Marvel should make a "Runaways" Movie.

DarkSuperman

Sidekick
Reaction score
Marvel should make a "Runaways" Movie. Pronto. I mean, with the general public going super hero crazy right now its the perfect time. the story is great! The children of a fraternity of Super Villains runaway and unite to stop their parents from destroying the world. Incredible. They should turn this into a movie and have Joss Whedon write and direct it. He's really the only choice, someone else would only screw it up by making the childrens parents assassins or something stupid like that and I'd rather not have Runaways go the way of "Wanted" .

I think it might work better as a tv series since they'll always be on the run but i suppose a movie would be cool too.

I think it might work better as a tv series since they'll always be on the run but i suppose a movie would be cool too.

I think a movie might work better only because you can have definite endings whereas with a television series they might fall into the freak of the week sort of thing. Although, if the right person was in charge of the series it might work out. Again, I say Joss Whedon could make it work.

The main thing that would worry me is whether or not they'd try to downplay the comic book world they live in. Half the fun of the runaways is the children's outlook of Super Villains and Heroes. They regularly talk about and make fun of "Super People" If at all possible I'd like them to continue to have conversations about Spider-Man and the X-Men. to date, no marvel movie has even hinted at any interconnectivity to show that the world these heroes inhabit consist of more than just the "protagonist" of the movie.

A news clipping with Spider-Man on it would suffice. Something.

I love it.

I mean, who on this board hasn't thought the worst of his/her parents at one time or another?

to date, no marvel movie has even hinted at any interconnectivity to show that the world these heroes inhabit consist of more than just the "protagonist" of the movie.

Hoffman: What about Dr Strange?
JJJ: That's good, but it's taken.

Spiderman 2.......not much but it is a hint.

I love it.

I mean, who on this board hasn't thought the worst of his/her parents at one time or another?

I think a "Runaways" movie would be a really big hit. The characters are fun and people can relate to them. It would be like "Stand by Me" with super powers!

A tv series would be better. In fact it would be the perfect tv series for Marvel to show off the interconnectivity of their universe. You'd have the X-men at one point, The Avengers at another, The Fantastic Four, etc. This is whenever they get the rights back of course. So far all they have are The Avengers to work with.

And really, if you read the comic then you know it's pretty much guilty of the freak of the week syndrom already. This comic is a tv program just waiting to be made. One single movie or even a movie series isn't enough. I can honestly see this becoming a tv series on Noggin or Nickleodeon. It's been a long time since they had a good live action program anyway...Although I'm sure that this show would work great if animated as well.

A tv series would be better. In fact it would be the perfect tv series for Marvel to show off the interconnectivity of their universe. You'd have the X-men at one point, The Avengers at another, The Fantastic Four, etc. This is whenever they get the rights back of course. So far all they have are The Avengers to work with.

And really, if you read the comic then you know it's pretty much guilty of the freak of the week syndrom already. This comic is a tv program just waiting to be made. One single movie or even a movie series isn't enough. I can honestly see this becoming a tv series on Noggin or Nickleodeon. It's been a long time since they had a good live action program anyway...Although I'm sure that this show would work great if animated as well.

True on the Freak of the Week thing, but Noggin? Nickleodeon? Absolutely not...I'm pretty sure Runaways has a fair amount of sex and romance and I'd rather not see those mature aspects of the book relegated to an 7th grade level of maturity. We don't need to see a low budget Animorphs type show.

If they'd make it into a tv show it needs to be top notch all the way with with themes for adults not children. Not to mention an animated show would just destroy the serious tone of the book. These characters have Real emotion. they struggle with things like survivors guilt and accepting their homo-sexuality. A cartoon or nickleodeon show would totally destroy the Runaways.

Runaways would be cool; but marvel has a lot on it's plate right now; I dunno if a Runaways movie is in the cards.

Yah, they seemed pretty much solidly booked for the next 10 or so years!

They just seem booked, there projects go in and out of pre-production all the time.

True on the Freak of the Week thing, but Noggin? Nickleodeon? Absolutely not...I'm pretty sure Runaways has a fair amount of sex and romance and I'd rather not see those mature aspects of the book relegated to an 7th grade level of maturity. We don't need to see a low budget Animorphs type show.

If they'd make it into a tv show it needs to be top notch all the way with with themes for adults not children. Not to mention an animated show would just destroy the serious tone of the book. These characters have Real emotion. they struggle with things like survivors guilt and accepting their homo-sexuality. A cartoon or nickleodeon show would totally destroy the Runaways.

Oh, I don't know about Noggin. Shows like Degrassi, Out There, and that one show set in the lighthouse with Merfolk have tackled exactly those things rather head on.

To be sure, though, they were produced in Canada and Australia, where writing standards for teenage television seem rather different. I'm not so sure Vancouver (too cold, with real winters) or Sidney (where everyone drives on the wrong side of the road) could succesfully sub in for Southern California on a week-to-week basis.

I think a movie might work better only because you can have definite endings whereas with a television series they might fall into the freak of the week sort of thing. Although, if the right person was in charge of the series it might work out. Again, I say Joss Whedon could make it work.

The main thing that would worry me is whether or not they'd try to downplay the comic book world they live in. Half the fun of the runaways is the children's outlook of Super Villains and Heroes. They regularly talk about and make fun of "Super People" If at all possible I'd like them to continue to have conversations about Spider-Man and the X-Men. to date, no marvel movie has even hinted at any interconnectivity to show that the world these heroes inhabit consist of more than just the "protagonist" of the movie.

A news clipping with Spider-Man on it would suffice. Something.
you meanthevkids saying the avengers, ff look like a halloween pary turned vigilante?

Hey, the book just comes off to me as Degrassi with powers so I can totally see it on either of this channels at an 8 or 9 o'clock time slot. Those shows go pretty far with their sex and romance so definatel not 7th grade maturity. Would you prefer MTV? That was the next channel I was thinking of. I can't see this show on local tv stations for some reason.

I don't see how animation would hinder any of the things you mention anymore than it being a comic book would already. Once again if put in a time slot somewhere in 8-10 territory then it'd pretty much be the exact same thing as the comic. Cartoons can get away with what is done in the comics too without having to be shown on HBO or the Sci Fi channel (another option but I really don't see that channel playing teen dramas).

They just seem booked, there projects go in and out of pre-production all the time.

Exactly. Which is why focusing on a tv series like this would do wonders for em. I'm still holding out for that Moon Knight series though and instead of doing a Daredevil reboot they should just make a tv series out of that as well. A lot of marvel comics that are pretty much made to be television programs.

It just seems like it might not happen on TV... unless, as you say, unless Joss Whedon does it... but that would mean he'd have to break in a bunch of 15-19 year old actors, and a little girl... man... BUt if it did happen, a lot of what's been said sounds cool.

I actually had a runaways idea that was retooled for stereotypical TV genres as opposed to comic book genres... but, it was significantly underpowered, as you can imagine.

Hey... why can't we have a movie and let the series spinoff of that, eh?

It just seems like it might not happen on TV... unless, as you say, unless Joss Whedon does it... but that would mean he'd have to break in a bunch of 15-19 year old actors, and a little girl... man... BUt if it did happen, a lot of what's been said sounds cool.

I actually had a runaways idea that was retooled for stereotypical TV genres as opposed to comic book genres... but, it was significantly underpowered, as you can imagine.

Its a possiblity. But for some reason I am hesitant of it. I think if the movie bombs then the TV show will definitly never happen.

Plus Sci-Fi TV is making a comeback. I think people want it but they are getting shows with self-contained episodes (I love Reaper and Journeyman but where are they going, I dont feel the need to see every episode) Runaways could have the kind of continuity that people look to in TV shows nowdays. . FOr example, Entourage, Sopranos, Rescue Me, and 24. These continuity shows have the the same qualioty as an ongoing movie series IMO. When baseball ends I know my parents are always looking for some show to fill that gap.

I don't see what about Runaways has to be a movie. They can have a 2 hour pilot but is it really deserving of a movie? That's like making a Smallville movie.

Okay, okay, no movie...

Does 1 issue = 1 episode? The first series is season 1, ending in Alex's death, the second starts season 2, ending in Gert's or some such?

Also, should the twists remain the same or be changed to keep it fresh for the fans.

And am I the only one who would prefer to see talented teenage actors playing teenagers, or do most people feel that twenty-somethings are the only way to go for some reason which is beyond me?

i believe the use of twentysometings is so the producers will not be affected by child labor laws

Also, should the twists remain the same or be changed to keep it fresh for the fans.

Im for slight changes to keep the story fresh, the only rpoblem is they lose the essence of the book when they change too much. I particularly think that Gerts death is less important than Alex's

i believe the use of twentysometings is so the producers will not be affected by child labor laws

thats true but i think its less of a problem on TV since there or so many live action kids shows nowadays. It also depends on the age too. There more lenient for teens than younger kids. Which is why most babies are played by twins, but those same twins will be seen together in another show (see the Olsen twins and the Sprouse twins)

Im for slight changes to keep the story fresh, the only rpoblem is they lose the essence of the book when they change too much. I particularly think that Gerts death is less important than Alex's

Interesting. I disagree. Gert is, in many ways, the heart of the team, if someone else dies, then the whole story becomes a shock death instead of a "Runaways Disassembled." Why should Chase change? Why should Xavin stay if Karolina dies? Why develop Victor if you're just going to kill him off. Who else's death would mature Molly so radically, someone she can't just write off like she did Alex. It has to be Gert.

The twists I was referring to are A) Who the Mole/Villain is (just because Alex dies, doesn't mean he has to be the mole), and B) Who Victor's father is. C) Who from the pride gets brought back?

I'm trying to resist doing any casting now, but it's hard as heck.

But you're right, they use 20-somethings to avoid labor laws, which is extremely important on big budget movies... on weekly ensemble TV shows? It's not actually all that important, especially when the restrictions for 16-and-up are so minimal and there are no restrictions for 18 and 19 year olds.

That said, I imagine some directors don't like working with young stars,f or whatever reason, but I don't think Child Labor laws are a significant barrier to anything after the kids turn 16 or so... there are PLENTY live action teen shows and child members of ensemble casts...

I say go with real teens. It gets pretty noticable when 20 somethings get old. After a while it's just "Look, what are you running away from? Get a job, rent an apartment. You were too old to be living with your parents anyway." I want my teens to actually LOOK like Teens. If Noggin can do it with pretty much all of their shows then I don't see why this show can't do it.

Runaways lends itself to being a TV show more than being a movie. Yeah, you could do it as a movie, but I think it has more potential as a TV show. But then again, with the serial format in comics, I think just about an comic book would make a better TV show than a movie. But that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"