Marvel One-Shots

I'm just glad the quality keeps going up with each One-Shot.
The first two were cute but weren't much to get excited about.
Item 47 was well made, although on par with Agents of SHIELD, btw how the hell have those characters not been involved with the show?!
Then the Agent Carter one was absolutely fantastic and the upcoming one promises to be just as good, what it lacks in action it might make up in easter eggs.

Agreed, and I'm excited to see Drew Pearce direct it. He really seems to have an energetic enthusiasm about being part of the MCU and that's always nice to see, especially when they're actually talented.

Can I just say that, feelings about Trevor Slattery aside, Kingsley NAILED his performance in IM3. That, for me was part of the charm of the character, watching Ben just go from menacing to batty. I loved watching him, and I'm really glad they focused a one-shot on him.

Also LOVED that Kingsley was game to reprise the role. I know he was controversial, but I really dug the misdirection aspect of it. I thought it clever.

I don't think that Kingsley's actual performance was controversial, most people seemed to really like that. It was how his character was written that was controversial.

I don't think that Kingsley's actual performance was controversial, most people seemed to really like that. It was how his character was written that was controversial.

Yeah, I gotcha. I did love the writing for the character myself; thought it was really a subversive way to handle a character who could've come off as a really bad stereotype.

Agreed, and I'm excited to see Drew Pearce direct it. He really seems to have an energetic enthusiasm about being part of the MCU and that's always nice to see, especially when they're actually talented.

Let's just pray that the eventual One-Shot included with The Winter Soldier will focus on Sif and/or the Warrior Three and not Darcy and friends.

Marvel easter egg character in that clip.

Jack Norriss is the videographer of the One-Shot bio of Trevor, and he's an actual minor Marvel comics character.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Jackson_Norriss_(Earth-616)

Norriss has dabbled with superheroes before, "mascoting" for The Defenders and becoming a SHIELD agent, actively involved with the investigation of Nomad, a character who assumed Bucky Barnes' identity in the 1950s alongside the fake Captain America (later revealed to be the homegrown terrorist, The Grand Director).

Dunno if there's plans to develop Norriss further than this, but he's got interesting ties to the stories of Cap, Bucky and Valkyrie in the comics.
:up: Good catch. I got so used to AoS not using minor Marvel character names, that I didn't expect to see one there.

But the problem is that that doesn't jive with the first film at all. SHIELD was very interested in learning about the Ten Rings organization. That's why they had Coulson constantly try to debrief Tony after he got back. And for a significant chunk of this movie, everyone thought that The Mandarin was the LEADER of the Ten Rings, so it's a contradiction. Then again, Shane Black didn't seem to really care if he contradicted things from the first two films anyway, so it's not surprising.

They weren't trying to debrief Stark because they wanted to know about the Ten Rings. They wanted to debrief Stark because he got kidnapped by some terrorist group, and then seemingly escaped on his own. Either he got free on his own, in which case they want to know how ( because it probably involved either superscience or superpowers ), or he was *let* loose, in which case they need to know that the guy behind the best weapons tech in the world was compromised.

Definitely, Kingsley performance was superb, but the way the character was written brought up some issues.

Definitely, Kingsley performance was superb, but the way the character was written brought up some issues.
I was under the impression that it was neither. It was the evil trailers that lied that were the issue, if I understood correctly

Its an absurd complaint, though. Trailers have to show the villain of the piece, pretty much, and that means they have to show the fake villain, if there's a deception going on.

If the trailers had less emphasis on the "Mandarin", you'd almost certainly see the same people complaining about the same things. You'd just get less "the trailers lied!" rationalization.

They weren't trying to debrief Stark because they wanted to know about the Ten Rings. They wanted to debrief Stark because he got kidnapped by some terrorist group, and then seemingly escaped on his own. Either he got free on his own, in which case they want to know how ( because it probably involved either superscience or superpowers ), or he was *let* loose, in which case they need to know that the guy behind the best weapons tech in the world was compromised.

Bingo.
There's a typical misconception of SHIELD as just the CIA, as just an American intelligence agency. But they were never that. They are a multinational agency tasked specifically with finding, monitoring, registering, controlling, understanding, and utilizing superhumans and artifacts. Their liaison with Tony Stark wasn't based on Ten Rings at all; it was based on Tony himself, who had somehow become a superhero after building a battlesuit in Afghanistan.

This is also the reason that SHIELD didn't feature in IM3 at all --- because they simply weren't interested in this Mandarin....any version of him: Killian, Slattery, or whatever "real" Mandarin people choose to fantasize about. That's because, by all accounts, Mandarin was an "ordinary" terrorist carrying out ordinary terrorist attacks around the world. That was the bailiwick of the CIA and whatever other standard real-world intelligence agencies, who *were* tracking and fighting him. But there was no indication that AIM, Ten Rings, or Mandarin were utilizing superpowers at all: it was only Tony who discovered that, and conveniently took care of the Extremis problem himself.

TLDR: SHIELD don't care 'bout no Ten Rings. That ain't their ball of wax.

Bingo.
There's a typical misconception of SHIELD as just the CIA, as just an American intelligence agency. But they were never that. They are a multinational agency tasked specifically with finding, monitoring, registering, controlling, understanding, and utilizing superhumans and artifacts. Their liaison with Tony Stark wasn't based on Ten Rings at all; it was based on Tony himself, who had somehow become a superhero after building a battlesuit in Afghanistan.
I honestly thought they made that pretty clear
Coulson said:
We're a separate division with a more specific focus. We need to debrief Mr. Stark about the circumstances of his escape.

Bingo.

This is also the reason that SHIELD didn't feature in IM3 at all --- because they simply weren't interested in this Mandarin....any version of him: Killian, Slattery, or whatever "real" Mandarin people choose to fantasize about. That's because, by all accounts, Mandarin was an "ordinary" terrorist carrying out ordinary terrorist attacks around the world. That was the bailiwick of the CIA and whatever other standard real-world intelligence agencies, who *were* tracking and fighting him. But there was no indication that AIM, Ten Rings, or Mandarin were utilizing superpowers at all: it was only Tony who discovered that, and conveniently took care of the Extremis problem himself.

TLDR: SHIELD don't care 'bout no Ten Rings. That ain't their ball of wax.

With one proviso: I bet SHIELD started looking at the Ten Rings more closely right afterwards, because of evidence they were getting Stark Industries weaponry. That's a potential leak of dangerous technology. Once Stane was exposed and Tony largely killed the Ten Rings and blew up their Starktech stockpiles, though? Back to the "just another terrorist group, not our concern" category.

With one proviso: I bet SHIELD started looking at the Ten Rings more closely right afterwards, because of evidence they were getting Stark Industries weaponry. That's a potential leak of dangerous technology. Once Stane was exposed and Tony largely killed the Ten Rings and blew up their Starktech stockpiles, though? Back to the "just another terrorist group, not our concern" category.

Yeah, according to one of the Iron Man movie comics, which Feige says are movie canon, Tony spent the interim of IM1 and IM2 finishing off what was left of Ten Rings. SHIELD wasn't involved in that, though.

I just looked at the IMDB page for "All Hail the King" (which I know is not guaranteed to be accurate), and it lists Fletcher Heggs as a character. I didn't know who that was, but I looked him and found that he is a z-list Iron Man villain: the Knight.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Fletcher_Heggs_(Earth-616)

I'm not a fan of revealing that there is a third, "real" Mandarin lurking around somewhere in MCU either, even as someone who has issues with the whole Mandarin twist in IM3. Which I don't think will be the case here.

Top 10 character centric one-shots I would like to see
10.Hawkeye
9.Black Widow
8.War Machine
7.Howling Commandos
6.Maria Hill
5.Agent Clay Quartermain
4.Sif
3.Warriors Three
2.Heimdell
1.Loki

I wonder what will be the one-shot to go along with The Winter Soldier? Something all-new or another Agent Carter episode?

Top 10 character centric one-shots I would like to see
10.Hawkeye
9.Black Widow
8.War Machine
7.Howling Commandos
6.Maria Hill
5.Agent Clay Quartermain
4.Sif
3.Warriors Three
2.Heimdell
1.Loki

Great list. I like that your top 4 suggestions are all Asgard-related! :yay:

I'd probably change a few things up for me, though. I'd put Hawkeye higher up, and maybe combine his one-shot with Black Widow (though not necessarily). I'd take Maria Hill and Quartermain off the list and give them episodes on AOS. I'd also move the Warriors Three and Sif ahead of Heimdall and Loki.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"