Mads Mikkelsen is Kaecilius Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange' started by GoblinScrier, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Chris B Registered

I think this sounds right, but I'll be surprised if Dormammu isn't the one possessing. Along with Mordo, he's Strange's archenemy and it makes sense to start setting him up for a future film.

2. samsnee Ok

I get the feeling he will be another Malekith. Utterly forgettable and interchangeable.

3. Henshin Registered

Marvel really need to take criticisms of their villains on board and start putting as much effort into them as the protagonists. At this point it feels lazy.
    Stop burying great actors under piles of makeup for use as cannon fodder to show how cool the hero is. Zemo was a step in the right direction, but little of his original character was retained.
    Mads in no makeup and sweatpants is scarier than making him unrecognisable stooge#5.

4. Michael Frost Frozen Still

I feel that wasting Mads acting chops and starpower on a C-list villain is a bit of a weird call. Specially when Marvel's biggest problems have been in their villain department. We need a big baddie that can stand there alongside Loki and has a staying power.

The big problem is that Marvel's biggest names are characters that they don't have the rights to. Dr Doom (in an ideal world Mads would be the one playing him) and Magneto would be obvious big shot callers in the MCU but alas they can't be used.

Im hoping for a twist or something about his character. He being Dormammu in a human form or possessed by him in some capacity would make it a better use of an actor of his skill. If he's just another Malekith type of character it's a big waste of talent...

5. JB33 The Eternal Deviant

This is disappointing for me because I really dislike amalgam characters. I like when they pick a single defined character and go with that.

Ah well, I'm sure I'll love the film and Mikkelsen's character all the same. It's just annoying for me personally.

6. Rowsdower! Registered

Wasn't Mads originally set to play Malekith? My hope is that he turned the role down once he saw how crappy it was and only signed onto this because the role was substantial. I don't care if he's playing a one-off villain as long as he's a GOOD one-off villain.

7. TheVileOne Registered

If he was that good of a judge of roles, you would think he would've turned down Clash of the Titans ;) .

Also I think it's pretty evident that roles might look better on the page but then everything gets hacked to bits during production or in the editing room.

8. Rowsdower! Registered

Oh totally. But to be fair, Mads was one of the few tolerable things about Crap of the Titans.

9. MbJ Registered

They're called paycheck movies for a reason.

If big actors didn't play obscure comic characters then a good chunk of the MCU wouldn't have been cast. Once you get past the hardcore fans there really aren't any Doctor Strange movies who are mainstream to begin with.

As for Malekith, the problem was that they hacked his part down considerably and that he was part of a crap movie, not that he's not a well known character.

10. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

Wait, what?

11. Henshin Registered

Two sets of news linked together: I listened to a Comic Con inteview with Scott Derrickson and he stated:
    "Kaecilius is the antagonist, or one of the major antagonists in the movie. Played by the great Mads Mikkelsen, who is sitting to my left. It was a really small character in the comics, but we wanted someone that we could create an interesting history for, and I’m not going to give too much away, but I will say he is connected to a larger other dimensional force in the movie."

Snippets of Dan Harmon's script titles leaked, spoiler warning for who this other dimensional force Scott speaks of is. They leaked at Comic Con prior to the announcement we have now of Harmon writing.
    I think Harmon had worked on these scenes a while ago, and they were filmed the other week after Cumberbatch was done with Sherlock and Comic Con.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIGmnVQFZns
    Video contains the explanation for the leak.
    http://i.imgur.com/U62CsDj.png Screenshot of the leak.

Scene Titles from what I can read:
    Kaecilius Seduction
    Mirror Realm Explanation
    Relic Room Fiery Whip Scene
    Opening Operation
    First Ritual
    Magical Mystery Tour
    Strange Confronts Dormammu
    ???? Church 2
    Second Ritual

So Dormammu is in the movie, not just his work though Kaecilius, whether he was always in it, or added in these additional scenes who knows.
    This makes me think Mads won't play both, seeing as Kaecilius is "seduced" by him. If Benjamin Bratt really is Dormammu's voice instead I'm not too enthusiastic.

#61 Henshin, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  12. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

I don't particularly think Marvel has a villain "problem" like others do, but you're totally right about this part.

Doom, Mags, Apocalypse, Galactus, Annihilus... hell, even Kang for some reason... Fox got the motherload of compelling Marvel Villains it's kinda not fair. I guess Marvel has some access to the Spidey villains now, but probably in a smaller capacity; I don't think we'll see Osborne leading the Dark Avengers anytime soon.

Marvel still has: Loki, Thanos, Dormammu, Zemo, Surtur, Mephisto, and several others, so it's not like they're completely devoid of good villains, but the best and most layered baddies are at other studios.

Same issue though that they have with the Female superheroes
    The X-Ladies plus Sue Storm are a million times more interesting [in the comics, at least] than any of the female Avengers.

13. Rowsdower! Registered

How the hell did Fox get Kang?

14. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

Though he's a major Avengers villain, he first appeared in FF
    And Marvel in their desperation in the 90's let him get sold off with all the rest

15. Mike Murdock Registered

^ Technically, Kang did not first appear in Fantastic Four. Another incarnation of the character did. And another incarnation of the character is related by blood to Reed Richards.

16. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Its one of those things that had people here going "Huh?" when it was announced. Sure, there are ties, but the prior most logical guess was "Fox has Rama-Tut", since Kang started off as a completely different, independent villain, and scarcely ever appeared in FF comics.

17. Mike Murdock Registered

Once again, after watching that last Doctor Strange featurette, Kaecilius really sounds like Kaluu - was good, seduced by the dark arts, etc. Then again, the breaking down barriers thing really sounds like Mordo wanting to bring over Dormammu.

18. Hypestyle Registered

Well, I guess if he survives the movie, fine. If he doesn't, also fine. But I hope his portrayal is impressive, either way.

19. Guard82 Registered

Yes, there's a little bit of a number of Doctor Strange villains in Kaecilius' character, it seems. You can see similarities to Kaluu, Mordo, Kulan Gath, Dormammu, etc. I'm hoping he'll be portrayed well in the movie, because Mikkelsen definitely deserves a good role in the MCU. At the very least, it can't be any worse than Malekith in Thor: TDW. I'm glad that Mikkelsen didn't get stuck playing Malekith, because that would have been a huge waste of his talent.

20. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

question: how do you say this name?

kay-sill-ee-us?

21. Relugus Registered

"The Zealot" makes for a very interesting read.

Kaecilius really does explore forbidden stuff:
    Cagliostro's (influenced by Shuma Gorath) book, which in turn contains parts of the DarkHold, Chthon's nasty book.
    Death is also mentioned, then you have Dormammu.

So these could all be involved...
    Cagliostro
    Chthon
    Dormammu
    Death
    Shuma Gorath

22. seridrl Registered

If Death is going to appear down the road with the Thanos stuff in the Infinity Wars this seems to be the perfect film to give her a bit more of a mention. Maybe not necessarily involved in causing any of the issues but maybe just a bit of a mention from the ancient One about the personifications and what they are. And then maybe in Ragnarok we might hear a bit more.

23. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Don't forget Hela in Thor Ragnarok :D

24. Michael Frost Frozen Still

The problem with Spidey villains is that I can't really see any of them on a big global event like I can (and have seen) a Dr. Doom, Magneto or Loki which tend to be the big three who have general audience recognition and have been used when there's a big event/crossover in several media.

Most of those big ones that are left in Marvel's toybox are just general demons or evil entities/quasi-gods. I'm not even sure you could call Mephisto a "character", he's pretty much just Marvel's Devil. That alone just means that they either reinvent the characters or just turn them into another cookiecutter generic bad guy like Malekith.

When we talk about Marvel's "villain problem", it isn't that they don't have enough material to adapt on that department, it's just that they lack antagonists that don't get overshadowed by the big charismatic heroes. Things like Death, The Devil, etc. are just generic evil dudes and they lack the depth that makes for a compelling bad guy. The only one that's been able to survive that was Loki so far. I think Red Skull would also have staying power but Hugo Weaving isn't having none of that...

The big charismatic villains that have awareness in the public's mind have been shipped out and that's really a shame. I mean, at least they gave us two great Magnetos but it's just frustrating that they didn't get to have him in the MCU playground. Doom has been butchered twice now, along with the F4..

25. Boom I got nothin'

That's why I'm hoping Marvel gets the FF rights back by 2019. Villains like Doom, Kang, Galactus, Annihilus, and the Skrulls could blow Phase Four wide open.