Michael Giacchino WILL score The Batman

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Invader Joker, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

Gorgeous score. Emotional, dark, and mysterious.

I'd just like to say that I'm one of those people who relates very heavily to Hans Zimmers theme. Batman Begins came out when I was about 12, so for my generation, that was THE Batman theme, even though I was already a huge fan of Shirley Walkers TAS theme and Elfmans theme before then. I feel like Zimmers will always hold a special place in my heart for that reason. I think What Giacchino is doing is sort of a celebration of everything but in particular Shirley Walkers music. so far, I'm loving what I'm hearing.

2. Chip Chipperson the big guy

Me, at the gym today:

802D6721-6A61-4D23-9FEF-00560C7AE03A.jpeg

3. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

There's something very ominous about the theme that gives an operatic feel that builds into a traumpth score.

DKDetective likes this.
  4. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

The sound of the brass itself seems to harken back to Walker to me. I believe the technique to get that harsh, overblown brassy tone is called cuivre and I'm pretty sure you can find that all over BTAS. And I'm also hearing more stuff getting into the higher trumpet range, which Walker did a lot of. Zimmer and Elfman tended to be all about the French horns with the strings carrying the higher stuff. I'm also curious if there's anything about the way they recorded or mixed it to get it to sound kind of retro, because that's the vibe I get.

5. LvtLeeTDK Fullmetal Alchemist

Sounds great. But tbh, I still prefer this one. The melody sounds better IMO.

6. Doctor Jones Super Moderator

I love the theme. I didn't expect it to get like that. It just distills the appeal and spirit of Bruce and Batman. Despite the tragedy and darkness to the character, at his core he's a hero. You could put it in a montage of all the Batman films and it would be very consistent. Even when the main theme kicks in at the end, everything from before rounds it out to kind of recontextualize it as triumphant. The first half has sounds of what might be a little like the Wayne family theme? Like it has some history to it.

I wish there was more to that first half because it's surprisingly emotional and beautiful, hopefully there's more on the full soundtrack!

#256 Doctor Jones, Jan 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Jermobooka, Mo Al, Rick190293 and 3 others like this.
  7. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

From Wikipedia:
    Hrmm, I think you nailed it. Great call! :up:

J.Drangal likes this.
  8. DeadlyWest A Flare in the Darkness (he/him/his)

To be fair, that's still gonna be in the movie and is even present in the last 2 minutes. They probably went with the more hopeful medley because we've heard this so much in every single trailer.

DKDetective likes this.
  9. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

Agreed and the use of the tubular bells for that Gothic church bell sound is just...
    :atp:

I highly recommend that everyone listen to this on the best track on the best sound system and source available to them. I listened on my phone last night when it was first released and I missed sooo much. I just listened to it on Tidal from the lossless FLAC file on my 5.1 THX speakers and it is like night and day. There are so many subtle things going on...

10. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

I've literally listened to the score like 8 times now.

Jermobooka and Rick190293 like this.
  11. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

Yep, people need to remember that this is soundtrack medley/suite. It is not an exact copy of anyone cue from the film, but rather an amalgam of a few of the Bruce Wayne cues from the film put together. It's like the "I'm Not A Hero" Bruce/Batman suite from the TDK soundtrack.

12. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

I think, most importantly, the theme song being so memorable already is such a massive win. It's not easy to compose an iconic comic book film score, especially for a character that has so many iconic themes already.

13. DeadlyWest A Flare in the Darkness (he/him/his)

Possibly, but I also reckon it could be to The Batman what "Finale" is to Batman 89. I could definitely see this more triumphant medley playing over the ending, then cut to black and roll credits as The Batman Theme reaches its crescendo

Jermobooka and TheGDBatman like this.
  14. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

Could be, but the breaks between the different segments suggest to me that it is not one cue. For instance, there is a complete stop of the heroic theme at about 4min and then the main leitmotiff starts completely from scratch.

15. DeadlyWest A Flare in the Darkness (he/him/his)

Actually, now that I think about it, it could be the heroic theme is the ending music and the main leitmotif is what plays for the credits, too.

16. Doctor Jones Super Moderator

You could play that heroic section against the final shot of Batman '89 and it would play great!

Jermobooka likes this.
  17. Gold Samurai Registered

The first part sounds like Batman is close to dying. He's been out all night trying to stop the Riddler but he perseveres.

At 1:37 you feel like you'll be rooting for him to

"GET....UP!"

"You can't stop now!"

"Muster all your strength to push on!"

Jermobooka, signalman and Rick190293 like this.
  18. chintai80 oh hi.

i really like what giacchino did with the star trek 2009 soundtrack, esp the end credits:

^ parts of this is reminiscent of the giant robo score, which is one of my favorite anime soundtracks.
    there's a bit of an old school retro vibe to his music. but i think that's cool.

so i'm hyped for what he's bringin for the batman.

#268 chintai80, Jan 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Chip Chipperson likes this.
  19. Lando81 Harmenian

The more I listen to the score the more I fall in love. It has a certain “triumphant” sound to it that Batman hasn’t had since Walker and Elfman. He’s using those horns and bells to great effect and I’m glad we’re getting a score that isn’t more Zimmer/Inception.

Jermobooka and J.Drangal like this.
  20. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

One thing I'm waiting to see is how Giacchino is going to be able modulate this theme and deliver it in new contexts. That's one of the markers of a truly good theme for me.

Zimmer was doing this constantly with a lot of his themes, changing how the two-note "Bat-call" resolved in different scenarios, expanding on the themes with each film. Or stuff like how the original "Mollosus" theme from Begins originates with the notes the solo choir boy sings after the Waynes are murdered (and again when Bruce 'dies' in Rises). These are fantastic things you can do when you have a melody that you can play around with.

And I think Elfman's body of work as a whole on the character sometimes gets massively overlooked by fans too. Even if you want to say Walker's theme was superior (I can get on board with that) he brought a LOT to the character beyond just the main title version of the theme. Descent into Mystery, Finale re-contextualize the theme in epic fashion and are all-timer Batman tracks. Not to mention the entire Batman Returns score being a masterpiece.

I really do like a lot what I'm hearing so far, but my one concern is I think the theme does feel a bit repetitive. It's a great build-up, but it's something you can only do so many times in a film without feeling bludgeoned over the head IMO. I'm kind of surprised tbh that Giacchino didn't go ahead and write a lead melody for the theme or some kind of counter part, and instead opted for layering octaves on a simple "riff". Obviously reserving judgment until I see the final film, and there's always a chance he evolves it over time. But for the type of composer Giacchino is, I am a bit surprised to not get something that feels more fleshed out right out the gate.

Full disclosure, music production/composing is a big passion of mine, so I like to get a bit in the weeds on this stuff. I'm stealing this post from a composer forum because it perfectly sums up about how I feel so far about Giacchino's use of minimalism vs. what I think worked particularly well about Zimmer/JNH's:

I like it more than this person, but I also 100% know what he means. Zimmer's version makes you really ache for it to resolve on that VI chord and it feels so satisfying when it finally kicks in with that huge swell. The new theme hits you with it repeatedly. There's also the fact that a lot of average listeners are saying it reminds them a bit too much of the Imperial March. Of course, both are based on Chopin's funeral march. But I think when both take that influence and blow it out into something so bombastic, the comparison is inevitable.

#270 BatLobster, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    Jermobooka and Rick190293 like this.
  21. Rick190293 Registered

I agree with you that the main theme is a litle repetitive, althrough it fits perfectly the tone, and is very catchy. And when you compare to Giacchino's Spidey soundtracks (wich I love), is much simpler and more minimalist.

22. Blade Hoarder Registered

Elfman was a master of doing that.

23. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Oh yeah, definitely. I think one thing Zimmer definitely took notes from with Elfman is building out those moments where the theme resolves in a big satisfying swell. Thinking stuff like the Bat signal moment in Returns, Bruce being surrounded by the bats in Begins, etc. Goldenthal did it in the Schumacher films too.

Hoping Giacchino will deliver something similar to that. His theme has a great pulse and driving rhythm to it, but I want to hear him play more with tension and release. The theme, ideally should be able to do more than just get louder. Or maybe he's going to have some secondary themes up his sleeve. Curious if the more heroic stuff in the track is more for the Bruce side of things or if there are elements of that he can ramp up for Batman.

#273 BatLobster, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  24. cryptic name No Limits

Any word on when the OST goes up for preorder?

25. Sawyer High King