Legendary Pictures' 2014 Godzilla Reboot - Directed by Gareth Edwards - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
From BD:The Mighty 'Godzilla' Will Roar Once More!

MrDisgusting said:
55 years and 28 movies later, the Japanese monster Godzilla is looking to make his return to big screens everywhere. Making his first appearance in 1954 (Gojira) Godzilla is a giant monster that lives in the sea that comes from the ocean to feed on mankind. Bloody Disgusting has learned exclusively that Legendary Pictures is looking to do another major movie with the iconic horror monster (they are in early discussions), although there are NO details at this point other than this should be a reboot. In 1998, TriStar Pictures produced a remake set in New York City, directed by Roland Emmerich and starring Matthew Broderick. In recent interviews for 2012 Emmerich has said that he's not interested in sequels (even though all of his disaster movies are basically the same).

From AICN:
Oh, Boy...Is Legendary Pictures Gearing Up For A GODZILLA Reboot??
From /film:
Rumor: New Godzilla Movie in Discussion Stage at Legendary Pictures?
From FirstShowing.net:
Rumor: Legendary Pictures Developing New Godzilla Movie?!
From twitch:
Godzilla to return to the US to wreck havoc again? yes please.

Hell yeah! It's about f-ing time!

Yeah, its the same as what they're doing with Superman and Spiderman. It's not make everything realistic, its make the world feel real so when all these fantastical things happen. They're even more extraordinary

yeah, all it means is they want to make the events of the film feel believable within the context of the story.

my response to that is when hasnt that always been the case...doesnt the Donner Superman movies take place in a realistic world???
Didnt the Raimi Spider-man movies take place in a realistic world???
Didn't the first Godzilla movie and even the Gino movie take place in a realistic world?

Realism is just a catchword people throw around these days

Both Superman and Spiderman take in inherently comicbooky settings, they just don't lay it on as thick as Batman89. Not a complaint on either front.

You're right though that the original Godzilla reflects at the very least real emotions and sensibilities of Japan at the time in which it was produced. It is that element that has been missing from the films for a long time.

To what degree is Toho involved in this film?

my response to that is when hasnt that always been the case...doesnt the Donner Superman movies take place in a realistic world???
Didnt the Raimi Spider-man movies take place in a realistic world???
Didn't the first Godzilla movie and even the Gino movie take place in a realistic world?

Realism is just a catchword people throw around these days

Pretty much. As I said before, the first Godzilla movie was grounded in reality so honestly, those words pretty much don't mean a thing.

its like people believe realistic equals better.
Honestly how do you do a realistic and grounded movie about a giant radioactive/dinosaur/lizard/force of nature?

Even if he meant a realistic world what would be the realistic response to a giant monster smashing the city...calling the military to take care of it...maybe a scientist to figure out how to kill it....which is pretty much happened in most Godzilla movies.

its like people believe realistic equals better.
Honestly how do you do a realistic and grounded movie about a giant radioactive/dinosaur/lizard/force of nature?

Even if he meant a realistic world what would be the realistic response to a giant monster smashing the city...calling the military to take care of it...maybe a scientist to figure out how to kill it....which is pretty much happened in most Godzilla movies.

Think of it this way, this film is being produced by the same companies that have another giant kaiju film coming out next year with Pacific Rim.

You can be sure that the way the monsters are presented and the ways the world reacts to the threat, and possibly the tone of the films will be quite different.

Calling in the military or scientists is a far cry away from building giant robots and duking it out in hand to hand combat.

Well, most interpretations of the character have had goofy humans. Even the classic flick was cheesy like that. I get what Emmerich was trying to do by making all his humans cariactures but it didn't come out right.

Well, most interpretations of the character have had goofy humans. Even the classic flick was cheesy like that. I get what Emmerich was trying to do by making all his humans cariactures but it didn't come out right.

Shouldn't they aspire to have better writing than science fiction films from the 50 and 60's? Thematically those films were often great but is it that much to ask for improvements in characters and dialoague?

i love that there is a new Godzilla movie is being made, and on topic with Godzilla movies, Toho Kingdom has announced that, FINALLY, Godzilla vs Biollante will be released officially within the United States on standard DVD and blu-ray.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/news/2012/09-28_godzilla_vs_biollante_miramax_echo_bridge.html

this was one of my favorites as a kid, and I am so happy that this movie is getting a proper official release, and a new movie being released 2 years later... it's good to be a Godzilla fan these days :)

I worry that there will be a Godzilla/Pacific Rim war between fans same way that there was The Avengers/TDKR war

So as a Godzilla fan I have a hard time getting excited for PR

...yes because you can't like two movies at the same time....you just can't. I go crazy every night because I actually liked The Avengers and TDKR both!

Why a war? It's not like either are even coming out the same year.

The movies come out almost a year apart and are made by the same company...

And besides, TDKR and Avengers wasnt a "War".

"War" suggests both sides stand an equal chance of winning.

tumblr_m4377lv6U41r0fw3qo2_500.gif

The movies come out almost a year apart and are made by the same company...

Not to mention one's a mech movie and the other's a straight up monster movie. The only similarities are that Japan's screwed because of monsters. :funny:

Casting should be getting ready to start soon!
Drew Pearce had until the end of October to do a final script polish before casting began

THE NEWS BUNDLE October 3, 2012:
Gareth Edwards' 'Godzilla' To Start Vancouver Production in March 2013

Earlier this month, Warner Brothers and Legendary Pictures decided to let monster movie fans start counting down the days as they set the date for the big screen revival of Godzilla. Though we still have over a year and a half until we get to see the cinematic icon rage across Tokyo once more, it's clear that casting will be getting underway soon as possible for a filming start next year. Now today, we know exactly when that will be as the first details regarding Godzilla's production start has been revealed.

One on-site reporter for OLV (On Location Vacations) tweets, "Godzilla remake will be coming to Vancouver in March 2013, tentatively". This remake is of course from director Gareth Edwards (Monsters) and has been in development for over a year already. The big green giant made his Comic-Con return in 2011, where he returned in style just one year later back in July with the first teaser trailer during the WB/Legendary panel.

With a screenplay by David Callaham (The Expendables films), David S. Goyer (the Dark Knight trilogy) and Max Borenstein (upcoming The Seventh Son), the upcoming film promises to "return the character to its epic roots with a gritty, realistic actioner". Edwards will be shooting Godzilla in 3D, with a release set for May 16th 2014.

No lead human characters have yet been cast, but we'll keep you updated on future developments.

Exclusive: Cinematographer Seamus McGarvey Hopes To Return For 'Avengers 2' (Plus His Thoughts On 'Godzilla')

Drew Taylor said:
McGarvey has lined up another huge property, Warner Bros.' pricey "Godzilla" reboot, which features a script co-written by (amongst others) "The Dark Knight" scribe David S. Goyer and Marvel favorite Drew Pearce, to be directed by Gareth Edwards, who made a name for himself with indie sensation "Monsters."

"We haven't really worked out what we're doing yet. We don't start shooting until March of next year," McGarvey said. "I'm in the process of testing what our visual approach will be." He had nothing but great things to say about Edwards, who will be making his big-budget debut. "It's wonderful working with Gareth. He's a wonderful filmmaker and somebody who understands the camera," McGarvey remarked.

McGarvey then boiled down what makes Edwards so special: "It's great working with people who understand the history of cinema and the unique properties of cinematography and use the camera like a writer uses words, so it's not just a witness to big explosions and spectacle. It's something that has a thought out and intelligent approach to storytelling."

"Godzilla" comes out on May 16th, 2014, with "Avengers 2" to follow the next summer. "Anna Karenina" opens on Friday.

From Collider November 14th, 2012:
Cinematographer Seamus McGarvey Says GODZILLA Starts Filming in March; Reveals Joss Whedon Has Asked Him to Return for AVENGERS 2
Adam Chitwood said:
]McGarvey is set as the cinematographer on Warner Bros. and Legendary’s upcoming Godzilla reboot directed by Gareth Edwards, so Steve asked if he could reveal anything about the highly anticipated monster movie. Though he was remiss to get into plot details, he did reveal the production schedule:
“We start in March. March ‘til June, I think.”
At Comic-Con earlier this year, Legendary showed a tease of Godzilla test footage that Edwards shot that had the crowd going wild. McGarvey revealed that they haven’t nailed down the exact visual approach just yet, but he starts prep next week:
“We still haven’t chosen the direction we’re going visually. I’m sort of testing next week, in fact, for that stuff.”

Just don't shoot it like a Bourne movie or Cloverfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"