MCU X-Men - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discuss anything and everything regarding possible MCU X-Men films and appearances of X-Men and associated characters in the MCU.

I'd like to see main team films gradually build like Avengers films have towards big events having Cyclops and Storm leading ever expanding teams that one day incorporate the below:

Xavier
Senior
Cyclops - Storm - Beast - Jean - Wolverine
A Team
Iceman - Colossus - Nightcrawler - Rogue - Gambit - Kitty - Psylocke - Angel
Mansion Team ;)
Jubilee - Banshee - Forge - Moira - Magik
Sequels once the above established
Emma Frost - Bishop - Cable - Havok - Polaris

As others have suggested it would be nice to see the individual members appear in other MCU films ahead of (and after) an all out MCU X-film to get the GA used to these new versions of the characters. These are the ones I've heard that I've liked so far:

One of the most popular has been for Iceman to appear in Spider-man and his Amazing Friends with Johnny Storm.
Storm to appear in a Black Panther sequel even if there is no romance.
Rogue could get her powers from a Captain Marvel sequel, which would also allow Monica Rambeau to fill in while Danvers was temporarily out of commission.
If there are any Cap or Hulk films post Phase 3 (not necessarily looking too likely in the immediate future), then Cyclops and Wolverine could debut in those respectively.
And it would be nice if Beast had a role with the Avengers at some point too.

Please throw in any and all ideas linked to the above...below. :cwink:

I'd go with a new actor for the MCU Wolverine but there's no reason why Jackman couldn't show up as a time-displaced Old Man Logan, it's happened in the comics.
Old Man Logan would be the MCU version just very old. Why would it be Jackman. In the comics, it was an Old Man version of 616 Logan in an alternative universe.

Last edited:
If someone has questions about the FOX continuity, just visit my site: X-Continuity.

I definitely get Vulcan being OP. He is Omega level though. For me, he didn't seem too over the top. Black Bolt was able to beat him one on one.

But yeah, that brings up the issue of the Inhumans. Honestly, I really just think it's best to pretend the series never happened, but I worry it's forever tainted the brand... It's going to suck so bad if we never get the Inhumans in the wide MCU because of Perlmutter and Scott Buck.

I see what you're getting at. I do like the idea of getting some shine on characters that don't usually get it. Maybe as quasi-supporting characters of the original team. I think using characters that haven't gotten any shine could be cool. I personally would want to see Dazzler, Sunfire, and Thunderbird, but it might be interesting to use characters that naturally lend themselves to support roles, like Sage, Forge and Cecelia Reyes.

I think they'd probably need a reasoning stronger than 'we need more bodies' to recruit a whole new team. It'd be more interesting if there was some material difference between the type of missions they were doing in the backstory and the type of missions the movie franchise covers.

Shadow King! Yes! He's great, and would be a really REALLY good first movie villain. He can be inserted into anything and be a catalyst because he's a body-jumper. As much as I love FX's Legion, and Aubrey Plaza in general, that character isn't really as Shadow King-y as I'd like.

And I totally get what you mean about Sauron, and I used to feel the same way, I just don't care anymore for some reason, so long as he's used to support another villain.
Dazzler, Sunfire, or Thunderbird would also be great additions to the original team. Forge and Cecelia Reyes would be excellent support characters and just make a lot of sense to include.

I actually don't think it's the easiest thing to come up with a story that makes sense for the new team. Even the comics didn't do it in a graceful way. The appeal is they come from all over the world, but it's also a challenge to bring them together. The event that brings them together would be global in nature, but how do you show each new character getting recruited without it dragging (recruiting the Horsemen in Apocalypse took too long and was rather silly).

But I just think it would be really cool to highlight some lesser known characters that fans would get a kick out of seeing, and then upturn that world be introducing these big A-lister fan favourites with big personalities that the general audience knows.

I'd also want the movies to follow the development of the school, in a better way than the Fox movies do because those movies jumped decades.

X1: Xavier, with help from Forge, Cecilia, and Moira, teaches a small group of youngish students how to control their powers and deal with mutant/human crises. The team adds 3 or 4 major A-listers by the time the movie is over.

X2: The students from the first movie are now college age, and become sort of like grad students - they still work with the professor, but help teach a new generation (the New Mutants equivalent). Some characters from the first one stay and others leave (for some spin-off related property?)

X3: The school becomes as large as we see in the Fox films and the comics now, which brings its own set of problems. I'd love them to adapt Riot at Xavier's. Xavier lowers his profile and prepares the X-men to take over the school (we can then see Xavier maybe working for the UN or in some important role).

The school is so fundamental, and should be as much of a character as anyone else. It should grow and change over time.
Eventually, if this formula becomes too repetitive, Marvel could mix things up with Utopia, Schism, etc. But only after the schools foundations have been built.

Last edited:
Gee where already getting a new thread by the thread manager! Blimey this is a popular topic. I wonder how much the MCU xmen flick will make? Judging by the buzz it could make tons!

I think I'm sold on the idea of starting the O5 college-aged (20-22) but establishing they've been training with the Professor since high school. I mean, it wouldn't be the first time it's been done. Ultimate X-Men started with Scott and Jean already being there for a while and only going X-Men in college. Even Evolution still had them be there for a while before anyone else showed up.

And plus it's a good way to establish X-Men norms in a way that makes sense. Like why Scott is already good in battle, and why him and Jean are so close. Otherwise we'll have to sit through another film of Scott learning to be a leader and them getting to know each other.

Not sure if it has to be an "O5" though. I would give Storm and Beast the Scott/Jean treatment but besides that, no one else "has" to be there. I envision Iceman to be closer to Peter Parker's age and don't really buy Angel as a "natural" founding member now that I think about it. Angel seems like the well-off white kid who would hide his minority status from the world, or at least his family would. I can see there being Angel spottings like the Mothman though.

Well, Giant Size X-Men were College kids so I'm down with this approach. They're not uber rookies but they're not in their prime or at the end of their rope as Legacy Characters. A good middle ground.

I definitely get Vulcan being OP. He is Omega level though. For me, he didn't seem too over the top. Black Bolt was able to beat him one on one.

But yeah, that brings up the issue of the Inhumans. Honestly, I really just think it's best to pretend the series never happened, but I worry it's forever tainted the brand... It's going to suck so bad if we never get the Inhumans in the wide MCU because of Perlmutter and Scott Buck.

I think part of what miffed me about Vulcan was that neither of his longstanding brothers had anywhere near that power level, and he came off of as that kind of 'relative of an already established character who is so much better than them' and there wasn't any awareness or irony that I could pick up on. I'm glad that they didn't have him pwning long established cosmic-level characters, but man... he doesn't have near the character development that other characters of that tier have, imho.

I think they will end up just pretending Inhumans show didn't happen, like they do with Agents of SHIELD, but I think part of what they need to figure out is how to outright contradict those shows without losing any of the value of that connection, or alienating those fans, as some of the cast members feel alienated already by the lack of true connection.

Dazzler, Sunfire, or Thunderbird would also be great additions to the original team. Forge and Cecelia Reyes would be excellent support characters and just make a lot of sense to include.

I actually don't think it's the easiest thing to come up with a story that makes sense for the new team. Even the comics didn't do it in a graceful way. The appeal is they come from all over the world, but it's also a challenge to bring them together. The event that brings them together would be global in nature, but how do you show each new character getting recruited without it dragging (recruiting the Horsemen in Apocalypse took too long and was rather silly).

But I just think it would be really cool to highlight some lesser known characters that fans would get a kick out of seeing, and then upturn that world be introducing these big A-lister fan favourites with big personalities that the general audience knows.

I'd also want the movies to follow the development of the school, in a better way than the Fox movies do because those movies jumped decades.

X1: Xavier, with help from Forge, Cecilia, and Moira, teaches a small group of youngish students how to control their powers and deal with mutant/human crises. The team adds 3 or 4 major A-listers by the time the movie is over.

X2: The students from the first movie are now college age, and become sort of like grad students - they still work with the professor, but help teach a new generation (the New Mutants equivalent). Some characters from the first one stay and others leave (for some spin-off related property?)

X3: The school becomes as large as we see in the Fox films and the comics now, which brings its own set of problems. I'd love them to adapt Riot at Xavier's. Xavier lowers his profile and prepares the X-men to take over the school (we can then see Xavier maybe working for the UN or in some important role).

The school is so fundamental, and should be as much of a character as anyone else. It should grow and change over time.
Eventually, if this formula becomes too repetitive, Marvel could mix things up with Utopia, Schism, etc. But only after the schools foundations have been built.

I really would love to see the school develop. Like... when we see the Mansion get blown up (because it always does) we should be totally heartbroken, like the characters would be.

I think the generationality of the X-Men would be really REALLY great to include, with the New Mutants -> Generation X -> The Squads/Academy X -> Quire&Co/Five Lights and those being distinct 'mini-eras' over the course of the franchise, separated by 3-6 years each.

Then going into a new era with Utopia and Schism could be really cool. I'm very curious to see how and when they'll spinoff an X-Men team into a new sub franchise.

This isn't entirely related to X-Men, but I also think Phase 3 is the last time the MCU will feel like an ongoing TV show. It's easy to do that when all your solo heroes are Avengers or connected to the Avengers via Infinity Stones, which all have been so far. But the way they're talking about Spider-Man being their "Harry Potter" franchise suggests they view the Spider-Man films as almost a separate show running parallel to the Avengers/Guardians show, with occassional crossovers between the two. Infinity War guest-stars Spider-Man, Homecoming guest-stars Iron Man but sets up only Spider-Man things. It's about as distant from the other films as the TV shows, but with a bridge connecting that distance.

I think we'll see a similar approach with the X-Men, which could mean more X-films at once than expected. I don't see them giving everyone solos but I can imagine doing some with X-Men who run off a lot like Wolverine. It's also possible we see teams like X-Force and New Mutants alongside the main X-Men.

Last edited:
The question about spin-offs in the MCU is an interesting one. I love Logan, but it has been frustrating seeing talent and creativity given to spinoffs while Apocalypse treaded water (we'll see what Dark Phoenix does). I'd hate to see the main X-men movies be average while energy and attention is given to yet another Wolverine movie.

X-Force makes more sense in the Fox world, where that movie can portray hyper-violence and moral ambiguity. Would a black-ops murder team fly in the MCU?

Other teams might not have enough of an identity to justify their own films. X-Factor can feel like a smaller scale version of the main team. Exiles can explore the multi-verse, leading to opportunities for cameos by recast characters no longer in the MCU?

Solos are tough because X-characters don't do as well when they are in isolation from other X-men. Wolverine and Cable have been the most successful. I'd be a fine with a Wolverine solo if they minimize his presence in the team movies and include Laura and Daken. Cable is a meh idea.

I'd love it if they took a risk and made a Dazzler musical, Jem and the Holograms meet the X-men style.

I want Storm's presence felt in a big way, would a solo be the way to go or should they focus on her in the main team films and put her Black Panther's world?

Bob Iger already said they can put out rated R movies. They said they just have to make sure people know it's rated R.

Angel seems like the well-off white kid who would hide his minority status from the world, or at least his family would. I can see there being Angel spottings like the Mothman though.

Actually, shipping him off to a boarding school is EXACTLY the way his NIMBY* parents might handle his... Condition.

*Not In My Back Yard.

The question about spin-offs in the MCU is an interesting one. I love Logan, but it has been frustrating seeing talent and creativity given to spinoffs while Apocalypse treaded water (we'll see what Dark Phoenix does). I'd hate to see the main X-men movies be average while energy and attention is given to yet another Wolverine movie.

X-Force makes more sense in the Fox world, where that movie can portray hyper-violence and moral ambiguity. Would a black-ops murder team fly in the MCU?

Other teams might not have enough of an identity to justify their own films. X-Factor can feel like a smaller scale version of the main team. Exiles can explore the multi-verse, leading to opportunities for cameos by recast characters no longer in the MCU?

Solos are tough because X-characters don't do as well when they are in isolation from other X-men. Wolverine and Cable have been the most successful. I'd be a fine with a Wolverine solo if they minimize his presence in the team movies and include Laura and Daken. Cable is a meh idea.

I'd love it if they took a risk and made a Dazzler musical, Jem and the Holograms meet the X-men style.

I want Storm's presence felt in a big way, would a solo be the way to go or should they focus on her in the main team films and put her Black Panther's world?
Yes I would much prefer it be the other way round. Put everything into making great X-Men films, and then great spinoffs can be a bonus rather than the main event.

Actually, shipping him off to a boarding school is EXACTLY the way his NIMBY* parents might handle his... Condition.

*Not In My Back Yard.

If Xavier makes them go public, not really. I feel they would pull him out of there the second that happens.

If Xavier makes them go public, not really. I feel they would pull him out of there the second that happens.

Well, that might not happen in the first movie. Could make a good plot point down the road a bit...

From https://www.jasonpastrana.com/work

MGwucbt.png

wtrJJOX.png

I love the look of Wolverine having his mouth covered but I feel it would take away from his character a little bit.
Like not being able to see his teeth as he rages and goes berserk might bother me.

Has anyone ever given a plausible or practical reason for Wolverine's mask's wings?

I don’t mean this in a snooty way, but does it need one?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it does, especially integrating with a universe that has come up with such incredible and slick explanations for comics costumes thus far, and dropped other big flappy masks, like Hawkeye's.

I mean... why do they exist in the first place? The reason we'd want it in the films is because it was in the comics, okay... but why was it in the comics at all? What is it supposed to evoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"