Living In Parents Basement.

Living with one's parents after high school is never something anyone really wants to admit -- but they are right. Saving up to buy a house would be the more economically sound decision.

It comes down to what you want to do; is their presence so unbearable that you feel like a prisoner? Are they barring you from bringing girls back to their place?

I just think the whole "Why waste money on rent when you could be saving for a house" attitude indicates a lack of understanding about just how much money it costs to maintain anything remotely decent in terms of houses. I guess do what you want. If you want a house and everything that comes with it, get a house.

I just think the whole "Why waste money on rent when you could be saving for a house" attitude indicates a lack of understanding about just how much money it costs to maintain anything remotely decent in terms of houses. I guess do what you want. If you want a house and everything that comes with it, get a house.

This.

I also question if a house worth $10,000 in 2013 is a house worth buying at all. Sounds like you're buying a problem.

The average price in NJ for a home is 300k. I know when I watch HGTV and some homes in say Texas, and Georgia were 100k. What home can you get for 10k?

Because rent is money that could be going toward owning a house. If I had the chance to move directly into my own home and skip renting, I sure as heck would have.
I've never owned, and given the amount of money my parents have put into renovating perfectly good homes (but ones that wouldn't sell as quickly if they hadn't renovated), I will probably never own.

Owning a house is great if you want to make it how you like. But the minute a pipe bursts or your bathtub backs up, you're going to wish you rented. All our drains backed up one day and we just called our landlord's maintenance man. He was out here the same afternoon, and when he couldn't fix it, he called his trusted plumber who came out at 8am the next day, which was a Saturday, to crawl underneath our apartment and replace all the pipes.

If it had been up to us, we wouldn't have known where to start! My boss agrees. He's owned a house once, and when it flooded thanks to Hurricane Katrina, he vowed never to own again, because they spent weeks cleaning it up. Owning is great when times are good, but when times are bad, it's all on you. If you've never lived on your own, I highly recommend getting a few roommates and trying it out first, before you buy a house and having that be your introduction!

I disagree with almost everyone in this thread. Self-respect is important and if you're living in your parents' basement, you won't have it. You're an adult. Take the initiative and find a cheap place to rent, maybe with a friend you can split the costs with. If you can land even a mediocre-paying job, you can afford a couple hundred dollars in rent a month. If apartments aren't cheap enough where you are, move to an area where they are. Your parents might not encourage you to move out, because of empty-nest syndrome or because they haven't fully accepted you're a man, but you know it's wrong. Furthermore no one in their 20s has a house. And you don't need one until you have your own family, with a wife and kid. But that brings us to our next problem. NO, most women won't date a man who's living in his parents' basement. I'm sure some will disagree and talk about how true love can look past that blah blah blah, but just no. The sooner you move out, the better for you. It will be hard, but you will feel proud and will build your own life free of your parents. And yes, you will get ass.
I agree with that. Owning a house is tons of responsibility, but it also traps you. It really doesn't make sense to own unless you KNOW you're going to stay in that area for at least 5 years. I hate moving, and owning is SO much money up front, that I'd have to have a guarantee of 10 years.

You'd have to find a woman who's willing to stay exactly where you are for that long. For some couples, that's easy, but for others, it's not. I know a few couples who got married before going to graduate school, and all of them had to move for that.

And it'd be different if he were living at home indefinately with no plan of moving out. If it's a temporary situation then there's no real drag.
I agree with this. My fiancé lived with his parents (who live in the east bay) when he worked in San Francisco, because it really did not make ANY sense to drop $1500/month on an apartment in the city when he'd be working 80-hr weeks. Self-sufficient or not, when it's THAT amount of money for so little in return, how could you not live rent-free even if it's with your parents? He saved sooo much money that year. :funny:

It was definitely different for us though, because I still lived in SoCal so it was long-distance. Him living with his parents didn't cut down on sexy time for us. :oldrazz: But it wouldn't have made a difference if I was living with roommates closer to him anyway.

The average price in NJ for a home is 300k. I know when I watch HGTV and some homes in say Texas, and Georgia were 100k. What home can you get for 10k?
Detroit? :o

If we stayed here, we wouldn't be able to own a house in our entire lifetimes. Anything halfway decent is above half a mil, and we're talking 2-bdrm, so still pretty small.

Yeah. A 10K house sounds like a reclaimed crackhouse. :o I tried to give the OP my opinion because he asked, but then he told me he disagreed and I was wrong, so whatever :o But if I was in his shoes, that's not the path I'd take. What's the point in saving for a house, if THAT'S the kind of house you buy? I'd much rather rent a moderately decent apartment.

Yeah. A 10K house sounds like a reclaimed crackhouse. :o I tried to give the OP my opinion because he asked, but then he told me he disagreed and I was wrong, so whatever :o But if I was in his shoes, that's not the path I'd take. What's the point in saving for a house, if THAT'S the kind of house you buy? I'd much rather rent a moderately decent apartment.
They'd probably sink at least $50K into it upfront just for repairs/renovations, and you'd likely not have anywhere to pee in/eat in/sleep in/any combination of that while it's being worked on. It's really not worth it.

Especially if you're going to be stuck with it for 5 years. :o

Yeah I just turned 26 in October...still live with my family. It is embarrassing. I have two brothers though one is 23 the other 21 and they still live at home as well. We all have jobs and we all give our parents $175 each month in rent currently. I hope to get enough saved up before the end of the year, figure out my situation, and finally get a nice apartment. But I do only have a minimum wage part-time job but I am excellent at saving. I also have a ton of value in the things I own so I could move out whenever I wanted really I'd just wanna do it right. I have been trying to talk to my brother about being my roommate it would be ideal since we both currently work at the same place but he has his own money issues and everything and he seems to be procrastinating with the idea of it.

I say if your parents are cool with it then save up man. It is better than moving out unprepared and being forced into a situation where you HAVE to move back into your parents house.

What's the point in saving for a house, if THAT'S the kind of house you buy? I'd much rather rent a moderately decent apartment.

Some people know how to flip houses. My sister fixed up her apartment and got a good price when she sold. I'm renovating my place on my own too.

Some people know how to flip houses. My sister fixed up her apartment and got a good price when she sold. I'm renovating my place on my own too.
It's one thing to buy a s*** place with the idea that you're going to flip. You're taking the costs of renovation into account when you buy it. It's another thing to think you're going to buy a $10K house and live in it all hunky-dory right off the bat. :o

It depends on the area. Here in Hamilton, Ohio, in this economy, you can get a house in great shape in a decent neighborhood for $50,000-$65,000 that might only require a little touching up if that even. A friend of mine bought a 5 bedroom near-mansion short-sale with several acres for $80,000. He had to do a little work, put a couple thousand into it, but the place was valued at $200,000 I think he said, which is huge for this area. He has that paid off and he's only 33.

Anita18 said:
I've never owned, and given the amount of money my parents have put into renovating perfectly good homes (but ones that wouldn't sell as quickly if they hadn't renovated), I will probably never own.

Owning a house is great if you want to make it how you like. But the minute a pipe bursts or your bathtub backs up, you're going to wish you rented. All our drains backed up one day and we just called our landlord's maintenance man. He was out here the same afternoon, and when he couldn't fix it, he called his trusted plumber who came out at 8am the next day, which was a Saturday, to crawl underneath our apartment and replace all the pipes.

If it had been up to us, we wouldn't have known where to start! My boss agrees. He's owned a house once, and when it flooded thanks to Hurricane Katrina, he vowed never to own again, because they spent weeks cleaning it up. Owning is great when times are good, but when times are bad, it's all on you. If you've never lived on your own, I highly recommend getting a few roommates and trying it out first, before you buy a house and having that be your introduction!

There are definately headaches to owning, but that's why my wife and I plan to hold off buying until we have a good savings prepared in the event that we need it... and I know we will. We also plan on getting to a place where we can continually add to that savings. It's hard, neither of us being college people, but we're making it work. We've just finished paying off all of our bills save for the car payment and we're working on that making double payments now. When that's done then we'll start saving for a house and general savings. My wife's looking into a promotion and I'm considering trying for one. I'm also considering a second job to make it go quicker.

I never really wanted to own either... ever. It wasn't until I started thinking of my future that I got interested. Prices are down right now and houses are affordable (as far as houses go). And while I only planned on renting all my life, now I'm looking ahead and thinking about how if I rent, I'm going to have to work until I'm dead just to pay the rent. Retirement only goes so far and it will eventually run out. I'd rather retire knowing I have no house payment.

There's a big difference between retiring and paying $700 in rent a month vs retiring and having no mortgage because you got a house young and paid it off. Yeah, there will be other expenses but they'll be there whether you own or rent. If you pay off your house prior to retirement then that's a big chunk that you no longer have to worry about. $8400 a year is a serious drain that I'd rather not look forward to when I'm making less money or can no longer work due to a bad back.

My mom's realizing this now as she's going through her retirement. She's 54 and planning ahead. She got her first home 7 years ago and has no chance of paying it off before she's dead, but the mortgage is about the same as renting so she sticks with it. She realized that her retirement money, when she retires, will only cover her living expenses for something like 10 years, give or take, and my family are long lived. Therefore, she's either going to have to A) work until she's dead and never fully retire, or B) have to depend on one of her kids to support her. If she'd have thought ahead and prepared a house prior to retirement age that wouldn't be a worry. So, having learned form her, I'm preparing, and I wish I'd have started ten years ago.

Last edited:
I moved out way too soon. I wish I had stayed with my parents and saved money for a couple years instead of rushing to get an apartment.

I moved from PA to FL when I was 18 into a college that didnt have housing so I had to get an apartment. Im 25 now and have been living in apartments ever since.

I completely agree with this statement. I wish I could live at home and save money. The money I would save on rent/food a month could be going into a desperately needed savings/401k plan.

I know the whole "living in your parents basement" dilemma is a stereotype especially being lumped into the the whole comic nerd demographic. But to be honest nowadays it's pretty common amongst young people in general.

I literally lived in my mom's basement from my junior year of high school until my senior year of college. I still live with my mother and I'm 24. I graduated college 2 years ago and couldn't find a career job for the life of me. I was working all these crappy customer service/retail jobs and was struggling to get hours. After applying to jobs nonstop I finally landed a career job as a game production artist a few weeks back. My starting salary is just as much as my mom makes. So I'm planning on big changes as far as moving out in the future.

It's tough though. I talk to people my age...they have the same problem. They're either at home working these dead end jobs trying to get their career going...or they're in the same boat but living in a shoddy apartment with 3 or 4 other roommates. And I'm sorry but living in a small crappy apartment with 3 other dudes STILL paying a lot for rent will not make me feel more cool and accomplished.

My friends are all around my age and still live at home. My girlfriend still lives at home. Her brother is 28 and works and goes to school full time and still lives at home.

It's not as an embarrassing situation anymore if you really talk to some people. It's commonplace. I was talking to one guy at my last dead end job. He's 31 and knocked up his girlfriend. He wanted to go to school but now he's working at a Target part time with a baby on the way. I told him about my situation about living at home and he told me just milk it as long as you can. Save your money as long as you can. Don't end up like him. It was sad, but I hear stories just like this from everybody.

As far as it being a turnoff to women? Women live at home too. I know it's a stereotype with a nerdy dude living in the mom's basement. But that's a load of BS. I've met more women that live at home then guys do. My friends have been in relationships for 5+ years and they both still live at home. I've been in a relationship for 2 years and we both live at home.

I'm finally earning good money doing what I love. So you're damn right I'm going to live at home for a while and save up as much as I can. Judge me all you want. I got a great girl, good friends, and a good job. I'll move out when I'm ready. I'm in no rush.

Women only make a big fuss over something if you do. If you have to live with your parents because you are working towards a goal then she won't care, if you are living with your parents because you are too lazy to move out and get a real job, then she won't date you.

I lived with my parents until I was 24, me, my brother and his girlfriend got an apartment, then I moved out of there and got my own place when I was 25. I'm 36 now and I'm trying to buy a condo. For me, owning a house is way too expensive. Who knows if a pipe was to break and i'd have water everywhere or if the roof needed to be replaced. I'd rather keep my money. Owning a condo, you only own the inside.

Not to mention, a lot of times a home mortgage costs less than rent. In my area, a 2 bedroom house costs no less than $750 a month to rent and most mortgages for a house the same size are closer to $550 a month.

Shoot! let me get in on that action! The CHEAPEST I've seen for a one bedroom in my area is about $1200 monthly.

I personally hate living with my family simply because I have been out before...first time it was a dorm room with 3 other guys...It was okay...but once again it's simply a dorm (and trust me there were times those fools irritated me, didn't help that I was the ONLY one who had a job and was working in the dorm while the other fools partied and used my resources while I was gone.) Next time I lived with a man in a house...never again will I live WITH the landlord, since he managed to screw me over royally and was almost more restricting than my parents (what is the point of living outside of your parents house if you can't have anyone over).

Mainly, I want to gain my independence. It has nothing to do with partying and all that fluff (since I was never a partier to bein with). I'm 24 and going to be 25 this year... I'm totally going to go through a quarter life crisis if I don't move out on my own anytime soon.

My sister offered me a chance to move in with her and her son (1 year old) into some apartments that she had just gotten. However unfortunately I'm stubborn and want to be able to do it by myself and on my own. Sure I would be paying half of everything like a roomate situation, but it wouldn't feel the same to me as it would with some random friend or something. Whether I fail or not, I want to be able to gain that learning experience. To tell you the truth I expect to fail, but I want that sort of life experience since I know that an apartment will be temporary.

I have thought about moving in with friends...however I've paid attention to their income, their spending habits, and their mannerisms...and I can tell you I dodged a BULLET by not moving in with them. After living with roomates and living with the landlord at their house I think I want to live alone and try it out and see how long I last.

Last edited:
$10K for a home? Does it have plumbing and a roof?

I lived at home until my mid-20s, got a decent paying job and moved into an apartment. I had a blast living out on my own, but in hindsight I do wish I would have lived at home a little longer and saved money. I probably would have purchase something a little smaller than a house, like a condo that I could have owned and flipped for a bit of a profit.

My wife lived at home until we got married. The money she was able to save helped us tremendously with both our wedding and the home when ended up purchasing.

I lived with my parents until I was 24, me, my brother and his girlfriend got an apartment, then I moved out of there and got my own place when I was 25. I'm 36 now and I'm trying to buy a condo. For me, owning a house is way too expensive. Who knows if a pipe was to break and i'd have water everywhere or if the roof needed to be replaced. I'd rather keep my money. Owning a condo, you only own the inside.

It's the same with a condo. I had a water heater break and flood half my bedroom, then my ac unit had to be replaced. All that expense came out of my pocket. Your Lawn care and building maintenance comes out of your monthly dues and that goes up every year. Then you get slapped with an assessment fee about once or twice a year for some kind of "special" maintenance that needs to be done. Roof, pool, paint, parking lot repaved. It's hard to save living in a condo.

it really all depends on a lot of factors, i'm 30 and still living with my parents do i want to hell no. i want my own place. but at the moment even with saving its near impossible.

i dont know whats its like over in the the but the uk the average decent house costs £90,000 till £150,000 and if i look into flats a single bedroom goes for £750 per month before utilities and food, or to buy £50,000

most of my friends be they male or female if they are out on they're own then 9/10 they are still living in the student housing they had in college

Last edited:
There are definately headaches to owning, but that's why my wife and I plan to hold off buying until we have a good savings prepared in the event that we need it... and I know we will. We also plan on getting to a place where we can continually add to that savings. It's hard, neither of us being college people, but we're making it work. We've just finished paying off all of our bills save for the car payment and we're working on that making double payments now. When that's done then we'll start saving for a house and general savings. My wife's looking into a promotion and I'm considering trying for one. I'm also considering a second job to make it go quicker.

I never really wanted to own either... ever. It wasn't until I started thinking of my future that I got interested. Prices are down right now and houses are affordable (as far as houses go). And while I only planned on renting all my life, now I'm looking ahead and thinking about how if I rent, I'm going to have to work until I'm dead just to pay the rent. Retirement only goes so far and it will eventually run out. I'd rather retire knowing I have no house payment.

There's a big difference between retiring and paying $700 in rent a month vs retiring and having no mortgage because you got a house young and paid it off. Yeah, there will be other expenses but they'll be there whether you own or rent. If you pay off your house prior to retirement then that's a big chunk that you no longer have to worry about. $8400 a year is a serious drain that I'd rather not look forward to when I'm making less money or can no longer work due to a bad back.

My mom's realizing this now as she's going through her retirement. She's 54 and planning ahead. She got her first home 7 years ago and has no chance of paying it off before she's dead, but the mortgage is about the same as renting so she sticks with it. She realized that her retirement money, when she retires, will only cover her living expenses for something like 10 years, give or take, and my family are long lived. Therefore, she's either going to have to A) work until she's dead and never fully retire, or B) have to depend on one of her kids to support her. If she'd have thought ahead and prepared a house prior to retirement age that wouldn't be a worry. So, having learned form her, I'm preparing, and I wish I'd have started ten years ago.
Those are some really good points, but I've only lived in areas where a GOOD house in a neighborhood with decent schools (i.e. someplace I'd raise kids) is over a million dollars. I have no idea how to begin saving for a house AND retirement unless both of us bagged 6-figure jobs, which is what my parents did. They also got lucky and bought before the bubble. Same with my fiance's parents. I can't count on having their kind of luck.

I honesty don't know how adults currently paying down debt do it, comfortably. (My coworker owns, but she lives in a crappy condo with a crazy HOA lady earshot of gang violence. She doesn't let her children play outside, and she's in a ton of student debt already.) I already have pretty cushy retirement savings - I save A LOT. But saving for even a starter house seems insurmountable. I'm in a very good place my age in terms of retirement savings. But a $100K-200K down payment for a house on top of that? Pfft!

I'm perfectly aware that we could move, but again, that requires knowing where we want to live, long-term, if we're buying a house to live in for retirement. (My fiance, in his entire life, has ONLY lived in the two most expensive areas in California, which are some of the most expensive areas to live in the entire country.) And we are totally not there yet. The best we can do is save save save, and be concerned about the details later.

Last edited:
Look, if you can live a decent life and live at home, especially rent free, and are able to save, DO IT, regardless of the social stigma. But I do think living with your parents can still be something of an embarassing situation in some cases. I lived with my parents until I was 20 or 21, and back then, even that bothered me a bit. Everyone is different. And there are other options out there, like roommates, etc.

I have a friend, almost 30, who hates living at home, but she refuses to get a roommate because she had a bad experience in college. So she lives at home in abject misery, and has been for the last five years after having some financial and health issues.

A condo is really not much different than a house. If you buy a condo, good luck selling the thing. Most places have newer and newer condos springing up all the time, and how easy is it going to be to sell an older condo when someone can get a newer one for about the same amount? It's a money pit in a lot of ways, and it takes a long time to really make any money off either method unless you really know what you're doing, and dedicate your time and effort to it. If you buy a house, you should do so because you want a house, not because you think you're going to flip it and make a lot of money quickly. Unless that's what you like to do or something. There's no half-assing that kind of thing.

Those are some really good points, but I've only lived in areas where a GOOD house in a neighborhood with decent schools (i.e. someplace I'd raise kids) is over a million dollars. I have no idea how to begin saving for a house AND retirement unless both of us bagged 6-figure jobs, which is what my parents did. They also got lucky and bought before the bubble. Same with my fiance's parents. I can't count on having their kind of luck.

I honesty don't know how adults currently paying down debt do it, comfortably. (My coworker owns, but she lives in a crappy condo with a crazy HOA lady earshot of gang violence. She doesn't let her children play outside, and she's in a ton of student debt already.) I already have pretty cushy retirement savings - I save A LOT. But saving for even a starter house seems insurmountable. I'm in a very good place my age in terms of retirement savings. But a $100K-200K down payment for a house on top of that? Pfft!

I'm perfectly aware that we could move, but again, that requires knowing where we want to live, long-term, if we're buying a house to live in for retirement. And we are totally not there yet. The best we can do is save save save, and be concerned about the details later.

A million dollar home isn't a "starter home" in any real sense. Where do you live that a downpayment on a house would cost $100-$200k? Or where you would have to buy a million dollar home to live in a good neighborhood with good schools?

The only way to pay down debt comfortably is to be smart about your money and lifestyle. That's how everyone does it, even people with six figure salaries.

A million dollar home isn't a "starter home" in any real sense. Where do you live that a downpayment on a house would cost $100-$200k? Or where you would have to buy a million dollar home to live in a good neighborhood with good schools?

The only way to pay down debt comfortably is to be smart about your money and lifestyle. That's how everyone does it, even people with six figure salaries.
Los Angeles suburbs. My fiancé grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. Two of the worst places to try and own. The dinky house next to the freeway that we lived in when my sister and I were in high school is still valued at over a mil. 3bd/2ba, pretty typical aside from the renowned school district. Cost more than my plastic surgeon aunt's crazy custom mansion in Ohio.

My already-married friend here has been sending me listings of houses she's been looking at, to own. Most of them are in the $600K range, with 2-bd and no family room. $400K if it's a short sale. (Her family is much more communal about money, so her parents would probably help her with the down payment.) Still pretty small in terms of houses. And there are still the 1-bd real starter houses, but you wouldn't raise kids there and they would be more difficult to sell later because of their size. Those are still around $300K, it's really ridiculous.

That's crazy. I live in Ohio, just north of Cincinnati, and the most expensive houses in my area (really nice houses by the way, 5 or 6 bedrooms, 3 or 4 floors, land, etc.) go for no more than $200,000. A typical house in a good neighborhood goes for around $65,000. A brand new house just built might be closer to $100,000 to $120,000.

Anita needs to move to Hamilton and save her some money. :)

Oh, another benefit... we have trees, the air smells good, and we have award winning water... best in the nation :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"