Kryptonite in first film... Extent of use?

based on Zod being in the film now, I don't think Kryptonite is used. At least, there is a story where Superman is where protective gear to use kryptoniite against Zod, I could see that happening

I can totally see the US Army using kryptonite in an attack against both Superman and Zod during a big fight scene.

Probably kryptonite in a weapon form produced by Lex Luthor. It was done before in comics that LexCorp and US Army has several contracts for develop weapons and technologies.

I can totally see the US Army using kryptonite in an attack against both Superman and Zod during a big fight scene.

Probably kryptonite in a weapon form produced by Lex Luthor. It was done before in comics that LexCorp and US Army has several contracts for develop weapons and technologies.

Great Scott....why?

Great Scott....why?

Why not?

See the rumors: General Lane in the story, locations being choose because Warner need big support from military. Some rumors says that at first Superman has no trust from people form some unknown reason.

And if that reason has something to do with Zod? And what if everyone thinks that Superman is, for any reason, an ally of Zod?

US Military is in a position to try to stop them, while Superman also try to stop Zod, and they get attacked in the crossfire.

I would kinda like Kryptonite to stay away until the end of the film or something. Lex finding it in the end would be neat.

If I hear that bs idea that Superman can only be defeated by kryptonite again.......I'm going to troll that persons house. STAS did it well. The answer is technology. Can't kill supes with bullets.....into energy gun. Need someone to go toe to toe. Enter Parasite or the new Brainiac(who put Superman down without needing Kryptonite). Conventional weapons don't work on superman, so you create unconventional ones.
THIS!

Lest we forget that magic is also one of his weaknesses.
I'm not saying introduce magic into the films lol, but other weaknesses must be considered.

As been mentioned in a previous post, Superman & Zod should be able to go toe-to-toe, as super-powered individuals whilst in the presence of (Earth's) yellow sun. Thereby making the threat of Kryptonite in order for Superman to have greater dramatic conflict/impact null and void.

I do think it should show up at some stage in the reboot, just not the first film please, as it is one of the key components of Superman mythology.

Also as with my point about Superman: The Animated Series, they did kinda de-power Superman because they didn't want him to be an all invincible being, as they thought no conflict or pain would be boring, so what it would really come down to is how invulnerable you make the Man of Steel; i.e. do you make him this all supreme near-God like being, or make it like even a threat that you would expect him to survive can hurt a bit.

E.g. Season 1 of Smallville, Clark is bulletproof, yet the bullets still inflict pain by giving him bruises

Last edited:
In fact, bring about a red sun if possible.
How you'd go about doing that beats me, but it'll be better than Kryptonite lol

I've never really understood the red sun weakness. It's not as if a red sun is the opposite of a yellow one, it's just an older, cooler sun. It shouldn't harm Superman anymore than nighttime.

I said in another thread I'd like to see what else kryptonite can do besides harm Superman. In the comics, it powers Metallo, and gave Conduit and Russian Zod superpowers, and the waste from experimentation on it transformed Rudy Jones into Parasite. Then that was expanded upon in Smallville. I don't really want it implied that kryptonite can just randomly mutate anyone though.

Plus, I'm thinking, considering that it can give humans powers, maybe it relates to Kryptonians and their abilities too. Like an early form of kryptonite existed as part of the planet and gradually evolved Kryptonians into solar batteries, and the destruction of Krypton changed it into something lethal to Kryptonians.

I've never really understood the red sun weakness. It's not as if a red sun is the opposite of a yellow one, it's just an older, cooler sun. It shouldn't harm Superman anymore than nighttime.

I said in another thread I'd like to see what else kryptonite can do besides harm Superman. In the comics, it powers Metallo, and gave Conduit and Russian Zod superpowers, and the waste from experimentation on it transformed Rudy Jones into Parasite. Then that was expanded upon in Smallville. I don't really want it implied that kryptonite can just randomly mutate anyone though.

Plus, I'm thinking, considering that it can give humans powers, maybe it relates to Kryptonians and their abilities too. Like an early form of kryptonite existed as part of the planet and gradually evolved Kryptonians into solar batteries, and the destruction of Krypton changed it into something lethal to Kryptonians.

Red Sun radiation makes Superman body cells work normally, and stop overcharging energy filtered by his cell due yellow sun radiation.

So, red sun didn't hurt Superman like kryptonite, just make him a normal person, non-superpower, like a kryptonian living in krypton.

Kryptonite should be extremely rare, like maybe only two or three pieces exists on the entire Earth. If its as numerous as it was on SV, then it would kinda take away the Super in Superman.
And I sure wouldn't want the military having Kryptonite weapons, that would be even worse than the SV bit I mentioned.

Last edited:
Why?
Superman is the equal to Zod, and if you consider his "practice" using those powers Superman should have the advantage. If Zod breaks out of the Phantom Zone, sending him back is the resolution, sans Kryptonite.

When did Kryptonians achieve immortality. They can still die, can't they?

Zod is a trained solider, a master of several Kryptonian martial art's (Klukor and Torquasm-Vo) and a master strategist. Superman was raised on Earth and I would assume never actually pulled a punch his entire life until he puts on the costume. power means nothing, you don't need control if all your going to do is lay waste.

Superman lives well into the 853rd century http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_One_Million

Zod is a trained solider, a master of several Kryptonian martial art's (Klukor and Torquasm-Vo) and a master strategist. Superman was raised on Earth and I would assume never actually pulled a punch his entire life until he puts on the costume. power means nothing, you don't need control if all your going to do is lay waste.

Superman lives well into the 853rd century http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_One_Million

Assuming Kryptonian science was not familiar with the amazing powers a yellow sun grants........Superman grew up with his powers, they are second nature, however upon arriving on Earth Zod is suddenly granted amazing and impossible abilities, that's gotta be a hurdle to jump even for him? You would need control, to over come one who has used his skills for decades.

The maximum age for Superman is arguable....but I believe the facts to support a methuselah-like Superman are fairly recent.....but my question involved normal(red-sun)Kryptonians?

Last edited:
Kryptonite should be extremely rare, like maybe only two or three pices exists on the entire Earth. If its as numerous as it was on SV, then it would kinda take away the Super in Superman.
And I sure wouldn't want the miltary having Kryptonite weapons, that would be even worse than the SV bit I mentioned.

I never got Kryptonite weapons? Kryptonite is the weapon.

Smallville is the worst use of Kryptonite in all Superman iterations.

Show it at the very end. I don't want it used in any way, shape, or form to stop Superman OR Zod.
I want a good old fashioned a$$ kicking to be used in stopping the villain.

I agree, I think it would be a neat cliffhanger similar to the Joker Card in BB. If Lex is in this movie, I would love for him to discover it right at the end

Assuming Kryptonian science was not familiar with the amazing powers a yellow sun grants........Superman grew up with his powers, they are second nature, however upon arriving on Earth Zod is suddenly granted amazing and impossible abilities, that's gotta be a hurdle to jump even for him? You would need control, to over come one who has used his skills for decades.

The maximum age for Superman is arguable....but I believe the facts to support a methuselah-like Superman are fairly recent.....but my question involved normal(red-sun)Kryptonians?

Not the way it works. it only takes a Kryptonian a few days to develop their powers fully under a Yellow sun. Zod's a solider and Kryptonians actually do know the effect of the yellow sun on their bodies, having at one point been galactic conquerers in their history.

what about other objects from krypton that are not organic, ie, metal, cloth, glass, etc. are they indestructable as well?
I remember reading an older superboy comic where he and martha took some glass from his crashed ship, and made lenses for his glasses so he could use his x-ray vision while wearing them without melting them.

I was just wondering if the same thing still applied today in modern comics.

I think that had to do with everything on Krypton having a dense molecular structure.

No kryptonite in the first film. Use it in a sequel.

I agree, I think it would be a neat cliffhanger similar to the Joker Card in BB. If Lex is in this movie, I would love for him to discover it right at the end
I'm just wondering if you realized you could have simply quoted my post.

With Zod in the mix, does it make it more or less likely to see Kryptonite? I mean, if Zod and Lex are working together there is a potential for a weapons collaberation to happen. On the other hand, his power will be equal to that of Superman, even if not as skilled. I would still hope it is left as a discovery by Lex at the end. I dunno, kind of like the Joker's card in some capacity.

LOL

I'm all for it if its essential to the story

what about other objects from krypton that are not organic, ie, metal, cloth, glass, etc. are they indestructable as well?
I remember reading an older superboy comic where he and martha took some glass from his crashed ship, and made lenses for his glasses so he could use his x-ray vision while wearing them without melting them.

I was just wondering if the same thing still applied today in modern comics.

It was fact that anything from Krypton became invulnerable under a yellow sun, and anything alive became super powered.....THE ADVENTURES OF SUPESLUG!

Last edited:
Not the way it works. it only takes a Kryptonian a few days to develop their powers fully under a Yellow sun. Zod's a solider and Kryptonians actually do know the effect of the yellow sun on their bodies, having at one point been galactic conquerers in their history.

It all depends on when, over the last 70 or so years, you pick your canon.

Last edited:
Based on Zod being in the film, Kryptonite absolutely has to be used. I'm sorry but Kryptonians are immortal, infinitely powerful and basically unstoppable by any other means. they don't need to eat or sleep, They only get tired until the utmost conditions. Kryptonite is the only leveler these beings have. That is unless you want humans running around firing red sun lasers.

I kind of agree with this.

At first, I thought that Kryptonite didn't have a place now Zod was the villain, but when you think about it, how else are they going to finish the fight?

I kind of agree with this.

At first, I thought that Kryptonite didn't have a place now Zod was the villain, but when you think about it, how else are they going to finish the fight?

Creative writing....using Kryptonite to challenge Zod would be equally as trite as using it to always challenge Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"