• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Marvel Films MCU X-Men - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect send-off to Fox Wolverine and a great film, rather than a perfect send-off to Fox X-men.

Fair enough, but agree to disagree here. I like Jackman's performance (obviously, lol, I'm a fan), and liked that Mangold chose to tell Laura's story--it fit well thematically. But I would have liked to see the X-Men as a cast of characters, as a legacy to this franchise, held in a higher regard. Especially after the reformed 2023 we saw at the end of Days of Future Past. Was always irked that they were alluded to all have been abruptly killed by their mentor in a world where mutants are now largely extinct...But alas, that's a different conversation for a different thread :)

Fair enough, but agree to disagree here. I like Jackman's performance (obviously, lol, I'm a fan), and liked that Mangold chose to tell Laura's story--it fit well thematically. But I would have liked to see the X-Men as a cast of characters, as a legacy to this franchise, held in a higher regard. Especially after the reformed 2023 we saw at the end of Days of Future Past. Was always irked that they were alluded to all have been abruptly killed by their mentor in a world where mutants are now largely extinct...But alas, that's a different conversation for a different thread :)
Em.. I think we agree? :D

I wouldn’t consider it a perfect send-off for Wolverine despite the strong performance. Too many story/plot points I disagree with to call it perfect. Logan was good, but I like Jackman as the character more in The Wolverine or Days of Future Past for example. IMO those are perfect Wolverine stories—even if the former loses its way in Act III with Silver Samurai

Which certainly adds to my wanting to see Jackman continue. Not the way I’d end his Wolverine.

I agree with the bolded, but I don't think new/fresh need be exclusive from continuing with Jackman. Just surround his Wolverine character in new trappings, etc. and you can provide a fresh take. Simply having him interact with heroes outside of the X-Men/mutants is fresh enough for an MCU movie.

I can see that working well for the Fox version, if he makes an appearance in the Multiverse of Madness, but I don't think that's a good long-term solution for a rebooted version in the MCU. I especially don't think that will hold up in the MCU X-Men movies because Jackman's Wolverine was such a big presence for so long that I don't think there's much left new to see.

I wouldn’t consider it a perfect send-off for Wolverine despite the strong performance. Too many story/plot points I disagree with to call it perfect. Logan was good, but I like Jackman as the character more in The Wolverine or Days of Future Past for example. IMO those are perfect Wolverine stories—even if the former loses its way in Act III with Silver Samurai

Which certainly adds to my wanting to see Jackman continue. Not the way I’d end his Wolverine.

Logan was a forced ending. It was a great way to go out in a time before the Disney acquisition of FOX. They were shooting the movie before Spider-Man had even made his debut in CW. Jackman saw a future where Wolverine could never fight alongside The Avengers and said "Let's wrap this up."

So much has changed since then. We have an MCU Spider-Man movie starring Maguire, Dafoe and Molina out in theaters in a week. Its an awesome time to be a fan.

I can see that working well for the Fox version, if he makes an appearance in the Multiverse of Madness, but I don't think that's a good long-term solution for a rebooted version in the MCU. I especially don't think that will hold up in the MCU X-Men movies because Jackman's Wolverine was such a big presence for so long that I don't think there's much left new to see.

I still maintain that Jackman could play the role for another decade or so lol but that seems to be a point of debate on this thread. I consider that long-term--in those years, he could appear in X-Men films and/or D+ series to varying degrees of main/supporting role. He could fight the Hulk and clash with Nick Fury. He could join the Avengers. He could fight the Avengers. He could wear the classic costume. He could go to Madripoor and tussle with ex-Hydra agents and Hand ninjas. Etc. All of these are half-baked ideas, but the MCU could easily flesh out. And introduce successor characters, be it an actual Wolverine character (Laura, Honey Badger, Daken, etc.) or use a 'spiritual' Wolvie successor like Gambit--someone to butt against leadership and offer stellar action sequences. A fan favorite.

I still maintain that Jackman could play the role for another decade or so lol but that seems to be a point of debate on this thread. I consider that long-term--in those years, he could appear in X-Men films and/or D+ series to varying degrees of main/supporting role. He could fight the Hulk and clash with Nick Fury. He could join the Avengers. He could fight the Avengers. He could wear the classic costume. He could go to Madripoor and tussle with ex-Hydra agents and Hand ninjas. Etc. All of these are half-baked ideas, but the MCU could easily flesh out. And introduce successor characters, be it an actual Wolverine character (Laura, Honey Badger, Daken, etc.) or use a 'spiritual' Wolvie successor like Gambit--someone to butt against leadership and offer stellar action sequences. A fan favorite.

All of that is on the table. Evans played Cap in 7 movies over an 8-year period. Jackman can do the same.

Garfield and Maguire are pretty weird examples as they’ve already been recast with Holland.
Selectively ignoring everything else in the post, nice. But yeah let’s talk in a few years when Hugh is back. For a detective, you don’t seem to see the pattern in the recent MCU castings/return of actors from other universes.

Logan was a forced ending. It was a great way to go out in a time before the Disney acquisition of FOX. They were shooting the movie before Spider-Man had even made his debut in CW. Jackman saw a future where Wolverine could never fight alongside The Avengers and said "Let's wrap this up."

So much has changed since then. We have an MCU Spider-Man movie starring Maguire, Dafoe and Molina out in theaters in a week. Its an awesome time to be a fan.

I tend to agree that if the option was presented, Jackman would have joined the MCU. It wasn't, and so he gracefully bowed out after 17 years with a director he trusted in a character-driven film that he could be proud of. With things now back on the table, things may have changed for Jackman. That's all I am saying. Just because the current log-line in his interviews is that he hopes someone else makes the role their own doesn't mean that conversations aren't/can't happen behind-the-scenes.

But its all conjecture, my opinion, to be fair.

Last edited:
Donofrio publicly supported Big Show being cast as MCU Kingpin. There are definitely some talks between Hugh and Feige

Fact: Kevin Feige's thoughts on Hugh Jackman as Wolverine are anything but overtly positive.

While some people foolishly obsess over Jackman's height and age, Feige concentrates on the most important aspect of Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine: he embodies the spirit of the character.
Yea Feige loved Hugh and is taking notes of lessons for future casting(s) :huh:

Now rewatch that Wolverine interview where he says Logan is his perfect swan song and tell me where in there you can say he's game for returning. No gut feelings allowed. Just facts.

Last edited:
Yea Feige loved Hugh and is taking notes of lessons for future casting(s) :huh:

Now rewatch that Wolverine interview where he says Logan is his perfect swan song and tell me where in there you can say he's game for returning. No gut feelings allowed. Just facts.
You’ve got to be kidding me. Go find that information yourself. He’s gone on record saying how interested he’d be in joining the MCU. And you’ve been here long enough to know that what actors say=/= what’s really going on behind the scenes. There are negotiations and spoilers to consider. Come on now, you’re being pedantic and giving into your own personal feelings.

Just look at the writing on the wall. Feige is bringing all these people back, bet on Hugh returning. All this back and forth is silly until the day we get confirmation, but I’d put money on his return. It’s just a matter of when.

Feige is taking notes of lessons for future casting(s) :huh:

Jackman was backed into a corner creatively with the character under FOX at a time when Spider-Man hadn't even joined the MCU. He and Mangold crafted a respectable way out. Logan is a "perfect swan song" for Jackman's Wolverine in 2016 as it's being written. In a post-Disney acquisition of FOX world, that movie never gets made.

You're essentially arguing that a premature, Oscar Nominated ending to Jackman's time as Wolverine should prevent him from playing Wolverine in a world where FOX no longer exists and Jackman can return as Wolvie in the MCU as their version of the character.

In summary, forget Logan (2017).

You’ve got to be kidding me. Go find that information yourself. He’s gone on record saying how interested he’d be in joining the MCU. And you’ve been here long enough to know that what actors say=/= what’s really going on behind the scenes. There are negotiations and spoilers to consider. Come on now, you’re being pedantic and giving into your own personal feelings.

Just look at the writing on the wall. Feige is bringing all these people back, bet on Hugh returning. All this back and forth is silly until the day we get confirmation, but I’d put money on his return. It’s just a matter of when.
His "Logan" interviews came AFTER his The Wolverine/DOFP interviews. Post-Logan Hugh Jackman seems content with how "his" Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett/X ended. Now obviously Hugh can change his mind.

But you seem to think he's lying to himself and/or everyone else and there's just no point in arguing with your gut feelings.

So meh. Next topic.

His "Logan" interviews came AFTER his The Wolverine/DOFP interviews. Post-Logan Hugh Jackman seems content with how "his" Wolverine ended. But you seem to think he's lying to himself and there's just no point in arguing with your gut feelings. So meh. Next topic.
Bro you aren’t reading what people are saying and your confirmation bias is showing. The evidence is right there and your personal interests are blocking your perception.

Look at who else is confirmed or rumored to return. Hugh Jackman will be back. It’s just a matter of when and how.

A Jackman led X-Men movie has never cracked $235 million in the US. Why is he going to be the MCU savior here?
crowd-laughing.gif

Well said.
And neither The Wolverine or Logan made $700m ww, so stop reaching guys.

His "Logan" interviews came AFTER his The Wolverine/DOFP interviews. Post-Logan Hugh Jackman seems content with how "his" Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett/X ended. Now obviously Hugh can change his mind.

But you seem to think he's lying to himself and/or everyone else and there's just no point in arguing with your gut feelings.

So meh. Next topic.

Variety next year: "Hugh Jackman to return as Wolverine in Marvel Cinematic Universe for 9-picture deal"

You: But he said he quit! Logan was his swan song. He said so!!!

Variety next year: "Hugh Jackman to return as Wolverine in Marvel Cinematic Universe for 9-picture deal"

This. It would be foolish to think he won’t return. The only question is will Hugh return as the main MCU Wolverine or just a multiversal Wolverine? I can see either happening. Just keep him on as the MCU Wolverine, recast everyone else. They’re all expendable except for Hugh and Reynolds. Stewart sadly aged out.

For as happy as folks were for Disney to finally have control of the X-Men and bring them into the MCU because of how much they disliked Fox's decisions, they sure seem to be unable to let go of the actors.

I mean, wouldn't you want a completely fresh slate? Hell, I'm sure if Ryan Reynolds wasn't coming back as Deadpool, fans wouldn't mind that either because they'd be all in on whoever Marvel Studios cast in the role.

How does this disprove my Gut Feeling posts? LMAO

Just FYI I’m going to be here to serve you some crow when he is confirmed for the MCU ;).
When this multiverse business started coming up, I’m sure Jackman was one of the first names that were brought up. You can at least admit that he will likely be joining the MCU in some sort of multiverse scenario right?

not "Keeping Jackman is the most logical option" lol.
this is a new level of "fanboyism". Apparently 17 years leading a franchise and dying on that universe wasnt enough for some fans. yiiiiiiiiiiikes

And some should check out what a reboot really means.

Just FYI I’m going to be here to serve you some crow when he is confirmed for the MCU ;)
Ok. And I've been here since 2008, and even before that when the site was called Spider-manHype.Com in the early aughts. To quote you guys: Who cares? :huh: Honestly this whole post and the other one I quoted has the same energy as the posts from the Dark Phoenix people who told us "Just watch, Dark Phoenix will be "Fresh" and Simon Kinberg will be hired by Disney to oversee the MCU X-Men!"

Ok. And I've been here since 2008, and even before that when the site was called Spider-manHype.Com in the early aughts. To quote you guys: Who cares? :huh: Honestly this whole post and the other one I quoted sound like the Dark Phoenix people who told us "Just watch, Simon Kinberg will hired by Disney to oversee the MCU X-Men!"
My previous acct Rorschach2012 was registered in 2006, son. Don’t flex on an OG.

You’ll see though. He’s joining, the only questions are how and when. Will he be the permanent MCU Wolverine or just a multiverse Wolverine. That’s the real question.

Lol the point I'm making is that Jackman is absolutely still on the table. Your point seems to be that he can't be on the table because he chose to make a "swan song" movie at a time when the X-Men could not EXIST in the MCU.

Things change. People change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"