Monarch: Legacy Of Monsters

Another great episode and the flashbacks so far have all been pretty awesome. I love how they are expanding on the world-building in the 2014 movie which actually makes it better IMO.

This show is just giving me so much of what I've wanted out of this universe from the start in terms of further developing this Kaiju-verse which is something I've wanted to see since 2014.

I also really hope we see Kurt/Wyatt Russell show up in a future movie at some point. It would be a HUGE shame and a lot of wasted potential if they didn't stick around after this series.

Yeah in three episodes, this show has been better than any of the movies, IMO. Godzilla 2014 looked pretty good but ALL of the characters sucked (talk about wasting a great cast with bad writing). KOTM had awesome monster battles and slightly better characters but it still wasn’t great and they went overboard with the wanton destruction. GvK was fun but was like a complete joke; it was obvious they didn’t care about making it grounded at all. And the characters again were forgettable at best. Skull Island was the only film where I thought they made good use of the actors and the monsters. I would have loved to have seen a direct sequel to that one with Hiddleston, Larson, etc. But maybe they’ll show up here like Goodman did briefly. Regardless, I’m digging Monarch even more than that movie.

Yeah, I’m sure the only person who has ever made that complaint about KOTM.

I'm only 2 episodes in and I don't care for May the Hacker. To me she isn't interesting and feels likes she's just there to provide Cate and Kentaro a solution to a problem they. Hopefully her character improves for me at least. Love the flashback scenes. I think the casting of Wyatt Russell as a young Kurt is great.

Yeah right now May is just kinda tropey, but I think we'll see more of her grow/develop as we move into the back half of the season. Because I feel like they're going to find Hiroshi by the end of episode 5.

I’m really loving this show so far. Wyatt does a perfect impression of his dad, and Kurt is always fun to watch. I also really like Keiko and Bill in the flashbacks, and Christopher Heyerdahl is always great playing loathsome characters. I also really like Kiersey Clemons in this; it’s a shame the DCEU didn’t make better use of her, but then again, with the way that mess turned out it’s probably better that she just escaped that universe relatively unscathed.

I like Cate but I hope there’s eventually a little bit more to her than just being the unknowing daughter along for the ride. Though I do like that she has severe PTSD; so many of these genre movies just seem to show people moving on and living their lives way too normally after something insanely traumatic like the Godzilla/MUTO battle happens. Kentaro is probably my least favorite so far; putting aside that he accidentally put his ex-girlfriend’s life in mortal danger, he also just straight-up left his mom in the clutches of shady Monarch operatives. I know she basically told him to go but no way in hell would I ever have done something like that. Hopefully he redeems himself soon.

Synop for #4 makes note of Kentaro "reflecting on his relationships" so hopefully he get a nice lil boost as they figure out a way to get out of Alaska.

The first episode was excellent, can't wait to continue ASAP. These IP streaming series haven't excited me much of late, but this one seems pretty special. As mentioned, it equals the movies in many ways, obviously not including the insane kaiju action that a show can't afford. I'm excited!

Just caught up to the latest episode after doing a marathon of all the Monsterverse films, and I am really digging it so far. Most of the characters and actors are pretty good, VFX is great, the story is intriguing especially the flashbacks.

I think it’s funny how Anders Holm is supposed to turn into John Goodman‘s Randa over two decades. Quite the transformation, but he still is great and has pretty good chemistry with Russell and Yamamoto.

Last edited:
Weakest episode so far, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. We needed so Kentaro and May background and we got it. Which isn't a bad thing.

Also hello Eve from Frasier! Your a long way from Boston! And it looks like we got some potential emergence event about to happen which is good.

Kurt as always is in top form.

I do miss the 50s Monarch Gang; but I think we're starting to see the beginning of the end of their story in the next few episodes.

Pretty good episode, even if I would have liked going back to the 50's. Its a problem with the dual timeline format they are using.

Cube Jr was a character named Barnes in KOTM, wonder if there is any relation to the field researcher in this episode.

I am going to laugh at the resulting shipping that will be going on after this episode.

Just watched episode 4.

Not gonna lie... the modern characters are starting to irk me a bit. Especially May, who's done nothing but complain and be condescending towards everyone so far. I understand it's important for characters to have flaws so there's room for character development, but so far it's rough to get through. Could have not cared less for her and Kentaro's flashbacks. Really missed the 50's crew on this one.

I am going to laugh at the resulting shipping that will be going on after this episode.

Oh yeah.

Cate and May are definitely becoming an item. It's as obvious as Kurt Russell's character probably turning out to be a villain down the line.

I was not expecting us to get a kaiju fight with Godzilla in this so that is a pleasant surprise.

Also that scene with Shaw and Keiko... yeaaaaaaaaah, I think they're going full throttle with love triangle angle here, and him turning out to be Kentaro and Cate's biological grandpa is 99.5% likely to happen.

Oh yeah. I just don't think people were expecting more than that since it was the only scene we had yet to see.

That being said, and given what was shown in that trailer, I'll try to tolerate the inevitable two love triangles going on in future episodes.

Yeah Apple is basically giving free AppleTV away for just walking into an apple store lol

Man, Kentaro really loves to desert his loved ones when they’re in danger, doesn’t he? :funny:

Solid episode and I don’t mind the flashbacks but May and Cate definitely have more chemistry than May and Kentaro. Anyway, I’m glad our little artist managed to save the others in the end but he still ticked me off in this episode. First, he goes off on his own because he just had to prove he was right, and then just gives up and lays on the ground for God knows how long until his dad’s Force ghost guides him to the outpost. Meanwhile, the rest of the crew is trying to find shelter, builds a fire and ultimately fights a kaiju. I want to like Kentaro but they’re making it tough.

Finished this episode not too long ago, and despite the
lack of kaiju appearances and action,
I ended up enjoying it much more than the previous one. Strong character moments and Kentaro is continuing to grow on me, dude had some genuinely funny and charming moments here which is shocking given how his character has been since the beginning.

A nice rebound episode from 4. Though the tracking was a lil off on my comp which was odd. Maybe high website traffic. A good lil deep dive into Cate, looks like she's more like her Dad than she realizes. Also her talk with her Mom at the end of the episode felt good and now its off to bless the rains down in Africa.

I feel like this is the first time so far that Cate, May & Ken came off as likeable and no super tropey. Though SMH at May at the end.

I do think we could have had a bit more of send off into the back half of the season. Im also surprised how much of the back 5 they put in that first trailer. And it looks like next week it seems we're going back to the 50s for a bit to see more of the Lee/Keiko/Billy trio.

It was a good episode to solidify up Cate, Kentaro, and May as characters. It was needed as a lot of the time in the first three episodes was split with the past, again an issue with the format that I dislike. Fun to see the aftermath of G-Day in San Franscisco, and seeing the lead up to the busses. And Cate definitely takes after her dad.

And as expected, this episode is getting controversial reactions. Novel.

I wonder if the
Africa location they're heading to is in any way to connected to whatever's happening in Cairo in the GxK trailer. Cate and Kentaro's dad could have been exploring possible Hollow Earth portals.

Great episode. Loved seeing Cate’s backstory. I hope her ex-girlfriend is still alive and if so, maybe she can reconcile with her. Maybe not though. Either way, I really enjoyed this episode and I’m excited to see what they find in Africa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"