Legendary Pictures' 2014 Godzilla Reboot - Directed by Gareth Edwards - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Producer Dan Lin Gives GODZILLA Update; Says Production Will Likely Take Place in Vancouver
Adam Chitwood said:
Steve asked Lin for an update on Godzilla, and the producer talked about Edwards’ passion for the project:
“We’re planning to film in March. We are in deep pre-production. Gareth [Edwards] has really mapped out his vision for the movie, you saw the teaser, but Gareth—thanks to [Legendary CEO] Thomas Tull’s help—he took over a whole stage on the Warner Brothers lot and not only showed the teaser you saw, he had some models built of Godzilla, he had art decorated all over the soundstage, he had pre-vis of some of the big action sequences in the movie.”
Cinematographer Seamus McGarvey previously revealed that production will probably last until June, and Lin went on to add that filming will likely take place in Vancouver. The producer also spoke a bit about Edwards’ take on the material:
“So we’re in deep pre-production and Gareth’s vision of the movie is really exciting, it’s a true reboot of Godzilla. And you saw from the Comic-Con footage it is a grounded, realistic version of Godzilla. What would happen if Godzilla came into our world today?”
Collider: I saw the teaser and I love the director and it’s a project that I honestly cannot wait to see. Talk about where the project is at right now, when you are filming, and all that stuff.

Lin:
We’re planning to film in March. We are in deep pre-production. Gareth [Edwards] has really mapped out his vision for the movie, you saw the teaser, but Gareth thanks to Thomas Tull’s help he took over a whole stage on the Warner Brothers lot and not only showed the teaser you saw, he had some models built of Godzilla, he had art decorated all over the soundstage, he had pre-vis of some of the big action sequences in the movie. So we’re in deep pre-production and Gareth’s vision of the movie is really exciting it’s a true re-boot of Godzilla. And you saw from the Comic-Con footage it is a grounded, realistic version of Godzilla. What would happen if Godzilla came into our world today?

Are you sticking to any of the previous incarnations of Godzilla in terms of where he comes from and that kind of stuff, or is it all new? Because Pacific Rim it’s another dimension, if you will.

Lin
: It’s a little too early and I want to let audiences experience it with the rest of us.

Are you filming in LA?

Lin:
Most likely it’s filming in Vancouver.

Well, there we go. Of course, Godzilla is massively popular in Asia, are you already involving an Asian continent in the film?

Lin:
I don’t want to give any plot details right now; I want you guys to be surprised.

If you missed what Lin told us about Sherlock Holmes 3, click here, and if you missed what he told us about Lego: Piece of Resistance, click here.

"What would happen if Godzilla came into our world today?"

Grounded, realistic. Those are the new buzz phrases.

Some lizards just want to watch the world burn. :oldrazz:

Haha, I laughed at that because it's almost verbatim of the jab I took at Lincoln that Parker Wayne sigged.

Gareth... took over a whole stage on the Warner Brothers lot and not only showed the teaser you saw, he had some models built of Godzilla, he had art decorated all over the soundstage, he had pre-vis of some of the big action sequences in the movie.
What I would give to be a fly on the wall.

Anyone else have the feeling this movie is going to be a major box office hit?

Haha if i didn't know better i'd say he was a studio plant.

Heh yeah. I wonder what precisely would change if Godzilla came into our world today compared to if he come into our world 50 years ago. Plotwise it's precisely the same thing when you really think about it.

Haha, I laughed at that because it's almost verbatim of the jab I took at Lincoln that Parker Wayne sigged.

I love the quote. I don't think I will ever take it off. It's just so perfect. :up:

Last edited:
A grounded, realistic Godzilla will actually have flashbacks to him being tortured and used as live bait by evil Japanese fishermen when he was still a baby.

Exclusive: 'Godzilla' loses two producers but gains a start date

Legendary's take on the classic character is getting ready to start production

Drew McWeeny said:
It looks like Godzilla's path of destruction en route to a start date for the Legendary Pictures update of the classic Toho monster has claimed two new victims, as producers Dan Lin and Roy Lee depart the project this week.

Both Lin and Lee are major production partners for Warner Bros, and I'm sure they're both plenty busy with other upcoming films. Lin, for example, is a producer on the "Lego" movie that is in production now, he's part of the ongoing "Sherlock Holmes" series, and he's attached to remakes of Stephen King's "It" and the anime series "Death Note," both in development. Most importantly, he's part of the team working to figure out "Justice League." Lee is partnered with Lin on "Death Note" and "It," and he's currently busy with plenty other projects like the "Oldboy" remake, the "Poltergeist" update, a sequel to "The Woman In Black," and a brand new "Battle Royale."

Recently, there was an event on the studio lot where director Gareth Edwards put together a show-and-tell in one of the stages on the Warner lot to walk the studio through his vision of the film, and it went well enough that the studio now seems committed to a March start date for the film.

I recently was talking to someone who seemed confused about the idea that Warner Bros would want to make two giant-scale movies about giant monsters, but there's going to be a pretty major difference between what Edwards has in mind for "Godzilla" and what Guillermo Del Toro is doing for "Pacific Rim." Guillermo's movie is all about world-building, designing an entire alternate history for our world and trying to imagine all the changes that would happen if we were faced with a decade-long war against creatures from some other world. Edwards is trying to ground his take on "Godzilla" in a very recognizable present-day. The world of that film is our world, and anyone who saw the Comic-Con presentation last summer can attest to the serious tone of the footage.

I'm just excited to see someone treat this iconic character with reverence in a new film. I'm still wincing every time I think of the Devlin/Emmerich version, and I'm glad that they've taken their time getting this one ready. I'm not sure why Lin and Lee were let go, but basically this is a case of the studio and Legendary finally having a clear idea of what film they're making and just being sure that everyone onboard the picture shares that same vision.

Right now, "Godzilla" is being thought of as a 2014 release.

Frank Darabont rewriting the script is a great thing, but going through this many writers isn't a good sign.

Hopefully cavil will get it, though levitt would have been aces. I feel like a film like this needs someone with name value. As awesome as I think the Godzilla movies are, he's still considered a bit of a joke, guys in rubber suits wrestling in legoland and all that, I think it needs a big name, or a notable up and comer like levitt or cavil.

So is it just Godzilla by him/itself? I remember an interview in the aftermath of the Emmerich remake, that he and Devlin lamented that there wasn't a clear-cut human "villain" figure to root against.. it was just Big G and the babies..

I hope they pick a locale besides NYC, that's been done enough.. (Alaska/the frozen Arctic! ah..)

Well, if you think you can top Ferris Bueller.

Seriously, do you think you can top that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"