Luke Cage Luke Cage General Discussion Thread - Part 2

Not done with s2 yet I am on ep 10. This season is probably the best of the Netflix shows. It feels consistent and has fun. The Netflix shows were feeling like chores for me with Iron Fist sucking, Defenders was meh, Punisher was mopey overall, and JJ2 was depressing and whiney. I am enjoying Cage S2 and they made Danny fun.

Anyone notice they gave Bushmaster a scene that's basically beat for beat the same scene as Kingpin had in Daredevil Season 1?

Man... I'm up to episode 9 and... This show just tears at me because I want to love it so badly. I like the characters, the setting, the production values, the drama and the light touches... But it moves so slowly so as to blunt it's over all effect.

It's not so much slowness that brings Season 2 down for me so much as there's just a lot of padding, especially with Shades, Mariah, and Tilda.

Well I have finally finished Luke Cage Season 2, being honest at many times it felt like a chore getting through some of the episodes.

It just felt like it had so many problems that even the parts I enjoyed didn't feel quite right.

The Pacing - At times this show literally feels like it is being directed by a snail, some scenes go on 30 seconds to sometimes a couple of minutes too long and a lot of the time the impact of the scene felt lost to me in that empty space.

The Power Scaling - This might be more of a nit pick but my god was it annoying. Luke would go from needing a mild slap to the head to render someone completely unconscious to hitting guys so hard that if they had used there own scale would have had Luke decapitating people.

That Half A Season Drag Is Back - The first season suffered a poor second half of the season this one I felt suffered a very weak first half. Before episode 9 I can't say there was much that had me really excited or concerned.

The Fact Luke Is The Fourth Most Interesting Character - If I was to list you from first to fourth the characters I thought were the most exciting or had the best story or I just enjoyed watching the most. It would go Bushmaster 1st, Misty 2nd, Mariah 3rd and Luke 4th. That is a big problem! Seasons often have stand outs so someone gets more of a nod but for the main character to have such little impact on me makes me think it was either the show runner's fault or Mike Colter.

The Ending - I understand some may have enjoyed it and they have to plant the seeds for season 3 but Luke feels like the only one of the characters of all the Netflix shows that has finished his season a complete contradiction of what he was meant to stand for/ or what he was fighting for.

(I don't want to be a complete downer so a couple of things I did like were the music, Bushmaster, the new improved Danny and Reg E Cathy RIP. Every time he was on screen he grabbed your attention.)

This will probably be an unpopular opinion and I cant believe I am away to say this but Luke Cage Season 2 has been the worst of any Marvel Netflix series for me so far.

A lot of the Jamaican accents in this are on Cool Runnings level... But I love Cool Runnings on Blu Ray

I've seen legitimate criticism of the accents (basically, real Jamaican accents don't sound like Hollywood Jamaican accents and would have been completely unintelligible). I'm certainly not in a good position to judge because I'm very removed from that experience. That being said, I do have two counterpoints: One, I thought the show did a great job of making outsiders familiar with the culture and history of Jamaica they may not otherwise be familiar with, two, Mustafa Shakir did such a tremendous job that I'm not going to fault his casting, and, three, I appreciate that they did at least film an episode in Jamaica where they cast local actors.

I will say one of the arguments for the accents they used was because real accents would have likely required subtitles. Given that, it's worth pointing out that I turned subtitles on at times for the Jamaican scenes just to help follow along.

I had subtitles on for the whole show and they came in handy.

Also, the show made me google "raasclat" and "wagwan."

I've seen legitimate criticism of the accents (basically, real Jamaican accents don't sound like Hollywood Jamaican accents and would have been completely unintelligible). I'm certainly not in a good position to judge because I'm very removed from that experience. That being said, I do have two counterpoints: One, I thought the show did a great job of making outsiders familiar with the culture and history of Jamaica they may not otherwise be familiar with, two, Mustafa Shakir did such a tremendous job that I'm not going to fault his casting, and, three, I appreciate that they did at least film an episode in Jamaica where they cast local actors.

I will say one of the arguments for the accents they used was because real accents would have likely required subtitles. Given that, it's worth pointing out that I turned subtitles on at times for the Jamaican scenes just to help follow along.

I probably should have done that, took me an episode or two to adjust to it. The first conversation between two Jamaican characters I had no idea what they were saying.

I'm sure it's been mentioned but -- you'd think Agent Coulson or an Agent of Sheild would have stopped by to question Luke by now. After all he's pretty much a celebrity at this point.

Then again Im only on ep 2 of season 2. Does this get answered?

I'm sure it's been mentioned but -- you'd think Agent Coulson or an Agent of Sheild would have stopped by to question Luke by now. After all he's pretty much a celebrity at this point.

Then again Im only on ep 2 of season 2. Does this get answered?

Nope. There are very few references probably because they want to keep continuity as open as possible, it doesn't have any effect on the story they wish to tell, and Netflix probably doesn't want to promote a show from another network. There's nothing placing the timeline of the netflix shows with AoS or the films except for being post-Chitauri Invasion.

There's no real references to Jessica Jones (to my knowledge) that would suggest whether this show is set before, during, or after it. We only know it's post-Defenders. Jessica Jones is the first Netflix show (to my knowledge) to make a reference to something from the movies after Avengers. That being said, the best I think we can safely conclude is it takes place around the time of Civil War, not that it inherently takes place after (although I think it works best with the understanding that Civil War happened).

Still, we don't know for sure Luke Cage takes place after Civil War. That being said, I think the NYPD wanting Luke to stop being independent kind of fills the same role. SHIELD's pretty busy at the moment and has other priorities.

A lot of the Jamaican accents in this are on Cool Runnings level... But I love Cool Runnings on Blu Ray
I think the dialogue and what they say is accurate. I didn't have a problem with the accents, since not all Jamaicans talk the same.

Finished it the other day. Probably my favorite Marvel Netflix season because it didn't get derailed in the 2nd half. It felt really consistent and it made me care for the characters all the way through.

Yeah, I know it's just a show, but it's crazy that the av's haven't came calling.
From what i can gather, LC is just as strong as IM ( if not stronger ) AND he's bulletproof.
Only Thor and hulk would be stronger.

There's no real references to Jessica Jones (to my knowledge) that would suggest whether this show is set before, during, or after it. We only know it's post-Defenders. Jessica Jones is the first Netflix show (to my knowledge) to make a reference to something from the movies after Avengers. That being said, the best I think we can safely conclude is it takes place around the time of Civil War, not that it inherently takes place after (although I think it works best with the understanding that Civil War happened).

Still, we don't know for sure Luke Cage takes place after Civil War. That being said, I think the NYPD wanting Luke to stop being independent kind of fills the same role. SHIELD's pretty busy at the moment and has other priorities.
I'm drawing a blank. Could you remind me what that was?

I'm drawing a blank. Could you remind me what that was?

Season 1 episode 3.

She is hired by someone and it turns out to be a trap because the woman wants to kill Jessica because her mother died in "the incident" she somehow knows Jessica has powers and blames her as she is a powered person like those in "the incident". If I remember correctly they never actually say what killed the mother but I the way they describe it I think she was crushed by a Chituari war ship.

She even says she's not one of them and something like go and blame "the green guy and the flag-waver"

Season 1 episode 3.

She is hired by someone and it turns out to be a trap because the woman wants to kill Jessica because her mother died in "the incident" she somehow knows Jessica has powers and blames her as she is a powered person like those in "the incident". If I remember correctly they never actually say what killed the mother but I the way they describe it I think she was crushed by a Chituari war ship.

She even says she's not one of them and something like go and blame "the green guy and the flag-waver"
That's a reference to the first Avengers movie (which JJ is not the only one to make a reference to). Mike's post was saying that JJ is the first of the Netflix series to refer to an MCU movie *other than* and one from *after* the first Avengers movie. Which (as I indicate in my other reply) I believe is a reference to the fact that JJ Season 2 makes mentions of The Raft (first introduced in Captain America: Civil War) as a prison for superpowered people

If this show gets a season 3, I really hope that the villains are either

1. Atlas and Warhawk. (We have Zemo, Ghost, Shocker, Blizzard and Hyde and Bullseye is appearing soon. Luke MUST fight Atlas.)

2. The Chemistro brothers. (Simply because the alchemy gun is cool.)

If this show gets a season 3, I really hope that the villains are either

1. Atlas...

The presence of Zemo, Ghost, and Thunderbolt Ross in the films have lowkey set the stage for Thunderbolts. If that's happening, I'd rather Atlas appear there instead of Netflix.

Maybe instead of a homage to Power Man #21 (the classic fight for the 'Power Man' name, which is what I assume you have in mind speaking of Cage vs Atlas), use one or all of the Wrecking Crew?

He's tangled with them, especially Wrecker, more than a few times, and as a group, they could make for a compelling foe for The Defenders.

That's a reference to the first Avengers movie (which JJ is not the only one to make a reference to). Mike's post was saying that JJ is the first of the Netflix series to refer to an MCU movie *other than* and one from *after* the first Avengers movie. Which (as I indicate in my other reply) I believe is a reference to the fact that JJ Season 2 makes mentions of The Raft (first introduced in Captain America: Civil War) as a prison for superpowered people

Exactly, the shows have been very careful not to reference things past The Avengers' first film. I suspect it's because they want to give the writers as much freedom as possible. A reference would only be made if the writers feel that it contributes the story, not just checking a fan service box. Like the Raft reference in Jessica Jones has a plot purpose. Still doesn't help place the timeline of the shows since we only first see it in Civil War, we have no idea how long it's been public knowledge. But it is the first, and so far only, reference of something introduced after The Avengers.

Luke Cage Is Corny as bad place

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"