• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Agent Carter Marvel Readying 'Agent Carter' Series!

I think you misunderstand me. I am comparing the show to itself, ie: future seasons. Normally, when you compare the 1st season of a show to that same show's 2nd or 3rd season and so on, normally it is one of the weakest. Obviously, there are exceptions. But, this is very often true. 1st season requires more trial and error. Takes a while to hit a groove.
It is less about trial and error, and more to do with being able to do your own thing. If a show is successful, it usually means more rope for the creative.

Also, AoS is going to have to improve leaps and bounds upon itself it be a show of merit. It isn't exactly Justified, Breaking Bad, GoT, Parks and Rec, Community, The Middle, Mad Men, etc.. Shows that all had excellent first seasons, and then just takes off from there.

It is less about trial and error, and more to do with being able to do your own thing. If a show is successful, it usually means more rope for the creative.

Also, AoS is going to have to improve leaps and bounds upon itself it be a show of merit. It isn't exactly Justified, Breaking Bad, GoT, Parks and Rec, Community, The Middle, Mad Men, etc.. Shows that all had excellent first seasons, and then just takes off from there.

No, and that is true. Not saying that shows don't have good 1st seasons. I am just saying that potential doesn't always peak in the 1st season. The 1st season has been somewhat shaky, but I do see recent improvement. Hopefully that trend continues. Like everyone else, I want this to become a great show. I'm just saying that if it isn't much better by seasons end or takes the downward spiral Heroes did in season 2, then it isn't panic time quite yet. The show can still turn around.

For the record, I don't hate the show. But, I do think it is the weakest thing Marvel Studios has given us within the MCU. Easily the weakest.

I'd have to argue the first season of Parks and Rec was FAR from "excellent." Even the cast/crew acknowledge this.

IMO, there's no blanket statement to be made either way - for some excellent shows, their first season was amazing (BSG, Arrested Development, Damages, The West Wing, Mad Men etc). For other excellent shows the 1st season was among the weakest but still great (Breaking Bad, Deadwood), and then there are the other cases in which the show started off as nothing all that special but eventually became great (Buffy, Angel, Fringe, The Office, Parks & Rec, etc). There's no singular path that a show can take to find its excellence. It will either become great at some point, or it won't.

AoS has been steadily improving over the course of its 1st season, imo, so there's plenty of potential still there as far as I'm concerned.

No, and that is true. Not saying that shows don't have good 1st seasons. I am just saying that potential doesn't always peak in the 1st season. The 1st season has been somewhat shaky, but I do see recent improvement. Hopefully that trend continues. Like everyone else, I want this to become a great show. I'm just saying that if it isn't much better by seasons end or takes the downward spiral Heroes did in season 2, then it isn't panic time quite yet. The show can still turn around.

For the record, I don't hate the show. But, I do think it is the weakest thing Marvel Studios has given us within the MCU. Easily the weakest.
All shows are different, but yeah there is a real trend for shows to improve as the progress. The problem for me is that AoS would have to improve a huge amount for it to really be something. So even if it follows the trend of improving, it needs to improve leaps and bounds to achieve quality show status imo.

I also agree that it is by far the weakest production they have brought to life. I except much more from Agent Carter and the Netflix series.

I'd have to argue the first season of Parks and Rec was FAR from "excellent." Even the cast/crew acknowledge this.

IMO, there's no blanket statement to be made either way - for some excellent shows, their first season was amazing (BSG, Arrested Development, Damages, The West Wing, Mad Men etc). For other excellent shows the 1st season was among the weakest but still great (Breaking Bad, Deadwood), and then there are the other cases in which the show started off as nothing all that special but eventually became great (Buffy, Angel, Fringe, The Office, Parks & Rec, etc). There's no singular path that a show can take to find its excellence. It will either become great at some point, or it won't.

AoS has been steadily improving over the course of its 1st season, imo, so there's plenty of potential still there as far as I'm concerned.
I adore the first seasons of The Office and Parks & Rec. They are bursting with potential that the second seasons really took and ran with. But each first season, while bit experimental, both serve as excellent introductions to the characters and the world. They are incredibly intriguing.

I mostly agree, but I would say Agents of SHIELD's best episode for me prior to the last 2 was probably the one with Franklin Hall (which was fairly early). But, I think the show has been much better since coming back from its break. Hopefully the back 9 continue the trend.

All shows are different, but yeah there is a real trend for shows to improve as the progress. The problem for me is that AoS would have to improve a huge amount for it to really be something. So even if it follows the trend of improving, it needs to improve leaps and bounds to achieve quality show status imo.

I also agree that it is by far the weakest production they have brought to life. I except much more from Agent Carter and the Netflix series.

I expect Agent Carter and the Netflix shows also to be much better. But, we also have to remember that this was Marvel's first experiment into a live action show. Agent Carter and the Netflix shows will have not only the experience of their creative teams, but the flaws of Agents of SHIELD's early struggles to take from.

I mostly agree, but I would say Agents of SHIELD's best episode for me prior to the last 2 was probably the one with Franklin Hall (which was fairly early). But, I think the show has been much better since coming back from its break. Hopefully the back 9 continue the trend.

I expect Agent Carter and the Netflix shows also to be much better. But, we also have to remember that this was Marvel's first experiment into a live action show. Agent Carter and the Netflix shows will have not only the experience of their creative teams, but the flaws of Agents of SHIELD's early struggles to take from.

I've quoted this so i can read it in the quoted version cos the red skull gif flashing on the left is putting me off! :)

EDIT: but now the bit it's in response to is missing so i give up hahahaha

I just think the idea behind the other shows seems much more promising. I expect the shows to be structured far close cable/netflix shows. 10-13 episode orders, allowing for tighter narratives, less fluff and more quality.

I adore the first seasons of The Office and Parks & Rec. They are bursting with potential that the second seasons really took and ran with. But each first season, while bit experimental, both serve as excellent introductions to the characters and the world. They are incredibly intriguing.
All I can say is I strongly disagree there. I didn't find the first seasons to be experimental at all - they were both blatantly trying to carbon copy the success of something that came before (The Office trying to replicate the UK version, Parks & Rec trying to replicate The Office), and failed at that. It wasn't 'til season 2 of each that they found their own identities, imo. But I do agree that once I was already in love with those shows, I was able to find certain things to love in the 1st seasons, but only because I was already attached to those characters. Same with Buffy and Angel. But those 1st seasons on their own weren't enough to hook me at all. 30 Rock is another case of this, imo.

All I can say is I strongly disagree there. I didn't find the first seasons to be experimental at all - they were both blatantly trying to carbon copy the success of something that came before (The Office trying to replicate the UK version, Parks & Rec trying to replicate The Office), and failed at that. It wasn't 'til season 2 of each that they found their own identities, imo. But I do agree that once I was already in love with those shows, I was able to find certain things to love in the 1st seasons, but only because I was already attached to those characters. Same with Buffy and Angel. But those 1st seasons on their own weren't enough to hook me at all. 30 Rock is another case of this, imo.
When I say experimental, I meant with the characters. Remember how Michael became much more lovable on the Office? Same happened with Packs and Rec. Once the characters were more locked in, they really took off, but they all worked.

All Michael Scott wanted was to be loved. His heart was in the right place, but his head wasn't at times. When he finally got the love (as we saw in the Office finale as evidenced by Pam saying that he had so many photos of his kids, he needed two cell phones, which I don't think Mike is upset at all in payment of bills) he did not take over the spotlight in the finale. His return was fantastic.

Damn....still not used to seeing a TV lineup without The Office or 30 Rock.

When I say experimental, I meant with the characters. Remember how Michael became much more lovable on the Office? Same happened with Packs and Rec. Once the characters were more locked in, they really took off, but they all worked.
I think "poorly defined" would be a better term, tbh. You're right, they hadn't found the characters yet, and it showed. I guess the difference between us is that I don't think the shows worked until they did.

For some reason out of all the TV projects I am most excited about this one, even more than the Daredevil one! Marvel really sold me on the one-shot, even if the show isn't like that Im still excited.

All Michael Scott wanted was to be loved. His heart was in the right place, but his head wasn't at times. When he finally got the love (as we saw in the Office finale as evidenced by Pam saying that he had so many photos of his kids, he needed two cell phones, which I don't think Mike is upset at all in payment of bills) he did not take over the spotlight in the finale. His return was fantastic.

Damn....still not used to seeing a TV lineup without The Office or 30 Rock.
Oh my 30 Rock ended?! I didn't know that, far out of the TV loop...

Finally saw the Agent Carter one shot. Was pretty good. It feels like it should be the first act of the pilot for the TV show though. Will they recap on it for those who haven't seen it? Would be great if they kept the same production values.

So will agent carter's rival be the Soviet Black Widow of the late 40s-50s? Hmm... We must also get to see the Blonde phantom.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Writers Offer An Update On ABC’s AGENT CARTER Series

Highlights:

1) The first season will be set in 1946. So this is more cold war Peggy than World War II Peggy.

2) Haley Atwell is involved and ready to jump into television. This is great news, as she’s arguably the best part of The First Avenger outside of Steve Rogers himself, and her one shot is fantastic.

3) Markus and McFeely wrote the pilot script in addition to having Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters of Reaper fame show run if the project goes to series. This means the voice of the character will remain consistent across the medium jump.

4) The team is currently planning for a season that runs as a limited series event of 13 episodes that would continue with a brand new story set in 1947 and so on should it continue. Limited series events are all the rage right now, so that’s absolutely the best way to approach a show this ambitious.

5) Howard Stark would be a recurring character and Dominic Cooper is interested in coming back. The goal is to keep the show “the Peggy Carter show” and not make it a buddy-drama, thus explaining why Stark wouldn’t be a series regular.

I wonder if there is anyway we could have young Fury, and maybe even if there is zero chance of it young Hank Pym!

I'd like to see the origins of the Black Widow program as well, or maybe the origins of the Winter Soldier. Also, ZODIAC and HYDRA of course. Cold War Peggy Carter, I like the sound of that.

Why do we need this when we already have Agents of Shield?

If this show ends up being in the same tone as her Marvel short then I'll likely love this. A lot of potential for the show with many great possibilities to cover.

If this show ends up being in the same tone as her Marvel short then I'll likely love this. A lot of potential for the show with many great possibilities to cover.

Well it better not just be in the same tone. The cinematography ought to also be similar. The One Shot looked more cinematic than Agents of SHIELD. I want Agent Carter to look that way too, and not like something made for TV. The One Shot looked like part of CA: TFA.

Wasn't to sure if I'd be on board with an Agent Cart series until I saw the Marvel short. Some real potential there.

It could show the origins of Shield and it's supporting cast. Each season could be set in a different decade. 40's to the 00's. 60's/70's Nick Fury origins, 80/90's Maria Hill.....etc

I could actually see it working in parallel with the Agents of Shield show. See how past events shaped the modern day SHIELD.

I realllly hope they're in it. I'll get over it soon enough if not but I'd love all of them minus Bucky to be series regulars.

Agreed. I was going to add that on my original post.

The first season could dedicate an arc to the Howling commandos side missions, led by Timothy "Dum Dum" Dugan.
They would be post Bucky's "death". And they can easily explain Captain America's absence. Off on a solo mission or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"