Kryptonite in first film... Extent of use?

Zack Snyder

Sidekick
Reaction score
Love it? Sick of it? How would you handle it for first film?

The way I would do it is Krypton explodes and absolutely none of it drifts toward earth. I don't want it in the film at all.

I say it is as important to the mythos of Superman as Luthor or Lois. Just because it was badly used and very inconsistent in SR doesnt it mean that it should never appear again in a movie.

It doesn't seem like Metallo will be in the first film (damn) so if that's the case, might as well leave it out as weapon for Lex in the first film. I would like Superman to rise above all and before the film end, a scene with Mercy who says to Lex "He has no weakness." and Lex has a gigantic operation going on where digging takes place. He then turns to her and says "Super or not... Every man has a weakness"

No Kryptonite at all. For now.

It's overused and is hardly necessary to tell a Superman story. Better utilized for the villains that actually use it, such as Metallo and Lex. And for once, PLEASE make it rare. It's practically a supporting cast member and that's beyond convenient.

The way I would do it is Krypton explodes and absolutely none of it drifts toward earth. I don't want it in the film at all.
that's right. i had have enough of kryptonite ***** in the previous movies/tv series.

I think it should be in the film, but used in a more interesting way than before. I loved what they did with it in Birthright. I also love the idea of Lex in a Kryptonite battlesuit. And of course, Metallo is powered by it, so that would work.

Anything besides Lex just pulling it out of his pocket and holding it up to Superman. I am so sick of seeing that.

As long as it's not used as a piece of rock or a laser beam...with Superman just waltzing into a "Ha....gotcha'!" scheme...

(Batman vs. Superman, Pt. 6)

1zdotqp.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to see kara in a sequel. Her ship could land followed by kryptonite.

I don't want it so freely used either. I like how in the comics it was something slowly discovered, Superman was unsure what was happening to him. And when he did find out he became very concerned. It's got to be used sparingly and be (dramatically) built up again.

I wouldn't want it as a major plot point right away. It's more effective the longer Superman is built up as invulnerable. Then the kryptonite appears. At this point, it just seems too convenient and cliche.

kryptonite-superman061-42.jpg

Thing with Superman is... how can you possibly put his life in danger? Nothing works but Kryptonite. It has to be there.

It's not just kryptonite that can defeat Superman. Other Kryptonians equal his power, monsters like Doomsday can defeat him, he's been mind-controlled by Maxwell Lord. He can be emotionally manipulated- that can stop him. There have been many other ways. You can't just rely on kryptonite as the solution all the time. I think it should show up at some point but the writers shouldn't have that to fall back on every time and whenever possible come up with something else.

If I hear that bs idea that Superman can only be defeated by kryptonite again.......I'm going to troll that persons house. STAS did it well. The answer is technology. Can't kill supes with bullets.....into energy gun. Need someone to go toe to toe. Enter Parasite or the new Brainiac(who put Superman down without needing Kryptonite). Conventional weapons don't work on superman, so you create unconventional ones.

Thing with Superman is... how can you possibly put his life in danger? Nothing works but Kryptonite. It has to be there.

If I hear that bs idea that Superman can only be defeated by kryptonite again.......I'm going to troll that persons house. STAS did it well. The answer is technology. Can't kill supes with bullets.....into energy gun. Need someone to go toe to toe. Enter Parasite or the new Brainiac(who put Superman down without needing Kryptonite). Conventional weapons don't work on superman, so you create unconventional ones.

It is certainly possible to create life threatening scenarios without the use of Green K. It just requires the writers to decide on a consisent level of their meaning of 'invulnerable'.

Like don't have him spinning the world backwards in one scene, and then getting beaten by electricity in the next.

However, I love kryptonite. I shamefully consider it my Superman guilty pleasure. I never get tired of it :p

And I think it has it's place, it's a part of the mythos.

It's almost a cliched symbol. It is the symbol for 'every man has a weakness', and having it be this consistent, named, visual thing throught Superman lore is kind of cool. It's things like that, that make the story timeless. Because you can take all 'basic' elements of Superman (Clark, Lois, Superman triangle, Lex Luthor arch enemy, Kryptonite, Krypton exploding etc) and put them in the setting of whatever time your in, and they still work. Kryptonite is definitely a part of that basic element that runs through.

It's been consistently badly used, yes. But i'll be slightly dissapointed if it's not used at least a little bit in the film.

With Zod in the mix, does it make it more or less likely to see Kryptonite? I mean, if Zod and Lex are working together there is a potential for a weapons collaberation to happen. On the other hand, his power will be equal to that of Superman, even if not as skilled. I would still hope it is left as a discovery by Lex at the end. I dunno, kind of like the Joker's card in some capacity.

I'd rather have no kryptonite used in this film; it does not seem necessary since Zod will be the in it and he should be able to go toe to toe with Superman.

When Kryptonite is introduced in later films I hope that they maintain its effects realistic - I mean, I hope that Kryptonite does not just zap all of Superman's powers instantly, it's better to have it affect him slowly. If a villain uses Kryptonite on Superman, he should still be able to have his powers - able to take off a Kryptonite necklace and throw it away far enough to save himself.

Depends on the context. If it's some sort of main weapon point, I'd say no. But to introduce it in some sort of small way to add to the origin there I have no beef with that.

I really liked the KRyptonite effects in Smallville that showed him getting poisoned.

Kryptonite should only be used when nothing else can present a physical threat to Superman. Ultimately, it's only a plot device as without it we have a Superman who's basically invincible against 99% of his enemies and threats, and the lack of perceived threat to our protagonist removes any tension or buildup from the film.

Superman vs Zod?
Superman vs Doomsday?
Superman vs Brainiac?

All very evenly matched, so no need for Kryptonite.

Luthor presents more of an intellectual threat, and Metallo is not as powerful phsyically so both rely on Kryponite at times to strengthen their position.

I personally wouldn't like to see it getting overused in the film. Let see the writers actually engage their brains and come up with something which can threaten Superman and isn't green or radioactive.

Show it at the very end. I don't want it used in any way, shape, or form to stop Superman OR Zod.
I want a good old fashioned a$$ kicking to be used in stopping the villain.

Green Kryptonite is the only substance that can kill Superman, but there are many ways to defeat(neutralize) him, and the rare nature of the element on Earth should make those alternative methods more prevelant.

As far as including it in the first film......no...particularly if Zod is the villian.

based on Zod being in the film now, I don't think Kryptonite is used. At least, there is a story where Superman is where protective gear to use kryptoniite against Zod, I could see that happening

based on Zod being in the film now, I don't think Kryptonite is used. At least, there is a story where Superman is where protective gear to use kryptoniite against Zod, I could see that happening
Based on Zod being in the film, Kryptonite absolutely has to be used. I'm sorry but Kryptonians are immortal, infinitely powerful and basically unstoppable by any other means. they don't need to eat or sleep, They only get tired until the utmost conditions. Kryptonite is the only leveler these beings have. That is unless you want humans running around firing red sun lasers.

Based on Zod being in the film, Kryptonite absolutely has to be used. I'm sorry but Kryptonians are immortal, infinitely powerful and basically unstoppable by any other means. they don't need to eat or sleep, They only get tired until the utmost conditions. Kryptonite is the only leveler these beings have. That is unless you want humans running around firing red sun lasers.

Why?
Superman is the equal to Zod, and if you consider his "practice" using those powers Superman should have the advantage. If Zod breaks out of the Phantom Zone, sending him back is the resolution, sans Kryptonite.

When did Kryptonians achieve immortality. They can still die, can't they?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"