• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

Marvel April 2008 Solicitations

More full solict thoughts:

- I love how angry Cap looks on the cover of ULTIMATES 3 #5. I'd be pissed if I was starring in that **** too. Got to love that "shoot me HERE" target on Hawkeye's forehead.

- I don't know what happened, because that Bachelo ASM cover doesn't look like complete melted clay ****. But, covers often have better art than interiors. As for Spider-Man & Wolverine teaming up again, hey, what do you want? They're Marvel's equalivent to Batman & Superman in terms of popularity. I'm amazed they don't have a buddy comic at this point.

- What is SPIDER-MAN: WITH GREAT POWER supposed to be? Marvel's done a slew of "past stories" to fill in gaps between AF #15 and early ASM issues, once with a AF series in the 90's and then UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN. They never sold. Granted, I always meant to get into Untold Tales, I heard it was good.

- Looks like Iron Man & War Machine bump armors in A:TI #9. Naturally, I am always aboard for more of this.

- I might be more willing to give HULK a shot if the premise wasn't so ridiculous; there is a new evil Hulk, and he is RED, the color of evil! Ugh, how simplistic can you get? That's Capcom logic. I bet his real name is Nasty McEvilstien while we're at it, from the Planet Horrible. Still, Ed McG draws cool big dudes tearing **** up. I'd love to see him draw Colossus.

- I wonder if GHOST RIDER #22 will officially be out of the Top 100 by April.

- Naturally, a month before the IRON MAN film, the ****ing of Stark kicks up a notch.

- That Machine Man cover for MCP #8 kicks ass. Even it that is a dead book walking. THE ORDER was canned for diminishing sales, but it sold like GOD compared to MCP. Aaron Stack has gone from being a robotic hero in normal books to being a ROBOT CHICKEN character in NEXTWAVE, I wonder how this story will utilize him.

- It is official; I don't care for the new MOON KNIGHT cover artist. He makes him look like a caped hobbit.

- More NEW WARRIORS is always cool. Considering it's sales are also dwindling, it may also soon be a dead book walking. :(

- NOVA #12 promises the meeting with the Technarch AND the return of Warlock (of the New Mutants variety)? Cool. I wonder what happened to that gal-pal & monkey he ran with during the M-TECH phase. Cool Maleev cover. It must be cool for Maleev to draw something other than Daredevil talking to a wall for 22 pages, which was half of his Bendis work. :p

- Y'know, everyone is right, Deodato really CAN'T draw She-Hulk with shoes.

- PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL promises the return of Jigsaw. Should be fun. Expect him to be nothing like Bendis' version.

- The last issue of THE ORDER ships at #10, and everyone looks angry on the cover. I can't blame them. Sniffle.

- THE TWELVE looks good. The cover doesn't, though.

- Fraction on a THOR special? Interesting.

- Let's see; BKV writes a Wolverine mini in which Wolverine investigates something in his past and encounters a random new foe who never shows up again. Yup...REAL original here. Seriously, this was done every month during the 90's. Vaughan.....DR. STRANGE and RUNAWAYS cry for you...answer the call, man, answer the call. Hell, I'd even take you back on Ultimate X-Men.

- X-MEN: FIRST CLASS #11? Guess it isn't cancelled after all. It is a fun book, but can I trade it to get THE ORDER back? Please?

- Notice KICK-ASS getting more promotion than THE ORDER did. And notice from namepower alone, it will be a Top 20 seller. Grumble.

- What is SPIDER-MAN: WITH GREAT POWER supposed to be? Marvel's done a slew of "past stories" to fill in gaps between AF #15 and early ASM issues, once with a AF series in the 90's and then UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN. They never sold. Granted, I always meant to get into Untold Tales, I heard it was good.

Untold Tales of Spider-Man was arguably THE best Spider-Man book of the 90's...

Busiek had such respect to what was done during the Lee/Ditko books, that he would squeeze stories between issues ,and sometimes between panels of any of the original ASM comics without compromising them, and it all fit very nicely.

Busiek's Amazing Fantasy #16, 17 & 18, which filled the gap between AF #15 and ASM #1 was another gem of a tale, but from what I gather, this particular story takes place while Peter is riding his stardom dafter he gets his powers, so I guess you could say it takes place within the pages of AF 15.

:yay:

Untold Tales of Spider-Man was arguably THE best Spider-Man book of the 90's...

Busiek had such respect to what was done during the Lee/Ditko books, that he would squeeze stories between issues ,and sometimes between panels of any of the original ASM comics without compromising them, and it all fit very nicely.

Busiek's Amazing Fantasy #16, 17 & 18, which filled the gap between AF #15 and ASM #1 was another gem of a tale, but from what I gather, this particular story takes place while Peter is riding his stardom dafter he gets his powers, so I guess you could say it takes place within the pages of AF 15.

:yay:

Yeah, I wanted to get into UNTOLD, but they only made an out-of-print trade of the first 8 or so issues and that was it. They should release the rest like as some sort of VISIONARIES package or something.

It's sad that Busiek's slumming over on Superman these days. Come back to the Marvel universe, Kurt. You know you miss it.

It's sad that Busiek's slumming over on Superman these days. Come back to the Marvel universe, Kurt. You know you miss it.

But Busiek respects history and characters. He wouldn't sell right now at Marvel. :(

Besides, where would he go? BND is stinging from fanboy anger. Avengers are taken. Many of the other rich history books or team books are taken. Where'd you like him to go?

But Busiek respects history and characters. He wouldn't sell right now at Marvel. :(
He's not selling especially well at DC either, judging from the sales/reception of his Superman run.

I wish Busiek and Bendis could have a cage match to determine who would get to write the Avengers. Oh, and Busiek would get a rocket launcher while Bendis would get an uncooked spaghetti noodle.

I wish Busiek and Bendis could have a cage match to determine who would get to write the Avengers. Oh, and Busiek would get a rocket launcher while Bendis would get an uncooked spaghetti noodle.

Yeah, that's not too likely, though.

Seriously, Busiek's AVENGERS style is most likely what Joe Q was thinking of when he thought, "Let's shake Avengers up a bit". Granted, his big idea was adding Spidey & Wolverine (and "New" to the title), Bendis did the rest. They have no sense of history or respect for characters over shocks & quick buck sales, and right now that is working for Marvel.

I found Busiek's Avengers plodding with awful, stilted dialogue, so I don't mind trying to improve on that (not that I enjoyed New Avengers either; it was flawed for different reasons).

Yeah, I wanted to get into UNTOLD, but they only made an out-of-print trade of the first 8 or so issues and that was it. They should release the rest like as some sort of VISIONARIES package or something.

I'm surprised you can't get all 25 issues on-line or in back issue bins...

:huh: :huh: :huh:

I found Busiek's Avengers plodding with awful, stilted dialogue, so I don't mind trying to improve on that (not that I enjoyed New Avengers either; it was flawed for different reasons).

True story, when JLA/AVENGERS came out some years ago, around 2003-2004 or so, I thought it read very retro at the time. I was still getting used to collecting comics weekly again after stopping during high school at the end of the 90's. I was heavily into the Ultimate line.

But fast forward to 2008, and I find that all the then-hot pop culture of ULTIMATES has aged it horribly fast, and JLA/AVENGERS, stodgy details aside, has aged better, feels more timeless and classic. Yeah, maybe reading Hawkeye scream, "Like FUN, pal!" as a retort seems a bit dated, but the rest about the characters feels more RIGHT and accurate than, say, Clint becoming Ronin or porking Psycho-Broad Wanda aimlessly. 4-5 years later, I've re-read that story more often than anything Ultimate.

To each their own, of course. Busiek has his particular style, the problem is that Marvel is really more about "what is hot NOW and to hell with how it looks a year or two later" currently more than ever.

I'm surprised you can't get all 25 issues on-line or in back issue bins...

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Admittedly, I usually am too broke to look very hard.

Oh, and if "YOUNG X-MEN" is intended to replace NXM, it isn't starting by April.

I'll be getting:

Definitely:

GIANT-SIZED ASTONISHING X-MEN #1 - delayed into April, may yet go further; I really don't care anymore, I must say.
CAPTAIN AMERICA #37 - consistently kick-ass.
FANTASTIC FOUR #556 - looking forward to seeing what Millar and Hitch have up their sleeves.
INCREDIBLE HERCULES #116 - fast becoming one of my favourite series.
MIGHTY AVENGERS #12 - I'm still unsure about SI, but I'm interested in Fury's story.
MS. MARVEL #26 - this book is probably counting down to cancellation, sadly, but I'll enjoy it to the end.
THOR #8 - delayed into April; I hope they've added a second fill-in arc after Djurdjevic to give Coipel more time (if he's even still on).
UNCANNY X-MEN #497 - ooh, mysterious solicit.
X-FORCE #3 - see above.
YOUNG AVENGERS PRESENTS #4 (of 6) - I love YA, and I enjoy Cornell's work (and the premise sounds fun).

Maybe:

AVENGERS FAIRY TALES #2 (of 4) - may trade-wait, or not buy at all.
IRON MAN: LEGACY OF DOOM #1 (of 4) (probably trade-wait on that, to go with the DoomQuest hardcover)
SECRET INVASION #1 (of 8) - will probably depend on advance reviews, and if Yu's art is better than the abortions he produced on NA.
THOR: AGES OF THUNDER - eh, could be fun.
X-MEN DIVIDED WE STAND BOOK 1 (of 2) (Qu'est que ce ca?)
X-MEN: LEGACY #210 - basically waiting post-MC to see what the lay of the land is.
X-FACTOR #30 - see above.
YOUNG X-MEN #1 - see above.

- I don't know what happened, because that Bachelo ASM cover doesn't look like complete melted clay ****. But, covers often have better art than interiors. As for Spider-Man & Wolverine teaming up again, hey, what do you want? They're Marvel's equalivent to Batman & Superman in terms of popularity. I'm amazed they don't have a buddy comic at this point.

MTU started out as their buddy comic. Anyway, Bachalo's art hasn't looked like "melted clay" since Morrison's X-Men. Give in to it. You know you like it.

- What is SPIDER-MAN: WITH GREAT POWER supposed to be?

I'll tell you what it's going to be. It's going to be the only Spider-Man book I'm buying in a good long while. Is it a needed retelling? Hell, no. But it sounds a lot better than the Mythos stories that Jenkins craps out. Oh, and it's got beautiful Tony Harris artwork.

Seriously, Busiek's AVENGERS style is most likely what Joe Q was thinking of when he thought, "Let's shake Avengers up a bit". Granted, his big idea was adding Spidey & Wolverine (and "New" to the title), Bendis did the rest. They have no sense of history or respect for characters over shocks & quick buck sales, and right now that is working for Marvel.

If it was just the addition of Wolverine and Spider-Man, it wouldn't have been so bad. It was Bendis' bad ideas and bad storytelling that killed the Avengers.

MTU started out as their buddy comic. Anyway, Bachalo's art hasn't looked like "melted clay" since Morrison's X-Men. Give in to it. You know you like it.

I haven't liked it since GENERATION X.

I'll tell you what it's going to be. It's going to be the only Spider-Man book I'm buying in a good long while. Is it a needed retelling? Hell, no. But it sounds a lot better than the Mythos stories that Jenkins craps out. Oh, and it's got beautiful Tony Harris artwork.

Yeah, I looked up the Marvel solict, it is essentially a retelling of his origin period. I bet Joe Q will look at whatever numbers this comic gets and goes, "See, look at all these people who like young, unmarried, living with May Spider-Man" and miss the point about people liking to see the character written properly regardless of the setting or peroid in his life. I'm partisan on getting it.

If it was just the addition of Wolverine and Spider-Man, it wouldn't have been so bad. It was Bendis' bad ideas and bad storytelling that killed the Avengers.

Wolverine never made sense beyond popularity. He slaughters thugs for fun sometimes, he isn't Avengers material, despite Iron Man's flimsy reasoning. Now, Spider-Man could have worked had Marvel been ready to make the next step and essentially have him become the equalivent to The Flash in terms of team placement and maybe even familiarity with some people in the city. Despite the quips, Spider-Man has more experience than half the New Avengers as assembled. They obviously weren't, and Bendis writes him like a useless man-child. Some of the tales in that GIANT SIZE AVENGERS special showed the potential that was missed with Spidey on the team. Oh well.

Wolverine never made sense beyond popularity. He slaughters thugs for fun sometimes, he isn't Avengers material, despite Iron Man's flimsy reasoning. Now, Spider-Man could have worked had Marvel been ready to make the next step and essentially have him become the equalivent to The Flash in terms of team placement and maybe even familiarity with some people in the city. Despite the quips, Spider-Man has more experience than half the New Avengers as assembled. They obviously weren't, and Bendis writes him like a useless man-child. Some of the tales in that GIANT SIZE AVENGERS special showed the potential that was missed with Spidey on the team. Oh well.

He hasn't killed anyone "for fun" in years, dude. He might not be Avengers material, but who is? If you look back through the various rosters you'll find that many of the Avengers who are considered classic weren't Avengers material when they initially joined. To me, that's as weak an argument as Tony's.

He hasn't killed anyone "for fun" in years, dude. He might not be Avengers material, but who is? If you look back through the various rosters you'll find that many of the Avengers who are considered classic weren't Avengers material when they initially joined. To me, that's as weak an argument as Tony's.

Yeah, but he kills criminals when the Avengers are not supposed to be doing that. He seems like the character you would want as a public hero the LEAST. I mean, then Stark turns around and criticizes Capt. America for working with the Punisher on his Secret Avengers. How is that any different? At least Steve booted Punisher when he shot some villains in front of him. Wolverine slices into ninjas and no one cares.

The Avengers have let in some former terrorists, thieves, Commie spies and whatnot, but Logan pushes it a bit. Why not Ghost Rider, too? :p

According to Iron Man, killing the occasional criminal is exactly what the Avengers are supposed to be doing. That's why he hired Wolverine, remember?

What do you mean when you say The Flash of the Avengers Dread?

Yeah, but he kills criminals when the Avengers are not supposed to be doing that. He seems like the character you would want as a public hero the LEAST. I mean, then Stark turns around and criticizes Capt. America for working with the Punisher on his Secret Avengers. How is that any different? At least Steve booted Punisher when he shot some villains in front of him. Wolverine slices into ninjas and no one cares.

There's a difference between what Logan does and what Frank does. Frank is flat out insane. Logan's just brutal.

The Avengers have let in some former terrorists, thieves, Commie spies and whatnot, but Logan pushes it a bit. Why not Ghost Rider, too? :p

I don't know? Why not GR?

Right, Iron Man's argument sucks, too.
Well, I could live with that given Iron Man's characterization for the last few years. It's a lot more odious that Cap allowed him to kill people without doing anything about it. Although, I guess that could've been his problems from Brubaker's opening arc seeping into New Avengers, in retrospect. He seemed to lose his respect for "bad" human life a bit.

Well, I could live with that given Iron Man's characterization for the last few years. It's a lot more odious that Cap allowed him to kill people without doing anything about it. Although, I guess that could've been his problems from Brubaker's opening arc seeping into New Avengers, in retrospect. He seemed to lose his respect for "bad" human life a bit.

He was getting a little grumpier, yeah. I wonder if he would've eventually become like Nick Fury.

I ways figured of the two (Cap and Tony) Iron Man would be more willing to kill. I'm having a flashback to a specific Avengers story where the characters took a vote.

Iron Man and Cap had a schism during the Kree/Shi'ar War where Iron Man and some other Avengers (including Hercules) decided to kill the Supreme Intelligence despite Cap's objections. Cap left the Avengers for a while after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cap2024
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"