Les Miserables: One Thread More!

I think it's legal in Utah and that's about it. And I imagine you have to be a Mormon. There might also be exceptions for people who belong to other polygamous religions but you'd likely have to prove it, and it doesn't sound to me like that's the case here. She's just a nutball.
I don't know whether you were joking or not, but you're wrong on both the Utah and the Mormon count :dry: Polygamy is illegal here in Utah and Mormon's stopped the practice of polygamy in 1890

Les Mis is going to be here all next week and i'm so bummed I cannot go :(

I don't know whether you were joking or not, but you're wrong on both the Utah and the Mormon count :dry: Polygamy is illegal here in Utah and Mormon's stopped the practice of polygamy in 1890

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that! :) OK, I stand corrected. I thought it was still in practice. My apologies.

Last edited:
For you Sam Barks fans, she sang "Another Suitcase in Another Hall" on a BBC tribute to Andrew Lloyd Webber last week:

[YT]CM6p3gTpZfM[/YT]

Love that song.

thank you so much for this song. i've listened to it easily a 100x since.

Les Mis is going to be here all next week and i'm so bummed I cannot go :(

scratch that. I went on the 28th and saw the final showing before it left here on tour.

I went by myself, impulsively buying my ticket after I got off work. I was in the first row balcony, middle seat, so i lucked out there. I sobbed my eyes out.

It was amazing. I took some pics, bought the program and got the usher to give me some extra playbills for friends.

I took a few photos, when we were allowed, but should I post them here? I was tempted to make a Les Mis musical/book thread in Books & Music forum, but thought maybe someone like narrows or Danoyse should, since they've been here since day one.

speaking of, over the last week being home sick and all, i've read every Les Miserable thread on here.

my phone case came in finally

3090hp4.jpg

no lol it's the french flag blending into her hair

it's a variation of the original iconic image, done by one of my fave digital artists, Alice Zhang

here is the original

2145onr.jpg

So saw this movie last night and just had to rant somewhere about it because I can't believe this was nominated for a Oscar, it was awful. I mean, what, as long as you sing all your lines in a movie that makes it good? I can't believe the praise this got, there's not even a real plot until halfway into the movie, none of the characters are given clear motivation, outside of Russell Crowe, the worst cop ever, who's been chasing Hugh Jackman for 17 years and he can never catch him, the guy set up a company and Russell Crowe doesn't notice? Anne Hathaway who goes from working girl to prostitute to dead within the span of what looks like in the movie a couple days at most, her big song didn't move me at all because I didn't even get to know her and she slipped into hooking pretty quick. Then there's Amanda Seifried and the guy who have an epic love affair before even saying one word to each other. Damn, this movie was just crap. No, I have never seen the play and after watching this would never buy a ticket and I'm really not opposed to theater, I liked Spamalot, Rock of Ages and Book of Mormon. Those did something Les Mis didn't though actually took the time to develop the characters so you actually cared about them.

I liked it when I saw it a few months back. I'm not sure if it was Oscar material (though memory is a bit foggy so maybe so) but it certainly wasn't terrible. Especially for a musical, something I normally despise.

So saw this movie last night and just had to rant somewhere about it because I can't believe this was nominated for a Oscar, it was awful. I mean, what, as long as you sing all your lines in a movie that makes it good? I can't believe the praise this got, there's not even a real plot until halfway into the movie, none of the characters are given clear motivation, outside of Russell Crowe, the worst cop ever, who's been chasing Hugh Jackman for 17 years and he can never catch him, the guy set up a company and Russell Crowe doesn't notice? Anne Hathaway who goes from working girl to prostitute to dead within the span of what looks like in the movie a couple days at most, her big song didn't move me at all because I didn't even get to know her and she slipped into hooking pretty quick. Then there's Amanda Seifried and the guy who have an epic love affair before even saying one word to each other. Damn, this movie was just crap. No, I have never seen the play and after watching this would never buy a ticket and I'm really not opposed to theater, I liked Spamalot, Rock of Ages and Book of Mormon. Those did something Les Mis didn't though actually took the time to develop the characters so you actually cared about them.

I take it you've never read the book either.

So saw this movie last night and just had to rant somewhere about it because I can't believe this was nominated for a Oscar, it was awful. I mean, what, as long as you sing all your lines in a movie that makes it good?

Yes, I specifically recall all of the positive reviews being for signing all of their lines. :dry:

I can't believe the praise this got, there's not even a real plot until halfway into the movie, none of the characters are given clear motivation,

Except for the entire prologue about Valjean looking for escape from a life of persecution and that simple act of mercy from the Bishop that guides him through the rest of the story. Nope, nothing to see here.

outside of Russell Crowe, the worst cop ever, who's been chasing Hugh Jackman for 17 years and he can never catch him, the guy set up a company and Russell Crowe doesn't notice?

He did. As soon as he arrived in town, which was that day. What movie were you watching?

"It seems to me we may have met," is what he said during their first conversation. Then he definitely recognized him when he saved the man from being crushed by the cart a few minutes later, so much so that he even sent a letter to Paris about his suspicions about who he was.

It's not like there was an 800 tip line that people could call in the 19th century, its pretty easy for someone to stay hidden if they needed to. Or that Javert worked the 'find Jean Valjean' beat for his entire career. Also, the closest he came to catching him was saved by the man Valjean rescued from the cart accident...which goes back to that whole 'goodness that comes from acts of mercy' theme established at the start of the film that you missed.

Anne Hathaway who goes from working girl to prostitute to dead within the span of what looks like in the movie a couple days at most, her big song didn't move me at all because I didn't even get to know her and she slipped into hooking pretty quick.

Did she needed to be sexually assaulted by drunken sailors a few more times before it became sad. We did get to know what was happening to her...she was abandoned with a child that she was forced to give up. She was fired for being an unmarked mother. Told in a letter that her daughter is very sick, she sells her locket, her hair, her teeth (which become infected), and finally herself to send money to help her.

By the time she gets to her song, it's at a point where this character cannot possibly have to sink any lower. It's awful, and devastating, but all for the love of her daughter, which really makes her a beautiful character and her ordeal even worse.

And again, she's shown an act of mercy that leads to her daughter being saved. Again, with the redemption thing.

Then there's Amanda Seifried and the guy who have an epic love affair before even saying one word to each other.

Go dig up Victor Hugo and yell at him for a little while, that's how he wrote it.

Damn, this movie was just crap. No, I have never seen the play and after watching this would never buy a ticket and I'm really not opposed to theater, I liked Spamalot, Rock of Ages and Book of Mormon. Those did something Les Mis didn't though actually took the time to develop the characters so you actually cared about them.

Spamalot had character development? :lmao:

And I loved Spamalot, but seriously... :lmao:

the guy set up a company and Russell Crowe doesn't notice?

Jean changed his name to Monsieur Madeleine. "Madeleine" was the one who set up the company, not Jean. Javert had never been to Montreuil (sp?) or met "Madeleine", so what was he supposed to notice?

And as Danoyse pointed out, Javert did realize (or at least strongly suspect) who Jean was very soon after his arrival.

It'll be my 10th time seeing it. :yay:

i would love to see that on broadway one day

The most I've seen of any show is twice. How many show have you seen?

I saw my first Broadway show in 1980...so I've seen a lot. Les Mis I've seen 8 times on Broadway, and once in London.

Here's the first Broadway show I ever saw. It was Peter Pan, with Sandy Duncan. I was in kindergarten when I saw it:

They should rename this movie Le Miserables the Close Ups!

Last edited:
I heard an awful rumor that Andy Mientus is playing Marius on Broadway. Hope that stays a rumor.

I hope one day we get a filmed version of the full stage show, lke they did with the 25th anniversary of The Phantom of the Opera.

That would be cool but I'm not counting on it. Filming entire stage shows of big budget musicals is pretty unusual. Sondheim does it and so does Lloyd Webber once in a while but for the most part it doesn't happen. I think the 25th anniversary show is the closest we'll ever get, and bootlegs on YouTube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"