MCU: Phase II - Part 2

Thor didn't appear in IM2's end credits, it was just his hammer and they did that because Thor was the next Marvel Studios film to be released after Iron Man 2.

Hammer shwammer. The end credits regardless do not have a direct connection to the next film in that series or the next film in the MCU. Its all random.

IM1 gave us fury
IM2 gave us hint at Thor
Thor gave us hint at avengers
Cap gave us hint at avengers
Avengers gave us hint at future film (it could be avenger 2 or it could be guardians. Thanos will show up there for sure)

Signs do not seem to be pointing towards thanos in 2. The after credits scene is no proof of that

There's no such thing as "final act" at this moment. And I think after phase 3, we would get another Avengers movie in phase 4.

I disagree. I think we will get a three act structure, then some what of a recast will happen for avengers 4.. They will want to book end the end of Downey's run somehow

I think Phase III will be the end of the Thanos arc, then most characters will be recasted and Phase 4 could move on to Ultron or Kang

I think Phase III will be the end of the Thanos arc, then most characters will be recasted and Phase 4 could move on to Ultron or Kang

If...*IF,* god help me, the Avengers (and the MCU phases in general) are set up on an overarching three-act structure of some sort, and Thanos is "the fireworks finale" for TA3 as some of you believe, then he will, of necessity, be the driving force behind *TA2* as well as TA3. Just as he was for TA1 (yes: unnamed and unseen until after the credits, Thanos is actually the villain who drives the action in TA1, *not* Loki....Loki is merely doing Thanos' bidding, whether "Reindeer Games" is aware of that fact or not). TA1: Thanos maneuvers from the shadows; TA2: Thanos takes a more hands-on onscreen role, even though he doesn't directly confront the Avengers; TA3: Thanos vs. Avengers in The Big Showdown.

actually... come to think of it.. The High Evolutionary is sorta like a missing link to all the questions

1) he has deep ties into the twins
2) he named adam warlock
3) adam refers to him at times as his father
4) adam warlock may indeed appear in GotG
5) his whole purpose is to "evolve life" (easy way to skip around the whole "the twins are mutants" angle, because quite frankly.. that's what a mutant is.)
6) this could easily tie into the "open brain slot" killian was talking about in IM3
7) he's a very "whedon-eque villain"

Absolutely. There's even more Hi-Ev ties to MCU characters than that, but I won't laundry-list them; and he could also plant the seeds for other heroes/villains who haven't even been discussed (much) yet --- Spider-Woman, for instance.

I'm starting to think that rumormill murmurings of "The Controller" and "The Collector" evolve (pun intended) from confusion (or even outright disinformation) about the High Evolutionary, and that Wyndham is really the guy they've been talking about all along: i.e., Wyndham is a genetics genius on Earth who's starting to "evolve" humanity with superpowers (The Twins being examples) in his isolated stronghold on Mt. Wundagore, and Thanos (and/or even The Other, who some of us liken to Marvel Comics' Chthon, which would create a *direct* canonical connection to Hi-Ev) starts using him as his go-to guy to create an army of supervillains (MoE, in some form or other) to take out --- or at least distract and occupy --- the Avengers so he can go on with his dastardly dirty work.

If...*IF,* god help me, the Avengers (and the MCU phases in general) are set up on an overarching three-act structure of some sort, and Thanos is "the fireworks finale" for TA3 as some of you believe, then he will, of necessity, be the driving force behind *TA2* as well as TA3. Just as he was for TA1 (yes: unnamed and unseen until after the credits, Thanos is actually the villain who drives the action in TA1, *not* Loki....Loki is merely doing Thanos' bidding, whether "Reindeer Games" is aware of that fact or not). TA1: Thanos maneuvers from the shadows; TA2: Thanos takes a more hands-on onscreen role, even though he doesn't directly confront the Avengers; TA3: Thanos vs. Avengers in The Big Showdown.

Absolutely. There's even more Hi-Ev ties to MCU characters than that, but I won't laundry-list them; and he could also plant the seeds for other heroes/villains who haven't even been discussed (much) yet --- Spider-Woman, for instance.

I'm starting to think that rumormill murmurings of "The Controller" and "The Collector" evolve (pun intended) from confusion (or even outright disinformation) about the High Evolutionary, and that Wyndham is really the guy they've been talking about all along: i.e., Wyndham is a genetics genius on Earth who's starting to "evolve" humanity with superpowers (The Twins being examples) in his isolated stronghold on Mt. Wundagore, and Thanos (and/or even The Other, who some of us liken to Marvel Comics' Chthon, which would create a *direct* canonical connection to Hi-Ev) starts using him as his go-to guy to create an army of supervillains (MoE, in some form or other) to take out --- or at least distract and occupy --- the Avengers so he can go on with his dastardly dirty work.

very nice. Yeah... I would not be shocked if this happens. it fits too perfectly, and is a villain so low on peoples radar, that it will be sorta like pulling a Malekeith and Whiplash on us... Not exactly the first choice villains people associate the heroes with. But fits very well

Nice to read posts by actual readers of comics from the past and not just the last few years.

What have you all been thinking of Phase II so far? I think some have been expecting way too much, from the trailers and hype it seems like most were expecting some deeper and complex movies, but were disapointed when the films were just mostly popcorn fun.

Honestly, i don't think much changed when it comes to quality, Iron Man 3, while the twist made many fans angry, was more entertaining and better than most other MCU films, while Thor 2 was Basically and extension of the first 1 when it comes to comedy, i actually laughed more in this one than in the first film, where i was just staring at the screen with a blank expression.

I can see Phase II ending with people saying how disapointed they were though, i have high hopes for Avengers 2 and Captain America though, not much faith as other in Guardians though, seems like a CGI fest and the characters don't seem very interesting or original, will watch and hope it's good though.

So far i rate Phase II as well as Phase I, Agents of SHIELD started slow and the characters still don't interest me, but i'm getting more excited about what is happening.

Overall, the first 2 phase 2 films have been way better than the first 2 phase one films. Plus, I'm one of the few who actually enjoy Agents of Shield. In addition, it's much easier to only wait 6 months for a film than 12 months.

Lastly, most of the phase one movies were "origin" stories, whereas phase two has focused more on character development. Personally, I've enjoyed the phase 2 movies a lot more.

I'm digging Phase 2, loved Iron Man 3 (ties with IM as my second favorite MCU film, first being Avengers), but was disappointed in Thor: TDW, which isn't bad, but felt rushed. Overall, I like what I see.

What have you all been thinking of Phase II so far? I think some have been expecting way too much, from the trailers and hype it seems like most were expecting some deeper and complex movies, but were disapointed when the films were just mostly popcorn fun.

Honestly, i don't think much changed when it comes to quality, Iron Man 3, while the twist made many fans angry, was more entertaining and better than most other MCU films, while Thor 2 was Basically and extension of the first 1 when it comes to comedy, i actually laughed more in this one than in the first film, where i was just staring at the screen with a blank expression.

I can see Phase II ending with people saying how disapointed they were though, i have high hopes for Avengers 2 and Captain America though, not much faith as other in Guardians though, seems like a CGI fest and the characters don't seem very interesting or original, will watch and hope it's good though.

So far i rate Phase II as well as Phase I, Agents of SHIELD started slow and the characters still don't interest me, but i'm getting more excited about what is happening.
with only two movies out it is hard to say phase ii is superior to phase i, but so far i enjoy every single second of it as much as i enjoyed the first phase, maybe even more.

1 great film and 1 decent film. Doing alright so far. AOS sucks wang, but it's seperate enough to forget about.

I've been disappointed so far. Marvel themselves keep hyping these movies up as being "deeper and more complex" and then they're not. It's Marvel's own fault that people are complaining about that. Also, the comedy is starting to get on my nerves to. Phase One had a good balance of drama and comedy, but Phase Two seems to be upping the comedy to the point that it's starting to intrude on the narrative. Plus, a lot of it just isn't funny.

I'm loving them, it's a nice change of pace from the "dark and gritty/serious" comic films. Marvel embraces the books for what they are. and doesn't try to turn them into something they're not.

Which would be fine, IF they wouldn't then advertise them as being more serious. All of the pre-release promo for IM 3 and TDW made it seem like they would be more epic films with serious stakes, and then they weren't. Marvel did that themselves. Also, the comedy is still too much.

i don't know man. I got all that i expected. We've seen the previous films.. we know on some level what we can expect

I'm loving them, it's a nice change of pace from the "dark and gritty/serious" comic films. Marvel embraces the books for what they are. and doesn't try to turn them into something they're not.

100% agreed :up:

The MCU films feel the most like the comics I enjoyed growing up. Love these movies, faults and all. I look forward to all their releases. I am even enjoying AoS. The show started VERY slow, but last 2 episodes were quite good :up:

100% agreed :up:

The MCU films feel the most like the comics I enjoyed growing up. Love these movies, faults and all. I look forward to all their releases. I am even enjoying AoS. The show started VERY slow, but last 2 episodes were quite good :up:

I'm glad, I'm the same way too. The MCU films really feel like the comics brought to life. I adore all of them even with the things I don't like, the positive greatly outweighs the bad by a huge margin in my eyes. If the DC films were more like this I would adore those too, even though I'm more of a Marvel fan.

I can't wait for Phase III to finally seem the likes of smaller characters like Ant-Man and hopefully Doctor Strange make it to the big screen! I haven't watched AOS since October. :O I didn't do it on purpose but I was having difficulty watching it, I've been hearing good things though so I think I need to get back to watching it.

You don't think a half human half alien dukee bag, a psychotic talking Raccoon and an alien assassin who has daddy issues with Thanos is original? Guardians of the Galaxy has the potential to be the most unique superhero movie ever.

As for "phase 2" or whatever they are calling it? We've had two movies out of 6. IM3 was brilliant as far as i'm concerned. Marvel finally did something different, they didn't just follow the same old formula that people have been complaining about. It also had some fun deconstruction elements to it. The Dark World was certainly rushed and could have done with another 20 or 30 minutes. But visually it's the best MCU film and it had a good character arc for Thor. And Loki actually.

Last edited:
I see absolutely no difference between the comedy in Phase 1 and Phase 2. It's the same, more or less.
I belief it is just the people who critizised Phase 1 for playing it too safe can't whine about that anymore and found something else to focus on.

You don't think a half human half alien dukee bag,

Oh my god, where have i seen a dukee bag character before? Or half-Human half-alien?
a psychotic talking Raccoon and an alien assassin who has daddy issues with Thanos is original

No i don't, people with daddy-issues are the run-of-the mil in Hollywood, the only relationship that is a big more rare is that of daughters with mothers. And a talking racoon? Is that his major characteristic? His character is kind of cliched too, the one with the most cuddly appearance who turns out to be "edgy" and violent.

Guardians of the Galaxy has the potential to be the most unique superhero movie ever.
Sounds like just another space film, honestly.

Last edited:
I see absolutely no difference between the comedy in Phase 1 and Phase 2. It's the same, more or less.
I belief it is just the people who critizised Phase 1 for playing it too safe can't whine about that anymore and found something else to focus on.

I don't think so, i was one of the people whining about Phase 1 playing it safe, and i have been having no problem with Phase II's comedy, i think it's that many of the fans in Phase I closed their eyes in the front of its flaws, but are not doing the same in Phase II.

Loved both IM3 and TDW and I don't really see the difference with phase 1 movies,to me they're getting better and more creative.

They could always whine about Phase 2 not playing it safe enough, like with Iron Man 3. :doh:

I really liked both IM3 and T:TDW. Neither hit the heights of The Avengers or Iron Man, in my opinion, but both were significant improvements over the lower end fare like Iron Man 2. I even thought the Thor sequel was marginal improvement over its predecessor. With what we've heard from Cap 2, GOTG and Avengers 2, I think Phase II will end up bettering Phase I.

Oh my god, where have i seen a dukee bag character before? Or half-Human half-alien?

No i don't, people with daddy-issues are the run-of-the mil in Hollywood, the only relationship that is a big more rare is that of daughters with mothers. And a talking racoon? Is that his major characteristic? His character is kind of cliched too, the one with the most cuddly appearance who turns out to be "edgy" and violent.

Sounds like just another space film, honestly.

Okay, let's be fair... most space films are not superhero movies, and vice versa. The other exception, Green Lantern, is far more formulaic than what GOTG seems to be, so this still might be the most unique superhero film ever. Certainly more unique than Iron Man, whom we can pull many many tropes from including the dukeebag with daddy issues, but not have the unique setting or lifeforms or space vagabond set up which we haven't seen since Firefly, really, and before that Star Wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"