Marvel November Solicitations

While I agree about the return of the 90's month that it seems to be, I welcome back Nate, as I was an avid follower of his book X-Man that lasted longer than most spin off books like his...especially considering his was running along side Cable for the longest time, which is funny since they are the same character basically.

I don't think that's a dating thing; McKeever mentioned in an interview that a major part of the series is Rikki encountering an AU (or, I guess, MU) version of her brother.

Oh, I see. Interesting and awkward, I guess.

Maybe she can date Gravity. :p

While I agree about the return of the 90's month that it seems to be, I welcome back Nate, as I was an avid follower of his book X-Man that lasted longer than most spin off books like his...especially considering his was running along side Cable for the longest time, which is funny since they are the same character basically.

You do have a point; X-MAN lasted 75 issues from 1995-2001. To be fair, there are many characters who haven't lasted over six years in their own ongoing. Cable & Deadpool together only lasted 50 issues recently. That said, 1995 was quite different than 2009. Even 1999 was quite different. Even during Marvel's bankruptcy, anything with an X on it sold well. Now? Not so much. Or at least as easily. You could say that after a 75 issue series run over six years that had a definitive ending for the character, he has more than run his course. Why do American comics believe every story for every character has to be indefinite? No story is. Not even the story of our own lives.

What is the point of X-Man? In 1995, it made sense to have SOME refugee from AGE OF APOCALYPSE have an ongoing and have adventures in 616 who wasn't a villain like Sugar Man, Dark Beast, or Holocaust. This was before EXILES, too. He ran his course after an admittedly long run but obviously Marvel thought best to let sleeping glow-eye's lay for about 8 years. He's a hanger on character; even his name is generic. In 2001, even, the X alone was enough to sell a book at $2.25 - $2.50 an issue. Is it enough in 2009 at $4 a pop? Besides, he's literally an alternate version of Cable, himself a refugee from an alternate, deposed time-line. He was the poster child for complicated, impossible to understand origins; I think I understand Immortus more than him (Immortus is the future version of Kang and Rama Tut, and they all can co exist and fight each other, and I defy anyone to tell me how that makes sense). X-Man's premise was being an impossibly powerful telepath in a world he didn't know, destined to die young. Over 6 years, he did that. His story's done. Anything else is just undoing #75 in 2001 and just trying to suck blood from a stone.

I for one am getting tired of the "blood from a stone" strategy. Marvel wants to suck $4 out of any fringe fan, no matter how pointless or aimless or perfectly completed franchise they like. If Marvel thought they could get $4.99 out of a THUNDER-RIDERS one-shot from 15,000 people, I'm sure they'd go for it. And that's just a sign of a lack of ideas. What worked in 1999 won't work in 2009. There has to be more to selling comics at the near end of the first decade of the 21st century than just rehashing crap from 10, 20, 40 years ago exactly as it was over and over and over until we all die. And if there isn't...just be like ARCHIE and admit that outright, with no illusions of change.

We need more ideas like AGENTS OF ATLAS or RUNAWAYS in it's prime or whatnot. We don't need DEATHLOK volume 4. Not if it offers nothing new from volume 1 or volume 3.

Nate Grey gave his life to save the Earth from some adversary. Nice, noble death. What's the point of undoing that? If not even a past his prime, ran his course C-Lister like X-Man can stay dead, or have a storyline matter, why should I even bother with a big two comic? That's the question that I rarely see an answer to.

A running joke is that every time the Marvel Handbooks would run a BOOK OF THE DEAD edition, within 5-10 years everyone or at least 90% of everyone in it was back. Marvel ran one of those in 2004 or 2005 and right now it seems that will once again be true. There truly are no new characters to be made, or no living characters who can be rehashed, in some bold NEW way (not, "let's tell DEATHLOK stories from 1998, only in 2009 with digital art!")? C'mon, that can't be true. Can it?

Last edited:
Rejuvenating a character involves doing something different with them, not doing the same thing that was done 12-15 years ago. In the 90's, Marvel's angle for Eddie Brock was to make him a "lethal protector" - i.e. an anti-hero, who was all the rage in the 90's. It worked for a few years; albeit never enough to launch a Venom ongoing, but a string of annual mini's. It ran it's course by the end of the 90's and ended. Brock as a character has not been better for it. Now, ironically, I was a fan of Venom but I actually grew up and realized it wasn't handled well, and Venom's characterization was all over the place.

Now? Marvel is doing the same thing, just gave Venom a color swap and named him "Anti-Venom".

Nova, more to the point, did not represent a 90's editorial cluster**** of fear and loathing of a married Spider-Man, like Reilly did. He did not represent telling fans that the Spidey they loved for a generation was a worthless clone, and could they please stop whining and accept the new guy. If Brubaker displayed the prime example of how to do a "passing of the mask" story excellently in CAPTAIN AMERICA, then CLONE SAGA showed how to fail at it on every possible level.

Before ANNIHILATION, it had been some 5 years since Nova starred in a mini or ongoing attempt. By the time his ongoing came out afterward, it had been over 25 years since his original 70's run ended. He had had time to rest. More to the point, what was done with him was more unique than what had been done with him. By and large, most of Nova's stories took place on Earth, with him serving as a young hero with potential. The relaunch took him from Earth and finally had him step up. He also had not been destroyed or destroyed something else via historically bad editorial decisions.

More to the point, Joe Q uses Reilly fans as an excuse to justify any decision he has, because he goes, "Look, once upon the time, everyone hated the Clone Saga, and now fans come out of the woodwork and want it back! Therefore, anything someone may be critical of me for doing now will be popular years down the road, all criticism of my decisions is for naught and nothing I do is a misfire". And his logic isn't completely without reason. And that's the tragedy of it. You have to stop the cycle. If you want Joe Q to learn the impression that he is not King Midas who turns everything to gold, then you have to let go of some things. The "theory" of what Ben Reilly "coulda/shoulda" been is far superior to anything the character was or did in reality, and better than anything that can or could be done to him in the future. Let him go. Mindless nostalgia alone is not a strategy.

Much as, to be frank, if the Ultimate line's relaunch does well, Marvel will believe that ULTIMATUM was a successful story.

My overall point is that the comic book industry desperately needs new ideas, new strategies, and more innovation. Rehashing concepts that were running dry before Bill Clinton's second term is not the answer.

I see your point - with some of these characters, particularly Eddie Brock, Marvel is just revisiting what they've already done. Which is one of the biggest flaws that is pointed out by detractors OMD/BND; by erasing the marriage and undoing the social and work achievements of Peter's life, the franchise has been thrown back twenty years. Brock is a victim of that. If he isn't Venom, he should be out of the picture, and by putting him in white and making him a supposed do-gooder, I agree with you that they're playing with a repetitive formula.

However, I don't think you can say that with some of the other characters you singled out. Psylocke's mini is different to what we've seen with her before. It seems focused on tying up loose ends from the Matsu'o storyline, revisiting it but not repeating it in any way. As for X-Man, it looks like he's going to be in a completely different situation than he was when he was at his popularity peak in the 90s. I know these things can't be properly judged until the titles are actually out on the stands, but it still seems like you're tarring every character return with the same bad brush.

Hiro-Kala, the character that's starring in the series now that Skaar's moving to Incredible Hulk. Also, it's just called Son of Hulk now.

Goggle my friend has no pics of the guy that is why I ask with hope.

No clue. He claimed he was and killed a guy for saying otherwise, but who knows? As far as I know, Skaar is the Hulk and Caiera's actual son. Hiro-Kala is just a crazy Shadow Priest.

Did they seriously just put "for reelz" in a solicit? Serially, guyz?

DARK AVENGERS #11
Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
Pencils & Cover by MIKE DEODATO
The explosive smash hit series from Brian Bendis and Mike Deodato continues!! The Dark Avengers are pitted against a foe they cannot defeat: A man with the power over every molecule in the world! Norman can't talk his way out of this one as the world gets turned upside down and no joke...someone dies. For reelz!!
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Only comic I'm stoked for is Ultimate Avengers.

I see your point - with some of these characters, particularly Eddie Brock, Marvel is just revisiting what they've already done. Which is one of the biggest flaws that is pointed out by detractors OMD/BND; by erasing the marriage and undoing the social and work achievements of Peter's life, the franchise has been thrown back twenty years. Brock is a victim of that. If he isn't Venom, he should be out of the picture, and by putting him in white and making him a supposed do-gooder, I agree with you that they're playing with a repetitive formula.

However, I don't think you can say that with some of the other characters you singled out. Psylocke's mini is different to what we've seen with her before. It seems focused on tying up loose ends from the Matsu'o storyline, revisiting it but not repeating it in any way. As for X-Man, it looks like he's going to be in a completely different situation than he was when he was at his popularity peak in the 90s. I know these things can't be properly judged until the titles are actually out on the stands, but it still seems like you're tarring every character return with the same bad brush.

There has to be a reason to churn out a Psylocke mini series years past her prime for something other than clearing up her cluttered back-story. That's a task for the Handbook staff. To be fair, I don't dislike Psylocke as much as some of the others, although I was never keen on the whole body swap thing. It seemed like a desperate move to get another ethnic member of the team without, y'know, actually creating one.

There seems to be a theory in comics that everything old is new again, and to just repeat everything. I'd argue DC is worse about this than Marvel, but Marvel does it too.

X-Man's story was done. I don't see a reason to rehash him beyond a lack of ideas and the utter failure to create any genuinely new characters that are popular, so ones that USED to be, even for a fleeting moment in 1995, are back at some point. The task of making characters who stick, the next RUNAWAYS as they were, is very difficult. But just thumbing through the back issues of 90's or 80's comics for characters or concepts isn't enough.

Did they seriously just put "for reelz" in a solicit? Serially, guyz?

Seriously. Nothing's cooler than middle aged guys trying to be hip by repeating internet slang, eh?

Eh, i dont know about you guys but i starting to care less and less about Dark Reign, it was real cool in the beginning but i feel like its starting to drag a little. I'm actually more interested in Ultimate Marvel than 616 marvel....is something wrong with me? lol

I bailed on the sinking Ultimate ship at least a year ago. Dark Reign is kind of like ACTS OF VENGEANCE. More of an ongoing theme than an event so far. Come to think of it, Civil War borrowed bits from ACTS OF VENGEANCE too. But, Marvel assumes anything that happened before the year 2000 doesn't exist. And away we go! :D

You should give Ultimate Avengers a try Dread, i was pleasantly surprised with the first issue, its short but sweet, the new Ultimate Spiderman wasnt bad either. If marvel gets their act together, the Ultimate universe could have a second life I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davutha
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"