Mads Mikkelsen is Kaecilius Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange' started by GoblinScrier, Apr 21, 2016.

1. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

I hear ya on that one, to a degree
    Seems like they could've gone with a perfectly decent but lower profile actor for this role, someone like this guy:
    [​IMG]

Timonthy V Murphy from Sons of Anarchy and any number of other things.... looks very similar, good actor, but you're not using a [near]A-lister on a tiny character

2. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

That's spot on, it frustrates the hell out of me that now one day Mikkelson can't take on a better role in the MCU in the future. He was totally wasted here, a lesser actor would have done fine in the role.

3. Mjölnir Guest

In one way I can even appreciate a larger actor in a smaller role and a lesser known in a larger role. Of course great actors make you buy into it, so it's not a big problem by any means, but when Hela comes around that's still in some regard Cate Blanchett because it's frigging Cate Blanchett. Comparing to Thor and Loki, whom were both played by unknowns to me and had no distractions at all.

As said, great actors make it work, so it's not really a problem but I guess something that makes "wasting" an actor on a smaller role less of a problem, although there's of course no doubt that Kaecilius definitely didn't explore all the qualities that the actor has. Still I like the comparison to Ajax as both were small villain roles and it's still clear from those roles alone that Mikkelsen has clearly greater presence as an actor than Skrein does. Not that there aren't less known actors with great screen presence though. Like Mahershala Ali as Cottonmouth in Luke Cage.

4. Loki882 Registered

My problem is more that he's just underused and underdeveloped here. So I'd have preferred that Mads get a better/more significant role, that's all. Especially since now he cannot be reused in future Marvel films outside of this character.

5. Speed Force goober

I had a feeling he was going to be underused and underdeveloped since it was Strange's origin story and they really needed to focus more on him in this one than the villain.

I had hope at the same time though because of the way they were describing him and in an interview with Kevin Feige saying they were "excited for the villains in this movie"

I've liked quite a few of the villains in the MCU more than others have, but I think they could give pretty much all of them a little more development.

If you really think about it, dedicating an extra 5 or 10 minutes to the villain would help a lot and adding 5-10 minutes to the run time wouldn't be that big of a deal.

6. Heretic Registered

I went in kind of bummed because personally I think that Mads would be perfect for Dr Doom if/when Marvel got the rights back. After seeing the film, I think he did his best to bring depth to a character that was only slightly better developed than any other MCU villain.

7. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

Kaecilius was one of the better one-and-done MCU villains, but he was still underused. It didn't really surprise me because it's pretty common in these films by now. I guess at this point these actors are agreeing to playing these roles just to be in a Marvel movie, much like how a lot of talented British actors took small parts in the Harry Potter movies just to be a part of the phenomenon.

8. Blitzkrieg Registered

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1582060/could-doctor-stranges-kaecilius-return-in-a-future-marvel-movie-heres-what-mads-mikkelsen-says

9. mustapantteri Registered

i wish they could have delved more into his background aboout his family rather than just throw the info around trivially like that. that said he's quite good for an one-off villain, even though it's a waste of mads' talent. i hope mads will come back somehow, maybe not as Kaecilius anymore but as the humanoid vessel of the big boss.

10. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Yeah unless you KNOW about the Prelude comic, you don't have a CLUE as to what brought Kaecilius to Kamar-Taj in the first place. SOME kind of flash back would have been GREAT

11. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

He was definitely underused and underdeveloped but still better than a good number of MCU villains.

12. Michael Frost Frozen Still

Part of me wishes they make him the embodiment of Dormammu when he crosses over to Earth or something. Something like the form he uses to represent himself or maybe even a split kind of thing where they use several voices to represent "the One" but keep Mads for his acting chops ^^

It's a shame to waste his gravitas in something one-off.

13. Guard82 Registered

Mads was very good as Kaecilius and had some very cool scenes, such as when he is pursuing Strange through the sanctum. Even though he was underused, I thought he was one of the better one-off villains in the MCU.

14. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

Anything that gets Mads back and gives him an opportunity to have some fun with his character would be appreciated, was bummed that they didn't give him a lot of scenes where he could use his presence and acting chops, Marvel shouldn't be afraid to let their villains shine, especially when they so often cast talented actors in the parts.

15. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

A truly lackluster villain. Maybe the most lackluster antagonist in any Marvel produced film to date. Given what we read in the previous pages I feel like they put zero thought into this character.

16. Slushy Registered

Mads Mikkelsen did a good job as Kaecilius. While he didn't get much screentime as he should've, he left a memorable performance getting you to understand where Kaecilius was coming from for his motives.