Monarch: Legacy Of Monsters

I just find it hard to believe that a guy like Shaw would willingly stay at that 'retirement' home for all those years without even attempting to escape until the kids came to visit

I mean, they did say it had been years since his last escape, so it is implied that he does have a history of escaping.

Funny how time dilation didn’t affect anyone in GvK. Plus as far as I can remember in KOTM, the entrance to hollow earth was like a whirlpool in the ocean. But then in this and GvK, it’s literal black holes :funny:. Though I guess even in GvK, Godzilla burned a physical hole to the hollow earth and Kong climbed through it so it wasn’t even consistent in the same movie let alone the same verse. Probably best not to think too much about it :oldrazz:.

I mean, the show is implying that the monsters have an effect on the entrances. So reasonable that different Titans have had different effects on the portal. In some ways, the successful trips still seem to be "follow a titan" to an extent.

Interesting episode. Didn't expect Lee to be down there for a short time. Did kind of laugh that he landed in the "foggy region" of the Hollow Earth. But, between the three trips, I think it is okay to see different levels of Hollow Earth.

Loved the Hiroshi and Kentaro meeting.

Happy to see Keiko alive. That will be fun for the finale, and hopefully season 2

I mean, they did say it had been years since his last escape, so it is implied that he does have a history of escaping.

Thanks' I must have missed that part.

Just watched the finale. Well, damn. They stuck the landing. A few over-melodramatic plot points in the 2015 timeline notwithstanding, this is probably my second favorite ensemble of human characters right after Godzilla Minus One. Love Lee, Cate, May, Kentaro, Bill, and Keiko.

The dysfunctional, family melodrama was definitely my least favorite part of this show, but the last 10 minutes of that finale were absolutely fantastic, and I really loved that tease for Season 2 at the end.

Mari Yamamoto's performance was easily the highlight of the episode for me though. Keiko really ended up being one of my favorite characters to come out of this season right next to Lee Shaw.

Really enjoyed this show overall and hopefully it gets renewed.

I liked the finale a lot and it had me wanting more. Overall I thought some episodes were stronger than others but it was overall a good season and easily the best character work we've seen out of this franchise. I would love to see these characters cross over into the films, maybe if they wrap everything up in a Destroy All Monsters type of event movie.

Funny how time dilation didn’t affect anyone in GvK. Plus as far as I can remember in KOTM, the entrance to hollow earth was like a whirlpool in the ocean. But then in this and GvK, it’s literal black holes :funny:. Though I guess even in GvK, Godzilla burned a physical hole to the hollow earth and Kong climbed through it so it wasn’t even consistent in the same movie let alone the same verse. Probably best not to think too much about it :oldrazz:.
So they did explain the time dilation. She’s in on a middle plane of getting to the Hollow Earth, that explains why they need the ships to actually make the trip.

Well, I’m officially a Mari Yamamoto stan now.

That was a good finale. The reunion scene genuinely made me emotional and I really loved the way they handled it. I don’t think the 2015 scenes were the best, mainly because I feel like Hiroshi really didn’t seemed too bothered by the fact that he’s been lying to his children about living dual lives. That said, I liked the finale overall and would really love more of this show. I hope we get info about the future of the show soon.

I don’t think the 2015 scenes were the best, mainly because I feel like Hiroshi really didn’t seemed too bothered by the fact that he’s been lying to his children about living dual lives.

I agree about the 2015 but I have to say
initially I was mixed about Keiko being alive at the end of episode 9, as her "apparent death" was the emotional weight of the ripple effect of generational trauma that spilled all the way to the grandchildren in how they interact with/ treat family or significant others. But Keiko returning really paid off and it satisfyingly felt like though she's abruptly popping back up in Hiroshi, Cate, & Kentaro's lives, she's been the missing piece that will finally allow them all to heal. Still think they could've pulled back on how miserable/cynical the kids were a little but yeah, Keiko coming back retroactively softens me up on a couple of the middle episodes.

So they did explain the time dilation. She’s in on a middle plane of getting to the Hollow Earth, that explains why they need the ships to actually make the trip.

Yeah Axis Mundi itself is not the Hollow Earth, it’s an in between pocket like area. This is the only area where the time dilation exists. It does not exist in the Hollow Earth itself.

Axis Mundi is in the middle between the Hollow Earth and the surface, straight in the middle of where the gravity fluctuations are at their strongest.

Only Axis Mundi has the time dilation, Hollow Earth doesn't since it doesn't experience the heightened gravitational fluctuations that Axis Mundi does.

Last edited:
Good finale and overall good first season.

I just wish they didn't do the tropey - device is unplugged, someone needs to sacrifice themselves and its the lovers that were just reunited...and are already separated again. Lee being alive just....a bit too generic at this point.

What a great show! For the most part, they nailed the human characters and the acting in the final two episodes from Kurt Russell, Mari Yamamoto & Takehiro Hira was unbelievable. So very touching. This is the kind of performance you’d expect to see in a pure family drama, not a TV show set in the MonsterVerse!

Oh and how the show connects to the movies so seamlessly.

Further feedback with some spoilers below:

The highlights:

- The ‘50s flashbacks on Monarch’s origins.
- Each time Godzilla appeared, especially the Castle Bravo incident, its re-awakening in Algeria & of course the finale vs. the Ion Dragon.
- Modern day society in the aftermath of G-day.
- And featuring a younger version of John Goodman’s Bill Randa? Awesome! Another reason to do a MonsterVerse re-watch after completing the show.

What didn’t work:

- Anna Sawai’s delivery didn’t do it for me, same with the actor & actress that played Kentaro & May. Not terrible & maybe a function of the script but the performances were flat. Not a big deal because their stories were all solid.

Last edited:
My wife and I just finished binge watching the series.....friggin fantastic. We loved it. The acting from and the way Kurt and Wyatt's characters were used was fantastic. Seeing Godzilla and other MUTOs pop up was fun and the glimpse into the world post G-Day was great. I want a Godzilla Evacuation Route poster/placard. Further seasons are wanted, but if that doesn't happen, this series ended well.

And there it is. :like:

The spin-offs though interest me. That could be a good way to feature other monsters if they wanted to. Heck, maybe revisit that idea Michael Dougherty had about a pre-historic Titans project.

Cool. Now give me that KierSawai romance that they teased throughout season one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"