Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
just watched the angry joe review of the annoucement(great show i'd recommend it) but he brings up a good point jill and shuma have not been confirmed as anything but still DLC

so do we have to rebuy them again

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2011/08/umvc3-angry-rant/

It's already been mentioned that people who bought Jill and Shuma (as well as the extra costumes) will be able to use them again in the new version.

That would have found with a simple Google search to know that information, but that would have required, I don't know, ACTUAL journalism from Joe. :dry:

just give me Psylocke and Ibuki......and I'd buy the Ultimate Edition in a heartbeat!

A million Cyclops fans just screamed out in agony.

yep!! I'm one of them.......:oldrazz:

I'm sure there's someone out there going: "Well. The optic blast move's in the game......so that means the code is in the game......which means that Cyclops' code is in the game......and they'll release him as DLC........"

:cwink:

I've lost all hope for Cyke.But I'm very happy with the roster as is.

Why oh why did they give her Cyclops optic blast? It doesnt even seem to fit her. She couldnt shoot those out of her hands?

Damn, what's Marvel got against Cyclops? First they say no to him & then let Capcom give another character his iconic move.

Why oh why did they give her Cyclops optic blast? It doesnt even seem to fit her. She couldnt shoot those out of her hands?

to drive Cyclops fans crazy........that's why......:o :cmad:

To be honest this isn't new.Wolverine got to lead the X-men while Cyke watch in the sidelines in the recent X-men cartoon.

To be honest this isn't new.Wolverine got to lead the X-men while Cyke watch in the sidelines in the recent X-men cartoon.

yeah.....and not to mention the X-men movies where he pretty much got shafted in favor of Wolverine......

and now I've heard talk they want to kill him in the comics.......:csad:

Just saw the new commercial on G4 with Ghost Rider and Strider Hiryu. Still not paying for a whole new game but may rent it or whatever.

I really want to see some Nova footage. Has there been any that surfaced?

^ Don't think so. I can't wait for footage of Iron Fist, Dr. Strange and Rocket Raccoon. :awesome:

[YT]K5W9n7bBgGA[/YT]

I get why Joe's mad and some of his points are valid. However his point about nobody wanting half the cast shows total ignorance right there. He's like every other video game fan who doesn't read comics who thinks that "obscure" = characters nobody wants.

Yeah, that's where I stopped caring what he said. I like his video, but I've lost alot of respect for him after that video.

What the hell is wrong with Hawkeye? He didn't seem that mad about Rocky, but he was raging at Hawkeye. F*** you Joe, Hawkeye is awesome & the whole world will know that next May!!!

The fact is that Hawkeye is not the best choice for a fighting game, because his primary means of attack is using a bow. If you think they included him for any reason other than to promote the Avengers movie, I think you're probably mistaken. The fact of the matter is that if all these characters were $5 microtransactions, characters like Ricochet Raccoon and Hawkeye probably wouldn't sell very well, but since Marvel is mandating that Capcom make them playable characters, that is likely one of Capcom's motivations for doing this as a full retail disc rather than selling it piece by piece as microtransactions. Either way they have to allocate budget to these characters that only hardcore comic fans would want to spend $5 on each, but they wouldn't be making a profit on them unless purchasing them is mandatory to get the other characters.

As much as I rag on Capcom for breaking their promises and not delivering what the fans want, Marvel is just as much a part of the problem here. The reason MVC was a hit was because it was pure fanservice-- it was all about making your favorite characters fight each other. While MVC1 and MVC2 were all about "Buy this game, because your favorite characters are in it," Marvel's approach to MVC3 has been "These characters are in your favorite game, so buy their comics!" and that seems to be short selling the reason why people get excited about crossovers.

My brother is a game developer, and he was involved with a Marvel game project at one point. He said it was one of the worst experiences he's ever had on a project at his job, because Marvel wanted to micromanage every single aspect of the game. This was a tiny project, and yet Marvel had their continuity police and marketing goons looking over the shoulders of everyone working on it. My brother has co-workers who have worked on Star Wars games, and they said George Lucas is pretty much the opposite-- they had to run the initial concept by him, and once he gave it the OK they were pretty much free to do whatever they wanted. The continuity in that little Marvel game ended up being a hot mess anyway, and pretty much everyone on that team said they never wanted to work with Marvel again, so I can only imagine how it must be for a high profile project like MVC3.

Marvel is very successful, but they can be very difficult to work with if you want anything resembling creative freedom.

Last edited:
The reason MVC was a hit was because it was pure fanservice-- it was all about making your favorite characters fight each other. While MVC1 and MVC2 were all about "Buy this game, because your favorite characters are in it," Marvel's approach to MVC3 has been "These characters are in your favorite game, so buy their comics!" and that seems to be short selling the reason why people get excited about crossovers.

Ehhh no. The first two games where as much about advertising currently popular Marvel comic characters as it is in this. The only things that changed were the era and the characters. It's not a coincidence that Venom, Cable, Psylocke, Gambit, ect. where popular in the 90's AND were featured in the games.

Ehhh no. The first two games where as much about advertising currently popular Marvel comic characters as it is in this. The only things that changed were the era and the characters. It's not a coincidence that Venom, Cable, Psylocke, Gambit, ect. where popular in the 90's AND were featured in the games.
In other words, if they weren't popular then they wouldn't have been included. The problem is, there are too many constituencies for MVC3 to please. There are he fans of the first two games, who want to play as the characters that were in those, then there are the Marvel fans, who want to play as whoever they've been reading about the most lately, and then there are the Capcom fans who will buy the game regardless of who is in it. That is a lot of niches that MVC3 has to fill, but I think it's clear where Marvel's priorities are with their half of the roster. As someone who is looking at this game as an update of a fighting game that I greatly enjoyed, my bias is going to be towards including as many of my favorite characters from the last game as possible, and I think that is how a lot of fans who are upset about the roster choices feel.

[YT]K5W9n7bBgGA[/YT]

I get why Joe's mad and some of his points are valid. However his point about nobody wanting half the cast shows total ignorance right there. He's like every other video game fan who doesn't read comics who thinks that "obscure" = characters nobody wants.

Yeah, that's where I stopped caring what he said. I like his video, but I've lost alot of respect for him after that video.

What the hell is wrong with Hawkeye? He didn't seem that mad about Rocky, but he was raging at Hawkeye. F*** you Joe, Hawkeye is awesome & the whole world will know that next May!!!

I love comics and I love the fact that Rocket Raccoon is in the game, but you have to take in the fact that most people who play Marvel vs. Capcom 3 are gamers who don't read comics. They don't know who the **** Rocket Raccoon and Hawkeye are! They'd rather play as characters that they do know about such as War Machine, Cyclops, Venom, some of the Fantastic Four, etc.

In other words, if they weren't popular then they wouldn't have been included. The problem is, there are too many constituencies for MVC3 to please. There are he fans of the first two games, who want to play as the characters that were in those, then there are the Marvel fans, who want to play as whoever they've been reading about the most lately, and then there are the Capcom fans who will buy the game regardless of who is in it. That is a lot of niches that MVC3 has to fill, but I think it's clear where Marvel's priorities are with their half of the roster. As someone who is looking at this game as an update of a fighting game that I greatly enjoyed, my bias is going to be towards including as many of my favorite characters from the last game as possible, and I think that is how a lot of fans who are upset about the roster choices feel.

Count me in this camp, too.

I love comics and I love the fact that Rocket Raccoon is in the game, but you have to take in the fact that most people who play Marvel vs. Capcom 3 are gamers who don't read comics. They don't know who the **** Rocket Raccoon and Hawkeye are! They'd rather play as characters that they do know about such as War Machine, Cyclops, Venom, some of the Fantastic Four, etc.

i still feel like if you want those characters.. go play MvC2... it's still there, still exists.

also... when MvC1 and 2 came out... there were plenty of characters gamers didnt know (thanos, blackheart, shuma, marrow, spiral, etc..) so it's really no excuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"