Most Comic Accurate Live Action Designs of Comic Book Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember guys, this is not just about heroes it's EVERYONE from villains to characters like J. Jonah Jameson. Also it's not about naming the "Number 1" person on your list, this thread is for naming all the most comic accurate characters on your list.

Lex Luthor, once Gene Hackman removed his wig.

How could we forget the Silver Surfer in "Fantastic Four: Rise of The Silver Surfer". Surfer was just as accurate as Deadpool and Superman 1978 in my opinion.

DCEU Batman

How? Because the DCEU Batman is a direct conversion of The Dark Knight Returns Batman... and it isn’t even all that accurate to that (wrong bat symbol, for instance.).

No live action Batman has ever really aesthetically nailed the way he looks in the comics, especially the more up to date iterations. Part of the problem with that is that Batman changes his look so much over the years. But if you want a Batman whose costume most closely resembles a well known comic book version, then it’s Adam West’s, because his costume is basically the silver age Batman brought to life.

The correct answer to this thread is Superman The Movie.

Chris Reeve Superman and Deadpool

How? Because the DCEU Batman is a direct conversion of The Dark Knight Returns Batman... and it isn’t even all that accurate to that (wrong bat symbol, for instance.).

No live action Batman has ever really aesthetically nailed the way he looks in the comics, especially the more up to date iterations. Part of the problem with that is that Batman changes his look so much over the years. But if you want a Batman whose costume most closely resembles a well known comic book version, then it’s Adam West’s, because his costume is basically the silver age Batman brought to life.

Okay, it just looked accurate I guess I wasn't looking as hard as I should have been

m1ll3r said:
The correct answer to this thread is Superman The Movie.

Except there is not correct answer, it's not about THE most accurate character just all of the most accurate characters.

I should have put an "s" at the end of characters in the title lol my bad.

BigThor said:
This is not about who the TOP character is, but I'll be making a who is the TOP most accurate character poll based on the most said names in this thread.

Last edited:
Spider-Man (Raimi movies)

I'm intrigued as to why you chose the Raimi Spidey, which I'd argue is less like the comics than either the Amazing Spider-Man 2 costume, or the Homecoming costume.

the-amazing-spider-man-suit-comparison-wwwimgkidcom-spiderman-movie-costume-comparison-l-313c86173ac15d9c.jpg

The Amazing 2 design is a practically faultless 90's MacFarlane/Bagley Spider-Man costume. And the Homecoming costume is very much the Ditko/Romita style, apart from the unnecessary black bands. The mask is absolutely perfect.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued as to why you chose the Raimi Spidey, which I'd argue is less like the comics than either the Amazing Spider-Man 2 costume, or the Homecoming costume.

It just came down to the eyes and the chest logo, really. There's nothing wrong with any of the movie Spider-Man costumes. IMO they're all great except for the Amazing Spider-Man 1 suit which was just different for the sake of being different.

I'd actually say Captain America in the MCU (TFA, WS and CW)

For me it's not about the most literal comic-to-screen translation. I think it's about degree-of-difficulty, particularly if it's a character who has to be played for serious drama.

Cap has a giant 'A' on his forehead FOR GOD'S SAKE and he's dressed like a flag. It's a minor miracle they managed to make that work onscreen and also give him so much dignity.

Good point. Sometimes a literal translation from the comic page is not the way to go...

MV5BNzE0NzE3NmUtYjYzYS00YTViLTgzOWUtYmRiYzlhYWIwNGVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc4Njg5MjA@._V1_.jpg

Good point. Sometimes a literal translation from the comic page is not the way to go...

MV5BNzE0NzE3NmUtYjYzYS00YTViLTgzOWUtYmRiYzlhYWIwNGVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc4Njg5MjA@._V1_.jpg

Literal, but not well-executed. I would argue that the USO suit from TFA is this suit but with much better execution.

It just came down to the eyes and the chest logo, really. There's nothing wrong with any of the movie Spider-Man costumes. IMO they're all great except for the Amazing Spider-Man 1 suit which was just different for the sake of being different.

How about the Nicolas Hammond version?

It looks like a cheap, oddball homemade costume compared to the other ones...but that's what Spidey's costume is supposed to be. In the early comics, Spidey would often get comments about being a weirdo in a kooky costume, which he made himself of course. I think it definitely is an an issue in the modern movies that Spidey's suit is so impressive (something the MCU thankfully recognised and resolved).

8171513f55f943cd0cf3db5cb07aa604.jpg

Surprised no one has mentioned this...

hela-cate-blanchett-2.jpg

IMO it's a great achievement as often crazy designs like Hela's comic book look utterly fail on the big screen.

However, she was both kind of sexy and slinky, but really menacing and a completely legitimate threat. I loved how gracefully they made her movements - and the costume design feeds into all of that.

Last edited:
Seeing Patrick Stewart as Xavier makes me think maybe there should be a seperate thread about comic book accurate looking actors. I grew up adoring Star Trek The Next Generation and thinking how i needed him to be Professor X, and then having my 12 year old self go insane after seeing a commercial for the movie and finding out that Prof. X was him. He'd win that category for me all day.

Seeing Patrick Stewart as Xavier makes me think maybe there should be a seperate thread about comic book accurate looking actors. I grew up adoring Star Trek The Next Generation and thinking how i needed him to be Professor X, and then having my 12 year old self go insane after seeing a commercial for the movie and finding out that Prof. X was him. He'd win that category for me all day.

It's like Stan Lee travelled forward in time from 1961, saw TNG and then decided to base Xavier on Stewart ....

All that aside, it is simply amazing how perfectly Stewart brought Xavier to life.

Yes, on an aside, I think Stewart and McAvoy's characterization of Xavier is actually superior to how he is often depicted in the comics.

Screw it, let's do it bro :highfive:

Yes, on an aside, I think Stewart and McAvoy's characterization of Xavier is actually superior to how he is often depicted in the comics.

Same here, I thought I was the only one.

My younger brother thought the same way you did when we were kids.

Surprised no one has mentioned this...
hela-cate-blanchett-2.jpg

IMO it's a great achievement as often crazy designs like Hela's comic book look utterly fail on the big screen.
She's as accurate as any Catwoman (Selina Kyle) design, there are some changes made that held me back from saying her name here.

My younger brother thought the same way you did when we were kids.

Yeah, I remember long before I ventured onto any online forum, I recall seeing Stewart's name pop up in many a Wizard magazine X-Men movie fancastings before the movie was officially announced. It was probably the most obvious casting choice for a comic book movie apart from Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury....and maybe also Danny DeVito as The Penguin. :o

Christian Bale was also fancast for years as Batman. "Bale, dammit." I think Cumberbatch for Doctor Strange also had years of fan groundswell support.

I didn't even like Bale as Batman all that much, but Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange wow talk about spot on.

I know the movie had its issues, but this was a tough translation that worked out perfectly:

76EmLEa.jpg

4LAYzAy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"