Most Comic Accurate Live Action Designs of Comic Book Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
:funny:

But you know the sad truth of it? Spawn was probably the least embarrassing superhero movie released in 1997.

Spawn is an underrated film. It was accurate to its protagonist, who was a tough translation, and true to the spirit of the comic. The problem is that the scenes in hell are so jarring that viewers are left feeling like they're temporarily watching a late-night SyFy original.

Spawn is an underrated film. It was accurate to its protagonist, who was a tough translation, and true to the spirit of the comic. The problem is that the scenes in hell are so jarring that viewers are left feeling like they're temporarily watching a late-night SyFy original.

I guess the reason why it was a fairly accurate adaptation was because Todd McFarlane produced it. It made sense that it wasn't a complete bastardization because it's his baby. I don't even fault the CGI because that was the best they could do in 1997 on that kind of budget.

But remaining accurate to the comic is simply not enough. Spawn is badly written, is full of unlikable characters, and most of the running time is Spawn wandering around clueless and miserable, and being told what to do by other characters.

I'd happily trade some of Spawn's faithfulness to the source material for a better script and direction.

Last edited:
I guess the reason why it was a fairly accurate adaptation was because Todd McFarlane produced it. It made sense that it wasn't a complete bastardization because it's his baby. I don't even fault the CGI because that was the best they could do in 1997 on that kind of budget.

But if you don't have the budget to do something, don't do it. The scenes with Malbolgia for instance.

There's bad CGI, but there's also overuse of CGI, and Spawn does both.

But remaining accurate to the comic is simply not enough. Spawn is badly written, is full of unlikable characters, and most of the running time is Spawn wandering around clueless and miserable, and being told what to do by other characters.

I'd happily trade some of Spawn's faithfulness to the source material for a better script and direction.

We obviously see that very differently. Simmons was conflicted, as was Terry Fitzgerald. Clown and Priest were both dripping with villainous charisma. All of those characters came across well. I still believe that it was only moderately successful because Spawn's story isn't for everyone.

But if you don't have the budget to do something, don't do it. The scenes with Malbolgia for instance.

I'll certainly agree with that. Less would have been more.

I still believe that it was only moderately successful because Spawn's story isn't for everyone.

Is that also the reason it has a 5.2 score on IMDb, 34% on Metacritic and 18% on Rotten Tomatoes? ;)

But I'm sure there's films I like that you probably think are rubbish too, so I'll shut up now.

latest

the-shadow-blu-ray-pic5.jpg

7892468456380c7875ecca890332ea57.jpg

the-shadow-1994.png

shadow-1994-2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

There's bad CGI, but there's also overuse of CGI, and Spawn does both.

So true. They could have easily done practical fx for help with a more dark and peaka peekaboo kind of framing Malebolgia and the scene could have worked instead they literally did a weekend job right before the movie came out and it shows.

I've never seen this show or film or even heard of this guy, but that's spot on.

Original character began in radio and then went to pulp comics. Or I might have that reversed. Either way, he was a major character in early '30s pulp stories and was a major influence on Batman, ironically enough.

The film was well cast with Alec Baldwin (back in his handsome days) as the Shadow in the '90s. But like all the '90s attempts to turn Greatest Generation pulp into a movie (see also: the Phantom), it ended pretty badly for all involved.

Original character began in radio and then went to pulp comics. Or I might have that reversed. Either way, he was a major character in early '30s pulp stories and was a major influence on Batman, ironically enough.

The film was well cast with Alec Baldwin (back in his handsome days) as the Shadow in the '90s. But like all the '90s attempts to turn Greatest Generation pulp into a movie (see also: the Phantom), it ended pretty badly for all involved.

It's a real shame. I love that post-Batman period in the 90s, where you had Dick Tracy, The Rocketeer, The Shadow and The Phantom....

It's a real shame. I love that post-Batman period in the 90s, where you had Dick Tracy, The Rocketeer, The Shadow and The Phantom....

Rocketeer was great. Which is ironic since it was based on a then-recent comic book evoking that era, as opposed to being an actual property from the '30s or '40s.

You need to watch it asap. It's Alec Baldwin's finest hour.
Alec Baldwin's finest hour involves steak knives. But it's still a really good CBM, which was remade into Batman Begins, indeed. I rewatch it every now and then, but somehow it almost never ends up in people's lists, even mine. Not sure why.
I'd add Darkman, which isn't based on a specific comic book, but inspired by pulpy heroes of the era.

I'd add Darkman, which isn't based on a specific comic book, but inspired by pulpy heroes of the era.

I've got a feeling Sam Raimi tried to make a Shadow movie, couldn't get the rights, and made Darkman instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"