Laurence Fishburne IS Perry White in The Man of Steel

I guess in the reboot... Perry's middle name is "Ain't". :whatever:
I love Lawrence as an actor in everything he does...
I just don't care about the racially motivated revisionist history with iconic characters.
Will Smith NEVER should have been Jim West...
Mc G himself told me he wanted Smith as Supes as his first choice.
That kind of stuff infuriates me as a black man.
JUST CREATE A NEW CHARACTER!!!

Thowing black folks a bone like this doesn't make us happy
and think things are on the level in HELLywood.

Anyway...regardless of all that... I still hope they can tell a good story
and pull Supes from the brink.
He needs and desevers better than what we have been getting.

:batman:
:supes:

Wow...

A real positive about news like this is you really weed out the racists and find out people's true colors.

Shaking_head.gif

''I don't know what he can do to save us. But I do know that as long as there is a single breath left in his body he will not give up and neither can we. '

s33lgp.gif

ofd3pz.gif

I actually can't believe this cast!
I wonder if the quality of the script, Superman's name or Nolan's name is what's pulling in all these great actors.
Hmm...

I actually can't believe this cast!
I wonder if the quality of the script, Superman's name or Nolan's name is what's pulling in all these great actors.
Hmm...
or maybe they are casting those big actors because its a summer comicbook blockbuster?hhhhh maybe a paycheck? every actor in hollywood knpws that WB is nto cheap. when they make a big movie they pay a lot money.

not saying that the movie or story will be bad. but come on my brother fanboys. common sense. :woot:

or maybe they are casting those big actors because its a summer comicbook blockbuster?hhhhh maybe a paycheck? every actor in hollywood knpws that WB is nto cheap. when they make a big movie they pay a lot money.

not saying that the movie or story will be bad. but come on my brother fanboys. common sense. :woot:

I'm well aware of paychecks but with the quality of the cast so far it's not necessarily going to be as big a paycheck as another film.
And also, Snyder hasn't done too well in recent years so there's a bit of a risk as an actor I'd imagine.

As long as they dont change his name to Perry Black.

No seriously, I like they get a black guy for a guy with the surname White. They might change/add a few lines to play on this.

No seriously, I like they get a black guy for a guy with the surname White. They might change/add a few lines to play on this.

Race jokes? :p Not likely IMO.
Imagine they had with Heimdall, some fans woulda went nuts lol

Racist against his own race?

Do you know what racism is? It's acknowledging inherent differences between different races. Doesn't matter what race you are or who you're referring to. And the fact he considers this move by WB "throwing a bone to the black folks" is ridiculous. There are no differences between white and black other than color, and I have no problem with a black man playing anything. It's about entertainment, acting, and incorporating the personality and essence of the character on screen.

I don't understand Wams' disapproval. He says Perry is iconic, but ask anyone on the street who the Editor in Chief of the Daily Planet is and not a soul will know. He isn't as iconic as some make him out to be. Fishburne all the way!

Do you know what racism is? It's acknowledging inherent differences between different races. Doesn't matter what race you are or who you're referring to. And the fact he considers this move by WB "throwing a bone to the black folks" is ridiculous. There are no differences between white and black other than color, and I have no problem with a black man playing anything. It's about entertainment, acting, and incorporating the personality and essence of the character on screen.

Very well said.

Race jokes? :p Not likely IMO.
Imagine they had with Heimdall, some fans woulda went nuts lol

I didnt mean it like that. At least not that literal.
But I guess you're right. We have come along way since the medieval times, but maybe I'm naive too. I guess I just forget how narrow-minded people still are.

I guess it's also something about the movie itself. Had it been a Tarantino-movie racial jokes/references would be no problem. In fact, you'd expect them.

Keep it on track gents. Don't descend into this racist crap. Its 2011 not the 1950s. I think this is a good piece of casting. He's a great actor and is really great at that I'm in charge part. Looking forward to his portrayal.

I hope he stays consistant with being a loud mouth, the last Perry we got was far too tame.

A great moment on Lois and Clark show is when the guest star James Earl Jones appeared for the season 1 rebuilding of the DP episode. His character had a vibe similar to what I imagined a modern Perry to be like, and he happened to be black. If there is a role that I can see it working in changing the race, or not affecting the character badly it is this one.

While I'm not against Fishburne in the role, James Earl Jones would've been perfect, now that you bring him up.

Ah okay, that makes sense.

I would have preferred someone who more looked the part, but I don't mind the casting.

Lol...

Nice casting!

At least Perry White is in the movie :dry:

I don't understand Wams' disapproval. He says Perry is iconic, but ask anyone on the street who the Editor in Chief of the Daily Planet is and not a soul will know. He isn't as iconic as some make him out to be. Fishburne all the way!

Asking someone on the street doesn't really prove that Perry White isn't iconic. The average person on the street might not care much about said comic property. They might not know Wonder Woman's identity or anything about The Green Lanterns. Even fans of one comic might not know anything about the next. Do I think they've take liberties with the canon, you betcha. But I'm okay with it.

Hmm interesting casting. I'm not sure how I feel about it - and that comment has nothing to do with skin colour.

On the one hand, Fishbourne is a very accomplished actor with a string of credits to his name and he brings a lot of talent to the table. I've no doubt he'll give 110% to the role.

On the other hand, so was Langella ................... and that didn't mean he was perfectly suited to the role of Perry White.

The thing I've noticed about Fishbourne is that his line deliveries are often slow, measured, calm, direct. He was like this in the Matrix, Mission Impossible 3, CSi, even as the crazy guy in Predators, and lots more. Not so much his early films, but as he's got older this seems to be the way he acts. This kind of goes against the traditional characteristics we associate with Perry White ..... the loud, fast-talking, gruff, outspoken and cigar-chomping boss.

Of course, Snyder's Perry White may be totally different to what came before. So I'll keep an open mind and hope he does the role justice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"