Max: The Artist Formerly Known as HBO Max

So it's basically another US-only thing for the time being? That sucks. You would think if anyone could get their legal s*** together for a global streaming launch, it would be the biggest (global) studios in the world, but both Disney and WB dropped the ball there, I guess.

*sigh* I remember the days of waiting for a PS4 app for things I wanted to watch. I eventually just caved and got a Roku, lol.
Roku and HBO huh?

I am on to you FC....

GSC2sZG.gif

So it's basically another US-only thing for the time being? That sucks. You would think if anyone could get their legal s*** together for a global streaming launch, it would be the biggest (global) studios in the world, but both Disney and WB dropped the ball there, I guess.

*sigh* I remember the days of waiting for a PS4 app for things I wanted to watch. I eventually just caved and got a Roku, lol.
Quoting this again for an actual point. I think the companies like it this way. On one hand they want to plant their own streaming flag as early as possible. Trying to get out there before the others, before you become the "other" option. So all that short term streaming money they took is backfiring a bit. On the other hand, I think they like the slower roll out, region by region. Let's them work out the issues with the earlier launches, while having material later to drip out slowly because they "have to". Sucks for consumers, but works for the companies.

Yeah I'm surprised they both managed to mess that one up. I hope the deal is a temporary measure until some of their catalog reverts (I think their bigger shows are on Netflix here, barring HBO) and then they'll launch up here, but the fact they've never bothered to launch any direct HBO options up here doesn't fill me with hope.

Not gonna lie, been considering that myself as of late.

I have Disney+. I get new original content every month. Not saying it's all great, but it is there. Also it launched with this:

EkAFYPC.gif

Do HBO MAX have a Mando at launch? Do they the Marvel shows coming down the pipeline?

You mention what does Disney Plus offer. They offer everything Disney has, plus all 21st Century Fox material PG-13 and under. To claim they only have Marvel would be all time wrong. Especially as you are naming Pretty Little Liars and the Jetsons, and are just ignoring how big a deal stuff like Disney and Pixar animation are. Disney isn't the empire it is by accident. It's Disney. They own the most profitable IPs in the world. Do you really think everything you just listed is more popular then Disney's animated library? Also the price point doesn't hurt.

Disney Plus surpasses 50 million subscribers

I’m surprised WB didn’t announce a Wizarding World show for launch. That could have been their Mando equivalent, though to be fair they have plenty of DC shows in development (Doom Patrol being the first to launch).

They also have a Game of Thrones spinoff, which should be big and that Friends reunion. Honestly I just feel HBO Max will have stronger offerings, because of how strong a back catalogue Time Warner has.

I’m surprised WB didn’t announce a Wizarding World show for launch. That could have been their Mando equivalent, though to be fair they have plenty of DC shows in development (Doom Patrol being the first to launch).

They also have a Game of Thrones spinoff, which should be big and that Friends reunion. Honestly I just feel HBO Max will have stronger offerings, because of how strong a back catalogue Time Warner has.
There will be no Wizarding World show until JK agrees to it, and for some reason she seems against it. I am not sure why though. It seems like easy money and an inevitable thing.

I love Doom Patrol. One of my favorite shows. I hope the second season is more popular, but it wasn't a giant hit the first time around. We will see how the GoT spinoff goes, but how GoT ended, I don't think it is going to be that popular. Especially as the love for GoT came with the love for those characters. Which ended up being treated pretty badly come the end of it. I am excited for the Friends reunion, but it is one episode, unless I am mistaken.

Does Time Warner have a stronger back catalog? Because Disney owns the vast majority box office kings now and from yesteryear, including 7 of the top 10, and if my math is correct (sorry I did this quick), 42 of the top 100 (not including Spidey). And it's not just Marvel. Star Wars, live action Disney flicks, animation, etc.

Top Lifetime Grosses - Box Office Mojo

WB has 21 of the top 100. Also looking at that list, it would have helped if WB was making the Lord of the Rings show and not Amazon.

Last edited:
Does Time Warner have a stronger back catalog? Because Disney owns the vast majority box office kings now and from yesteryear, including 7 of the top 10, and if my math is correct, 42 of the top 100 (not including Spidey). And it's not just Marvel. Star Wars, live action Disney flicks, animation, etc.

Top Lifetime Grosses - Box Office Mojo

WB has 21 of the top 100. Also looking at that list, it would have helped if WB was making the Lord of the Rings show and not Amazon.
Between the two of them, that's some market not sharing. :rimshot:

There will be no Wizarding World show until JK agrees to it, and for some reason she seems against it. I am not sure why though. It seems like easy money and an inevitable thing.

Ego. And unlike Lucas, she doesn't own her own media company to blow money on her pet projects.

Ego. And unlike Lucas, she doesn't own her own media company to blow money on her pet projects.

Sometimes it's okay to not completely ****e out your IP and be at least a little precious about it.

After Fantastic Beasts she may not have much of a leg to stand on with that

I don't know about anyone else, but I've yet to see a single thing to make me want to buy into HBO MAX, not one single thing. I know they are working on Justice League Dark and possibly Green Lantern, but even that doesn't have me too excited right now. Like even Justice League Dark isn't enough to get me to try HBO Max. Green Lantern? It would depend on the casting, who's involved and how the early material looks. If it looks good, I'd consider trying HBO MAX.

Also, what's going to happen to DC Universe now?

I would totally get HBO Max (if only it would launch in Europe), just for that glorious movie and TV catalog alone. And they further had me at that trailer for the new Looney Tunes Cartoons... :hrt:

...which deserves to be reposted on here:

I have Disney+. I get new original content every month. Not saying it's all great, but it is there. Also it launched with this:

EkAFYPC.gif

Do HBO MAX have a Mando at launch? Do they the Marvel shows coming down the pipeline?

You mention what does Disney Plus offer. They offer everything Disney has, plus all 21st Century Fox material PG-13 and under. To claim they only have Marvel would be all time wrong. Especially as you are naming Pretty Little Liars and the Jetsons, and are just ignoring how big a deal stuff like Disney and Pixar animation are. Disney isn't the empire it is by accident. It's Disney. They own the most profitable IPs in the world. Do you really think everything you just listed is more popular then Disney's animated library? Also the price point doesn't hurt.

Disney Plus surpasses 50 million subscribers

You get a free subscription for this advertisement? :p

I don’t really need new content when I’m still trying to get through 100+ years of older content anyway.

This is a totally useless observation but I just noticed that that billboard coincidentally has both Huey Freeman and Angela Abar(both fictional characters portrayed by Regina King) standing together in the same picture.

Awesome.

EWPrElPWoAgonyi

Lol look at Superman’s positioning on there compared to Wonder Woman, Batman, and Aquaman Its strange that Bugs Bunny and Daffy aren’t on there though. I would have put The Bride on there since Kill Bill is pretty iconic, but cool billboard none the less

Well, the Bride isn't a WarnerMedia character. The South Park and Studio Ghibli guys aren't, either, but HBO Max has a year-long exclusive streaming deal for them.

And as much as I would have liked to see Bugs Bunny on there, at least Tweety's there, so they haven't completely brushed over the Looney Tunes (who I hope are going to have a big resurgence with the launch of the new shorts -- I've seen Warners has started selling clothes featuring the new designs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"