LEGO BATMAN MOVIE (Spin Off To Lego Movie)

Lantern Venom, why are you taking a LEGO MOVIE seriously?! I'm baffled.

Had Lego Batman been treated as just another disposable kids' special, I would have likely had no problem with it. It was actually worse than the previous DC-Lego efforts, but somehow has garnered an undeserved amount of praise. Moreover, we regularly dissect Y7 cartoons on SHH, so critiquing Lego Batman shouldn't come as a shock.

Anyone who seriously deconstructs a movie that was meant to be tongue in cheek has missed the point of the movie entirely.

Number 9 is my favorite.

9. It Addresses The DCEU Issues
In terms of tone, LEGO Batman and DC Extended Universe Batman are worlds apart. The latter has had a divisive effect on fans, who debate over whether their vigilante should be a violent murderer. LEGO Batman doesn’t presume to have the answer for his live-action counterpart, but there are a few gags in The LEGO Batman Movie that poke fun at the problem(s). When Joker tries to get Batman to name him as his archenemy, Bats instead suggests that the honor might go to Superman. “Superman isn’t even a bad guy!” Joker angrily exclaims, highlighting the obvious flaw of having the two icons fight. Earlier in the film, audiences were treated to a flashback that recreates the BvS fight.

Suicide Squad gets a similar treatment, as Batman is presented with the idea of unleashing villains to help take down the Joker and his crew of villains. The Dark Knight questions (and rightfully so) why anyone would ever do something like that. Granted, the film does just that in the final act, but even then, it feels satirical in nature.

This is one of my chief criticisms of the film. It's brainless eye candy, but critics are acting like there is something of substance for the DCEU to learn. Lego Batman takes a very old formula of making something dark and sincere into something campy and vacuous. The assertion that Lego Batman has anything to offer the DCEU is akin to declaring that Bram Stoker's Dracula or Mary Shelley's Frankenstein should take lessons from Hotel Transylvania. It's fair to call it "cute", if you can get past the cheap designs of Lego figures, but it's not innovative in any way.

Lego Batman is a parody, one that explores the various nonsensical aspects of comic books and Batman. Like how the greatest hero ever is incapable of bringing down the crime in Gotham at all. Or how Batman is the kind of downer you wouldn't want to hang out with. Deconstruction is the point.

That's correct, which is why its praise is undeserved. It doesn't take much creativity to unravel a mythos and inject a plethora of corny jokes. Lego Batman presented a clichéd message at the expense of the titular character's universe. That's hardly justification for the affection that this film has received.

tumblr_olqqz2oO5T1v2pzzno1_500.gif

tumblr_olqqz2oO5T1v2pzzno2_500.gif

tumblr_olqqz2oO5T1v2pzzno3_500.gif

tumblr_olqqz2oO5T1v2pzzno4_500.gif

Had Lego Batman been treated as just another disposable kids' special, I would have likely had no problem with it. It was actually worse than the previous DC-Lego efforts, but somehow has garnered an undeserved amount of praise. Moreover, we regularly dissect Y7 cartoons on SHH, so critiquing Lego Batman shouldn't come as a shock.
Critiquing an animated film is usual. Attacking one for being considered great so vigorously, isn't all that common. At least I don't think it is. I don't remember weeks long tirades against the Incredibles, Wall-E, Up, Frozen, the Lego Movie, Toy Story 3, How to Train Your Dragon, etc.

Even still, I don't think anyone has a problem with you not liking it. It is the odd arguments, like how because something has the lego design, it looks cheap. As if parody in and of itself cannot produce something special. That is like saying Monty Python had no value to them.

This is one of my chief criticisms of the film. It's brainless eye candy, but critics are acting like there is something of substance for the DCEU to learn. Lego Batman takes a very old formula of making something dark and sincere into something campy and vacuous. The assertion that Lego Batman has anything to offer the DCEU is akin to declaring that Bram Stoker's Dracula or Mary Shelley's Frankenstein should take lessons from Hotel Transylvania. It's fair to call it "cute", if you can get past the cheap designs of Lego figures, but it's not innovative in any way.
That war against the Lego designs is so damn funny. What is wrong with Lego figures? :funny:

There is more brains, more substance to Lego Batman, then all 3 of the releases DCEU movies so far imo. It understands how to honor its characters, while being fun and entertaining.

That's correct, which is why its praise is undeserved. It doesn't take much creativity to unravel a mythos and inject a plethora of corny jokes. Lego Batman presented a clichéd message at the expense of the titular character's universe. That's hardly justification for the affection that this film has received.
The movie is praised for being clever, charming, heartfelt, while also being very funny and all around being incredibly entertaining. I had more fun watching Lego Batman then anything associated with DC since TDKR.

Last edited:
It's not worth debating him, trust me. He still to this day complains about Topher Grace being in Spider-Man 3.

Watched it today, enjoyed it which felt refreshing to say the least. I loved that they tackled Bats broodyness and his loner nature. To me, it felt like they were making a statement of all the previous Batman movies basically having him be solo, finally getting the Bat-family after so many years was SOOOOOOOO great! Even if it was weird that they had Bruce have a thing for Bats.

When I only saw pictures of the movie, I totally thought that Dick was Carrie Kelley lol.

Critiquing an animated film is usual. Attacking one for being considered great so vigorously, isn't all that common. At least I don't think it is. I don't remember weeks long tirades against the Incredibles, Wall-E, Up, Frozen, the Lego Movie, Toy Story 3, How to Train Your Dragon, etc.

That war against the Lego designs is so damn funny. What is wrong with Lego figures? :funny:

There is more brains, more substance to Lego Batman, then all 3 of the releases DCEU movies so far imo. It understands how to honor its characters, while being fun and entertaining.

If I may draw a more common parallel, you probably know a few guys with the attitude of "I'd rather push a Chevy than drive a Ford" (or insert any other two vehicle makers into the equation) when it comes to their cars. As a long-time figure collector, I'm not immune to a similar type of snobbery. I wouldn't soil my fingers with the bargain basement trash that is Lego, and I still find it odd that such ill-fitting figures were chosen for action-packed animation. WB could have done the Super Powers collection, or Mego, or something in the JLU figure style...anything but Lego.

I'll guess we'll just have to disagree on how characters are "honored". I see nothing reverent about turning a conflicted hero with a genius intellect into a slow-witted narcissist.

It's not worth debating him, trust me. He still to this day complains about Topher Grace being in Spider-Man 3.

Stoking the fire since 2005.

This is one of my chief criticisms of the film. It's brainless eye candy, but critics are acting like there is something of substance for the DCEU to learn.

There is something for the DCEU to learn from this though! I believe the lesson is....stop making godawful movies. :sly:

A big reason as to why the character of Lego Batman works for me is because he is a fantastic parody of the so many issues I have with SO many Batman writers nowadays. From the "everything Batman does is perfect" stuff to the "let's make the other heroes look lame to make Batman even cooler" stuff ... I just think that it's great satire. When you have a superhero who acts like that, then the odds are that he's a jackass. I think Lego Batman tackles that perfectly. :up:

I dunno, I could see Elsa being framed by Mr.Freeze and Bats solves it and gets the girl.

I bet Lego Venom would be better than the comic book one :woot:

I bet Lego Venom would be better than the comic book one :woot:
You don't need to hide your joy any longer, Joker. Embrace the start of Venom's redemption.

I wondered what the "Tireless Topher Trasher" was about :huh:

If you think I'm rough on Lego Batdouche, you should have been around when I was skewering Ol' Floppy Arms a decade ago.:cwink:

Last edited:
Oh, we all accept Venom's reputation as one of the worst CB characters ever, lol

If you look up the textbook definition of Beating a Dead Horse, you should find Lantern Venom and Topher Grace.

If you look up the textbook definition of Beating a Dead Horse, you should find Lantern Venom and Topher Grace.

But...muh poorly written comic book characters!!11!!1! You don't get the deep character that is Venom!!!11!

Just saw The Lego Batman movie is not doing so well in the Box Office. Earned just around $230M global so far. Shame.

Just saw The Lego Batman movie is not doing so well in the Box Office. Earned just around $230M global so far. Shame.

I would call this a bit of an exaggeration.
Pre-release, industry forecasts had Lego Batman at a $50million-plus opening weekend (per Deadline), and a $200million domestic, $400mil worldwide gross.
After the $55million opening weekend and positive reviews, I think expectations were that it would also hit the 200/400 predictions. It will likely fall a bit short of those numbers (probably $180/190mil domestic, $350-375 worldwide).
So, while the final numbers may end up a bit disappointing, to say that is 'not doing so well' is a little misleading.
The Lego Batman Movie is a hit, just not a breakout hit.

Please tell me this is a joke? It had a budget of 80 million, and if it's made $230 mil...that's nearly 3 times the budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"