Kryptonite in first film... Extent of use?

what about other objects from krypton that are not organic, ie, metal, cloth, glass, etc. are they indestructable as well?
I remember reading an older superboy comic where he and martha took some glass from his crashed ship, and made lenses for his glasses so he could use his x-ray vision while wearing them without melting them.

I was just wondering if the same thing still applied today in modern comics.

In the recent "Secret Origin" by Geoff Johns, Martha does make Clark glasses using material from his spaceship, so that he can control his heat vision.

I never got Kryptonite weapons? Kryptonite is the weapon.

Fire is a weapon, but we still make flamethrowers.

It's just more effective when you channel it through a weapon. As a villain what would you rather do to defeat superman? Hold a rock in his face until he pales and eventually after a long time waiting, dies... or shoot at him with a kryptonite machine gun?

No that i want a kryptonite machine gun in this movie... but you get my meaning.

Creative writing....using Kryptonite to challenge Zod would be equally as trite as using it to always challenge Superman.

I'm not implying that Superman should use kryptonite to challenge him... but perhaps have it be involved in how the fight eventually ends. Either by use of the army (which I'm not sure about), or maybe Zod knew about it and tried to use it, but it backfired on him... I don't know, like you said 'Creative Writing'.

Otherwise we end up with not very many options left of how to get rid of him... bar sending him to the phantom zone, which is just kind of a lame way to end a movie.

hopefulsuicide said:
It's just more effective when you channel it through a weapon. As a villain what would you rather do to defeat superman? Hold a rock in his face until he pales and eventually after a long time waiting, dies... or shoot at him with a kryptonite machine gun?

No that i want a kryptonite machine gun in this movie... but you get my meaning.

I would argue it's less effective.

Superman is.. "faster than a speeding bullet"...shoot a Kryptonite bullet at Superman and he easily steps out of it's path.....and in the next instant he is in the shooters face.... or assume he allows the bullet or bullets to hit him...it creates a momentary weakness as it ricochets of his body to a distance at which it no longer has any affect....and in the next instant he is in the shooters face.

I suppose you could fire a weapon at him capable of encasing him in Kryptonite(a net perhaps), but you still have super-speed evasion to overcome.

The best way to deliver Kryptonite is to use cunning, exposing an isolated and unsuspecting Superman to it's radiation.

That makes no sense... by your own arguement, it's not like you could sneak up to him with it!

Yes, Superman is usually faster than a speeding bullet... but in several interpretations he has not been faster than a speeding Kryptonite Bullet... obviously the closer the bullet gets, the weaker and slower he becomes, especially if it were a machine gun round of bullets.

I don't know why you think that a kryptonite bullet would richochet off his chest... has that ever happened before? I was always under the impression that his skin could be penetrated by kryptonite, and therefore a kryptonite bullet would cut through him just like it would us.

And I can't see him dodging it, and then running up to the machine gun full of kryptonite bullets and getting 'in the shooter's face'... he'd be at the shooters knees if he tried to get that close to that much kryptonite.

As you say though, there are many other kryptonite weapons that could be fashioned. A net, kryptonite gas canister, kryptonite bomb, kryptonite laser etc tec ... i've even seen x-ray machines infused with kryptonite in a fanfiction (though i'm not sure how that would work).

hopefulsuicide said:
That makes no sense... by your own arguement, it's not like you could sneak up to him with it!

Sure you can Luthor did it quite easily in S:TM.

I don't know why you think that a kryptonite bullet would richochet off his chest... has that ever happened before? I was always under the impression that his skin could be penetrated by kryptonite, and therefore a kryptonite bullet would cut through him just like it would us.

All depends on the iteration you accept or use. On "Smallville" yes, in SR yes.

However there also is the canon that Kryptonite is not like a "hot knife" to butter slicing through Superman. Rather it immediately incapacitates Superman making it physically impossible for him to act, but it does not rob him of his powers. His active abilities are neutralized, but his passive abilities(invulnerability) still protect him. Prolonged exposure kills him.

Yes, Superman is usually faster than a speeding bullet... but in several interpretations he has not been faster than a speeding Kryptonite Bullet... obviously the closer the bullet gets, the weaker and slower he becomes, especially if it were a machine gun round of bullets.

Always faster........Why would a Kryptonite bullet slow him down? He hears the gun firing, turns to see a glowing green bullet and moves out of it's path micro seconds after the bullet has left the gun. If he chooses to evade, it never even gets close.

The other factor to consider is the amount of Kryptonite that is available. It should be extremely rare, making it impossible to fabricate a Kryptonite net let alone a Kryptonite arsenal.

Last edited:
Ok...because I was a fan of Smallville. I have seen too much Kryptonite used to often in that show. You have kryptonite bracelets, kryptonite fairy dust, Evian kryptonite, kryptonite spa treatments etc. So much of the stuff and it all just happened to fall in same place on Earth, in the same country, in the same state! Now this has gone too far. Definitely don't want "A $200million dedication to Richard Donner's Superman Take 2"; but the way it was dealt with in STM was good.

Based on Zod being in the film, Kryptonite absolutely has to be used. I'm sorry but Kryptonians are immortal, infinitely powerful and basically unstoppable by any other means. they don't need to eat or sleep, They only get tired until the utmost conditions. Kryptonite is the only leveler these beings have. That is unless you want humans running around firing red sun lasers.

I doubt we're going to be getting the invincible Superman of the past. I'd bet money that Nolan and Goyer want to see this guy have a few more soft spots. Powerful, but not a god.

Zod is a trained solider, a master of several Kryptonian martial art's (Klukor and Torquasm-Vo) and a master strategist. Superman was raised on Earth and I would assume never actually pulled a punch his entire life until he puts on the costume. power means nothing, you don't need control if all your going to do is lay waste.
So you want Kryptonite to (once again) be the fall-back solution to the main threat? That's an incredible waste of its use, especially this early on.

And I really don't want humans having any involvement in the defeat of Zod. I'd rather they just stay in the background and watch in awe as two literal gods are fighting in the air.

So you want Kryptonite to (once again) be the fall-back solution to the main threat? That's an incredible waste of its use, especially this early on.

And I really don't want humans having any involvement in the defeat of Zod. I'd rather they just stay in the background and watch in awe as two literal gods are fighting in the air.

I want "humans" to always be involved. I much prefer Superman and humans working as a team to defeat and or solve a dilemna. Humans should never be portrayed as useless bystanders.

Sure you can Luthor did it quite easily in S:TM..

Don't even get me started on how awful that was...

All depends on the iteration you accept or use. On "Smallville" yes, in SR yes.

However there also is the canon that Kryptonite is not like a "hot knife" to butter slicing through Superman. Rather it immediately incapacitates Superman making it physically impossible for him to act, but it does not rob him of his powers. His active abilities are neutralized, but his passive abilities(invulnerability) still protect him. Prolonged exposure kills him.

Always faster........Why would a Kryptonite bullet slow him down? He hears the gun firing, turns to see a glowing green bullet and moves out of it's path micro seconds after the bullet has left the gun. If he chooses to evade, it never even gets close.

The other factor to consider is the amount of Kryptonite that is available. It should be extremely rare, making it impossible to fabricate a Kryptonite net let alone a Kryptonite arsenal.

Fair enough. Well I guess it depends on what take they have on Kryptonite and it's effects on Superman. If they go the route of a kryptonite weapon being able to affect him, we may see kryptonite weapons.

All i'm saying is that it could happen.

I doubt we're going to be getting the invincible Superman of the past. I'd bet money that Nolan and Goyer want to see this guy have a few more soft spots. Powerful, but not a god.

They have called it MAN OF STEEL... i think they plan on having him be pretty impenetrable.

Fair enough. Well I guess it depends on what take they have on Kryptonite and it's effects on Superman. If they go the route of a kryptonite weapon being able to affect him, we may see kryptonite weapons.

All i'm saying is that it could happen.

No doubt....it already has...but my preference is that it should not.

When they casted Zod i thought that if Lex was in the movie as well, metallo might also be included. Lex would build metallo to kill superman and Zod.

First its Green K we got a problem with. Second I think its the fact that so far its been used to totally incapacitate superman and make him a chump. Three we need to get away from this ill conceived notion that somehow Superman has never in the history of comics been brought down multiple times by something other then kryptonite. Honestly this stuff was like out of play for like 2 decades. The only times it was brought back into play was when that stuff was a villain(kryptonite man, Metallo,conduit).

When they casted Zod i thought that if Lex was in the movie as well, metallo might also be included. Lex would build metallo to kill superman and Zod.

Saying "casted" is worse than a cuss word around internet forums :eek:

If they use kryptonite, I hope Superman doesn't pass out everytime he's around a small chunk of it.

Only Metallo should have green kryptonite and only the red stuff for Brainiac, Mongul, or Darkseid to use mind control over Supes.

You know in donnels films the villains from his home world were in prisoner? They could be imprisoned with kryptonite. When they make it to earth they bring it with him.

You know in donnels films the villains from his home world were in prisoner? They could be imprisoned with kryptonite. When they make it to earth they bring it with him.

That makes no sense. Kryptonite was created by the destruction of Krypton. There is no way that Kryptonians could build a prison of Kryptonite because it didn't exist yet. It is a byproduct of Krypton's destruction.

Last edited:
NO K!!! at least for 2 movies!!!.

That makes no sense. Kryptonite was created by the destruction of Krypton. There is no way that Kryptonians could build a prison of Kryptonite because it didn't exist yet. It is a byproduct of Krypton's destruction.
That makes no sense. If it can be created by kryptonian minerals and metals being destroyed than it would be created every time that planet got hit by an asteroid or had an earthquake or a volcano went off. If it comes from pieces of krptonian mass than it can be created every time you destroy the necessary elements from the planet's landmass.
Not to mention the movie isn't bound to follow any previous story told. I just want it believable somehow that this stuff lands on the same planet as Superman and I don't think a mere coincedence suffices. I also want an explanation is needed for how his enemies know it exists and how they know it would harm Superman. The explanation in STM by luthor is pure crap covered in cheese.

Last edited:
Kryptonite should be:

1) extremely rare. No more than two or three pieces on earth

2) not be in this movie. Maybe in the next one or the one after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"