Marvel April 2008 Solicitations

I don't understand why killing is this huge no-no, anyway. I mean, there's no reason for the Avengers to slaughter mobsters during a meeting like Frank would, but for threats that require lethal action, I think it's silly for the characters and the fans to look at murder as some unmentionable thing. Ellis had Tony kill a guy in his arc on Iron Man. He was left with no other reasonable option. That's okay with me.

I prefer to see the heroes try to find other ways. Too often, it seems like things are written off as having no other reasonable options when, in reality, they do have reasonable options. There are situations that require killing, but I think it's a lazy solution 9 times out of 10.

I can excuse it if we at least get to see some kind of internal conflict in the character afterwards, though. Regardless of whether they kill or not, the vast majority of heroes are not like Logan or Frank. Taking lives has to take a toll on them.

Operation: Galactic Storm, good read :up:

I prefer to see the heroes try to find other ways. Too often, it seems like things are written off as having no other reasonable options when, in reality, they do have reasonable options. There are situations that require killing, but I think it's a lazy solution 9 times out of 10.

I can excuse it if we at least get to see some kind of internal conflict in the character afterwards, though. Regardless of whether they kill or not, the vast majority of heroes are not like Logan or Frank. Taking lives has to take a toll on them.

I remember Tony cursing the man he killed for making him do it, too. And everyone prefers the heroes to find other ways. I'm just saying that sometimes, the writer can put them into a situation where it's the only route to take, and I don't throw my comic down in disgust. I can accept it.

I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen all the time. People can slip up and with guys like the hulk or sentry you'd think they'd be constantly accidently killing their opponents.

According to Marvel, The Hulk has slipped up and killed people.

really, that's the line now? That's actually rather impressive for them to treat us as though we possessed common sense.

Hulk has never accidentally killed anyone, in my personal continuity at least.

According to Slott he's never killed anyone willingly.

I'd have a problem if it were DC heroes killing, but I feel a lot more leinent towards Marvel's killing. Iron Man has killed several times. Captain America has killed several times, especially in World War II. Spider-Man has killed. The Hulk has killed deliberately.

I don't know, man. I like Slott as much as the next guy, but he's got his flaws. Writing two monthly books at a time almost cripples him. I can't imagine the cluster**** Marvel would become with him as the EiC.

I don't know, man. I like Slott as much as the next guy, but he's got his flaws. Writing two monthly books at a time almost cripples him. I can't imagine the cluster**** Marvel would become with him as the EiC.

Probably because he takes the time to plan and study Marvel's history before he pens stuff...

:yay:

or if he just mapped out a few things and reigned in a few loose writers (bendis) that would work

I'd have a problem if it were DC heroes killing, but I feel a lot more leinent towards Marvel's killing. Iron Man has killed several times. Captain America has killed several times, especially in World War II. Spider-Man has killed. The Hulk has killed deliberately.
Superman's killed people. So have a lot of other DC heroes. Why do you hold them to some imaginary higher standard?

Because they stand for unattainable goals, while Marvel's heroes are all street justice punks?

Slott wasn't saying anything different than what was in the comic. The Hulk really hasn't killed any people, not intentionally, but through accidental things like falling buildings or flying debris. That's how that whole Ricky Myers thing started.

According to Iron Man, killing the occasional criminal is exactly what the Avengers are supposed to be doing. That's why he hired Wolverine, remember?

Wolverine is there to kill the people Americans won't kill. :o

What do you mean when you say The Flash of the Avengers Dread?

Maybe I am oversimplifying. But by that I meant that in a sense, the Flash is one of the more "down to Earth" heroes of the JLA, at least the "Big 7" that most refer to. Even Batman, who has no powers, operates in Gotham from the shadows and to the ordinary citizen is removed. The Flash in Central City was their "local boy". He knew the 'burg like his left hand. Despite being one with a fast quip, he had a load of experience at the superhero game, more than enough to keep him competent even next to the Big Three or even ocean kings like Aquaman or cosmic cops like Green Lantern.

Spider-Man, in the New Avengers, as originally solicted and hinted at in 2004, could have become something similar. His placement alongside Iron Man & Capt. America could have improved his rep, at least in some circles. While Spidey is a superhero who has battled everything from costumed freaks to robots to demons, dinosaurs, alien brawls, even been to other dimensions, he considers himself an "everyman", a hero who isn't "above" the trials and troubles of ordinary citizens. A hero who struggles to pay his own rent on time, or who unmasks for a dying kid just because he asks (or, in a classic story, is menaced by...suburbia). Not to say that the other heroes on the roster didn't relate, but in some ways not the same as Spidey.

Of course, such a role for Spider-Man would be different from the 40 or so years he spent as a "loner" who was too immature, inexperienced, and/or annoying to cut it with most super-teams, even on the occasions when he was interested. It would be refocusing and reframing to make sure Spidey made this step without losing his roots. It was never going to be easy, not after so long and after so much was invested in the older stories. But, the manner with which Bendis & Co. went about it was pooched at best.

There's a difference between what Logan does and what Frank does. Frank is flat out insane. Logan's just brutal.

[IN REFERENCE TO GHOST RIDER AS AN AVENGER]
I don't know? Why not GR?

Logan technically also supposedly struggled with his "inner rage". Anyway, if Logan isn't insane than he has less excuse. I'm not saying there are never scum who all but deserve death, or situations where there is no choice, but if Logan is set upon by a random gang of thugs, his first option is usually to slaughter them, when he could easily just TKO them.

Why not Ghost Rider? Because he's bad for PR for any sane team. Only a place like LA could accept him as a team hero. :p

I don't understand why killing is this huge no-no, anyway. I mean, there's no reason for the Avengers to slaughter mobsters during a meeting like Frank would, but for threats that require lethal action, I think it's silly for the characters and the fans to look at murder as some unmentionable thing. Ellis had Tony kill a guy in his arc on Iron Man. He was left with no other reasonable option. That's okay with me.

Like I said, the difference is that not every situation calls for killing. Killing when you must is one thing. Wolverine very rarely shows mercy or any sort of real struggle against his rage after the mid 90's. I mean he is the best at what he does and all that, but with him you have an Avenger who often kills first and asks questions later. Once upon a time, that sort of rep used to bother other heroes; Spider-Man consistantly used to complain about that in team-ups. Now, Logan can gut Hand ninja in front of Spidey as he webs some up and he doesn't say boo. He all but cheers it.

Yeah, I understand this reasoning.

I remember Tony cursing the man he killed for making him do it, too. And everyone prefers the heroes to find other ways. I'm just saying that sometimes, the writer can put them into a situation where it's the only route to take, and I don't throw my comic down in disgust. I can accept it.

I don't either, depending. I'm just saying, the Avengers went from a team who would just TKO a villain's goons to one where some do, and then you have Wolverine and Echo slaughtering them left and right and no one gives so much as a stern look.

According to Slott he's never killed anyone willingly.

According to Greg Pak, too. Pak invented the infamous "Hulk Math" that Hulk seemingly "sees" to magically avoid maiming people unless he deliberately and consciously wants to hurt that specific person.

Logan technically also supposedly struggled with his "inner rage". Anyway, if Logan isn't insane than he has less excuse. I'm not saying there are never scum who all but deserve death, or situations where there is no choice, but if Logan is set upon by a random gang of thugs, his first option is usually to slaughter them, when he could easily just TKO them.

See, that's where you're wrong. "Random thugs" don't have it coming to them. I think Logan's a lot more in control of himself these days than he used to be. He's not the ticking timebomb anymore. He's a skilled assassin, spy and samurai. He's also been around the block and knows a lot about a lot. I think he's a pretty valuable member of any team.

The problem lies in him not liking to take orders or be second guessed. Logan's not going to refrain from killing someone unless Logan wants to, you know? He's not going to do it on anyone else's account. If Logan thinks some dude has it coming, or if he sees no other option, then it's slice and dice.

So, if you can accept that Logan is going to follow his own instinct instead of so and so's orders, I don't see what the problem would be. Just don't put him in certain situations.

Also, Black Widow led the Avengers and you can't tell me she's not a lethal s.o.b.

I don't either, depending. I'm just saying, the Avengers went from a team who would just TKO a villain's goons to one where some do, and then you have Wolverine and Echo slaughtering them left and right and no one gives so much as a stern look.

Who are they slaughtering, though? Hand ninjas? Those guys aren't really alive to begin with.

See, that's where you're wrong. "Random thugs" don't have it coming to them. I think Logan's a lot more in control of himself these days than he used to be. He's not the ticking timebomb anymore. He's a skilled assassin, spy and samurai. He's also been around the block and knows a lot about a lot. I think he's a pretty valuable member of any team.

I wouldn't say "any" team. I also didn't say that "random thugs" deserved death. They usually are just fodder.

I haven't seen Wolverine regret killing someone on panel in a good long time. I haven't seen him struggle against "the animal". In the old days he called himself a "failed samurai" because he couldn't find inner peace. Nowadays, it seems he doesn't care, because he got hot by being the toughest guy around, so self control had to go. I'm not saying Logan is Carnage, but he would certainly kill Carnage. And anyone working for Carnage. Is that Avengers material? Because if so, then Eddie Brock could be an Avenger. He tried to kill Carnage too. Few times. Sentry just succeeded.

The problem lies in him not liking to take orders or be second guessed. Logan's not going to refrain from killing someone unless Logan wants to, you know? He's not going to do it on anyone else's account. If Logan thinks some dude has it coming, or if he sees no other option, then it's slice and dice.

True. Except sometimes he will back off on an X-Men team if Cyke or Storm asks him not to kill someone. Or at least he or they used to.

So, if you can accept that Logan is going to follow his own instinct instead of so and so's orders, I don't see what the problem would be. Just don't put him in certain situations.

Any leader of a team who picks someone specifically because they don't follow orders is asking for disaster. And it is downright funny that someone like Iron Man who arrested people simply for wearing costumes outside and not signing a document would entrust much to Logan. Stark is a control freak and he puts a guy on his team who has made a lifetime of irking control freaks by doing his own thing when he wants. It makes no ****ing sense.

Now, if Stark had said, "I want Logan on this team because he's worked with a few of you before, and he regenerates from nukes so that is handy sometimes," then that I could buy.

Not that this has much to do with anything, but it is interesting to myself that now I am arguing AGAINST Wolverine. If this was 2000-2001 (when I was 18-19), not only would I have thought Wolverine was an ideal Avenger, likely citing team/battle experience, I might have gone further and claimed he could have killed half the roster if he wanted to. What a difference 6-7 years can make on opinions sometimes.

Also, Black Widow led the Avengers and you can't tell me she's not a lethal s.o.b.

She is, but I doubt she's killed as many people. And she pales next to Ares, who is literally the god of war. Or Sentry, who waxes & wanes from sitting in a room unable to do anything heroic to flipping out and nearly destroying the world. Yeah, that Stark is great with picking teams. No wonder Cap usually went by "fate". :p

Who are they slaughtering, though? Hand ninjas? Those guys aren't really alive to begin with.

That's what Uncle Sam said about Charlie during 'Nam. :o

I'm not saying none of the other Avengers have killed before. Just Wolverine's done it when he hasn't always HAD to. And against relatively smaller fry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"