Metal Gear Solid Saga: Who are The Patriots?

Binker said:
Even though we have clues to who they are that could be "solid" or not, from Sons of Liberty to Snake Eater to even the recent Portable Ops, even I'm really up in the air as to who or what they are.

I was playing MGS2 and when the AI Colonel and Rose were talking, at first I thought "well maybe that was an AI that was basically controlled by the Patriots". But then how they talked, I then thought "maybe THEY are the Patriots". Maybe, like SKYNET from the Terminator movie, they created an AI to help them but it ended up becoming self-aware that it ended up becoming the ruler of the country and to avoid the threat of nuclear war on themselves, the government had no choice to but "obey".

But then when you go back to MGS3; we find out about their original name of The Philosophers and that they were a group of leaders of the USA, Russia & China who acted as rulers to the entire world. And what that told me was maybe when the United States got the Legacy and became the Patriots, they became greedy as they were now "kings" and thats why they are what they are now in the games set in the modern world. Just look at the music video of the song "Land of Confusion" by Distrubed. The powerful people could stand in for the Patriots, the big billionaire standing in for their greed, and what happens to the world being the causes of their power. Farfected, I know.

Then theres Portable Ops [and MGS4] which don't really do anything in terms of helping about the "people pulling the strings". Ocelot, at the end, what he says is questionable as we don't know if he is referring to the Patriots or FOXHOUND. If it is the Patriots, then it goes to what maybe the reason why we saw Big Boss on the promotional poster for MGS4. What if Big Boss was brought back after Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and in turn, HE is the Patriots?

Now I know you're gonna say "that is stupid", but hear me out:

Big Boss created Outer Heaven because of the events of MGS3. He didn't weant soliders to be ruled over and their lives being screwed by greedy purporses by killing their own for BS. Now going back to what the AIs said in MGS2, if Big Boss was behind the Patriots, then the reason why the GW system was to control people's lives might what would be by The Boss and her life and what lead to her decided death. Maybe Big Boss would want everyone, 100% of the world, to be happy. To not go to war and fight, to live. As for the soliders in the military; thats where Metal Gears come in. This alone would make Big Boss a selfish man, but for anyone to eperience the events in Snake Eater, I guess we would too if we had that power. And I know this is crazy. Thats why I called it a theory.

So what do you think the Patriots are? Is it what I said above or something different in your mind?

Bravo. Very good post. I actually think that Big Boss and Ocelot are apart of the Patriots. I think with the Legacy that the Patriots revived Big Boss and so that explains him being in MGS4.

The Patriots, based on the ending of Portable Ops (My opinion):

Major Zero, Ocelot, and Big Boss.

Don't buy it. If that was the case, then why would Big Boss still make Outer Heaven.

What I posted above seems to be what The Patriots really are.

Binker said:
Don't buy it. If that was the case, then why would Big Boss still make Outer Heaven.

What I posted above seems to be what The Patriots really are.

Big Boss created Outer Heaven as a nation of soldiers and mercenaries. He did this because he was disgusted seeing the United States, the Soviet Union, and other nations treat their soldiers like crap, making them do things such as being test subjects for experimentation, go through ill planned operations, etc. He was disgusted seeing groups like the Philosophers and the Patriots and people like Volgin and Gene seeing their soldiers as nothing more than mere pawns who's lives can easily be thrown away no matter how great or poor their abilities were.

The United States, the Soviet Union, the Patriots, the Philosophers, Gene, and Volgin. They were all the same to Big Boss, these groups, nations, and people saw soldiers as tools, not as warriors, tools to be used to further advance their own personal goals.

Gene wanted to create a shadow underground organization called Army's Heaven. Gene was going to use this organization to intervene in conflicts all over the world. The organization would no longer allow the world to be used for national interests and political gambits, but use a force of arms to achieve a force of will. However, Gene beleived in the manipulation, deception, and exploitation of soldiers. The individual was nothing. Big Boss beleived that the idea place for soldiers was outside of this so called "heaven." Hence the name Outer Heaven.

The ideal of a nation of soldiers was created by Army's Heaven, but Outer Heaven expanded into a land of soldiers. A place where they were not tools and pawns, but warriors. He obtained the money to fund this new nation from Gene after he realised that he was inferior to Big Boss.

That was why and how Big Boss founded Outer Heaven.

Perhaps Big Boss joins the Patriots for a short time and then quits in disgust on how they view soldiers. Perhaps he refused their invitation. We need another interquel that takes place between Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and Metal Gear to find out. Or maybe Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots will tell us.

Boom said:
The Patriots, based on the ending of Portable Ops (My opinion):

Major Zero, Ocelot, and Big Boss.

I agree with the last two. I haven't played PO, so I can't say for Zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"