Marvel December 2009 Solicitations

In fairness i think comic book creators are afraid to try new things because often times whenever they do they get criticized for it. When Spiderman's Brand New Day started, they introduced like a dozen or so new villains and the fans hated every single one of them and demanded to bring back the old ones. So i think writers just feel "safe" using already established characters and thats why they constantly try to find new "twists" on these characters.

Well...BRAND NEW DAY also had the stigma of telling a generation of fans that the marriage to MJ was stupid and anyone who liked it didn't know Spider-Man at all. Under that pretense, they were more riled up to hate on anything that came after, or at least be more critical of it.

With that, I will say that modern fans are often impatient. Many villains were not in their prime in their first or second or even their 12th appearance. Many needed to wait for a writer who evolved them beyond a premise. It was through sheer tenacity that many characters are where they are. Many newer characters end up killed outright during a run.

Readers suck. Sorry, can't find any other way to say it. We whine on and on about how writers repeat stories and repeat "eras" and accuse everyone but ourselves of being stuck in the past, but as far as recent years go? I can count on one hand the amount of times any new leading character whatsoever has been accepted by the readership without cries of "What? How dare they! This is silly. It's stupid. I don't care. Put it away."

That being said however, it doesn't help that, yes, some new ideas are in fact very silly and stupid. I know that. I just find myself wishing that people were more open-minded sometimes. Even if execution sucks, no one should ever begrudge new characters. Comic books are at a desperate need for new characters right now, and no one is helping the matter any.

Indeed. I think that was part of why Grant Morrison went "overboard" with mutants during his run. Beforehand many writers were hesitant to create new characters who weren't attachments of old ones. Because that makes the X-Men and mutants almost inbred.

Instead, we now have 200 mutants in America and X-23, a clone of Wolverine, as the ideal for bold new characters. Bold as in they should simply be details of older ones. You'll notice that many of the more unique New Mutants have faded into obscurity, never to be seen again.

There is too much nostalgia and not enough innovation in American comics. X-Man's return just represents another angle of that.

i recall at that time, it was the one book that actually seperated itself from being an x-title under its new direction. it was the one book that turned itself around and out of all the books that got canned, it was the one that deserved to live. cable should've been the book that got cancelled. casey destroyed that title. now that he's back, i hope he gets his own monthly again.

Sorry if this has been already posted, but check out what i found!

http://marvel.com/catalog/?id=13662

Origins of Siege #1
SIEGE is almost upon us! And this special giveaway issue contains everything readers will need to prepare themselves for the ultimate conflict to hit the Marvel Universe, six years in the making! Showcasing an ALL-NEW lead-in story featuring Loki, the God of Evil, ORIGINS OF SIEGE also contains an ALL-NEW origins section covering all of the major players in the battle, as drawn by the biggest artists at Marvel, as well as pinups and a checklist so you don’t miss a single important issue. All that and a preview of SIEGE #1!

Originally Posted by Gracen1

i recall at that time, it was the one book that actually seperated itself from being an x-title under its new direction. it was the one book that turned itself around and out of all the books that got canned, it was the one that deserved to live. cable should've been the book that got canceled. casey destroyed that title. now that he's back, i hope he gets his own monthly again.

See, Grant Morrison's X-men has a bit of a stigma with me. One the one hand i love how he progressed some characters like Cyclops and Emma Frost. On the other, i feel like he regressed Magneto. I always felt like Mags had evolved past the "big bad super villain", he was becoming more of a pacifist. Thats why im kinda glad marvel retconned the Xorn stuff...kinda. lol Other than that yeah Morrison's stuff certainly different from the other X-books and breathed new life into the series.

See, Grant Morrison's X-men has a bit of a stigma with me. One the one hand i love how he progressed some characters like Cyclops and Emma Frost. On the other, i feel like he regressed Magneto. I always felt like Mags had evolved past the "big bad super villain", he was becoming more of a pacifist. Thats why im kinda glad marvel retconned the Xorn stuff...kinda. lol Other than that yeah Morrison's stuff certainly different from the other X-books and breathed new life into the series.

Did you not get that it WASN'T Magneto, anyways?! He was on Kick, which in the very next story was revealed to be archvillain Sublime in bacteria form. As in, Magneto was working under Sublime's mind alteration; not control, but shifting his viewpoints just slightly to the right.

Besides, the whole thing was a metaphor for exactly what you're talking about. That regression is bad. Morrison does what every writer does, have Magneto return, BWAHAHA! ...And nobody cares. New characters against him like Fantomex are just annoyed and the new characters on Magneto's side want to get out of it as quickly as they can and go back to their own stories. As Xavier tells him, it's time for both Xavier and Magneto to step aside and let the new kids do things the new way. As I said up there, Magneto was possessed by Sublime, who is the biggest metaphor for them all. He is the enemy of evolution, devoted to stopping its continuation. So the X-Men's biggest enemy and the reason Magneto came back YET again... is literally resistance to change. Genius.

If I have one complain about Morrison's era, it's what follows afterwards makes people not see the point. What was meant to be an essay, and more importantly, an end of the "Magneto comes back!" stories becomes just another "Magneto comes back!" story, ironically. Not only does it dilute the point of his era, it lumps changes his stories into exactly what he was writing against.

Last edited:
Grant morrison run on X-men is without a dought one of the most thought provoking and best runs on any comic book. He put so many ideas into it, and he topped it off with "Here comes tommorrow" it ws all genuis stuff.

While parts of it severelly ticked me off, I'll agree that it was an amazing run for the X-Men. I wish the art was up to snuff most the time though. Kordey's stuff was just bad during that run. Marvel was rushing him too much.

While parts of it severelly ticked me off, I'll agree that it was an amazing run for the X-Men. I wish the art was up to snuff most the time though. Kordey's stuff was just bad during that run. Marvel was rushing him too much.

Oh, God, the art... Anything Quietly, Jimenez or Silvestri was great, probably a couple other not-bads, but so much of it was just... blah. Still think it's my favorite run of X-Men of all time, even if the art makes my eyes bleed.

Sorry if this has been already posted, but check out what i found!

http://marvel.com/catalog/?id=13662

Origins of Siege #1
SIEGE is almost upon us! And this special giveaway issue contains everything readers will need to prepare themselves for the ultimate conflict to hit the Marvel Universe, six years in the making! Showcasing an ALL-NEW lead-in story featuring Loki, the God of Evil, ORIGINS OF SIEGE also contains an ALL-NEW origins section covering all of the major players in the battle, as drawn by the biggest artists at Marvel, as well as pinups and a checklist so you don’t miss a single important issue. All that and a preview of SIEGE #1!

I'm sold, anything with loki in the lead is a win, loved acts of vengence.

Last edited:
Yeah, Acts of Vengeance was awesome. They should really collect it. I'd love to read it all in one sitting. I've only ever managed to get bits and pieces of it in back issues.

I would too, I liked the captian universe thing in spider-man too (but only knowing it was temporary) it was fun watching Pete accidently beat the piss out of everyone.

It still seems so random that the New Warriors first appeared in Thor's comic for that event.

Yeah they really churned the waters with that whole event. Magneto even beat down the red skull.

That's one of the issues I never managed to get, unfortunately. :argh:

That was a f'in awesome fight. I loved the little Heil Hitler salute he gave Magneto before trying to lose him.

Yeah seeing everyone fight someone different and such that really was pretty damn cool.

I love the logic behind it.

"**** it, this **** ain't working. Okay guys, grab a partner and switch."

Yeah, it made perfect sense and hadn't really been done on that scale before. A fun, original event. :up:

I feel sorry for the guys who got Spidey.

"Well, that shouldn't be too bad."

[/Cosmic Spidey.]

Magneto got him, if I recall correctly. And then Spider-Man kicked his ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"