secondary uninteresting characters/sailors on that ship whose stories you can expand for no reason. And a lot more of slo mo scenes.

Jackson's King Kong is my cure if I'm tossing and turning in my bed. Pop that sucker in and bam..ZZZZ TOWN!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"