Terence Malick's Lawless (Bale, Gosling, Blanchett)

As it turns out, Gosling will be the lead in this one. Bale will lead the other one.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/afm...ence-malick-films-lawless-and-knight-of-cups/

(Los Angeles, CA) November 2, 2011 – FilmNation Entertainment is continuing their relationship with acclaimed director Terrence Malick (The Tree of Life, The Thin Red Line) and handling international sales and distribution on his next two films. LAWLESS will star Ryan Gosling (Drive, The Ides of March) and boasts a supporting cast that includes Academy Award Winners Christian Bale (The Dark Knight, The Flowers of War), Cate Blanchett (The Hobbit, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) plus Rooney Mara (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Social Network) and Haley Bennett (Marley & Me, The Haunting of Molly Hartley).
The second film, KNIGHT OF CUPS, will star Christian Bale with a supporting cast including Cate Blanchett and Isabel Lucas (Immortals, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen). Both films are currently in pre-production and will shoot back-to-back in 2012. Sarah Green (Untitled Terrence Malick Project, The Tree of Life, The New World, Take Shelter, Mud) and Nicolas Gonda (Untitled Terrence Malick Project, The Tree of Life, The New World) will serve as the producers on both films with FilmNation Entertainment handling international sales during this week’s AFM.
Glen Basner, CEO of FilmNation Entertainment commented: “FilmNation couldn’t be happier to continue to act as Terrence’s international sales agency. Terrence is a brilliant filmmaker and an enormous draw for talent and filmmakers alike. We look forward to robust sales at AFM on both of these films.”
“Glen Basner and the entire FilmNation team continue to be excellent partners. We are thrilled to be working with them again to bring these extraordinary projects to audiences around the world”, commented producers Sarah Green and Nicolas Gonda.
CAA will represent domestic rights to both films.
FilmNation Entertainment has secured sales for all territories on Malick’s next currently untitled film starring Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams, Javier Bardem and Rachel Weisz. The following territories and respective distributors have been confirmed: Studio Canal UK in the United Kingdom; Roadshow Films in Australia/New Zealand; VVS Films in Canada, Ster Kinekor in South Africa; West in CIS; Metropolitan Film in France, Rai in Italy; Vertigo Films in Spain; Studio Canal Germany in Germany; Odeon in Greece/Cyprus; Sam Films in Iceland; A-Film in Benelux; LEV Cinemas in Israel; Italia Film International in Middle East; Lusomundo Audiovisuais in Portugal; Nordisk Film in Scandinavia; Elite Film in Switzerland; Kalinos Filmcilik in Turkey; Eastern European Acquisition Pool in Bulgaria, Czech/Slovak, Hungary, Poland and Romania; Cinemania Group is Ex-Yugoslavia; Sun Distribution Group in Latin America; HGC in China; PT Amero in Indonesia; Studio Solution Group in Taiwan and IPA in Thailand.
In addition, FilmNation Entertainment is handling international sales for the following titles at AFM: The Comedian starring Robert De Niro and Kristen Wiig and to be directed by Sean Penn; untitled Snow White project with Lily Collins and Julia Roberts; Jeff Nichols’ Mud starring Matthew McConaughey and Reese Witherspoon; Oren Peli’s untitled project; Zhang Yimou’s epic The Flowers of War; Steven Soderbergh’s Magic Mike starring Channing Tatum and Alex Pettyfer; Wettest County starring Shia LaBeouf; Gambit starring Colin Firth and Cameron Diaz; Looper starring Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt; Crush starring Lucas Till; Under the Skin with Scarlett Johannson; and Midnight’s Children.

What a cast! It seems that Bale's schedule for most of 2012 is quite booked now that's he's in both of the announced projects. Malick has now four upcoming projects, never in my lifetime could I've seen it happening.

Great news. I can't believe that Gosling (one of my favorite actors) is really going to work with Malick, plus he's the lead actor in the film. :up:

Ryan is at Fun Fun Fest doing the same thing that Bale did at ACL. And of course he's wearing black and sunglasses too.

CEDNn.jpg

What are you doing Malick?! :funny:

He's with Rooney Mara:

Bup5i.jpg

MORE HERE -
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...ooney_mara_shooting_terrence_malicks_lawless/
http://justjared.buzznet.com/2011/11/05/ryan-gosling-rooney-mara-lawless-set-pics/

Last edited:
I'm assuming that "Lawless" will be shot first before "Knight of Cups" so I think Jack Fisk was referring to "Lawless" here.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/jack-fisk-climbs-the-tree-of-life

"Terry's found a way of working that's much more spontaneous and I've never seen him so happy making films. And we're about to start another one in June, this time in Los Angeles, followed by another one, so he's not only more excited and passionate about working but he's doing it more often."

Wait, so there are FOUR Malick movies coming out now? What the hell's going on?? What are all of them? Can someone re-cap?

A bit dissapointed that Cate is still cast in supporting roles.

Some are speculating now that Knight of Cups will be shooting first because Mara said that she will be shooting Lawless in September (while Jack Fisk said June).

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/12/26/rooney-mara-dragon-tattoo-qa/

You’re reportedly involved in the next Terrence Malick film, Lawless, along with Ryan Gosling.
Yeah, that’s something that I hope to do, but it’s unfortunately not until September, so it’s a ways away.

Are you definitely going to do that?
Yeah, I hope to.

What can you tell us about it?
I can’t tell you anything! He’s one of the great filmmakers out there. After working with David, it’s really hard — the bar has been set at sort of an unreachable height. I want to work with people who have a vision and who are uncompromising in the way that they make films, and Terry is one of those people. He’s incredible. He’s one of the nicest people I’ve ever come into contact with. But I’m not going to give away his secrets.

That Lisbeth and Driver.

1326705925.jpg

The credits list got jut even hotter:

Academy Award Winner Christian Bale
Academy Award Winner Cate Blanchett
Academy Award Nominee Ryan Gosling
Academy Award Nominee Rooney Mara

Written and Directed by: Three Time Academy Award Nominee Terrence Malick
Cinematography by: Academy Award Nominee Emmanuel Lubezki

Hopefully It should be Academy Award Winner Emmanuel Lubezki when this film releases. :up:

Hopefully It should be Academy Award Winner Emmanuel Lubezki when this film releases. :up:

I thought of mentioning that but I was afraid that I'll end up jinxing it. :oldrazz:

I can't see him losing this year but then again he lost for Children of Men, which is one of the best shot film of the last decade.

Natalie Portman added! :wow:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/nat...es-back-to-back-terrence-malick-films-berlin/

Natalie Portman Sets First Post-Oscar Roles, Back To Back Terrence Malick Films: Berlin

EXCLUSIVE: Natalie Portman has committed to her first two movie roles since winning the Best Actress Oscar for Black Swan and taking maternity leave. Portman is joining the casts of the Terrence Malick films Knight Of The Cups, and Lawless. Portman will join Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett and Isabel Lucas in Knight of the Cups, which shoots this summer. She will follow by starring with Ryan Gosling, Bale, Blanchett, Rooney Mara and Haley Bennett in Lawless, the film Malick shoots in the fall. It will be Portman’s first time working with Malick, whose The Tree of Life won the Palme d’Or at Cannes and is nominated for Best Picture and Best Director Oscars.

The addition of Portman certainly will create some buzz for both Malick films when the wheeling and dealing begins at EFM in Berlin tomorrow. FilmNation is selling international territories and CAA reps both films for domestic rights. The market hasn’t even started and Deadline has broken stories that Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg lead the package for the Emmett/Furla Films and Universal co-financed 2 Guns; that Joseph Gordon-Levitt will make his directing debut on a comedy he’ll star in with Scarlett Johansson for IM Global; and that The Devil Inside followup WER will be sold by Sierra/Affinity, with FilmDistrict now an equity player in the film with Incentive Filmed Entertainment. All those films will have action in Berlin and it is looking like there will be a lot of good product. My colleague Nancy Tartaglione will be on the ground in Berlin and Deadline will be all over the market. Portman is repped by CAA and Brillstein Entertainment Partners.

Excellent, Malick just keeps raising the bar, it's hard to keep my excitement just looking the cast list for this and his other projects.

The timing of the shoot fits with what Mara said in her interview (September). It won't surprise me if they go back and shoot some more ACL scenes.

The fact that Portman will be working with Malick for not one but two films is very exciting. I'm absolutely delighted to hear this news. :up:

It sounds hot. Totally unexpected from someone like Malick.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...trayal?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#

Official Logline For Terrence Malick's 'Lawless' Reveals Tale Of "Sexual Obsession And Betrayal"

It looks like a layer from Terrence Malick's otherwise mysterious "Lawless" has been peeled back. The film, one of two the director will shoot this year, has been working under a veil of mystery, but it looks like that pre-production work last fall at the Austin City Limits music festival was a good practice round for the upcoming film. And a new logline for the film reveals another interesting thematic turn for the helmer.

Production company FilmNation has a logline for the film that describes the plot as following "two intersecting love triangles. It is a story of sexual obsession and betrayal set against the music scene in Austin, Texas." And well, that's all we have for now, but it's the biggest details yet about the film that is set to star a great cast including Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Natalie Portman, Ryan Gosling, Rooney Mara and Haley Bennett. And Malick fans might want to snap up some passes for this year's Austin City Limits fest, as we're guessing the director will be back.

Before the end of last year, Mara revealed that the film wouldn't be shooting until September ("Knight Of Cups" is slated to shoot first this summer). Given that the film now will playing out against the backdrop of the music scene in Austin, we wouldn't be surprised if the production schedules some more time to hit the festival again when it runs from October 12-14.

Either way, it's another intesting revelation about the film which once again looks to find Malick moving in another bold new direction. The official word on "Knight Of Cups" is that it will be a "separative narrative" from "Lawless" but given the casting crossover between both films (Bale, Blancett and Portman feature in both films, which seems like at least one love triangle), we wonder...

My heart skipped a beat reading that, it sounds so enticing and very different for a Malick film.

personally, i find Malick to be overrated and a pretty pretentious film maker. Tree of Life and New World were total borefests. Thin Red Line was too long and would have been better if about 20-30 min of footage was left out. but this new film actually looks pretty interesting.

There's that p-word again. Now of course I don't think Malick is nowhere near that, but he does take risks with making ambitious and personal films and the fact that he does that by in an unorthodox direction, surely some are ticked off by that.

The Tree of Life especially challenge the very notion of what makes a film but I like that Malick doesn't try to appease the accessible. I love his ambition, his vision and the unrivaled lyrical beauty of his films. The fact that his films are always transcendent is why he's highly regarded for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"