Minor Thor Bits

Still A ThorFan

Sidekick
Reaction score
I found this. Just sheds a little light on the most recent draft of the script, some of you probably know already, but here goes

Wowzers. I'm reading Mark Protosevich's April draft of the script (Vaughn says he and the writer just finished up a new draft a week or so ago), and it's flat out epic fantasy, with the only trips to Midgard (ie, Earth) involving Vikings. It's a big, big movie.

Whatever happens in the new draft (has Vaughn inserted any Dr. Don Blake stuff? The April draft is free of standard superheroics, which is pretty cool),

But I do think that a big, fantastical and sweeping Thor movie would be just the kind of thing to separate this project from every other superhero movie being churned out these days.

I found this. Just sheds a little light on the most recent draft of the script, some of you probably know already, but here goes

Wowzers. I'm reading Mark Protosevich's April draft of the script (Vaughn says he and the writer just finished up a new draft a week or so ago), and it's flat out epic fantasy, with the only trips to Midgard (ie, Earth) involving Vikings. It's a big, big movie.

Whatever happens in the new draft (has Vaughn inserted any Dr. Don Blake stuff? The April draft is free of standard superheroics, which is pretty cool),

But I do think that a big, fantastical and sweeping Thor movie would be just the kind of thing to separate this project from every other superhero movie being churned out these days.

Only thing is, if all the characters are immortals and all-powerful acient warriors, who is the viewer to identify with?

Oh come on. What movie goer really sits there and gets all into a movie like that?

But if that is the case just because one is immortal doesn't mean we can't relate. They'll probably have the same problems we do, to a point.

That's where the wonders of meaphore come in, buddy boy. The strife of mythical figures are often allegorical for the strife of man anyway. Thor ma be a nigh indestructible Viking god, but that doesn't mean we can't relate to him. He goes through all the same emotions that we humans do. And remember, the Asgardians are fully capable of dying, so they are not unfamiliar with loss.

I'm really not sure who would **** a chicken if they couldn't "relate" to a character in a comic book movie. I didnt pick up a thor comic and say gee that thor is neato, but I feel more like don blake. NO instead i saw thor and I said that is badass. I wanna see full on godlike thor hit someone with a hammer.

I'm really not sure who would **** a chicken if they couldn't "relate" to a character in a comic book movie. I didnt pick up a thor comic and say gee that thor is neato, but I feel more like don blake. NO instead i saw thor and I said that is badass. I wanna see full on godlike thor hit someone with a hammer.

TESTIFY!

What do you think was the point of Shia LaBeouf in Transfomers?

Well, some people like things for their stories and characterization, not the "badassery" of said character.

I don't understand why some people need to relate to these characters. I like a lot of characters because of how much they're NOT like me.

Exactly! :woot:

Anyways, any recent info on the production? When will they start shooting do you think?
Impatience is not a virtue, you know and IMDB says late 2007/early 2008, so...:o

What do you think was the point of Shia LaBeouf in Transfomers?

To annoy the **** out of me, same with Megan Fox. I didn't need teens, nor do I relate with them and heck I AM a teen.

Shia and Megs were there to draw a crowd as most find her eye-candy and he is hollywood's latest golden boy. Even writing it they probably weren't thinking "Give me a solid protagonist!" they were thinking "Who can we slap into this movie?"

...Then again you can over look my opinion as I am in the camp that absolutely cannot find a redeeming quality of the film.... outside of ILM's great visual presentation and even then I am annoyed by the artistic direction in the bots appearance.

People can "relate" to Thor in his trials set forth by Odin to become worthy enough to handle Mjolnir. Or is that not in the film

Well from what I understand there is a type of trial for the worthiness, just really not what you'd expect.

I'm reminded of the comedian, I cant recall his name, who lampooned the a$$hats in the theatre going on about the "metaphor of the characterization", interrupting with an air horn and the cry, "IT'S NOT A METAPHORE!! IT'S A F&%^ING MOVIE!!"

You dont always need a commentary on the human situation in a film. Sometimes its nice to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

with the only trips to Midgard (ie, Earth) involving Vikings

As much as a fan of the Vikings as I am, there still has to be at least a little connection to the modern "Marvel Movie" universe if they plan to connect Thor to the Avengers movie.

As much as a fan of the Vikings as I am, there still has to be at least a little connection to the modern "Marvel Movie" universe if they plan to connect Thor to the Avengers movie.

Yeah, I was thinking that too, but if the THOR-movie takes place mostly in Asgard, then they would probably have to bring in the Donald Blake-character to connect the bridges in an Avengers-movie.

I don't think that will happen in this movie tho Rust.
The script reads more like a Tales of Asgard comic over the regular classic Thor series, and Mark is a fan of ToA so you know where THIS script is coming from.
I hoping Marvel doesn't go the Ulty Thor direction, I would preffer Blake to appear in the end or the second film.

Yeah, I meant that if there's an Avengers-movie then they would have to bring in Blake to connect the far-from-here Asgard setting.

And I hope we never hear about Blake in THIS Thor-movie.

I've never read Tales of Asgard or ANY stand-alone Thor-comic for that matter. I reckon the story mostly takes place in Asgard, but how is Midgard (Earth) portrayed?

EDIT:

I just did a small search for Tales Of Asgard and it didn't look promising. Looks more sci-fi than medieval. More He-Man than Lord of the Rings. Not very fitting in my danish book...

Have you read Son of Asgard? It's basically the same idea as Tales of Asgard.
ToA was basically about Thor growing up.

Only thing is, if all the characters are immortals and all-powerful acient warriors, who is the viewer to identify with?

A movie that allows a man to identify with a god is a movie where the creators have succeeded. imo.

Well the same can be said About Superman. MANY people for years have been fans of Supes and he's not even from the planet, same idea applies.
Thor is based on Myth, which I see many being attracted to.

NEW!!

"I loved Thor!" the screenwriter tells the Herald. "He was my favorite comic book character when I was growing up. When I moved out to L.A. I sold a pretty substantial comic book collection to finance the trip. But I kept all my old Thors."

Protosevich promises that the movie version will deal with the elements that made Thor the god of thunder. "It's going to be like a super hero origin story, but not one about a human gaining super powers, but of a god realizing his true potential. It's the story of a Old Testament god who becomes a new Testament god."

It will be mythic, but also bear the unmistakable qualities of a Marvel movie, an epic fantasy adventure.

"I think it's going to surprise a lot of people," Protosevich the Hollywood writer said. "But I can't work on it right now because I'm on strike."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"