Old MCU Fantastic Four Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unpopular take...

Lawrence is actually a GREAT fit for Sue and if this rumor is in any way true then if Lawrence is on the short list for Invisible Woman just imagine who is being looked at for the likes of Reed/Doom ect.?

I shudder at the thought of who they would cast alongside her.

Last edited:
I’ve never been a fan of hiring big names because I feel like the best actors who truly fit the characters are likely relative unknowns.

Hiring big names requires compromises.

But if they bring someone like Jennifer Lawrence in for Sue, that could give them a name and then maybe they could get lesser-known actors for other roles.

Plus, doing something like that could help ensure Sue remains a key-character and doesn’t fade into the background.

As for the timing, yeah, I’d expect filming in 2022 for a 2023 release, but to do that, you need to sign actors now to get them before they commit to other projects (and I can’t dismiss the article for claiming filming will start next month, because I haven’t seen such a claim)

Plus, since I strongly suspect the characters will show up in other films before their stand-alone film, the FF better be cast damn soon if they’re not already cast.

I’m betting a cast is currently signed. I’m less sure that Jennifer Lawrence is Sue, but this story seems reasonably credible, so I won’t dismiss it until we get a denial.

RDJ, Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin, Chris Evans, Samuel L Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Benedict Cumberbatch, Chadwick Boseman etc ARE big names.

they don’t need to cast unknowns for the sake of them being unknown. They should cast the best actor for the part that fits the spirit of the character. Choosing RDJ over Tom Cruise is a prime example of this.

Jennifer Lawrence rumor is coming from Mikey Sutton and DailyMail, two known BSers.

I find it extremely unlikely they would cast her for a multitude of reasons, but especially because she was known to be a problem in X-Men movies. IMO Sue should be in her mid 20s, Johnny in his early 20s, Richards and Thing in their late 30s/early 40s.

JLaw would be a good cast for one or two movies. Something like Blanchett and Hela. She won't do well in a multi movie contract and is a risk.

I just watched a movie and I think Saoirse Ronan would be my choice right now for Sue. Right looks, right age, and a good actress with potential.

Feige and Sarah Haley Finn are at best when casting and I think they'll do some amazing casting here as well.

Saorise needs to be in the MCU. I think she would be pitch perfect as Siryn. Her co-star in Little Women (Florence Pugh) would make a very capable Sue Storm as well. She is a very talented actress in her own right.

wp4487528.jpg

Last edited:
If J-Law is to return(?) to the MCU, it should be as mystique only (similar to how Evans is Quicksilver).

I want someone new for Sue Storm. I know the popular fan cast is Emily Blunt, but I honestly just don't see her joining the MCU.

Then again, I thought they'd cast someone completely different to who they did for the DCU Supergirl, so...

Just no J-Law, not for the F4. Thanks.

JLaw wasn’t even good as mystique. Sue fits her personality more, not sure about her look though, she still seems too young (or baby faced) looking compared to Emily Blunt and others being recommended here. I preferred Rebecca Romijn Stamos. She screamed Femme Fatale. So MCU Mystique needs to be someone like Eva Green someone who can kill you simply with a glance.

eva-green-in-sin-city-a-dame-to-kill-for2.jpg

Last edited:
RDJ, Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin, Chris Evans, Samuel L Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Benedict Cumberbatch, Chadwick Boseman etc ARE big names.

they don’t need to cast unknowns for the sake of them being unknown. They should cast the best actor for the part that fits the spirit of the character. Choosing RDJ over Tom Cruise is a prime example of this.

There are more than 100,000 great actors out there and 1000 or fewer of them are “big names”.

Limiting casting to that 1% is not how you get “the best actor for the part that fits the spirit of the character”.

Your example of Tom Cruise proves my point. At the time of casting, Tom Cruise was a MUCH bigger name than RDJ ( and RDJ’s name recognition was more of a negative than positive at that time ).

You can bet there were studio execs pushing heavily for Cruise, but Marvel took the better actor despite his poorer box-office draw potential.

JL is almost certainly not the best possible choice for Sue, but she is a big name.

And if putting someone like her in the role will satisfy the execs who insist on having a name to put on the poster, that will free them up to just focus on getting the right people for other roles.

Last edited:
There are more than 100,000 great actors out there and 1000 or fewer of them are “big names”.

Limiting casting to that 1% is not how you get “the best actor for the part that fits the spirit of the character”.

Your example of Tom Cruise proves my point. At the time of casting, Tom Cruise was a MUCH bigger name than RDJ ( and RDJ’s name recognition was more of a negative than positive at that time ).

You can bet there were studio execs pushing heavily for Cruise, but Marvel took the better actor despite his poorer box-office draw potential.

JL is almost certainly not the best possible choice for Sue, but she is a big name.

And if putting someone like her in the role will satisfy the execs who insist on having a name to put on the poster, that will free them up to just ficus on getting the right people for other roles.

i agree with you. They shouldn’t narrow their criterion to only include big names but include the big names along with the lesser known and even the unknowns. Let the big names audition and EARN the role. Prove that they are the undeniable choice.

would you consider John Krasinski and Dacre Montgomery to be a big names?

I think Seth Rogen is a big name and most associate him with comedy. But again I think he would hit it out of the park as Ben Grimm. I wouldn’t say Emily Blunt is as big a name as Scarlett Johansson and none of these four besides Seth are strongly linked to a role (although Jim in the Office is noteworthy, Chris Pratt is more associated now with Star Lord than Parks and Rec)

Last edited:
would you consider John Krasinski and Dacre Montgomery to be a big names?

)

No. John Krasinski is recognizable but like RDJ and Chris Pratt, I think that specific recognizability may be working against him rather than for him.

I think we’re in agreement - we want the best people for the role whether they’re big-names or not.

And I’m certain there are big-name actors who could do great jobs, but the desire for some in power to force people who aren’t right into roles for the sake of the marque is a Hollywood reality.

IF JL is Sue, I’m afraid she might have been taken over better choices because of her name. But IF all of that is true, the silver lining I’m clinging to is there will be less pressure to get a marquee name when it comes to filling other roles.

Last edited:
She isn't in this...

Plus, she hates these films. She's been "coasting" since halfway through DOFP. By the time Phoenix came out, she was actively ruining scenes.

She's not even that good when she's in what-his-face's films.

Last edited:
Jennifer Lawrence rumor is coming from Mikey Sutton and DailyMail, two known BSers.

I find it extremely unlikely they would cast her for a multitude of reasons, but especially because she was known to be a problem in X-Men movies. IMO Sue should be in her mid 20s, Johnny in his early 20s, Richards and Thing in their late 30s/early 40s.

JLaw would be a good cast for one or two movies. Something like Blanchett and Hela. She won't do well in a multi movie contract and is a risk.

I just watched a movie and I think Saoirse Ronan would be my choice right now for Sue. Right looks, right age, and a good actress with potential.

Feige and Sarah Haley Finn are at best when casting and I think they'll do some amazing casting here as well.

I know it is comic book canon, but Sue in her mid 20s seems extremely young to me if you are matching her up with a middle aged Reed. One of the few things the two Fox films improved upon was having Sue and Reed be closer in age, and I am hoping that Watts will do the same. Reduces the potential for squickiness.

I'd put 5 to 10 years between Johnny (20-25) and his sister (30-35) and put both Ben and Reed in their late 30s/early 40s.

She isn't in this...

Plus, she hates these films. She's been "coasting" since halfway through DOFP. By the time Phoenix came out, she was actively ruining scenes.

She's not even that good when she's in what-his-face's films.

who is what his face

who is what his face
...I try to never remember his name. He’s made all of those films with her and Bradley Cooper.

I hate the directed guy, especially since he put Nolan in a headlock once.

David O. Russell
David O. Russell
David O. Russell
David O. Russell

:cwink::p

Don't like him either.....

She was also in the running for Jean Grey in X-Men Apocalypse.

I find it hilarious that Ronan turned down Wanda but really wanted Jean Grey, only to lose that role to Sophie Turner. And Turner was chosen only because she had more social media followers than the multiple Oscar nominee.

Hollywood sucks. :funny:

I find it hilarious that Ronan turned down Wanda but really wanted Jean Grey, only to lose that role to Sophie Turner. And Turner was chosen only because she had more social media followers than the multiple Oscar nominee.

Or maybe the Fox casting group does......

I don't get the Ronan appeal visually. She looks not much like how I see Jean, as I see it, and for the purposes of the prequel, between the 2 of them, I think Turner looks far more like she could be a young Famke Jansen than her.

I think Lawrence would be a great Sue, but after getting burned with the Fox-Men, I don't see her signing up to another big franchise.

Saorise needs to be in the MCU. I think she would be pitch perfect as Siryn. Her co-star in Little Women (Florence Pugh) would make a very capable Sue Storm as well. She is a very talented actress in her own right.

wp4487528.jpg

Florence Pugh is already in Black Widow as Yelena Belova.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"