Legacy Sequels & Your Top 10

Star Trek '09 is most definitely not a legacy sequel either. It's a straight up reboot. Regardless of Nimoy's involvement.

A sequel by definition is the continuation of a story.

Star Trek '09 doesn't do that. It reboots the timeline entirely. Terminator Genisys did the same thing, even though they brought back Arnold. Both are reboots.

It’s a reboot, *and* a legacy sequel. Both can be true. It does follow Spock’s story and specifically calls back to the previous movie stories of those characters.

It’s a reboot, *and* a legacy sequel. Both can be true. It does follow Spock’s story and specifically calls back to the previous movie stories of those characters.

Both can't be true. It rewrites the timeline and erases the previous films from canon. How can it still be a sequel?

Both can't be true. It rewrites the timeline and erases the previous films from canon. How can it still be a sequel?

Of course they can be true. It’s a movie, and can play by any rules. Prime Spock’s timeline isn’t erased. He’s back. Like Spider-Man: No Way Home which operates as a sequel to the MCU films and a Legacy Sequel to the previous Spider-Man films.

I dont think it worked for Halloween either. Both legacy Halloween are not great. 1st is meh and 2nd is garbage.
Completely disagree. Halloween (2018) is better than Carpenter's original film. Better written, better performances, better everything. Halloween Kills however is not good.

Completely disagree. Halloween (2018) is better than Carpenter's original film. Better written, better performances, better everything. Halloween Kills however is not good.

Agree to disagree. Carpenter's movie is a horror classic. The 2018 version is another shallow legacy sequel redux in fancy packaging that is hollow. I would bet in 20 years, the original Halloween will continue being discussed like it has been and the 2018 one will be just another movie in the series

To me, a "Legacy" sequel means you have at least one cast member reprising their role at least a decade after the last film. Even though it's a true sequel in its own right and as excellent as it is, I don't consider Mad Max: Fury Road to be a "legacy sequel" simply because it's an all-new cast (I don't count Hugh Keays-Byrne since he plays a different character). It's more of a reboot sequel, same with Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Doctor Sleep, Jurassic World, etc. In the case of JW and Jumanji, the sequels later brought in characters from the original films but I don't really consider those legacy sequels since they were released 2-3 years after the previous films in those franchises.

I also don't consider Star Trek '09 to be a legacy sequel. Yes, Nimoy's Spock returns but if you call that a legacy sequel then you also have to consider Spider-Man: No Way Home to be a legacy sequel to Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which it really isn't. Though Star Trek '09 partially is a continuation of Nimoy's storyline just as No Way Home is partially a continuation of Maguire and Garfield's storylines, they aren't direct sequels to any previous Star Trek film or pre-MCU Spider-Man film.

Anyway, here's my Top 10:

1. Top Gun: Maverick
2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
3. Creed
4. Blade Runner 2049
5. The Godfather Part III
6. Rocky Balboa
7. Ghostbusters: Afterlife
8. Halloween (2018)
9. Scream (2022)
10. Tron: Legacy

I haven't seen The Color of Money (or The Hustler, for that matter). I guess I should get on that.

Last edited:
LMFAO the atmosphere from the original, and superb direction/cinematography/pacing. It doesn’t need McBride gags or excessive head stomping gore. I like the 2018 movie but it’s no contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"