Lounge of Justice - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had constipation so bad this week that my rectum has compressed it into a diamond before it passed. Visit my eBay store.
This I need to see, I bet they are more precious than pure diamond.

Looks like Matt Reeves isn't directing The Batman
Shouldn't say I'm surprised, I'm half disappointed and half relieved.

I wish I could say I'm surprised but I'm not.

People still thinking Denis Villeneuve would come within a mile of this whole car crash at them moment especially when he's got Dune and The Son in development.:funny:

I don't know why he tries. There is only one "Dune", and it was never filmed. :oldrazz:

Jodorowsky's Dune has taken on almost mythical status. it would've been crap just like Lynche's.

Times come when some directors are so great, I don't wish for them to touch this genre as directors, I don't want their CBM (even if they are willing to make one) to overshadow the rest of their great work.

Jodorowsky's Dune has taken on almost mythical status. it would've been crap just like Lynche's.

That's why it can't be surpassed. :p
Seriously though, yeah, it did, it is getting almost ridiculous, but I don't think it would be crap. Lynch's version was crap due to the studio forcing him to make it as they wanted, and I honestly believe Jodorowsky's version would be something quite unique and special, in a good way.

Anyway, regarding Reeves leaving, it is by no means good news, but I do expect an escalation in rumors from "Ben Affleck wants out of DCEU" to "Ben Affleck wants to hang himself with a prop grapple gun" in next few days.

Times come when some directors are so great, I don't wish for them to touch this genre as directors, I don't want their CBM (even if they are willing to make one) to overshadow the rest of their great work.

I agree. Then again, Riddley Scott already has "Prometheus". It can't get much worse.

Just saw a news report how one programmer killed another programmer with a hatchet over a drunk argue what's better - NVidia or AMD.

I don't know...

NVidia actually won, but was sentenced to 9,5 years.

Well, all for the cause. You got to respect that.

Dude, nvidia is the future of gaming: consoles going mobile & vice-versa

I don't think i would like Jodorowsky's Dune due to how inaccurate it would have been to the book. Paul would have been conceived from a virgin birth and his father was going to be a eunuch, and the movie would have ended with Paul being killed and then he becomes Arrakis and the planet then flies throughout the galaxy.

NVidia runs smoother and with less hiccups, from what I checked on them both so far at least.

I don't think i would like Jodorowsky's Dune due to how inaccurate it would have been to the book. Paul would have been conceived from a virgin birth and his father was going to be a eunuch, and the movie would have ended with Paul being killed and then he becomes Arrakis and the planet then flies throughout the galaxy.

The way I see it, it's basically like Tarkovsky and his take on SF classics. When compared to the original work, there is no place for his spiritualism and christian symbolism and those are poor adaptations on their own, but he manages to pull it off, and in the end I like what he creates by combining his spiritual philosophy with purely anthropocentric and scientific stories, he finds the way to take the core element of these stories and filter it through his own views and beliefs.

Jodorowsky, like Tarkovsky, is an auteur. Someone with very particular style and also a person with a very particular spiritual philosophy. Also, what serves Jodorowsky well, which wasn't the case with Tarkovsky, is that "Dune" is rooted in Abrahamic religions and lends itself to his views much more than was the case with Lem's "Solaris" or Strugatskys' "Roadside Picnic", and I think that in the end, result would be the same - a significant departure from original work, that still manages to use it in the best possible way to deliver a particular message. I don't think films should be a copy-paste of a book anyway, as long as they keep the core element of the story unchanged.

And I quote Sun Tzu.

Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories.
You can recite that quote again after you've been humbled. It will be as false then as it is now.

Logan just got some pretty nice reviews. Probably another good movie from Fox. :ilv:

It made me think though: a few years back Fox was getting a lot of bad PR, due to Fantastic Four and the likes of it. People were chanting "give rights back to Marvel" all the time. I would even say that Fox used to be the worst of the bunch when compared with Marvel, WB and Sony (only in CBM genre of course). Now look where they're at with Deadpool, Apocalypse and Logan. I'd at least say they're in a bit better places than WB, which I never would have imagined in the F4 days :oldrazz:

My point is: if the management from WB gets it right this time, I think there are a lot of possibilities that WB will rise up the food chain. A temporary period of bad press isn't gonna determine the whole franchise's quality. So... just some hopeful thoughts for the weekends.

Logan just got some pretty nice reviews. Probably another good movie from Fox. :ilv:

It made me think though: a few years back Fox was getting a lot of bad PR, due to Fantastic Four and the likes of it. People were chanting "give rights back to Marvel" all the time. I would even say that Fox used to be the worst of the bunch when compared with Marvel, WB and Sony (only in CBM genre of course). Now look where they're at with Deadpool, Apocalypse and Logan. I'd at least say they're in a bit better places than WB, which I never would have imagined in the F4 days :oldrazz:

My point is: if the management from WB gets it right this time, I think there are a lot of possibilities that WB will rise up the food chain. A temporary period of bad press isn't gonna determine the whole franchise's quality. So... just some hopeful thoughts for the weekends.

Can we really call this a temporary period of bad press? Heck, the news of Affleck stepping down from directing and the rumor of him leaving altogether is still fresh in people's minds. The bad outweighs the good when it comes to WB/DC...as far as the films go. On the TV side, more good than bad.

As for Fox, yes, they're in a good position when you've got good talent, as seen with Deadpool, Logan, possibly Josh Boone with New Mutants, and Noah Hawley with Legion. There probably could be a good Fantastic Four film made, but Fox hasn't found the talent for that yet. Whether they ever will or if the property will go back to Marvel Studios where it's sure to do well is another thing.

Can we really call this a temporary period of bad press? Heck, the news of Affleck stepping down from directing and the rumor of him leaving altogether is still fresh in people's minds. The bad outweighs the good when it comes to WB/DC...as far as the films go. On the TV side, more good than bad.

As for Fox, yes, they're in a good position when you've got good talent, as seen with Deadpool, Logan, possibly Josh Boone with New Mutants, and Noah Hawley with Legion. There probably could be a good Fantastic Four film made, but Fox hasn't found the talent for that yet. Whether they ever will or if the property will go back to Marvel Studios where it's sure to do well is another thing.

Well, I mean... it's a pretty long period. But I'm hoping it's only temporary. If Wonder Woman and Justice League prove to be good, we'll be able to get out of this vicious cycle.

As for Fox, I used them as an example because they were notorious for bad management and BTS shenanigans too IIRC, not too much unlike WB at the moment. But now they're good.

Fox is the ultimate comeback story even if they might not ever make the kind of returns the DCEU or the MCU make and will continue to make. They had to change up the management first and foremost because it all bled back to the same issue. Next they had to build management passionate enough to let filmmakers do what they do best and even let them pitch projects rather than rely on a set schedule. Any subsequent stinkers trace back to the competence of those writers/directors because the people at the top invested in a superb marketing team. None of this is to suggest those filmmakers get 100% control nor that their bts development is sunshines and rainbows.

The idea of lower budget, but more director freedom in Deadpool, and Logan critic wise seems to have been a big help. And Deadpool has been a big success boxoffice-wise, and I think Logan will have decent haul.

And shows that not all superhero movies need giant CGI battles to get butts in seats.

Allowing the use of the R-rating in some cases actually helped out.

On the DC side of things I could see Lobo, Deadshot, Deathstroke, etc be lower budget movies that could utilize an R-rating.

Last edited:
I really liked Lego Batman. It was a very funny movie, one of the best comedies I have seen in some time, in terms of LOL value. The references were awesome. The story was a bit boring at parts, and I didnt like some of the things with the characters. But its basically a satire and celebration of Batman so thats okay. It was a really fun experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"