Secret Invasion Marvel Studios' Secret Invasion General Discussion Thread

Its true, to some extent
The prospect was incredibly exciting when first announced but it hasn't panned out as well as anyone hoped

I wish they focused a bit more on projects like WandaVision and She-Hulk, where it clearly felt like a TV show and not a 6 part movie
Then Holiday specials cuz both of those have been great so far

But Secret Invasion definitely feels like it should've been an event movie, rather than having no budget and not enough plot for a 6 ep series

I am not a fan of the shortened Marvel Studios Fanfare that starts each of these episodes. The full-length fanfare with the iconic music is one of the best things about the MCU. I hope this isn't a permanent thing going forward.

I am not a fan of the shortened Marvel Studios Fanfare that starts each of these episodes. The full-length fanfare with the iconic music is one of the best things about the MCU. I hope this isn't a permanent thing going forward.
I also think its time for a change. I love that intro but it got old. A new intro might give the MCU a very much needed refresh.

I also think its time for a change. I love that intro but it got old. A new intro might give the MCU a very much needed refresh.

surely-serious.gif

It would be quite lazy and cheap if it’s another
fake-out death cliff hanger
in episode 4. Four episodes in
three of them end with a key character murdered by the same guy?
Seriously?

It would be quite lazy and cheap if it’s another
fake-out death cliff hanger
in episode 4. Four episodes in
three of them end with a key character murdered by the same guy?
Seriously?
Maybe that's the theme of this show, lol.

Holy crap. I assume the actors aren’t cheap but this is more than Winter Soldier

Holy crap. I assume the actors aren’t cheap but this is more than Winter Soldier

Remember though, Covid issues, reshoots related to real world events, and general rising costs due to inflation. All these have an impact.

This series cost $212mill to produce?

A. where is the money?
B. it's so boring
Paying for SLJ, Coleman, Clarke, and maybe Mendelson

They all have enough prominent roles that their rate is probably high

Aside from Samuel L. Jackson and Mendelson, I'm not sure any of the above the line costs are worth it (although Olivia Coleman is a damn delight).

That's Stranger Things season 4 per episode money. But this looks equal to any generic sci-fi show from the 2010s.

I’ve got a lot more into the show since the second episode. Excited to see how it finishes and where it leaves things.

So far the shows aren’t really justifying the high budgets. Better ways to spend that money unless the shows achieve consistently high quality and build enough momentum to sufficiently contribute to Disney +.

I like the show but it's so slow and boring.

friends-joey-tribbiani.gif

Sorry for the double post. But I find this show so fascinating that I can't stop thinking about it.
I mean, how on Earth do you make such a boring show when you have millions and millions of dollars, some of the best working actors today, an incredible built-in universe... I mean... how can you screw it up?

Remember 24? That was, in comparison, a cheap show. 24 episodes a year (not 6... 24). And each episode of that show was riveting. So much going on. Incredible pace, the story kept moving forwards so you couldn't stop watching.
Secret Invasion should've been the 24 of paranoid thrillers, if you ask me. You don't need a ton of special effects for this one, just good scripts. It had all the right ingredients.
4 episodes in and felt like the first 15 minutes of a feature film.

As much as I love Marvel Studios, they are terrible at episodic television.

Sorry for the double post. But I find this show so fascinating that I can't stop thinking about it.
I mean, how on Earth do you make such a boring show when you have millions and millions of dollars, some of the best working actors today, an incredible built-in universe... I mean... how can you screw it up?

Remember 24? That was, in comparison, a cheap show. 24 episodes a year (not 6... 24). And each episode of that show was riveting. So much going on. Incredible pace, the story kept moving forwards so you couldn't stop watching.
Secret Invasion should've been the 24 of paranoid thrillers, if you ask me. You don't need a ton of special effects for this one, just good scripts. It had all the right ingredients.
4 episodes in and felt like the first 15 minutes of a feature film.

As much as I love Marvel Studios, they are terrible at episodic television.
I haven't seen any of the shows yet but I think the bolded is the problem. But again this is my just talking outta my ass. But I feel like the main complaint I keep hearing is that they just feel like extended movies. Certain filmmakers were talking about this and everyone called the old and haters but the way a lot of these studios just view things like "content" rather than shows vs films.

Feige also primarily has knowledge in film vs TV right? Maybe they needed to hire someone, not Loeb, who knows a little bit more about how TV works when they're doing their qc of it? Idk. Just from the outside looking it.

I do think Secret Invasion should've been a whole phase of all the Earth bound heroes not trusting each other. It should carry over through Armor Wars, Cap 4, Thunderbolts, etc. Skrulls should be a bigger deal but as of now they seemed to be pushed into a small corner of the MCU...because The Marvels doesn't even involve the Skrulls as heavily as Cap Marvel did right?

I haven't seen any of the shows yet but I think the bolded is the problem. But again this is my just talking outta my ass. But I feel like the main complaint I keep hearing is that they just feel like extended movies. Certain filmmakers were talking about this and everyone called the old and haters but the way a lot of these studios just view things like "content" rather than shows vs films.

Feige also primarily has knowledge in film vs TV right? Maybe they needed to hire someone, not Loeb, who knows a little bit more about how TV works when they're doing their qc of it? Idk. Just from the outside looking it.

I do think Secret Invasion should've been a whole phase of all the Earth bound heroes not trusting each other. It should carry over through Armor Wars, Cap 4, Thunderbolts, etc. Skrulls should be a bigger deal but as of now they seemed to be pushed into a small corner of the MCU...because The Marvels doesn't even involve the Skrulls as heavily as Cap Marvel did right?

It is most likely the root of all the problems. Because why make use of the episodic format if the episodes don't behave like episodes? This is not the first time they've had this problem, but it is most obvious in Secret Invasion.
I'm no expert in storytelling.... but I have been watching tv shows for 25+ years... I know something. And I'm clearly not satisfied with most episodes of Marvel Studios. There's no beginning, middle and end. Things just happen until the next week.

It is most likely the root of all the problems. Because why make use of the episodic format if the episodes don't behave like episodes? This is not the first time they've had this problem, but it is most obvious in Secret Invasion.
I'm no expert in storytelling.... but I have been watching tv shows for 25+ years... I know something. And I'm clearly not satisfied with most episodes of Marvel Studios. There's no beginning, middle and end. Things just happen until the next week.

Some of the Star Wars shows on Disney+ have the same issue, so it seems to be a Disney thing. Obi-Wan was probably the worst offender, it was clearly a pretty cool movie script extended with hours and hours of filler. I can't say that I would've seen similar problems with many streaming shows on the countless other services.

Part of me is wondering if part of that hefty budget is going towards a
Harrison Ford as Ross cameo in the finale if there's any setup for him being the new President even though Mulroney is still alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"