Let the villian actually cause some true destruction this time...

NotFadeAway

Superhero
Reaction score
I couldn't find an appropriate thread for this on the 1st page and I didn't feel like digging, so here we go.

I think one of the biggest keys to the success of the next Superman film is the villian. Superman needs to go up against a threatening baddie NOT named Lex Luthor. The film can have Lex around, but not as the focus or the villian this time, slowly build up Lex as a corporate mongul/politician.

I hate when comic book movies and sci-fi/fantasy flicks in general have there villians talk a big game, yet accomplish nothing. Not to beat a dead horse, but look at The Dark Knight and Star Trek. The villians in both films actually killed and destroyed a great deal, up until the end of the film the villians got the better of the good guys, and that made those films better. Jason Isaacs in the Patriot is another good example. While historically an inaccurate movie, that character was so easy to hate and so sinister because of the actions he took during the film.

Lets say Braniac is the villian in the next film. I want to see atleast brief scenes of Braniac destroying worlds across the galaxy. And when Braniac comes to Earth, let him destroy a DCU city or two not named Metropolis. Have Braniac destroy Hub City, for example. Have Superman fail to save the day at some point during the film, show Superman picking himself up off the ground and charging forward.

And please, no more campy villians, like Luthor and Zod in the Donnerverse. Please make the audience hate the villian as much as they love Superman. I think it's essential.

This has definitely all been said before, but at this point... Not a whole lot of new discussion to bring up. :-/

The villain should be every bit as powerful as Superman, maybe even moreso.
The fight between them should have such power that buildings collapse from the blows.
I want to see city buses used as clubs. I want to see ships thrown like missles.
When the camera pans up and out, I want at least half of whatever city they were fighting in left in smoking ruins.

Last edited:
i wanna see the people is in real danger; not just running away from an office. i wanna see their panic & hopeless faces.
the SR's disaster in Metropolis is so tv-drama/smallville standard. it's just lack of the sense of urgency and panic. the disaster in the model is much much more sucessful.

If something like that happened in real life, you would have alot of innocent lives lost.

Innocent life is lost in bank robberies, carjackings, etc, all the time. How much moreso would it happen with a superpowered villain thats bent on destruction.

You dont have to show each and every life lost during the rampage or the fight of course, but the numbers should be thrown across the headlines of newspapers, and be shown on the news to give it a sense of urgency.

The thing about Superman is he is one of the very few characters in comics or any form of fiction who could stand alone against an all out end of the world scenario.

There is so much wasted potential just showing him cleaning up Luthor's reality scams.

It is fun seeing a scene or two watching how ineffective bank robbers are against him, but if you have a character that powerful at some point he needs to be challenged, and not just with kryptonite.

If only they would raise the stakes to the point where the end of the world is at hand, there is real terror and panic in the streets, and some form of ultimate evil(Darkseid maybe...) threatens to destroy everything. One man(even if it is Superman) standing alone against something on that sort of massive scale would finally create a scenario where you actually feel like the odds aren't in Superman's favor, and that's what is needed for a truely epic Superman film.

Considering what The Joker did to Gotham....
A superman villain should be able to level city blocks...

Afer watching Superman Returns again the other night and watching (and absolutely loving 100%) Transformers ROTF last night i'm left with the following thought about a possible new Superman movie..

Cut the emotional "oh I love Lois but she only loves one side of me.. and Oh i'm so alone on this planet" crap.. Give Michael Bay the next Superman movie, lets have a villain who's not afraid to destroy cities, kill innocent people.. And lets have a Superman who will quite happily kick seven shades of **** out of him for doing so (the villain not Michael Bay).

If something like that happened in real life, you would have alot of innocent lives lost.

Innocent life is lost in bank robberies, carjackings, etc, all the time. How much moreso would it happen with a superpowered villain thats bent on destruction.

You dont have to show each and every life lost during the rampage or the fight of course, but the numbers should be thrown across the headlines of newspapers, and be shown on the news to give it a sense of urgency.

Look at the JLU Superman vs Captain Marvel fight episode. Count the felonies commited by each hero. Something on the order of 3 every second or so. And that's in a cartoon. Bring that level of destruction into CGI and the realism of it will convince the audience that Superman is a menace.

This violates an unstated canonical rule in Comics: The hero, acting heroically is a good thing for society.

Probably the best way to do this is to Fight Brainiac's ship as it attacks Earth.

It's not like we need all 4 quarters of the moon anyway. 3/4ths of it'll do just fine. ;)

Yea it would be sweet to see major city destruction between a superman/super villain fight.

I perfer for my Summer blockbusters to not be complete s**t so I say no to taking any pointers from that awful Transformers franchise.

Yes it makes tons of money but it's crap so whocares?

I perfer for my Summer blockbusters to not be complete s**t so I say no to taking any pointers from that awful Transformers franchise.

Not wishing to begin a fight here but what do you class as a summer blockbuster?

Transformers (both 1 and 2) left (as far as I could see) people leaving the theater with a smile on there faces...

True neither film had a scene wher ethe dialogue made you sit and know that for years to come you would remember that scene and still have a fondness for the words spoken..

However these films excite, they entertain.. For that short time up on that big screen the audience sees that no matter what the danger, no matter how things may be when the chips are down the hero will prosper and will save the day.. Isn't that how a Superman movie is meant to make you feel?

Not wishing to begin a fight here but what do you class as a summer blockbuster?

Transformers (both 1 and 2) left (as far as I could see) people leaving the theater with a smile on there faces...

True neither film had a scene wher ethe dialogue made you sit and know that for years to come you would remember that scene and still have a fondness for the words spoken..

However these films excite, they entertain.. For that short time up on that big screen the audience sees that no matter what the danger, no matter how things may be when the chips are down the hero will prosper and will save the day.. Isn't that how a Superman movie is meant to make you feel?
The first Transfomers was fun in a dumb way but it's a terrible movie to me and not my idea of a good summer movie. I'm not asking for the greatest movies ever when it comes to summer blockbusters but I am asking for something thats tons better than Transformers. Since I don't want to dig up 5 year old movies that I dug I'll say that I'd be happy with a movie as good as Iron Man from last year and Star Trek. I liked Trek quite a bit but it had too many jokes and an underdone storyline.

Iron Man 8/5/10

Star Trek 8/10

I'm not asking for the moon but I do want something that isn't Transformers. I know I'm in the minority on my dislike of the franchise but that doesn't stop me from not liking it.

the only way they can acomplish this, is if they go in to the making of the movie with the mindset of creating something more mature and exciting.

A superman first fight, with superman bleeding and then coming back later on the film to have another battle will be fantastic.

I say, they should look at the Superman 3 junkyard battle scene for an example of how to do a Superman Fight, except this time obviously they will have much better sfx and chances to do more spectacular stuff.

Also, they should look at the music played in that junkyard scene, its very sinister and creepy!

We don't want any of that crappy stuff from so many superhero movies.

They should experiment,change it up, throw in some of those sounds as heard in the Junkyard fight.

do it now please WB!

I think its just crazy to not take advantage of what a Superman film could bring to the big screen.....It doesnt have to be transformers on crack, but it doesnt have to be citizen kane or gone with the wind either. There has to be a happy medium. The problem will be in finding a director that knows where its at.

if it makes tons of money then the studio cares. and if it makes tons of money then people liked what they watched.

but IM and star trek also made money. story and humor like in IM and star trek and the scale of action should be like in TF ( size of action)

if you look at Superman: Doomsday and JLU you can see that there is plenty of opportunity with a good fight, but with a villain like Darksied it would be cool if he was more a looming threat coming towards Earth like the first sign that he's coming is that a planet disappears and a meteor shower destroys a city with Superman trying to stop it, I mean even in FF: ROTSS the surfer did more destruction than Lex Luthor.

if you look at Superman: Doomsday and JLU you can see that there is plenty of opportunity with a good fight, but with a villain like Darksied it would be cool if he was more a looming threat coming towards Earth like the first sign that he's coming is that a planet disappears and a meteor shower destroys a city with Superman trying to stop it, I mean even in FF: ROTSS the surfer did more destruction than Lex Luthor.
My hope would be for a trilogy.

1st film. origin. 2 main villains with an appearence of a 3rd toward the end. Lex and Metallo are the two main villains. Clark arrives in metropolis after we've seen krypton and smallville.. Lex is pretty much king in Metropolis, and the public for the most part loves him, but Lois, perry, and jimmy don't trust Lex.
Lexcorp, starlabs, etc are all there.
Reports of mysterious happenings and miraculous saves start coming in to the Daily planet. its revealed thats its Superman. The publics attention turns from Lex to the man of steel.
Lex is livid.
He creates intergang to bring Superman down. they fail. Lex then creates metallo using his bodyguard john corbin. The power supply for metallo is a recently discovered meteor that gives off an unique energy.
Metallo and Superman meet. The first round belongs to metallo.
Lex is ecstatic.
Superman turns to star labs for aid and gets a lead lined suit.

Round two. Superman defeats metallo, and with nothing to tie metallo to Lex, Lex gets away scott free.
Last scene of the film...Brainiac arrives on earth and makes contact with Lex. He proposes a partnership to bring down their mutual enemy. Brainiac promises Lex controll of the world, and all Brainiac wants is Superman dead and to take possesion of the kryptonarian body.

2nd film. Two villains. Lex and Brainiac, but there is a strong hint of a 3rd villain throughout the film.
Brainiac creates drones to take down superman while lex goes public and blames superman for this new alien threat. the public slowly turns on Superman.

Superman Vs the drones.

Huge fights, buildings damaged, cars are thrown etc. Superman finally gets the upper hand on the drones and then goes after Brainiac himself.
superman takes brainiac down after a lengthy struggle and discovers that Brainiac was sent by a being called Darkseid to prepare the Earth for invasion. Superman discovers the exact date of the attack.
Lex cant believe he was fooled by Brainiac.
Superman flies off at top speed to see the president and the U.N.
Final scene. In space. camera zooms onto a planet. Apolkolips. Its Dark, fiery, and depressing.
The camera zooms on and into a fortress. A large figure is seen standing in a throne room hidden in shadow, his eyes glow white.

3rd film. full on invasion of the Earth.

I'd show the people of the earth preparing for the imminent invasion. Superman is at the U.N trying to convince the holdout countries how dire the situation is...most are sceptical.
Superman is frustrated.
He finds a surprising supporter in a chinese diplomat. The diplomat is convinced. he rises from his chair, and stands beside Supes. Silence fills the room. Togeather, they bring the remaining countries onboard...Superman, finding his stride, tells them this is not any one man's or countries fight. The entire human race will be enslaved or worse of they fail he tells them. The entire assembly stands and cheers...

fast forward 3 weeks.

All is ready and the world holds its breath...right on time boomtubes open all over the earth and out pours a massive army. First, soldiers that look more like flying demons than anything else.
Then, Last but Not least, out comes Darkseid. All 7 foot tall and 450 lbs of him.

Superman and the combined military forces of the world are on one side while Darkseid and his forces from Apokolips are on the other.
Darkseid sneers and to his surprise, the people of the earth are willing to fight back.
He smiles to himself and thinks, ''finally, worthy adversaries''. Massive battles on every continent start. epic destruction begins.
The kicker? Lex actually helps Superman. Afterall, if he stands by and just watches, they'll be nothing left for HIM to rule and besides, Lex wants to be the one to defeat Superman.
Lex uses intergang to take down as many of the minions as possible.
Superman and Darkseid clash. Buildings collapse from the blows. half mile wide craters are created by the impacts of their bodies hitting the ground.

pipe dream I know but one can wish.

Last edited:
My hope would be for a trilogy.

1st film. origin. 2 main villains with an appearence of a 3rd toward the end. Lex and Metallo are the villains. Clark arrives in metropolis. Lex is pretty much king there and the public for the most part loves him, but Lois, perry, and jimmy don't trust Lex.
Lexcorp, starlabs, etc are all there.

Reports of mysterious happenings and miraculous saves start coming in to the Daily planet. its revealed thats its Superman. The publics attention turns from Lex to the man of steel.

Lex is livid.

He creates intergang to bring Superman down. they fail. Lex then creates metallo using his bodyguard john corbin. The power supply for metallo is a recently discovered meteor that gives off an unique energy.
Metallo and Superman meet. The first round belongs to metallo.

Lex is ecstatic.

Superman turns to star labs for aid. he gets a lead lined suit.

Round two. Superman defeats metallo, and with nothing to tie metallo to Lex, Lex gets away free.

Last scene of the film...Brainiac arrives on earth and makes contact with Lex. He proposes a partnership to bring down their mutual enemy. Brainiac promises Lex controll of the world, all Brainiac wants is Superman dead.

2nd film. two villains. Lex and Brainiac, but there is a strong hint of a 3rd villain throughout the film.
Brainaic creates drones to take down superman while lex goes public and blames superman for this new alien threat. the public slowly turns on Superman.

Superman Vs the drones.

Huge fights, buildings damaged, cars are thrown etc. Superman finally gets the upper hand on them and then goes after Brainiac himself.
superman takes brainiac down after a lengthy struggle and discovers that Brainiac was sent by a being called Darkseid to prepare the Earth for invasion.

Lex cant believe he was fooled by Brainiac.

Superman flies off at top speed to see the president and the U.N.

Final scene. In space. camera zooms into a planet. Apolkolips. dark, fiery, depressing. The camera zooms on into a fortress. A large figure is seen standing in a throne room hidden in shadow, his eyes glow white.

3rd film. full on invasion of the Earth.
Superman and the combined military forces of the world are on one side while Darkseid and his forces from Apokolips are on the other.

Massive battles on every continent. epic destruction. Too Darkseids surprise, the people of the earth fight back.

The kicker? Lex actually helps Superman. Afterall, if he stands by and just watches, they'll be nothing left for HIM too rule. Lex uses intergang to take down as many minions as possible.

Superman and Darkseid clash. Buildings collapse from the blows. half mile wide craters are created by the impacts of their bodies hitting the ground.

pipe dream I know but one can wish.

Good But I'd make Brainiac the Superman TAS version, have the one superman defeats be only a copy and have him also fooling darkseid to get the info from new genesis and Apokolips. and basically reveal this at the end of part 3 to foreshadow his return in part 4.

Yea if brainiac is to be used as a future new series of movies, taking cues from stas would be a good way to go about the character. Maybe also make a mention some how of the other take of the character the coluion(spelling) version.

Yea if brainiac is to be used as a future new series of movies, taking cues from stas would be a good way to go about the character. Maybe also make a mention some how of the other take of the character the coluion(spelling) version.

Depending on what direction they take I think Brainiac could have a great set up for a sequel. I was watching Independence Day the other day and noticed on how the tv signals were all screwed up. I thought to myself "huh, that could be a cool way to introduce Brainiac. Throughout the film just have a bunch of electronic equipment malfunction, but have them brush it off as nothing."

Yea its all about what direction they want to go. But your idea is one way they can go.

"IF" the villain in the reboot is Brainiac, and imo its a good bet he will be, then the marketing should/could revolve around the triangle symbol on Brainiac's forehead. Imagine seeing that symbol EVERYWHERE in the months/weeks leading up to the opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"