Dark of the Moon Michael Bay has killed Transformers for me - Part 1

This is the only thing I've ever heard bay say about the voice casting...

old video
[YT]aJKGAZO4beI[/YT]

@1:50 Like any quote it can be manipulated to suit my views, but realistically it means the obvious.

Holy crap that gave me goose bumps

Neat Quote: "I can't imagine anyone else as Optimus Prime".
- Michael Bay

This is the only thing I've ever heard bay say about the voice casting...

old video
[YT]aJKGAZO4beI[/YT]

@1:50 Like any quote it can be manipulated to suit my views, but realistically it means the obvious.
That video is pretty interesting. Makes me appreciate the first film more. All this talk about how it was 'the fans' who got this guy or that guy cast is pretty silly. Tom Brady thanks the fans all the time for wins, but no one ever credits the guy wearing blue and white face paint for the games that they win.:dry:

That video is pretty interesting. Makes me appreciate the first film more. All this talk about how it was 'the fans' who got this guy or that guy cast is pretty silly. Tom Brady thanks the fans all the time for wins, but no one ever credits the guy wearing blue and white face paint for the games that they win.:dry:

how dare you undermine the power of face painting:cmad:

he wasnt wearing facepaint when they lost against the Jets

Holy crap that gave me goose bumps

To be fair, even Hitler would sound inspiring if played over jablonski's autobot theme

[YT]aIRf0caWmU0[/YT]

I just hope part 3 brings us more of the same, Sadly I must admit the score in the second left a lot to be desired.

well I was talking about Cullen but thats ok too

Not to sound crass, but of course he's going to pay the fans lip-service, they've only been buying toys of "him" for twenty some odd years now. I'd be pretty grateful too, considering, without Prime, he'd have been far less successful. As Marvin, Hotwire and I have all said, these articles hardly prove Bay was opposed to using the original voice actors, or that he was "forced" to give them an audition, or that 'the fanbase' was the reason he got cast (because that same fanbase was clearly unable to get Welker recast as Megatron). Don Murphy, the producer, was lobbying for Cullen as far back as 2004 when they were going through script drafts and no director was attached. Bay admittedly wasn't a Transformers fan, and considering his age I doubt he knew Cullen from my left foot when he signed on. Even in their first meeting Bay didn't know Cullen was just a voice actor.

I doubt its "lip service" since as you said yourself, Peter wasnt part of the franchise for close to 25 years.Outside of conventions he had part of Optimus Prime since the 80's.

And his statements were quite clear.So were Bays.

If it werent for the auditions Cullen would not have gotten the part.
And the only reason he got to audition was the fan base pressure.
I've seen no article that states anything remotely close to this
then prehapes you havent done enough research.

Neat Quote: "I can't imagine anyone else as Optimus Prime".
- Michael Bay

"lip service"....same thing he did when he said how good he felt ROTF was.

If this were how he really felt there wouldnt have been a need for Peter to do 3 auditions.

Last edited:
I doubt its "lip service" since as you said yourself, Peter wasnt part of the franchise for close to 25 years.Outside of conventions he had part of Optimus Prime since the 80's.

And his statements were quite clear.So were Bays.
Almost all actors thank "the fans" at some point. It's not as profoundly meaningful as you seem to think it is. Of course "the fans" have something to do with Cullen's continued involvement in Transformers. That's a completely uncontroversial statement. It's like crediting "the fans" for a Football team winning. Or like Chris Claremont thanking "the fans" for making X-Men so popular. Or Christopher Nolan thanking "the fans" for making him millions of dollars.
If it werent for the auditions Cullen would not have gotten the part.
And the only reason he got to audition was the fan base pressure.
then prehapes you havent done enough research.
This is a logical fallacy. Assuming "if that, therefore". There is no proof of any of these statements. If it weren't for auditions no actor would get any part, ever. And before you say "well, there was this one actor that...", actors have to audition at some point, usually multiple times. John Stamos was on the radio this morning talking about auditioning for new sitcoms.
"lip service"....same thing he did when he said how good he felt ROTF was.
No, we're just doing the same thing you've been doing. Taking quotes and shoehorning them into opinions of Bay's Transformer movies. See how that works.
If this were how he really felt there wouldnt have been a need for Peter to do 3 auditions.
Do you know anything about acting, or movies in general:huh: There's nothing remotely odd about having multiple auditions, even if he had voiced the character before that. By the by, one of those auditions he also tried out for the voice of Ironhide.

Almost all actors thank "the fans" at some point. It's not as profoundly meaningful as you seem to think it is.

At no time was Cullens "thanks" , his feelings and the merit of it all the point of my post .

The point was what he said in his statements.And t was his clear acknowledgment that if not for the outcry of the fans he would not have been given the autiotion.

There is no proof of any of these statements.
Just because you havent found the proof does not mean it doesnt exist.

And as I already have stated, Cullen has said in several interviews that it was the fan base that got him the auditions.
If it weren't for auditions no actor would get any part, ever.
Thats not always true, but I accept that as the norm.
No, we're just doing the same thing you've been doing. Taking quotes and shoehorning them into opinions of Bay's Transformer movies. See how that works.
Problem is that I'm not giving an opinion.

I'm reporting on things the actor has said in interviews.

Do you know anything about acting, or movies in general:huh:
Actually I do....admittedly very little..

But thats completely irrelevant to my point.My point is that Bays actions are in conflict with his claims.

Your right, theres nothing odd about having an actor do multiple auditions....when your not sure of him.

But when director claims "he cant imagine anyone else in the part", then he must have been sure.

And his audition for Ironhide was a separate audition on one of his call backs for Prime.

Last edited:
But when director claims "he cant imagine anyone else in the part", then he must have been sure.
Or he is, now. This could be the opinion he came to after hearing Cullen do the voice.

The only place I know for a fact that he said it was on the first DVD in the commentary. I don't know if he had competition at all, but I know he said it was the fans that got him to give him a chance and he said they were completely right. And then I don't know he mentioned Welker in that same time frame or later, but I recall a brief special feature on the voice of Megatron.

Hugo Weaving still doesn't work as Megatron. It was bad celebrity stunt casting.

I disagree. Weaving is fantastic as Megatron. His voice really suits his beastly appearence. When he broke free in TF1 i was really scared because of the build up to that point. And then when he chased Sam in that building... OMG he was amazing. Its Welker that i dont like as Megs but he has nostalgia going for him. Just compare:

Last edited:
I disagree. Weaving is fantastic as Megatron. His voice really suits his beastly appearence. When he broke free in TF1 i was really scared because of the build up to that point. And then when he chased Sam in that building... OMG he was amazing. Its Welker that i dont like as Megs but he has nostalgia going for him. Just compare:

I refuse to say any voice is scary much like I refuse to say any alcoholic beverage is fruity (I work as a bar tender). I will say (While the nothing in the movies scared me) when he chased Sam through the building I had reminders from one of my only haunted house experiences. I was cared out on my mind and all I heard was some guy saying "I'm coming to get you boy." More proof that sometimes you don't need to be over the top to get the job done.

DSCF1100.jpg

Th Funny story is even though I **** on G1 my entire collection is G1 (Not pictured: Omega Supreme, Windsweeper, Thunderwing, Skullgrin, Iguanus, and most of the rest of them...Trailbreaker is missing to I think)

DSCF1100.jpg

Th Funny story is even though I **** on G1 my entire collection is G1 (Not pictured: Omega Supreme, Windsweeper, Thunderwing, Skullgrin, Iguanus, and most of the rest of them...Trailbreaker is missing to I think)

i know who's house im gonna rob:woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"