Microsoft E3 2009

Yep, that's a good part of it as well. I don't really get what's so appealing to that. To me, it's like saying you want to somehow digitally put yourself in the movies and TV shows you watch or something

Um, thats almost exactly what a game is tho. You play Fallout 3, you create a character and input them into that virtual world. You make decisions that reflects what you want to do. This is a natural progression of that, or well it could be. The whole point of games like Fallout 3 is to put you into that world.

I've played them both a little, they are ok I guess, but you're right I don't play them much.

Well i dont either, but its the same concept. They give you a "guitar" and you "play" the songs.

I'm totally with Teardrop. I have no interest in acting out video game scenarios in my living room.

You can already do that with Wii, but the difference with Project Natal is that you don't need a Wiimote and Nunchuk to do it.

I was blown away by Microsoft, I didn't get that same feeling for Nintendo and Sony.

In full disclosure, I only own a 360 and a DSi, so really they'd have to blow me away to make me go "Well maybe I should buy a PS3 or Wii."
Sorry Darth, missed your post.

It doesn't matter what you were impressed with. It was a surprise. Modcar Racing was another surprise title as well.

Full disclosure, I own a Wii, 360, PSP, and DSi. I'm also not one who's rooting for 360 over PS3. I feel that gamers need both cause they push each other to outdo and outcreate the other and in the end it for the most part it benefits us.

That being said. If you want to argue semantics, yes Sony did have a few surprises. But nothing along the lines of Microsoft snagging a Metal Gear game or Natal.

I'd kind of hate that. Games like Oblivion and Fallout work because of their stories for me. Remove the scripted responses and you lose the story.

Now, the full-body control scheme could be fun. But overall, like Teardrop, I'm content with my button-tastic controllers.

Thats where i feel those games could use help. You only have so many responses. There have been times where i want to ask something in Fallout but that option doest appear. I think games like that will only get deeper until the point where you are actually asking the character about how to escape from Vault 101, instead of being told thats what you should say.

Um, thats almost exactly what a game is tho. You play Fallout 3, you create a character and input them into that virtual world. You make decisions that reflects what you want to do. This is a natural progression of that, or well it could be. The whole point of games like Fallout 3 is to put you into that world.

I find I'm put well into these worlds without actually speaking to NPCs on my screen, as well not pretending I'm using my weapon with my actual hands.

Plus, the point that Corp brought up on story is good point

Natal is the future of gaming IMO, whether that be 10 months or 10 years away. Interactive gaming is going to happen and we better get used to it. Or we can play Counter Strike forever. Either one is cool.

Thats where i feel those games could use help. You only have so many responses. There have been times where i want to ask something in Fallout but that option doest appear. I think games like that will only get deeper until the point where you are actually asking the character about how to escape from Vault 101, instead of being told thats what you should say.
Fair enough, but on the other hand, I don't really want to have to wade through an hour-long conversation with someone to get the kernel of information I need to progress through the story, either. Yes, you can see the artifice when interacting with scripted AI characters, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Not every character in every video game needs to be Skynet's little brother.

Full disclosure, I own a Wii, 360, PSP, and DSi. I'm also not one who's rooting for 360 over PS3. I feel that gamers need both cause they push each other to outdo and outcreate the other and in the end it for the most part it benefits us.

That being said. If you want to argue semantics, yes Sony did have a few surprises. But nothing along the lines of Microsoft snagging a Metal Gear game or Natal.

I never, at any point, implied who's side you were on, but you basically said that Sony had no surprises originally, correct? I was just saying that wasn't true. I didn't care about anyone's position on anything, I was just saying.

Also, Natal was not a surprise. Metal Gear was, yeah big one at that, but we knew that MS was planning a motion-based device almost 3 months before their conference started. We even had picture leaks of it if I recall correctly that ended up being spot on

Fair enough, but on the other hand, I don't really want to have to wade through an hour-long conversation with someone to get the kernel of information I need to progress through the story, either. Yes, you can see the artifice when interacting with scripted AI characters, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Not every character in every video game needs to be Skynet's little brother.

Yea and i dont think it would have to. Surely we woulndt be conversing with an NPC with full AI, but being able to play the game even more how you want to is, i think a big deal. Its a reason why i love games like Fallout and Mass Effect. You, in part, get to decide how you progress the story. This Natal could be the next step in that.

Assuming for a moment that Milo isn't just smoke and mirrors, do you have any idea how much extra time and money and hard work it would take to give every NPC in a game like Fallout 3 that level of personality and dialogue? It would be insane. It would take forever for a game like that to be made and probably cost hundreds of millions of dollars. No way would something like that fly.

Natal is the future of gaming IMO, whether that be 10 months or 10 years away. Interactive gaming is going to happen and we better get used to it. Or we can play Counter Strike forever. Either one is cool.

Or, we could drop out of the game all together and get laughed at for being stuck in the past, when really we are the ones who really 'get it'. Ask Thoreau, well if he wasn't dead:o

Assuming for a moment that Milo isn't just smoke and mirrors, do you have any idea how much extra time and money and hard work it would take to give every NPC in a game like Fallout 3 that level of personality and dialogue? It would be insane. It would take forever for a game like that to be made and probably cost hundreds of millions of dollars. No way would something like that fly.
If the games industry keeps selling as well as it has for the past ten years, we're probably heading into that territory anyway.

Youre right, right now. Thats not going to last tho, the gaming industry is growing by leaps every year. More money is coming in than ever before. Im not saying any of thise we will see in this console life cycle, im looking at the future of this industry.

G4 is showing Alan Wake footage again, that game is going to be so sick.

If the games industry keeps selling as well as it has for the past ten years, we're probably heading into that territory anyway.

Maybe so, but compare the sales of Fallout 3 to something like Wii Play and see which games are the ones that really sell. As I posted in another thread, Microsoft and Sony don't understand the appeal of motion control. The vast majority of people who have jumped on the gaming bandwagon with the Wii don't want deep and complex experiences. They're just looking to have some simple fun for a little while.

I'd kind of hate that. Games like Oblivion and Fallout work because of their stories for me. Remove the scripted responses and you lose the story.

Now, the full-body control scheme could be fun. But overall, like Teardrop, I'm content with my button-tastic controllers.

Interesting considering you seem to like Mass Effect.

I did, but I don't understand what that has to do with my comment. Mass Effect did have a script. Plenty of dialogue options, but still, at its core, there was a script and a story.
Maybe so, but compare the sales of Fallout 3 to something like Wii Play and see which games are the ones that really sell. As I posted in another thread, Microsoft and Sony don't understand the appeal of motion control. The vast majority of people who have jumped on the gaming bandwagon with the Wii don't want deep and complex experiences. They're just looking to have some simple fun for a little while.
They'd probably be drawn to the Natal for the full-body controls, then, wouldn't they?

I did, but I don't understand what that has to do with my comment. Mass Effect did have a script. Plenty of dialogue options, but still, at its core, there was a script and a story.
Yes but the dialogue options in Mass Effect are not the words spoken by the character. The dialogue options are meant to covey the overall feel and tone of response. A natal based game could easily be built the same way.

Also dynamism does not necessarily mean a lack of narrative. Western styled RPGs like the ones made by Bioware and Bethesda have shown to be largely dynamic while still having strong narratives and in many cases the dynamic nature of the stories seem to enhance the user experience.

I feel that people are actually reading too much one it.
At least, Microsoft enhanced what the Wii brought foward, and it has a lot of amazing potential.
But, let´s not be carried away, there is still, at least, 1 year and one name change before "project Natal" sees the light of day, so, who knows how it all will work in the end.

On a side note, did you guys realised that Halo: Reach is coming out Spring 2010?
Which might mean that there is going to be a Halo for the fall.
At this moment i´m going to give my prediction and say...PETER JACKSON´S HALO CHRONICLES

On a side note, did you guys realised that Halo: Reach is coming out Spring 2010?
Which might mean that there is going to be a Halo for the fall.
At this moment i´m going to give my prediction and say...PETER JACKSON´S HALO CHRONICLES

Two Halo's in one year, is that what you're saying?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"