Large Shark Kills Man in New Zealand

NickNitro

Extra Terrestrial
Reaction score
Ok, I know it sucks this guy died, but I can't help but feel really bad for the shark as well. Its in his nature to feed on prey in the water, one of the only things besides breeding these creatures are meant for.

To be gunned down to try and save the man was righteous at the time, but I just can't help but still feel upset about how we treat our wildlife sometimes.

Its not like the shark walked out of the water down to some bar in NZ and took a bite out of a man. He's in his natural habitat, doing what he was created to do.

I dont know maybe its just me. :whatever:

http://news.yahoo.com/large-shark-kills-man-zealand-beach-closed-030458494.html

I feel bad for both of em.. Hope they at least eat the shark or something so it doesn't go to waste.

Just pick out all those bullets first.......

It's complicated. What can they do? If a man-eating shark is near the shore they can't risk another attack. And they also have to reassure the public that the beach is safe or their tourist-sector could be affected.

I do feel bad for the man and the shark. But I understand the authority's actions.

So do I, its the price we pay for venturing into another territory. Like people who get bit by spiders/snakes hiking in the jungles....

Honestly, it pisses me off that they shot the shark.

I don't go into a cave and then blame the bear when it attacks me. Now don't get me wrong, it's tragic the guy died -but that's the risk he took. If you go in the ocean you knowingly accept the risk that you might be killed or injured by any number of things that live there. By my way of thinking the solution isn't to freak out and kill the shark, it's to stay out of the water. Swim somewhere else for a while, it's not like New Zealand is short on beaches.

I hope the shark lived.

I feel bad for both of em.. Hope they at least eat the shark or something so it doesn't go to waste.
It disappeared, and they don't even know whether it's dead.

Also, if this was indeed a white shark, I'd be curious to know what current laws in NZ are regarding its conservation status, and how that might conflict with the actions of the police officers. Are exceptions usually made for situations like these?

Last edited:
I would assume as much. Saving a human life I would think takes precidence but its just sad.

I dont go run through a jungle with steaks strapped to my hips hoping cops are there to shoot down the lion/tiger who eats my face

It sucks, but he was pretty far from shore right? alone, in water known to have great whites...Does swimming in the ocean only get fun when you're over 100ft out, let alone 650ft.

Its not like the shark walked out of the water down to some bar in NZ and took a bite out of a .... .
tumblr_ll627jNOI61qbjc7fo1_400.gif

34sfcl4.jpg

If I'm not mistaken they generally go and kill predators that kill humans to ensure it doesn't get it into its head that humans are a valid form of prey and comes back for more.

It sucks the shark died but if you had family or friends who habit that beach and were in potential danger you wouldn't want sharks roaming around that thought humans were fair game.

If I'm not mistaken they generally go and kill predators that kill humans to ensure it doesn't get it into its head that humans are a valid form of prey and comes back for more.

...... you wouldn't want sharks roaming around that thought humans were fair game.

To any and all hungry sharks "humans are a valid form of prey."
Humans are fair game, no matter where they are. That is natural.

By your logic, you'd have to kill all sharks and all wild predators:whatever:

And just in case before this escalates I'm disputing the above logic, NO I'm not advocating they shouldn't have killed the shark to save the dude, as sad as it is, they should have done what it took.

Last edited:
It sucks, but he was pretty far from shore right? alone, in water known to have great whites...Does swimming in the ocean only get fun when you're over 100ft out, let alone 650ft.

Yeah, but if you only swim out 100-feet, then you don't get to tell people how awesome you are at parties, and what an adventurous tourist you are. Like going into Afghanistan as an unprepared "freelance journalist" to get the untold story or going drinking in the dangerous parts of Sao Paolo because you want to get the local flavour.

It sucks the shark died but if you had family or friends who habit that beach and were in potential danger you wouldn't want sharks roaming around that thought humans were fair game.

I do have family and friends that frequently visit and swim at Muriwai (the beach where the attack took place). I go there myself all the time when I'm in the country. Family, friends, complete strangers, if you go in the water there's a chance you're going to get nommed by a shark, it's the risk you accept.

No one blames the sun when they get a sunburn.

Don't be silly, if a shark is roaming a populated area with humans and has already attacked a human then it is likely it will continue to roam that populated area and will continue to attack humans.

Which is why the people should stay out of the water. Shooting it is what's silly.

I do have family and friends that frequently visit and swim at Muriwai (the beach where the attack took place). I go there myself all the time when I'm in the country. Family, friends, complete strangers, if you go in the water there's a chance you're going to get nommed by a shark, it's the risk you accept.

No one blames the sun when they get a sunburn.

I agree with James. The sun must be destroyed! :mad:

Anyone without a ship should secure a weapon and fire wildly into the air!

Don't be silly, if a shark is roaming a populated area with humans and has already attacked a human then it is likely it will continue to roam that populated area and will continue to attack humans.
You're aware that there's no scientific evidence supporting Coppleson's "rogue shark theory," correct?

I realize that Humans aren't meant to swim in the Ocean, but we do...so we should suffer the consequences of being out of our natural habitat.

You don't see lions swimming around shooting sharks in the face when they attack them do you?

I realize that Humans aren't meant to swim in the Ocean, but we do...so we should suffer the consequences of being out of our natural habitat.

You don't see lions swimming around shooting sharks in the face when they attack them do you?

I think that was the live entertainment at Nicolas Cage's last birthday party. :up:

Does swimming in the ocean only get fun when you're over 100ft out, let alone 650ft.

Most shark attacks occur very close to shore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"