Listen to Hood Talk About Wolverine

narrows101

Reaction score
There are two videos attached to this article where Gavin Hood is speaking about Wolverine.

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1571060/story.jhtml

'Wolverine' Director, Hugh Jackman Digging Their Claws Into 'X-Men' Spinoff
Gavin Hood says movie, which starts shooting later this year, will focus on character's transformation prior to meeting X-Men.
By Larry Carroll

BEVERLY HILLS, California — Ask fast-rising director Gavin Hood a question about "Wolverine," the high-profile "X-Men" spinoff that he's currently preparing to shoot, and you might get an answer similar to the one he gave when we asked if Brian Cox would be in the flick.

"Who knows?" he playfully shrugged, referring to the veteran character actor who tormented Hugh Jackman in "X2" and has said he'd like to play the villain again (see "Hugh Jackman Says Script Is Ready For Wolverine's 'X-Men' Spinoff"). But the fact is that if one person knows the answers to fans' questions about when and how our adamantium-clawed hero will return, it's the 44-year-old South African filmmaker.

"What I love about Wolverine is his dry, wry humor, and what I also love is the fact that he's a great antihero," Hood said of the big-budget gig he'll use to follow up his Oscar-winning foreign film, "Tsotsi," and this month's Reese Witherspoon drama, "Rendition." "He has a great line where he says, 'I'm the best there is at what I do, and what I do isn't very
nice.' "

Whatever it is that he'll be doing, Jackman and Hood will begin capturing it on camera in just a few weeks. "We start shooting towards the end of the year," the director said of the first spinoff from the hugely successful (and supposedly concluded) "X-Men" film franchise. "I've been talking to Hugh. He's a wonderful guy, a very hardworking guy with a wonderful wit and intelligence and commitment to this character, [as well as] the inner struggle that this character goes through."

As fans of the comics and recent films know, that struggle began when James "Logan" Howlett was grafted with an indestructible skeleton made from adamantium metal, dramatically transforming the gruff mutant. In "X2," Cox's sinister William Stryker was portrayed as a mutant-hater intricately involved in Wolverine's origins. He revealed just before dying that Logan had volunteered for the adamantium add-on and had despised mutants before his amnesia.

"We're doing more of a prequel," Hood said of his plans to portray a time expanding on those early flashbacks, up until when Logan first meets Professor Xavier's crew. "We're going to tell you a little more about Wolverine before he became involved in the X-Men. Even before he got those steel claws."

Although Hood wouldn't confirm or deny Cox's involvement (the actor has said he'd like to employ the same age-reversing techniques used on Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart at the beginning of the third "X-Men" film, "The Last Stand"), Stryker is believed to be a main character in the script. "How much of his violence should [Wolverine] embrace? How much should he set aside?" the director said of the themes he hopes to tackle in the summer 2008 release.

To those who might think Hood is too art-house to take on the big-budget superhero flick, the director said, "As a director who's always been very interested in human drama and human nature, Wolverine appeals to me because it's a character who is constantly engaged in a battle to define who he is. You're dealing with somebody who is engaged in a moral questioning of his own nature. ... It's a grand, operatic debate about human existence over who we are.

"I think the 'X-Men' [film] series was an extraordinary and brilliant series, but I think we don't want to be seen as 'X-Men 4,' " Hood added, separating his flick (and possible sequels) from the blueprints laid out by Bryan Singer and Brett Ratner. "We want to be seen as 'Wolverine 1,' and hopefully there will be a series of the 'Wolverine' story."

After the release of "Rendition," Hood will turn his full attention to filming "Wolverine" before the impending Hollywood strike and getting it into theaters in a relatively brief amount of time. "We want to see it in and of itself as a new way of conceiving [Wolverine], and bringing you his world, as opposed to the world of the X-Men," Hood concluded. "[The script's theme will be] animal, bestial nature versus our higher nature. And at the same time, it's all wrapped up in an exciting adventure with great visuals."

sounds awesome...

only wish he was doing a xmen 4 movie instead.

Just about to post this. I like how he's separating it from the blueprints laid out by Singer. So when this film ends with him meeting up w/Professor X...it'll be different than X1?

I hope he doesn't meet with Professor X in this film... at least not in so far as the events of 2000's X-Men are concerned. If this film is good, I hope they continue to follow Wolverine throughout Japan and beyond in potential sequels, as Hood has talked about.

From what I've heard so far, it won't introduce Professor X at all. And I can't imagine them not leaving it open for a sequel.

Okay, good. I was confused by AD's comment. I thought I missed something. I think what Hood means about separating his flick from the blueprints laid out by Bryan Singer and Brett Ratner is that he wants Wolverine to be its own movie without relying on the previous installments as a crutch--but not that he is going to retcon events such as the meeting between Professor Xavier and Wolverine. That's the way it should be, in my opinion.

That's how I took it as well. That this movie wouldn't literally bring him to the beginning of X1, but instead how that character got to that point.

I like what i'm hearing so far from Hood. But isn't talk of a sequel is very premature?:huh: The character played a central role in all the X-Men movies (especially the first two). But is there enough interest for two possibly three more Wolverine movies? Logan's back story is rich enough for that but i'd (and i think the general audience) much rather see some more team movies.

I think it's good Hood is looking forward to more than just a one shot deal. Someone asked him a question and he answered it regarding Japan. I personally feel the best franchises have a storyline spread out over more than one film. They're doing that with Iron Man, and hopefully they'll do it here too. The film should however be complete as a stand alone film at the same time. I look forward for both the Wolverine and X-Men franchises to continue.

I think it's good Hood is looking forward to more than just a one shot deal. Someone asked him a question and he answered it regarding Japan. I personally feel the best franchises have a storyline spread out over more than one film. They're doing that with Iron Man, and hopefully they'll do it here too. The film should however be complete as a stand alone film at the same time. I look forward for both the Wolverine and X-Men franchises to continue.
In principal i have no problem with them being open to making Wolverine sequel(s) as long as the team movies continue.
The film should however be complete as a stand alone film at the same time.
I agree with you on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"