Living In Parents Basement.

I think most sensible girls especially these days would have no issue dating someone living at home if the guy has goals and is on their way to moving out like Backstreets says.

Of course, into your 30s, some girls might have pause again if they aren't really moving forward.

We got our house over 2 years ago, we did get like 40k off because the market was terrible. They are finishing building a sister house next door, although, I think it was cheaper then ours.

Like Jewhob said here, a 2 bedroom apartment is like 1,500 a month and that is like a mortgage payment here.

Los Angeles suburbs. My fiancé grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. Two of the worst places to try and own. The dinky house next to the freeway that we lived in when my sister and I were in high school is still valued at over a mil. 3bd/2ba, pretty typical aside from the renowned school district. Cost more than my plastic surgeon aunt's crazy custom mansion in Ohio.

My already-married friend here has been sending me listings of houses she's been looking at, to own. Most of them are in the $600K range, with 2-bd and no family room. $400K if it's a short sale. (Her family is much more communal about money, so her parents would probably help her with the down payment.) Still pretty small in terms of houses. And there are still the 1-bd real starter houses, but you wouldn't raise kids there and they would be more difficult to sell later because of their size. Those are still around $300K, it's really ridiculous.

Out of curiousity...what is a "dinky" house to you?

Move out of the sticks.

Or to them.

But then we'd have to watch the Browns on TV all football season :csad:

HEY!!! :cmad: Do we look like Cleveland to you? Wrong end of the state!

We root for the Bengals here in the Cincinnati area... which is much better television :up:

There are also a lot of Steeler fans in this area, but I pretend they don't exist.

I hardly think "Moving to Ohio" is a reasonable solution for anything.

:)

Especially if you like winning sports teams.

Hey the college teams rock here and the Bengals have actually been playing a lot better the past year or two. The Browns...yeah...let's...not talk about them.

That's crazy. I live in Ohio, just north of Cincinnati, and the most expensive houses in my area (really nice houses by the way, 5 or 6 bedrooms, 3 or 4 floors, land, etc.) go for no more than $200,000. A typical house in a good neighborhood goes for around $65,000. A brand new house just built might be closer to $100,000 to $120,000.

Anita needs to move to Hamilton and save her some money. :)

Oh, another benefit... we have trees, the air smells good, and we have award winning water... best in the nation :up:
I just checked my plastic surgeon aunt's house up on Zillow. She lives close to Cleveland. (Having many relatives' address for the wedding can come in handy!) Currently valued at $105K. 12,500 sq ft. This is just sad. :lmao:

My fiancé's best guess was $200K. (First guess was $400K.) Then after I told him, he was making calculations as to how much it would cost to live in a nice house in Ohio and making weekly flights to San Francisco for 50 years. :funny:

Out of curiousity...what is a "dinky" house to you?

Move out of the sticks.

Or to them.
Less than 2,000 sq ft, built in 1961. Still valued at $1.3 million. My parents renovated the bathrooms but the carpeting needed work when they sold it. And there's a major freeway literally in our backyard. (It wasn't too relaxing to swim in the pool because of the noise, and we had double-paned windows.)

My plastic surgeon Ohio's aunt's house is about 6.5x bigger, has more stories, has in-floor heating under marble floors. And a giant sculptural mural of a Renaissance painting over the fireplace that's bigger than a bed. And a little moat with a bridge in the front. :funny:

So yeah, "saving up to buy a house" isn't so easy depending on where you live. :oldrazz:

Moving to Ohio is the answer to every problem. And our (Cincinnati) teams have been greatly improving thank you.

I should point out that I live in Columbus.

I should point out that I live in Columbus.
Apparently all the cheap and nice places to live are in Ohio. :yay:

My friend just showed me a condo downtown that she and hubby are looking at. 1bd/1ba, 1K sq ft. $600K. :oldrazz:

Living in LA or SF forever screws with your sense of real estate....

I have zero interest in leaving Ohio. Anita is helping concrete that stance.

I have zero interest in leaving Ohio. Anita is helping concrete that stance.
It's only LA and SF and NYC that's that bad on a whole. My parents live closer to Sacramento and the house prices there are akin to Ohio. Unfortunately, there are no jobs there either. :o

If we were to move out of CA, we'd probably go to Kansas City. (My only family/friend in Ohio are my aforementioned aunt, and she's kind of nuts!) I have a goddaughter there, and her mom's been trying to get the CA contingent (we all went to college together in SoCal) all moved out there. :funny: My fiancé has NEVER lived outside SF or LA though, so he'd have to shed some stereotypical beliefs about the midwest first. :oldrazz:

So do I...lol. I hope to move to downtown Columbus eventually.

Where do you live? Which part of downtown Columbus?

Where do you live? Which part of downtown Columbus?

Southside of Columbus. I would love to move somewhere in the Arena District...but it is pricey...as any nice downtown apartment would be.

In my situation I'm 36 and still living with my parents but I pay my share of the rent.

Do I want to live on my own in the future? Hell yeah but with my low income and the fact I have lots of crap in my room that hauling all that stuff out is gonna be a pain, my ex-girl friend was always on my case about living on my own and since she didn't see me being more proactive about it she dumped me.

I can see the pros of living on my own is the freedom I get but then Im stuck with even more bills to pay whereas living with my parents I just give them my share and the rest goes to my smaller bills.

Forgot to mention I'm single and no kids so that takes a huge load off having to more mouths to feed.

In my situation I'm 36 and still living with my parents but I pay my share of the rent.

Do I want to live on my own in the future? Hell yeah but with my low income and the fact I have lots of crap in my room that hauling all that stuff out is gonna be a pain, my ex-girl friend was always on my case about living on my own and since she didn't see me being more proactive about it she dumped me.

I can see the pros of living on my own is the freedom I get but then Im stuck with even more bills to pay whereas living with my parents I just give them my share and the rest goes to my smaller bills.

Forgot to mention I'm single and no kids so that takes a huge load off having to more mouths to feed.

You need to grow up. You can't keep living like this, you saying you have a ton of crap to move is no excuse to keep living at home. I'm 36 too, I single and have no kids. Living on your own is the best.

I'm in my late 20's and still living at home. The last time I mentioned moving out, my mother cried and said something about me needing to stay to help pay the mortgage.

I'm slowly going insane in this house.

Are you going to school, trying to find a better job? :huh:

Good for you. But don't you care about your parents' sunset years? At 26, we can debate whether it's okay to live with your parents. But at 36, it starts to just become wrong for reasons that are larger than just you. I'm assuming your parents are senior citizens now. At this point you should be taking care of them; they shouldn't have to provide for you.

Sorry, man. I can understand in this economy someone in their late 20's still living with their folks. But not someone in their late 30's. You've been in the workforce for twenty years. Even if that's all been menial jobs by this point you would have saved enough of a nest-egg to find your own place. How can you be comfortable subjecting your parents to this? You say "hell yeah" you want to move into your own place, but I'm not really sensing the motivation in your post.

You need to grow up. You can't keep living like this, you saying you have a ton of crap to move is no excuse to keep living at home. I'm 36 too, I single and have no kids. Living on your own is the best.

Yeah. That's the weakest excuse I've heard here. I'm currently moving countries. It's called Craigslist. I sell my stuff there, donate some other stuff and ship the rest. How hard is that? This is just laziness.

To be honest, it sounds like she was right. I'm 23, I didn't even last a full year before getting sick of living at home. 36 is far too old to still be living at home. Ideally, you would have saved enough or have acquired a better job by now to be able to live on your own. As others said, having too much stuff is a lazy excuse. I have a lot of stuff at home. Legos, action figures, games, and other overall junk. If I move out, I'll either take it with me, leave it at my parents house, or sell it.

It's a hard truth to accept. If you really are unhappy with your current situation, you need to be thinking about what you have to do to change that and following through; it isn't too late. If you're content with it, then do as you please.

This sounds like me, but at 25. But in my defense, I've put in for 15 jobs dating back to December 2012, 8 of which has been for this month. I generally try to put in for a job 5 times a week now.

Wendy's keeps giving me the run around. I suspect their manager isn't good and I've heard from my niece who put in, she heard the same thing. So, I also put in for Subway(hiring) and Ruby Tuesday (not sure if hiring)

Feb Job hunt:
Wendy's
Ross
Walmart--Failed online test
Harris Teeter
Dick's Sporting Goods
Best Buy
Subway
Ruby Tuesday

I'm somewhat proud o thy self, but need to put in for more and moar jobs. 15 job applications in 3 months is low end, but this month 8 so far is upward trend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"