Mortal Kombat 2021

So the MK Reboot’s latest writer Greg Russo has confirmed on Twitter that

1. The general roster is the same (with cuts and characters included that are omitted...hopefully that means Cole Turner and his stupid family and that the omitted characters are fan faves like Sub Zero, Scorpion, Kitana and Mileena)

2. The leaks were indeed based on an older draft

So the MK Reboot’s latest writer Greg Russo has confirmed on Twitter that

1. The general roster is the same (with cuts and characters included that are omitted...hopefully that means Cole Turner and his stupid family and that the omitted characters are fan faves like Sub Zero, Scorpion, Kitana and Mileena)

2. The leaks were indeed based on an older draft

giphy.gif

If's the case that Sub Zero and Scorpion not in it , the Movie is already Dead for me

It's not like the movie is definitely going to get made. Mortal Kombat movie reboot has been kicked around for like 20 years.

Good to know that nonsense isn't being made into a film.

Thank goodness Greg Russo cleared that up.

Thanks for sharing this. I remember you from way back on IMDb during the MK: Rebirth and Legacy days. Glad to see you've still got passion for this franchise.

Thanks for sharing this. I remember you from way back on IMDb during the MK: Rebirth and Legacy days. Glad to see you've still got passion for this franchise.

Wow...Glad someone remembers my old days of “work” there. Man, you can always count on me to put my reporter/detective hats on when news about MK stuff come up.

Nice to see someone from those days are on forums too.

Wow...Glad someone remembers my old days of “work” there. Man, you can always count on me to put my reporter/detective hats on when news about MK stuff come up.

Nice to see someone from those days are on forums too.

Haha for sure man, I got pretty much all my news back then from you. Looking forward to seeing how this next chapter of MK unfolds. Rebirth/Legacy times were...intense to say the least.

Haha for sure man, I got pretty much all my news back then from you. Looking forward to seeing how this next chapter of MK unfolds. Rebirth/Legacy times were...intense to say the least.

Lmao don’t remind me. So glad that chapter is over

James Wan
?
Verified account

@creepypuppet
1h1 hour ago
More
Please don’t be so easily baited by faux information. Good & bad news: nothing is happening yet. Literally. Still in early development. Anyone who tells you the movie is location scouting or casting is trolling you. #MK

I really hope Wan knocks it out of the park with Aquaman. If he does, then I’ll be more than convinced he’s the right guy for this. Because he’s done horror and he’s done action. If he can tackle the fantastical, then he’s ideal for this franchise because it’s a combination of all of those things.

Thank God, Wan and Russo are willing to be somewhat transparent....especially Russo whom cleared the air on a lot of this stuff.

And make sure it's R rated. Must be.

Once again, what are the chances and likelihood this even gets made? Also, what has Greg Russo done other than getting attached to this film?

I think the main problem you're going to have, and even the original movie suffered from this a bit, is just to juggle the number of characters MK has. That said, I think if anything Infinity War has showed us you can juggle everything if you done the ground work before hand, which would mean having to build up to a movie about the MK tournament. Looking at it now, I wonder if an MK universe on film is actually a viable option, maybe not done with solo film, but maybe with clusters of characters for a few films before last movie about the tournament itself.

Once again, what are the chances and likelihood this even gets made? Also, what has Greg Russo done other than getting attached to this film?

From what I can tell he’s mostly written scripts that have ended up on Blacklist but he’s been apart of several screenwriter Rountables and his perspective on writing whether it’s adapting source material or anything else is rather interesting.

In terms of likelihood of the film getting made , there’s always the chance that when Aquaman is released (hopefully to glowing reception), Wan would be ready to get to work on MK on aspects besides writing/storyboading.

Last edited:
I think the main problem you're going to have, and even the original movie suffered from this a bit, is just to juggle the number of characters MK has. That said, I think if anything Infinity War has showed us you can juggle everything if you done the ground work before hand, which would mean having to build up to a movie about the MK tournament. Looking at it now, I wonder if an MK universe on film is actually a viable option, maybe not done with solo film, but maybe with clusters of characters for a few films before last movie about the tournament itself.

Had the exact same thought. You could easily cluster different characters. Raiden could be the Nick Fury of it all. I’d even say a Johnny Cage film could work as a meta sort of take on the fall of the action star.

Legacy season 1 is a pretty solid template for this honestly. Add in a Shaolin focused entry and you can have all my monies.

Now if it were me, I’d mostly follow the rosters of each game with nothing more than small roles/cameos of characters in later games I mean, here’s the way that the roster of the first three games built up:

MK1:

- Shang Tsung

- Goro

- Liu Kang

- Scorpion

- Subzero

- Johnny Cage

- Sonya

- Reptile

- Kano

- Raiden

MK2:

- Kitana

- Mileena

- Baraka

- Kung Lao

- Kintaro

- Shao Kahn

- Jax

Hidden boss characters: Smoke, Noob Saibot, and Jade

Mortal Kombat 3:

- Kabal

- Motaro

- Nightwolf

- Sektor

- Cyrax

- Ermac

- Rain

- Sindel

- Stryker

- Sheeva

So within a Trilogy of games 30 characters while also rotating some out whether it’s killing them off or some other plot reason.

For instance, you can introduce the roster of MK1 in the first movie with small appearances from Jax, Kung Lao II, Kitana, Mileena, Shao Kahn and Jade

- However you can kill off Shang Tsung, older Subzero and Goro while having Sonya and Kano get captured at the end of the film.

You’d have shown 16 characters in the movie but ended with 13 of them still alive while having 2 of that 13 set up for reduced roles in the sequel.

Now you can go with the roster additions of MK2 and you’d then have a roster of 23 characters shown throughout the film with Kintaro and possibly Baraka killed off. Reducing the roster to 21 characters.

Then in MK3, you can introduce their roster additions while also downplaying the other characters in the way that MK3 vanilla did. You’d start off with about 31 characters shown throughout the film as a whole but have Kitana get locked up for killing Mileena, Johnny Cage get killed by Outworld’s army, Raiden not able to fight alongside the heroes due to the merging of realms, Scorpion deciding to no longer fight for [insert reason here] along with Sheeva, Motaro, Shao Kahn and Shang Tsung all die in battle by the end of the film.

So that would be an active cast of 22 characters by the end of the film trilogy.

Since I highly doubt the 3D era has characters fans truly follow in the same way as they do the originals from the first 3 games

From what I can tell he’s mostly written scripts that have ended up on Blacklist but he’s been apart of several screenwriter Rountables and his perspective on writing whether it’s adapting source material or anything else is rather interesting.

In terms of likelihood of the film getting made , there’s always the chance that when Aquaman is released (hopefully to glowing reception), Wan would be ready to get to work on MK on aspects besides writing/storyboading.

That seems a little overly optimistic. Doesn't he also have a deal on Robotech as well? Then again, I don't see that movie happening either.

Early in development to me means they have no green light and we won't see it if at all for years.

That seems a little overly optimistic. Doesn't he also have a deal on Robotech as well? Then again, I don't see that movie happening either.

Early in development to me means they have no green light and we won't see it if at all for years.

He’s also attached to James Wan’s Resident Evil reboot and he’s gonna be working on an adaptation of the video game F.E.A.R for Machinima.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"