Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Ming-Na Wen IS Agent Melinda May

Nothing politically correct about equality. It's just plain common sense. You just stop with that bigoted ********.

Could we have a little less knee jerk liberal politically correct whining in here? :doh::whatever:

Right now...you are coming off as the whiner. We get it. YOU don't think a middle aged woman should be seen on TV. You don't think a woman can do anything that comes close to what a MAN can do. We get it. We are sad for you. We encourage everyone to be able to express their opinion on here....until such opinions become trolling or are bigoted towards some segment of society. I suggest you think about this before you continue your rants.

Right now...you are coming off as the whiner. We get it. YOU don't think a middle aged woman should be seen on TV. You don't think a woman can do anything that comes close to what a MAN can do. We get it. We are sad for you. We encourage everyone to be able to express their opinion on here....until such opinions become trolling or are bigoted towards some segment of society. I suggest you think about this before you continue your rants.

Who's trolling here? You're the one with the multiple ad hominem attacks: whiner, trolling, bigoted, rants. :word:

Who polices the police? Politically correct censorship in full effect. Got it!

Who's trolling here?
You are.

You're the one with the multiple ad hominem attacks: whiner, trolling, bigoted, rants.
You have no idea what an attack is. Those are descriptions of your actions that can be read in this thread.

Who polices the police?
If you have a complaint, contact Hunter Rider, danoyse, or Kelly...they are the other administrators of the Hype.

Politically correct censorship in full effect.
There is a difference between being "politically correct" and not accepting bigotry towards a section of society.

If I wanted to "censor" you....I would simply delete your posts and ban you. I have instead left your bigoted rants ups and suggest you think about how you post in the future on the subject.

So far, you show no evidence that you have "got it".

VqBs9fo.gif

Let's see: pointing out that a 100 pound, 50 year old, 5'2" female is utterly implausible and ridiculously cast as an elite combat-ready field agent who is so adept at mauling super-soldiers and legions of elite military that she is referred to as 'the cavalry' is somehow "trolling?!?" OK, captain, you win that debate. No evidence required. All you have to say is that I have "hurt your feelings" for you to win that debate! No one call tell the truth around here, much less speak their opinion unless it is in alignment with the autocratic thought police. Fascist much?

Anyone who thinks that a show predicated upon the frailties and heroism of normal human soldiers must actually FOLLOW it's own premises, is a troll.

Anyone who thinks that using common sense and logic factoring in variables such as weight, height, strength, reach, and speed in assessing combat ability is a "troll."

Anyone who DOESN'T think that physical inferiority should be discounted in order to make way for ming-na wen to be cast as "the cavalry" is a "troll."

Therefore, anyone who thinks it's dumb to have may beat up ward, who is only a foot taller, has a wingspan advantage of at least a foot, is twice her weight, is half her age, and has superior strength, must be a "troll."

What's next? Should Stephen Hawking be cast as the next shield agent? Are we going to be called trolls when the writers decide that stephen hawking is going to beat up ward using the vibrational power of his voice synthesizer?

You can't have it both ways. You either start with the premise that these agents are superheroes, where we can forego any assumptions about the laws of physics, or we stick the original premise that these are normal human beings and start to respect the premise that size strength and age are important variables in determining combat ability.

But no, no, no, far easier to excuse the laziness and political correctness of the writers by calling their critics trolls. The fuhrer would be proud. :doh:

You are.

You have no idea what an attack is. Those are descriptions of your actions that can be read in this thread.

If you have a complaint, contact Hunter Rider, danoyse, or Kelly...they are the other administrators of the Hype.

There is a difference between being "politically correct" and not accepting bigotry towards a section of society.

If I wanted to "censor" you....I would simply delete your posts and ban you. I have instead left your bigoted rants ups and suggest you think about how you post in the future on the subject.

So far, you show no evidence that you have "got it".

I dunno, Audie Murphy was tiny, and he was a literal one man army. Is this realistic? No. But so much implausible stuff happens, a relatively small woman kicking ass is pretty low on the list.

You're taking this waaaaaay too seriously.

I dunno, Audie Murphy was tiny, and he was a literal one man army. Is this realistic? No. But so much implausible stuff happens, a relatively small woman kicking ass is pretty low on the list.

You're taking this waaaaaay too seriously.

Not really. Just pointing out bad writing when I see it.

Can't be much out there you enjoy then, if this is your criteria for bad writing.

And for the record, this show is full of bad writing, I just don't really see this as an instance.

I find the show entertaining. I even find the may character to be entertaining because it's so badly written, conceived and cast that it's laughable.

It's a crappy tv show and dumbed down entertainment, but I find it interesting enough for my own reasons.

Let's see: pointing out that a 100 pound, 50 year old, 5'2" female is utterly implausible and ridiculously cast as an elite combat-ready field agent who is so adept at mauling super-soldiers and legions of elite military that she is referred to as 'the cavalry' is somehow "trolling?!?" OK, captain, you win that debate. No evidence required. All you have to say is that I have "hurt your feelings" for you to win that debate! No one call tell the truth around here, much less speak their opinion unless it is in alignment with the autocratic thought police. Fascist much?

Anyone who thinks that a show predicated upon the frailties and heroism of normal human soldiers must actually FOLLOW it's own premises, is a troll.

Anyone who thinks that using common sense and logic factoring in variables such as weight, height, strength, reach, and speed in assessing combat ability is a "troll."

Anyone who DOESN'T think that physical inferiority should be discounted in order to make way for ming-na wen to be cast as "the cavalry" is a "troll."

Therefore, anyone who thinks it's dumb to have may beat up ward, who is only a foot taller, has a wingspan advantage of at least a foot, is twice her weight, is half her age, and has superior strength, must be a "troll."

What's next? Should Stephen Hawking be cast as the next shield agent? Are we going to be called trolls when the writers decide that stephen hawking is going to beat up ward using the vibrational power of his voice synthesizer?

You can't have it both ways. You either start with the premise that these agents are superheroes, where we can forego any assumptions about the laws of physics, or we stick the original premise that these are normal human beings and start to respect the premise that size strength and age are important variables in determining combat ability.

But no, no, no, far easier to excuse the laziness and political correctness of the writers by calling their critics trolls. The fuhrer would be proud. :doh:
I've had enough of you. Once someone brings up Hitler in a discussion like that, they prove they are just an internet troll. There went any credibility that you my have had. Now your trollishness sticks out like a sore thumb. Like Thundercrack alluded to, you really need to put your prejudices aside and look at the real world for a minute. There are plenty of examples of small and or older people being able to do more than just bake pies for the "warriors".

I suggest you look up Audie Murphy. A man so small (he was short and underweight) he was originally turned down for military service....and became the most decorated soldier of WWII for multiple examples of extreme bravery and fortitude.

Pre or post-Super Soldier Serum? :oldrazz:

The only thing I'm going to add is that, the physical stats of an actor are often *not* the intended physical stats of the character they *play*. In the actual show, Maye is filmed and portrayed as being roughly the same size as Coulson. Whether Ming-Na Wen is actually that big or not is just as irrelevant as whether she's actually a combat trained martial artist.

Shield has different standards than the military .
It is not about age height or gender.
it is about EVERYTHING that you bring to the table .

Shield has different standards than the military .
It is not about age height or gender.
it is about EVERYTHING that you bring to the table .

You're right. They have much higher standards than normal military. They are supposed to be the last line of defense for humanity before the superheroes get involved.

Which is why they have a 100 pound, 50 year old lady as the last line of defense (ie the cavalry) for the last line of defense. Makes sense to me.

And that's why coulson has a hacktivist traitor flying around the world with them. Because she's funny. And hot. Makes sense to me too.

The only thing I'm going to add is that, the physical stats of an actor are often *not* the intended physical stats of the character they *play*. In the actual show, Maye is filmed and portrayed as being roughly the same size as Coulson. Whether Ming-Na Wen is actually that big or not is just as irrelevant as whether she's actually a combat trained martial artist.

If only that sentence made any sense. Wen wears heels on the show: I don't know how wearing heels has anything to do with filming or portrayal.

Her size IS relevant. Height is roughly proportional with leg and arm length, and with strength. Size is very roughly proportional with strength. Gender and strength and correlated. Age and strength are very, very roughly correlated.

The more boxes you tick off for a person having a potential physical disadvantage, the less plausible the character becomes. If you have to tick off EVERY box, AND the fight sequences look completely unrealistic, then it's tough to buy that character as being a competent, or even skilled martial artist.

In this case, May is not supposed to be competent or skilled. She is supposed to be "the cavalry." Not buyin' it.

Audie Murphy was a man, not a woman, served when he was 20, not 50, and fought with a gun, rather than with his bare hands.

Last time I checked, height was irrelevant for shooting someone. In hand to hand, height, weight, age, wingspan, arm length, speed, and of course gender, are important variables. None of them alone discount you from becoming a great fighter; however, the more disadvantaged you are, the lower the probability of winning any given fight. If you are disadvantaged in each and every variable, then it becomes as implausible as possible.

Could stephen hawking be plausibly cast as a character called the cavalry, renowned for superior skills in hand to hand combat? Why not? If I say so, I am obviously a "troll," and "prejudiced," according to you.

A laughable assertion, and as I have said before, it is simply politically correct delusion.

You can name call all you want (you are moderator of course), but no amount of ad hominem can overcome common sense.

I've had enough of you. Once someone brings up Hitler in a discussion like that, they prove they are just an internet troll. There went any credibility that you my have had. Now your trollishness sticks out like a sore thumb. Like Thundercrack alluded to, you really need to put your prejudices aside and look at the real world for a minute. There are plenty of examples of small and or older people being able to do more than just bake pies for the "warriors".

I suggest you look up Audie Murphy. A man so small (he was short and underweight) he was originally turned down for military service....and became the most decorated soldier of WWII for multiple examples of extreme bravery and fortitude.

Disregarding super powers for a moment, this is still a world where a dedicated but otherwise normal everyday person can elevate themselves to levels of physicality that are clearly impossible in our world. And I would stress that the MCU is in fact NOT our world and as such our laws of physics don't necessarily apply to it's inhabitants.

Frankly it's kind of baffling to me that someone would take such issue with this but hey, internet.

Also, like, skill and speed both count for a lot when it comes to fight. Yes, the stock phrase of "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" is over used and a bit naive, but if you'e faster and just plain better than the people you come up against, your size does start to matter less.

Like, this guy talked about two MMA fighters of roughly the same skill, one man and one woman, who sparred and the man completely dominated. Except that they were sparring, it wasn't an actual fight, and roughly the same skill isn't the same as "a mind blowingly good fighter who compensates for her relative lack of size and strength with speed and skill."

Physically, yeah, women do have a slight disadvantage. But those who are truly exceptional can compensate for those disadvantages.

I try to be very open around here, but I really disliked that guy. There's only 3 or 4 people I've seen on the boards that really grind my gears either trying to discuss with them or reading their discussions with others and he was one of them. No need to bring up a point and say the same exact things over and over and over, we get it, you don't like something but you can't make everyone else hate it too haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"